View Full Version : Ruben Hurricane Carter

MARKBNLV
03-08-2010, 12:43 AM
So i have been watching some of his old fights ,and the dude did not look that special ,plus his final record was 27-12 not very good in the movie they portray him as some all time great who got his career cut short.i have watched the benton and griffith fights.

sonnyboyx2
03-08-2010, 02:29 AM
So i have been watching some of his old fights ,and the dude did not look that special ,plus his final record was 27-12 not very good in the movie they portray him as some all time great who got his career cut short.i have watched the benton and griffith fights.

The Movie is far removed from his factual life... Carter was a good enough fighter but he was far from an ATG.. he fought in Britain a couple of times losing to Liverpools Harry Scott.

Joey Giardello
03-08-2010, 12:59 PM
Carter was world class and in his prime was one of the best middleweights in the world beating george benton, future heavyweight champion jimmy ellis, stopped atg and the very durable emile griffith in a round! and also got the big punching florentino fernandez out of there in a round! carter lost close fights to former middleweight champions joey archer and joey giardello. If he was around today he would be world champion!

Joey Giardello
03-08-2010, 01:05 PM
The Movie is far removed from his factual life... Carter was a good enough fighter but he was far from an ATG.. he fought in Britain a couple of times losing to Liverpools Harry Scott.

What you forgot to mention was that carter stopped harry scott in there first fight in 9 rounds, scotts face was a mess so the ref stopped it, carter was 5 or 6 rounds ahead when he stopped scott. Carter was better than just a good middleweight in his prime he was one of the best middleweights in the world

TheGreatA
03-08-2010, 01:11 PM
<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/k0LQ5EXSNXI&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/k0LQ5EXSNXI&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

sonnyboyx2
03-08-2010, 01:41 PM
What you forgot to mention was that carter stopped harry scott in there first fight in 9 rounds, scotts face was a mess so the ref stopped it, carter was 5 or 6 rounds ahead when he stopped scott. Carter was better than just a good middleweight in his prime he was one of the best middleweights in the world

you are exagerating... here is an excerpt from a British fight rag.

After defending his central area title against Alfie Matthews in Liverpool, Harry was offered a fight with Rubin Carter who was looking to get his career back on track following defeats by Joey Giardello, in a world title fight, and Luis Rodriguez. Promoter Mickey Duff argued over the purse that Scott's management were demanding saying that he never paid anyone 1,000 (around $2,000). The truth was he couldn't get an opponent for Carter and in the end relented. Of that March 9, 1965 fight, Harry remembers being cut in the third, but fighting on until the ninth when he was still in it. The cut was not as bad as some he had seen or suffered before, but the referee saw fit to call a halt. A rematch the following month saw a bizarre start to a memorable fight for Scott.

"The bell went for the first round and I walked across the ring and he was still in his corner with his back to me - they forgot to put his gum-shield in! Me being stupid tapped him on the shoulder instead of just reaching around and punching him - he spun around and hit me with a right hook right on the chin. The next thing I remember it was the sixth round."

Scott, who had never been on the canvas before, rallied to win the ten-round verdict. Following his victory, he called his wife, who was waiting anxiously for news at home in Liverpool. She told him that the report had been on the evening news and that he had come back from a first round knockdown to win on points. Nevertheless, Harry insisted that he not been down in the fight!

Harry's lack of true 'killer instinct', which he regards as his greatest flaw as a fighter, nearly cost him dearly. Several years down the line it did cost him as he lost his last fight simply because he didn't want to hurt the young novice they had put in front of him. He knew then that it was time to quit.

S.G.
03-08-2010, 01:48 PM
I just like the Bob Dylan song!

cooper5
03-09-2010, 05:12 AM
He was a top contender, probably not much more. His win over Griffith was great. Ironic but Dylan made him more famous than ever.

MARKBNLV
03-11-2010, 02:01 AM
<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/k0LQ5EXSNXI&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/k0LQ5EXSNXI&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

that was a brutal ass ko