View Full Version : Who were the most one-dimensional ATG's

mhager91490
03-07-2010, 05:02 PM
What guys could only do one thing but made a great career out of it?

CarlosG815
03-07-2010, 05:30 PM
ATG and one dimensional? I don't know if that's possible. There are fighters who have had great success despite being one dimensional, but I don't think they make the ATG list.

Earnie Shavers
David Tua
Tommy Morrison

all come to mind. Pac seemed to be one dimensional for a long time, although he's looked more well rounded for the past 3-4 years.

TBear
03-07-2010, 05:41 PM
Marciano, if he had to box and move, it would have been a funny sight to see.

billionaire
03-07-2010, 06:14 PM
foreman
frazier

AKATheMack
03-07-2010, 06:18 PM
Roy Jones. Everything he had stemmed from unbelievable athleticism.

frankenfrank
03-09-2010, 09:18 AM
foreman
frazier

yes , frazier too , but what option did he have ? to be a chris byrd ?

Canada
03-09-2010, 10:43 AM
Jung Koo Chang. Put the pressure on, threw as many shots as physically possible and more often that not, it got the job done.

Snopkins
03-09-2010, 04:44 PM
yes , frazier too , but what option did he have ? to be a chris byrd ?

Of course not.frazier never had the skill to be anything like Chris byrd.

THE REED™
03-09-2010, 04:45 PM
Roy Jones. Everything he had stemmed from unbelievable athleticism.

Roy is not one dimensional.

Nick Fury
03-09-2010, 08:33 PM

Agreed....Roy is far from one dimensional.

I have to go with Joe Frazier. Ridiculous left hook, but unfortunately that's really all he had.

AKATheMack
03-09-2010, 08:35 PM

I know he's not.

Still Burner
03-09-2010, 08:46 PM
Rocky Marciano.

Snopkins
03-10-2010, 05:10 PM

I have to go with Joe Frazier. Ridiculous left hook, but unfortunately that's really all he had.

Not that his hook was all that good either.Frazier threw the hook as consistently as he did because of the angle of his left arm.

Frazier had snapped it while rolling around with pigs in his youth.

Rocky Marciano.

Which makes Joe Louis look even worse.

Royalty
03-10-2010, 05:13 PM
Not that his hook was all that good either.Frazier threw the hook as consistently as he did because of the angle of his left arm.

I hope you're joking.

Which makes Joe Louis look even worse.

Maybe it's because Louis was old and past his prime?

Snopkins
03-10-2010, 05:16 PM
I hope you're joking.

Who would I joke to,you?

You seem like the miserable type,so probably not

Maybe it's because Louis was old and past his prime?

Louis had a greater pulse than the average opponent that he had faced thoughout his career.

Louis certainly wasn't legally blind or heavily sedated when he fought Marciano either

Royalty
03-10-2010, 05:25 PM
Who would I joke to,you?

What about me makes me seem miserable? I just think that saying Frazier's left hook wasn't that good is laughable.

Louis had a greater pulse than the average opponent that he had faced thoughout his career.

Louis certainly wasn't legally blind or heavily sedated when he fought Marciano either

Louis consistently fought top 10 ranked opponents in his career. Just because they couldn't beat him doesn't mean they weren't good fighters.

So you're saying that you'd only excuse a fighter from losing if he was blind or heavily sedated? Wow..

Ziggy Stardust
03-10-2010, 08:39 PM
What about me makes me seem miserable? I just think that saying Frazier's left hook wasn't that good is laughable.

Louis consistently fought top 10 ranked opponents in his career. Just because they couldn't beat him doesn't mean they weren't good fighters.

So you're saying that you'd only excuse a fighter from losing if he was blind or heavily sedated? Wow..

He's a troll who gets banned every three or four days. His previous incarnations are Princemanspoper and Slimey Limey. He'll be gone again REAL soon.

Poet

Ziggy Stardust
03-10-2010, 08:40 PM
Who would I joke to,you?

Red-Ked, reported, and ignored.

Poet

Royalty
03-10-2010, 08:57 PM
He's a troll who gets banned every three or four days. His previous incarnations are Princemanspoper and Slimey Limey. He'll be gone again REAL soon.

Poet

Well, then.. that figures.

