View Full Version : Greatest Pinoy fighter of all time

Kaloocboy
05-21-2005, 03:06 PM
It has always been the late great "Flash" Elorde. What will the Pacman have to accomplish to be considered the greatest of all time? Or has he already surpassed the legend?

cple
05-21-2005, 03:22 PM
Pancho Villa is generally regarded as the greatest Filipino fighter of all-time. Then there are others such as Flash Elorde and Cerefino Garcia.

Pacquiao still has a ways to go to be considered the greatest.

tracylee
05-21-2005, 03:29 PM
It has always been the late great "Flash" Elorde. What will the Pacman have to accomplish to be considered the greatest of all time? Or has he already surpassed the legend?

He has massive power, but really needs to improve on technique. The others youre talking about were also good boxers..not just power punchers. Pac needs some work to be both. You cant pass up legends with a great punch alone

Kaloocboy
05-22-2005, 10:46 AM
I understand from the boxing fans point of view that Pancho Villa could be considered the best Pinoy boxer of all time, but living in the Philippines, even to this day all the people talk about is "Flash" Elorde.

dangerousity
05-22-2005, 04:32 PM
so does this mean your philopino?

Manny_P
05-22-2005, 06:28 PM
I bear his name.

Kaloocboy
05-23-2005, 10:46 AM
Pinoy Pride Baby!

Mr. Ryan
05-23-2005, 09:25 PM
I'll tell you, it's tough. There have been so many great Filipino fighters, like Elorde, Penalosa, Villa, Villaflor, and Garcia. I have seen tons of tape from all of the greats, but it's hard to say when you aren't living in that moment. There are moments when I see Pacquiao tearing into Barrera, playing yo-yo with Marquez, and slugging it out with Morales that I swear Pacquiao is the greatest ASIAN fighter of all time.

cple
05-23-2005, 11:15 PM
I'll tell you, it's tough. There have been so many great Filipino fighters, like Elorde, Penalosa, Villa, Villaflor, and Garcia. I have seen tons of tape from all of the greats, but it's hard to say when you aren't living in that moment. There are moments when I see Pacquiao tearing into Barrera, playing yo-yo with Marquez, and slugging it out with Morales that I swear Pacquiao is the greatest ASIAN fighter of all time.

That's a bit of a stretch. Pacquiao isn't in Fighting Harada's league.

Mr. Ryan
05-24-2005, 01:50 PM
That's a bit of a stretch. Pacquiao isn't in Fighting Harada's league.
I never said he was the greatest, I'm just saying that since I didn't live in the moment with Harada or Galaxy, it's hard for me to say. I can watch tape all day, it don't make a difference.

*AKO PA HA!
11-06-2006, 04:27 PM
I bear his name.
manny "pacman" pacquiao!

+= El Jefe=+
11-06-2006, 04:28 PM
Pancho Villa is generally regarded as the greatest Filipino fighter of all-time. Then there are others such as Flash Elorde and Cerefino Garcia.

Pacquiao still has a ways to go to be considered the greatest.

didnt he die real young???

cyberthugpatrol
11-06-2006, 04:30 PM
Pacquiao is without a doubt the greatest Pinoy boxer of all time.

Mr. Ryan
11-06-2006, 04:34 PM
It's going to be hard for me to say anything but Pacquiao because I wasn't around when Flash Elorde or Pancho Villa were in the game. I can say with great certainty that Pacquiao had the most impact on the sport.

Mr. Ryan
11-06-2006, 04:36 PM
didnt he die real young???

He died I think at 23 when he he had oral surgery to remove a bad tooth, then spent the rest of the week on a drinking and whoring binge, dying of a mouth infection.

flipside
11-06-2006, 05:13 PM
flash elorde's career is taught in primary school

Chups
11-06-2006, 05:41 PM
1. Elorde
2. Pancho Villa
3. Pacquiao
4. Ceferino
5. Dodie Boy

mr. bojangles
11-06-2006, 09:32 PM

...and how about reminiscing Ceferino Garcia trading bolo punches with Fred Apostoli, Henry Armstrong and Barney Ross... Flash Elorde outboxing Ismael Laguna (who holds a W against the great Lightweight Carlos Ortiz) and Sandy Saddler (who owns the great featherweight Willie Pep)...Pancho Villa mugging Jimmy Wilde (considered as 'the Greatest Flyweight of all time')...

yep, it's tough to decide who's who...but, at the moment Pancho Villa still holds the distinction as 'the greatest Asian fighter in boxing history' and Flash Elorde as 'the greatest Filipino fighter of all time'. let's see how Pacquiao's career pans out in the following years..he's surely catching up

flipside
11-06-2006, 11:04 PM
...and how about reminiscing Ceferino Garcia trading bolo punches with Fred Apostoli, Henry Armstrong and Barney Ross... Flash Elorde outboxing Ismael Laguna (who holds a W against the great Lightweight Carlos Ortiz) and Sandy Saddler (who owns the great featherweight Willie Pep)...Pancho Villa mugging Jimmy Wilde (considered as 'the Greatest Flyweight of all time')...

yep, it's tough to decide who's who...but, at the moment Pancho Villa still holds the distinction as 'the greatest Asian fighter in boxing history' and Flash Elorde as 'the greatest Filipino fighter of all time'. let's see how Pacquiao's career pans out in the following years..he's surely catching up
would a win against morales do anything more for pac's career(legacy,status etc)? or a fight with barera and marquez.

Mr. Ryan
11-07-2006, 01:31 PM

The thing is that I'm young, I'm only 19. Fight fans and pundits all tend to favor the guys who fought in their era, it's just a flaw in humans that we can't always put things in proper perspective. I have seen many films with Elorde, Villa, and Garcia, but unless you're there and living in the moment and the atmosphere of the times, you can't properly appreciate it really. The same thing with Julio Cesar Chavez, people say I don't get him because he was a little before my time, which I would say I started to understand the sport around 1996.

Mr. Ryan
11-07-2006, 01:32 PM
would a win against morales do anything more for pac's career(legacy,status etc)? or a fight with barera and marquez.

If he wins the Morales fight and can lure Marquez into a rematch and wins, he's got one of the best careers of this century.

Liaison
11-07-2006, 03:11 PM
In terms of legacy, it***8217;s Pancho Villa, he set the stage for the Great Pinoy Boxing Era.

In terms of boxing, Pac easily.

flipside
11-07-2006, 10:28 PM
pancho villa dies early but was voted flyweight of the century :D he could have done more but flash really has it for me. ceferino is the only filipino middleweight champ havent seen any fight of him though. i only saw lui and pac really become big

Gov Pacman
08-06-2007, 01:21 PM
In this new era of Pinoy Boxing their will be plenty of upcoming superstars thanks
to Pacman .

Boxers to watch out for are
Nonito Donaire
Florante Condes
Rey Bautista
Abe Conception
Gerry Penalosa and many more this is the top five:banana: :banana: :banana:

JOM'S
08-12-2007, 12:02 PM
on the list Gerry just got up a notch or two ...

Ziggy Stardust
08-12-2007, 07:53 PM
Pancho Villa, but Pacquiao could surpass him.

Poet