View Full Version : Jerry Quarry vs Jack Sharkey

boxingbuff
03-04-2010, 04:14 PM
I think this would have been a great fight.

Who do you believe would have won,and why?

Sugarj
03-04-2010, 06:25 PM
I'm going to go for Quarry on sheer toughness and strength of chin. Sharkey was good but never really for me gave his soul in the ring.

Obama
03-04-2010, 09:01 PM
The great Jack Sharkey would laugh at an opponent as feeble as Jerry Quarry, who simply wasn't in the same league.

Joey Giardello
03-04-2010, 09:06 PM
Jerry quarry should be in the ibhf

Obama
03-04-2010, 09:38 PM
Jerry quarry should be in the ibhf

Definitely not based on his resume. That's for damn sure.

frankenfrank
03-05-2010, 02:30 AM
I'm going to go for Quarry on sheer toughness and strength of chin. Sharkey was good but never really for me gave his soul in the ring.
Sharkey wins a medium sized decision , maybe even a late stoppage (probably cuts) , if the fight is for 15 rounds.

quarry's chin is so overrated , he should not be confused with Bonavena and chuvalo , it takes a special kind of fighter to be KO'd by norton.
Sharkey was the better fighter of the two and was definitely smarter.
sharkey's volume of success was much bigger and had much more impressing career and achievements.

and yes , i saw both men fight , only just a little of each one yet.
sharkey made a fool out of stribling and his record reveals stoppage and decision wins over some respectable defensive fighters and also decision wins over decent (for his time) offensive fighters.

sonnyboyx2
03-05-2010, 03:04 AM
Sharkey wins a medium sized decision , maybe even a late stoppage (probably cuts) , if the fight is for 15 rounds.

quarry's chin is so overrated , he should not be confused with Bonavena and chuvalo , it takes a special kind of fighter to be KO'd by norton.
sharkey's volume of success was much bigger and had much more impressing career and achievements.

sharkey made a fool out of stribling and his record reveals stoppage and decision wins over some respectable defensive fighters and also decision wins over decent (for his time) offensive fighters.

Once again a ridiculous post by the forum clown... your knowledge of the sport of boxing is zero, When Quarry lost to Ken Norton he was at the very tail-end of his career and had nothing left, if quarry was to have fought Norton 5yrs earlier he would have been a clear winner, The Frazier (2) fight clearly showed that Quarry was well past his best..

sonnyboyx2
03-05-2010, 03:09 AM
The great Jack Sharkey would laugh at an opponent as feeble as Jerry Quarry, who simply wasn't in the same league.

its now on a daily basis that i marvel at your laughable posts, Jerry Quarry would knock Jack Sharkey into the ground like a fuukin tent peg... its obvious to me that you are a boxrec geek who knows nothing about this sport and has never watched the great fighters from the 60s & 70s.. your comments get more outrageous by the day.

gimmeyapudpud
03-05-2010, 03:40 AM
Yes,it seems all dunce is here for is to consistently troll this section.He spends all day copying and pasting articles and passes them off as his own and then he comes on here and come's up with lies and runs with his tail between his legs the moment he get's called out on his bull****.

for the record,jerry Quarry ducked no top level black fighters,which can't be said for some others unfortuantely.

It's a shame some disrespectful cretins like dunce feel the need to discredit one of oxings greatest warriors like Jerry Quarry.

JAB5239
03-05-2010, 04:17 AM

I haven't watched the fight, but according to newspaper accounts it was close with Sharkey being the more deserving of the win.

frankenfrank
03-05-2010, 04:42 AM
Yes,it seems all dunce is here for is to consistently troll this section.He spends all day copying and pasting articles and passes them off as his own and then he comes on here and come's up with lies and runs with his tail between his legs the moment he get's called out on his bull****.

i don't think he's runnin away from ya , he's jus bizzy postin' more thredz

for the record,jerry Quarry ducked no top level black fighters,which can't be said for some others unfortuantely.

like whom ? like frazier who beat everyone whom beat shavers ?

It's a shame some disrespectful cretins like dunce feel the need to discredit one of oxings greatest warriors like Jerry Quarry.

where did he discredit the glorified journeyman Quarry ?
where did he discredit anyone ?
quarry clinched against shavers btw , just like mccallum did against jackson , holyfield and lewis did against tyson , akiwande did against lewis , and hopkins and ruiz employed as a life philosophy .
hopkins added many more ingredients to the clinches , say , headbutts , pushes , hitting on da brakes , holding and hittin , and many more.

gimmeyapudpud
03-05-2010, 04:49 AM

I've no clue what you're talking about.My post wasn't about frazier nor did it suggest "Glass" Joe

frazier ducked punchers,not black fighters.

sonnyboyx2
03-05-2010, 05:25 AM
i don't think he's runnin away from ya , he's jus bizzy postin' more thredz

where did he discredit the glorified journeyman Quarry ?
where did he discredit anyone ?
quarry clinched against shavers btw , just like mccallum did against jackson , holyfield and lewis did against tyson , akiwande did against lewis , and hopkins and ruiz employed as a life philosophy .
hopkins added many more ingredients to the clinches , say , headbutts , pushes , hitting on da brakes , holding and hittin , and many more.