Obama
03-10-2010, 10:57 PM
For the record that "one dimensional" style of Joe Frazier isn't exactly authentic. He took it from Henry Armstrong.

Of all the "one dimensional" ATGs, Henry Armstrong was unquestionably the best. His secret? His heart was 20% larger than normal.

One more round
03-11-2010, 12:20 AM

Ridiculous. Joe had good head movement, good stamina, decent speed, could cut the ring off and had a decent chin with plenty of heart, not a one dimensional fighter.

them_apples
03-11-2010, 02:49 AM
Ridiculous. Joe had good head movement, good stamina, decent speed, could cut the ring off and had a decent chin with plenty of heart, not a one dimensional fighter.

you were right about all those things, but he was one dimensional. As we saw what happens when he comes up against a guy like Foreman, no plan B.

multi dimensional is a guy like Leonard or Roy Jones, has something to bring to the table against all type of styles.

them_apples
03-11-2010, 02:50 AM

guys like Tony Galento made up the top 10. I rate Louis high because at the time, those were the top dogs, and he handled them for a long period of time. But don't kid yourself, they weren't world beaters.

JAB5239
03-11-2010, 03:01 AM
guys like Tony Galento made up the top 10. I rate Louis high because at the time, those were the top dogs, and he handled them for a long period of time. But don't kid yourself, they weren't world beaters.

The same can be said in almost every other heavyweight era to, no?

pacmanis1
03-11-2010, 03:06 AM
I hate to say it because I love the man but Frazier. Yes he was amazing at what he did but like others before me have said he had no plan b. Great head movement, amazing left hook, could cut off the ring, but there was not plan b. Not to say he wasn't great as few men could get past plan a but there was no plan b.

them_apples
03-11-2010, 04:24 AM
The same can be said in almost every other heavyweight era to, no?

no doubt, the HW division has had a bleak running aside from it's few strong points.

The HW division really only was solid from the the late 60's (mostly when Ali came on the scene) to the 90's. right now we are right back where we were before. One dude (in this case 2) beating all the other bums. It's really bum of the month club right now.

Ziggy Stardust
03-11-2010, 09:38 AM

Of course, in the 80s guys like Tony Tubbs and Trevor Berbick routinely made the top-10. Even in the Golden Age of the 70s Heavys a tub of goo like Buster Mathis made the top-10.

Poet

Snopkins
03-11-2010, 12:19 PM
Except Mathis was a legitimately skilled heavyweight who was alot more athletic than his appearance would tell you.The only thing you can knock Mathis about is his weight.

I personally wouldn't do such a thing as the man is dead and unlike some,I have enough class not to mock the illness of which contributed to the mans death.

buster Mathis and any of the drug addicted underachieving heavyweights of the 1980's>>>>>>>>Tony Galento and the vast majority of the no hopers Louis was picking off.

them_apples
03-11-2010, 12:23 PM
Of course, in the 80s guys like Tony Tubbs and Trevor Berbick routinely made the top-10. Even in the Golden Age of the 70s Heavys a tub of goo like Buster Mathis made the top-10.

Poet

the 80's were pretty bad as well. The 70's had a solid list however. In particular though, could I have a list of the top 10 during Louis reign (doesn't matter at which point)?. Tony Galento always stood out to me because I don't even think he could cut it in todays division, he was that bad. It's not a knock against Louis, who handled him pretty easily (aside from the flash kd).

Royalty
03-11-2010, 01:23 PM
the 80's were pretty bad as well. The 70's had a solid list however. In particular though, could I have a list of the top 10 during Louis reign (doesn't matter at which point)?. Tony Galento always stood out to me because I don't even think he could cut it in todays division, he was that bad. It's not a knock against Louis, who handled him pretty easily (aside from the flash kd).

Here's the list of the heavyweight rankings by The Ring magazine for the 1930s and the 1940s:

http://boxrec.com/media/index.php/The_Ring_Magazine%27s_Annual_Ratings:_Heavyweight--1930s

http://boxrec.com/media/index.php/The_Ring_Magazine%27s_Annual_Ratings:_Heavyweight--1940s

Snopkins
03-11-2010, 03:26 PM
All that shows is how crap an era it was for the heavyweights back then.