View Full Version : OUCH, FF13 only gets an 8.4 on IGN

Earl Hickey
03-05-2010, 10:50 PM
http://au.ps3.ign.com/articles/107/1074667p2.html

A big hitter like this wants a 9 at the very least.

Verstyle
03-05-2010, 11:16 PM
Being like the thousandth one maybe they're getting tired of them?

Earl Hickey
03-05-2010, 11:25 PM

The thing is, they completley removed towns from the game, and I have heard there are no sidequests, it is just go from A to B in a straight line, while fighting enemies.

-Hyperion-
03-05-2010, 11:27 PM

not really since ff is infamous for changing the game mechanics everytime......the main criticism of this game appears to be the huge linearity on the first half of the game....which is supposed to be a huge no-no for an RPG....

Ether
03-06-2010, 12:25 AM
IGN US will give it maybe 9.0.. especially since they're waiting til monday to post it. if it is in the 8's though i'd be surprised, but it is what it is. Edge magazine gave it a 5/10.

Ether
03-06-2010, 12:32 AM
****tt, Gamespot gave it a 8.5. Owned.

ME2 just might be RPG of the year, not sure if fallout vegas will top it.. and FFversus 13 won't make it this year.

Ether
03-06-2010, 12:33 AM
Still getting FF13 regardless, you should too.

sleazyfellow
03-06-2010, 01:46 AM
Still getting FF13 regardless, you should too.

Yeah I dont really follow what scores what games get from these sites, but I havent got a FF game since FF4 on the DS...the series just dont do it for me anymore.

Equilibrium
03-06-2010, 02:08 AM
Turn based rpgs stopped being relevant years ago. Just picking skills from a list and looking at the characters do it was fine back in the day but in 2010 it ****ing sucks.

Games have evolved and turn based combat systems don't seem so apppealing when you compare them to Oblivion, Fable or Mass effect 2.

I had not followed FF 13 but i was sure i was going to buy it. I didn't play FF12 but i heard the combat was much more hands on, so i figuered FF13 would be even better.

But no, they take a step back and go to turn based combat once again. So i won't even bother. Plus from all the reviews they say the first 20-30 hours are linear. The point of rpgs are NOT to be linear. If i want linear i'll play a shooter and atleast the action will be fun.

Grand Champ
03-06-2010, 07:22 AM
It's going to suck balls :D

Grand Champ
03-06-2010, 07:23 AM
Turned based rpgs stopped being relevant years ago. Just picking skills from a list and look at the characters do it was fine back in the day but in 2010 it ****ing sucks.

Games have evolved and turn based combat systems don't seem so apppealing when you compare them to Oblivion, Fable or Mass effect 2.

I had not followed FF 13 but i was sure i was going to buy it. I didn't play FF12 but i heard the combat was much more hands on, so i figuered FF13 would be even better.

But no, they take a step back and go to turn based combat once again. So i won't even bother. Plus from all the reviews they say the first 20-30 hours are linear. The point of rpgs are NOT to be linear. If i want linear i'll play a shooter and atleast the action will be fun.

I'm with Equilibrium on this one..!

Earl Hickey
03-06-2010, 05:42 PM
I actually like turn based, I'm more concerned with the lack of sidequests, I'll buy it anyway

Biolink
03-06-2010, 06:41 PM
Don't even remember the last Turn-Based RPG I played.

Real-Time is where its at this point.

If its Turn-Based it has to be very creative to draw me in. I'm not going to buy it just because it has a name attached to it.

Earl Hickey
03-06-2010, 06:48 PM
Don't even remember the last Turn-Based RPG I played.

Real-Time is where its at this point.

If its Turn-Based it has to be very creative to draw me in. I'm not going to buy it just because it has a name attached to it.

If it's real time, then it has to be done very well, imo Oblivion, and Fallout 3 is not done well, both are very good games DESPITE their combat, Mass Effect 2 has the best real time combat in any rpg game in my opinion.

I like the tactical, chess match type combat that a good turn based system provides.

Biolink
03-06-2010, 07:21 PM
If it's real time, then it has to be done very well, imo Oblivion, and Fallout 3 is not done well, both are very good games DESPITE their combat, Mass Effect 2 has the best real time combat in any rpg game in my opinion.

I like the tactical, chess match type combat that a good turn based system provides.

I haven't played any of those games.

I was thinking more among the lines of Star Ocean(1, 2, 3, or 4), the Tales Of... series(Tales of Symphonia was an awesome game), Kingdom Hearts 1 and 2, Secret of Mana., etc... All the combat is real time.

Ryn0
03-06-2010, 08:58 PM
One I don't take into account anything other than IGN US.

And two since when is 8.4 a bad score?

Ryn0
03-06-2010, 09:03 PM
****tt, Gamespot gave it a 8.5. Owned.

ME2 just might be RPG of the year, not sure if fallout vegas will top it.. and FFversus 13 won't make it this year.
RPG of the year is way too early to count
FF14, Fable 3, Alpha Protocol, Resonance Of Fate (perhaps), 3D Dot Game Heroes among others.

