View Full Version : Who In Your Opinion Is The Greatest Trainer Of All Time?

Southpaw16BF
03-08-2010, 01:58 PM
only pick allowed

sonnyboyx2
03-08-2010, 02:26 PM
Ray Arcel is the greatest ever

NChristo
03-08-2010, 02:40 PM
Ray's already been said so

Eddie Futch

BattlingNelson
03-08-2010, 02:45 PM
Eddie Futch. Angelo Dundee and Emanuel Stewart deserves mention as well.

1SILVA
03-08-2010, 02:47 PM
only pick allowed

Eddie Futch

Mike McCallum
Riddick Bowe
Joe Frazier
Ken Norton
Alexis Arguello
Larry Holmes
and many, many more!!!!!!!!!!!

sonnyboyx2
03-08-2010, 03:09 PM
Ray Arcel was cornerman to such legendary talents as Henry Armstrong, Jack Kid Berg, Lou Brouillard, Cerefino Garcia, Sixto Escobar, Kid Gavilan, Benny Leonard, Charley Phil Rosenberg, Barney Ross, Tony Zale, Ezzard Charles, Freddie Steele, Roberto Duran, Larry Holmes and many many more

BennyST
03-09-2010, 08:03 AM
I think I'd have to go with Ray Arcel. So many great champions have been from his corner. Futch is another. Lots of really great trainers though.

Snopkins
03-09-2010, 08:44 AM
Eddie Futch is overrated.

CarlosG815
03-09-2010, 11:36 AM
he also trained berbick and michael spinks who were both champions

mrboxer
03-09-2010, 12:33 PM
the fighter is the one who wins of loses or draws,a trainer just helps a fighter with his training regiment,thats it, he helps a boxer with the taping of his hands holds the pads yells out time and a couple of other little things:boxing:

Junito-Rulez
03-09-2010, 02:50 PM
Floyd Mayweather Sr.

Toney616
03-09-2010, 02:55 PM
Eddie Futch

Mike McCallum
Riddick Bowe
Joe Frazier
Ken Norton
Alexis Arguello
Larry Holmes
and many, many more!!!!!!!!!!!
I agree Futch was a great trainer and trained some great fighters as well. Manny is overrated ive never been impressed with the defensive ablitiles of any of his fighters.

Calilloyd
03-10-2010, 04:10 PM
only pick allowed

Eddie Futch

HaglerSteelChin
03-10-2010, 07:54 PM
I don't think he is the greatest of all time but wanted to give honorable mention to Angelo Dundee. Because he sufferes the same problem Phil Jackson has in the NBA. People say Phil Jackson had Michael Jordan, Kobe Bryant, Shaq etc. But none of those players won anything until Jackson became the head coach. Angelo knew how to work different fighters and i believe got the most out of guys like Ali, SRL, Ramos, old Foreman, Napoles, Ellis, Basillio, Bazooka Gomez, Nunn, Luis Rodriguez etc.

People say nothing special by saying "your blowing it kid" but i have seen so many trainers and corners blow fights by not giving a sense of urgency to fighters. FOr example, Nacho Beristain who is a HOF often plays down the opponents and told Daniel Zaragoza that Eric Morales was a Novato(rookie) and that he didn't need to fear his generic skills, he dosen't tell JMM to go for the Kill when he fights Chris John knowing that they are in indonesia and winning a decision is about as safe as an open cookie jar near Michael Moore. Also remember the DLH vs Trinidad fight, the DLH corner basically tells DLH "a few more rds and we go home", implying the fight is won just hang in there and not be active the last rds.

Ziggy Stardust
03-10-2010, 08:36 PM
1A. Eddie Futch
1B. Ray Arcel

A shout out to Jack Blackburn: Haven't seen him mentioned yet :)

Poet

NonelikeNunn
03-10-2010, 11:24 PM
As far as the greatest thats a hard call but as far as most entertaining in the corner I would pick Teddy Atlas without a second thought. His cornering during the Moorer/Holyfield fight was pure gold hilarity. Also Emanual Steward has had some good moments especially when he was young and would get overexcited and leap through the ropes like a ninja during round breaks.

sonnyboyx2
03-11-2010, 02:26 AM
1A. Eddie Futch
1B. Ray Arcel

A shout out to Jack Blackburn: Haven't seen him mentioned yet :)

Poet

Ray Arcel taught Eddie Futch his trade.

The Beatles
03-11-2010, 02:54 AM
Angelo Dundee

Muhammad Ali, Carmen Basilio, Ralph Dupas, Jimmy Ellis, George Foreman, Slobodan Kacar, Sugar Ray Leonard, Jose Napoles, Michael Nunn, Willie Pastrano, Sugar Ramos, Luis Manuel Rodriguez, Pinklon Thomas

JAB5239
03-11-2010, 03:05 AM
Lot of great trainers named and deservedly so. Im partial to the guys like Futch, Arcel and Steward who actually devoled guys above those who just took over talented careers.

cooper5
03-11-2010, 05:17 AM
Since Futch and Dundee have been named, I'd like to give honorable mention to Lou Duva. Brought up those guys from the olympics Pernell Whitaker, Evander Holyfield, Meldrick Taylor, Tyrell Biggs. He also trained Rocky Lockridge, Johnny Bumphas and Vernon Forrest from the begining. I believe he trained these guys he trained from their debut to their title run. Many trainers join fighters after they are champions for the big money, after they have been taught the basics.

Ziggy Stardust
03-11-2010, 09:43 AM
Since Futch and Dundee have been named, I'd like to give honorable mention to Lou Duva. Brought up those guys from the olympics Pernell Whitaker, Evander Holyfield, Meldrick Taylor, Tyrell Biggs. He also trained Rocky Lockridge, Johnny Bumphas and Vernon Forrest from the begining. I believe he trained these guys he trained from their debut to their title run. Many trainers join fighters after they are champions for the big money, after they have been taught the basics.

Mostly it was George Benton doing the actual training though.

Poet