Mass Effect 2 was excellent (just finished it) but there are still plenty of great RPG's left and still a year to go.

Ryn0
03-06-2010, 09:10 PM

You didn't think the VATS system was good? I thought it was excellent, Oblivion had good combat too personally.

I just HATE turn based games, they drain the flow of the game. In fact the only turn based game this Gen that I REALLY enjoyed was Valkyria Chronicles if you can even call it that. All others just felt obsolete. The Turn Based RPG is dying because it's and outdated mechanic. There will still be the niche turn based RPG but it's dying out on the home console. The DS is probably where they will turn up most.

Personally, I found FF10 tedious as well. FF12 was a much improved battle system that I truly enjoyed. Also, I slogged through ff10 with my reward being Tidus crying for the millionth time?

And while Mass Effect 2 is technically a real time combat system it's not an RPG system. Mass Effect is part TPS and part RPG the real time combat system is really a third person shooter with some biotic powers. Personally, I think KOTOR has the best real time battle system of any RPG.

PR13
03-06-2010, 09:13 PM
http://au.ps3.ign.com/articles/107/1074667p2.html

A big hitter like this wants a 9 at the very least.

Dont matter to me, it looks like is like FF-X wich I loved very much, you cant always pay atention to those reviews, go for what you like.

Earl Hickey
03-07-2010, 12:45 AM
You didn't think the VATS system was good? I thought it was excellent, Oblivion had good combat too personally.

I just HATE turn based games, they drain the flow of the game. In fact the only turn based game this Gen that I REALLY enjoyed was Valkyria Chronicles if you can even call it that. All others just felt obsolete. The Turn Based RPG is dying because it's and outdated mechanic. There will still be the niche turn based RPG but it's dying out on the home console. The DS is probably where they will turn up most.

Personally, I found FF10 tedious as well. FF12 was a much improved battle system that I truly enjoyed. Also, I slogged through ff10 with my reward being Tidus crying for the millionth time?

And while Mass Effect 2 is technically a real time combat system it's not an RPG system. Mass Effect is part TPS and part RPG the real time combat system is really a third person shooter with some biotic powers. Personally, I think KOTOR has the best real time battle system of any RPG.

I thought Vats was good, but other than that the combat was bad, same with oblivion, the combat had no "impact" to it, hitting some guy 5 times with an axe before he falls over just seemed weird, it's different in turn based imo.

Ether
03-07-2010, 02:07 AM
Well FF13 is being praised for it's battle system, regardless if turn based. I prefer both active or wait, FFX was sick. Edge Magazine ripped the game to shreds but atleast commended the battle system. Apparently the first 30 hours aren't as good and the game doesn't kick in til after about 17-30 hours in.

Earl, what do you know about The Last Guardian ?

Irish Hitman
03-07-2010, 01:30 PM
FF13 is similar to the movie Avatar in my opinion the spend millions on graphics but nothing on plot/story

one-Punch
03-07-2010, 02:18 PM
I am not a FF fan, I am also not a fanboy, but my buddy told me that they really had alot of limitations in the making of this game. I doubt 360 users want 4 disc to come with the game. I guess the game was suppose to be open world to.

$partacus
03-07-2010, 02:29 PM
I am not a FF fan, I am also not a fanboy, but my buddy told me that they really had alot of limitations in the making of this game. I doubt 360 users want 4 disc to come with the game. I guess the game was suppose to be open world to.

Yep, i bet they had to change and strip out a lot to make it for the 360. I'm looking forward to Versus 13, which won't suffer because of the 360's lack of disc space.

Tuggers1986
03-07-2010, 03:28 PM
Blah blah blah.

Opinions are like arseholes... everybody has one!

How many times has a professional critic slated a movie that you have ended up loving.

How people can judge a game on a rating before they have even played it is beyond me. People are putting FF13 down in this thread as if they already own it. Fair enough it might end up being **** but atleast give it a go before you make up your mind

one-Punch
03-07-2010, 05:35 PM
Blah blah blah.

Opinions are like arseholes... everybody has one!

How many times has a professional critic slated a movie that you have ended up loving.
How people can judge a game on a rating before they have even played it is beyond me. People are putting FF13 down in this thread as if they already own it. Fair enough it might end up being **** but atleast give it a go before you make up your mind

I am not an FF fan. Never have been.

But you are right about the movie comparison. Happens all the time.

Tuggers1986
03-07-2010, 05:44 PM
Im not really a huge fan either but I played FF8 10 years ago and really enjoyed it so im more than willing to give this a whirl.

If it doesnt live up to the hype then so what, it's only a computer game

Tuggers1986
03-07-2010, 05:52 PM
Well FF13 is being praised for it's battle system, regardless if turn based. I prefer both active or wait, FFX was sick. Edge Magazine ripped the game to shreds but atleast commended the battle system. Apparently the first 30 hours aren't as good and the game doesn't kick in til after about 17-30 hours in.

Earl, what do you know about The Last Guardian ?

I think Edge giving the game 5/10 only points to one thing and that is that they were probably expecting far too much of the game.

I can imagine we've all looked forward to a movie so much that when you see it you feel let down and disappointed. Then when you have a chance to look back and reflect you realise that it is actually good but you just feel disappointed because you expected more.

Am I right in saying that FF7 was very lineal at the beginning?? It was as far as I remember and all people who know the game know it is rated very very highly amongst Final Fantasy AND oldschool game fans

Ether
03-07-2010, 06:23 PM
I think Edge giving the game 5/10 only points to one thing and that is that they were probably expecting far too much of the game.

Or maybe they're just harsh pricks? IGN giving White Knight Chronicles a 5 was deserved, this place giving FF13 a 5 is a joke, and unrealistic.

I can imagine we've all looked forward to a movie so much that when you see it you feel let down and disappointed. Then when you have a chance to look back and reflect you realise that it is actually good but you just feel disappointed because you expected more.

Reminds me of The Sopranos finale.

Am I right in saying that FF7 was very lineal at the beginning?? It was as far as I remember and all people who know the game know it is rated very very highly amongst Final Fantasy AND oldschool game fans

FF7 was groundbreaking at its time, 1997 there was nothing like it. And the writing was superb, but yeah.. i guess it was linear at the beginning.

i also will say Chrono Cross was another amazing turn based game.

- v e t -
03-07-2010, 06:29 PM
dont mind Inferno, he's just a hater

:nonono:

BOLLOCKS
03-07-2010, 06:30 PM
8.4 isn't a bad rating.

Earl Hickey
03-07-2010, 07:25 PM
How many times Veteran, i'm not Inferno, I'm JB.Money

And besides, im not a hater, i already said i'm buying the game anyway, but for a game 5 years in development, and with a history like Final Fantasy, 8.4 is sub par. IMO

Tuggers1986
03-08-2010, 01:45 PM
How many times Veteran, i'm not Inferno, I'm JB.Money

And besides, im not a hater, i already said i'm buying the game anyway, but for a game 5 years in development, and with a history like Final Fantasy, 8.4 is sub par. IMO

But just like we keep saying, 8.4/10 is nothing more than one persons opinion of the game.

$partacus
03-08-2010, 02:12 PM
But just like we keep saying, 8.4/10 is nothing more than one persons opinion of the game.

I agree, just because a game didn't get super high review scores doesn't mean you won't enjoy it. Lost Odyssey got scores in the low 8's but i really enjoyed the game.

-Rab
03-08-2010, 05:08 PM
If they rated this game lower than s**ty ass FFXII it does make me think....WTF.

checkmate18x
03-08-2010, 05:31 PM
It got a 7.9 on the U.S. IGN site. Boo.

Earl Hickey
03-08-2010, 06:15 PM
It got a 7.9 on the U.S. IGN site. Boo.

Jeez, thats harsh as ****.

I'm going to buy it tomorrow anyway, ill tell you lot how it is.

-Rab
03-08-2010, 08:14 PM
Yea, I'm also planning to buy it tomorrow morning. I know it's going to be great but damm i can't understand why such low f**king scores... FAMITSU which is pretty much the experts in japanese gaming, gave it a 39/40 which is one point away from being perfect.

Equilibrium
03-09-2010, 06:59 PM
Even with everything i said, today i traded in games at gamestop. They didnt have the game i wanted to get so i got FF13 anyway, i'm going to give it a chance.

Frank Martin
03-10-2010, 03:50 AM
Basing on reviews, Im kinda dissapointed. Maybe they focused too much on the graphics. And yeah I watch the demo and feels dissapointed too. If you played the series starting at the PS one era, you will notice the character designs are recycled. Side quest and other stuffs are the secret behind FF's success and they made a mistake by removing it. And dont expect anything good on the sequel. FFXIV will be a MMORPG just like FFXI.

Equilibrium
03-10-2010, 07:00 AM
I played about an hour, very underwhelming so far. Of course it's still basically the tutorial but the combat seems very shallow, you can only control the main character. Using 1 potion heals your full party to full health, too.

If 10 hours in i'm still getting through all the fights by only hitting auto combat imma trade that **** in.

It looks very good graphically though.

USA4LIFE
03-10-2010, 03:30 PM
I played about an hour, very underwhelming so far. Of course it's still basically the tutorial but the combat seems very shallow, you can only control the main character. Using 1 potion heals your full party to full health, too.

If 10 hours in i'm still getting through all the fights by only hitting auto combat imma trade that **** in.

It looks very good graphically though.

The game is 50 to 60 hours long man and all you'll give it is 10 hours, i guess you dont play much rpg's.

I stopped hitting auto combat like an hour into the game, I like to do things myself, once you get the option to paradigm shift you should enjoy the combat a little bit more, at least I did. Once you get more skills and magic you shouldn't need auto combat, you'll have too many attack options you'll want to do it yourself.

COYS
03-10-2010, 05:04 PM
im a big FF fan and im loving this game, im about 5 hours in the battle system is good, i like the roles u can choose and the paradigm shifts are cool. only controling 1 player is different but i cant say it bothers me that much.

i reckon serahs focus was to get the others to the fal'cie...... but who knows, the story seems good tho, a lot better than FF12 allready