Jerry Quarry was voted the most popular fighter in the world 1967, 68 & 69 yet you call him a glorified journeyman... once again your credibility has been blown and anything which you claim cannot be taken seriously..

You claim Quarry "CLINCHED AGAINST sHAVERS" you gotta be joking, Quarry vs Shavers was billed as "Battle of the Big Punchers" Quarry simply blew away Shavers... there was no `Clinching` as you claim.. Shavers was simply not in Jerry Quarry`s league and the fight unfolded in that way with Quarry taking what Shavers had to offer and attacking him in a similar fashion to Jack Dempsey would... Quarry was a class act.. Shavers was the glorified journeyman!

frankenfrank
03-05-2010, 05:47 AM
Once again a ridiculous post by the forum clown... your knowledge of the sport of boxing is zero, When Quarry lost to Ken Norton he was at the very tail-end of his career and had nothing left, if quarry was to have fought Norton 5yrs earlier he would have been a clear winner, The Frazier (2) fight clearly showed that Quarry was well past his best..

when the butt is the head , a man talks out of his ass , what can you do ?
after all , quarry was younger than both frazier and norton .
also , the records reveal , that at least frazier was also past it in their second encounter.
and how do you explain his second ali fight outcome ? his outcome against chuvalo (not a big puncher) ? being knocked down by a 32 years old floyd patterson ?

frankenfrank
03-05-2010, 06:05 AM
Jerry Quarry was voted the most popular fighter in the world 1967, 68 & 69

who cares ? weren't cooney and willard popular as-well ?
he was a white hope. isn't/recently was kessler popular for the same reason ?

yet you call him a glorified journeyman... once again your credibility has been blown and anything which you claim cannot be taken seriously..

so i still do. journeymen can have some impressing wins sometimes.
llike glen-johnson KO of roy jones.

You claim Quarry "CLINCHED AGAINST sHAVERS" you gotta be joking,

i am not joking , maybe you should watch the fight again.

Quarry vs Shavers was billed as "Battle of the Big Punchers"

it can be billed whatever it was , tell gimmeyapudpud quarry was a big puncher. he could punch , not too much.

Quarry simply blew away Shavers...

quarry won on accumulation of punishment and the supposedly chinny shavers quite have remained standing for someone who is blown away.
i think you should compare this KO to , say , Shavers' KOs.
i know tua's not for you.

there was no `Clinching` as you claim..

there was , watch the fight again.
quarry had no other answer to shavers' initial assault.

Shavers was simply not in Jerry Quarry`s league

in the same manner julian jackson wasn't in mccallum's league , and tyson wasn't in holyfield's league.

and the fight unfolded in that way with Quarry taking what Shavers had to offer

maybe a punch or two , and shavers wasn't in full balance and leverage , for quarry's luck.

and attacking him in a similar fashion to Jack Dempsey would...

i don't think so.

Quarry was a class act.. Shavers was the glorified journeyman!
that class act was KO'd by the man whom was KO'd by shavers
and stopped twice by the man whom was knocked down by shavers and couldn't stop him.
and yet lost a close decision to another man who was KO'd by shavers (trivia for all).
remembering all of this , one should place shavers above quarry despite the not too clean outcome of their actual h2h fight.

sonnyboyx2
03-05-2010, 06:13 AM
when the butt is the head , a man talks out of his ass , what can you do ?
after all , quarry was younger than both frazier and norton .
also , the records reveal , that at least frazier was also past it in their second encounter.
and how do you explain his second ali fight outcome ? his outcome against chuvalo (not a big puncher) ? being knocked down by a 32 years old floyd patterson ?

Quarry may have been younger but he had been boxing since he was 6yrs old.. his Golden Gloves record still stands to this day 6 fights 6 knock outs.. Quarry had fought in brutal slugfests throughout his pro career and the toll of those `wars` took its toll on Quarry`s longevity in the game... Quarry won every round against Chuvalo and was caught with a very good punch, he took a knee and was counted out by the referee, Quarry venomously disputed the referees count claiming he was on his feet at the count of nine (you obviously have not seen that fight).. Floyd Patterson was a 2 times world heavyweight champion and a brutal puncher at that, yet Quarry fought a draw and a win over Floyd and you refere to him as a gloried journeyman.....

You need to go away and start watching these fights before you can cast your opinion on them because referring to boxrec for your knowledge is leaving you wide open to ridicule and you will never be taken seriously unto you have ditched that method of gaining your knowledge.

You was quick to label Quarry as a glorified journeyman yet you `IDOLIZE` the likes of Shavers & Tua both of whom Jerry Quarry would have a field-day with by knocking out both with the ultimate of ease.... and please dont try to say David Tua would KO Jerry Quarry :thinking:

frankenfrank
03-05-2010, 06:39 AM
Quarry may have been younger but he had been boxing since he was 6yrs old.. his Golden Gloves record still stands to this day 6 fights 6 knock outs.. Quarry had fought in brutal slugfests throughout his pro career and the toll of those `wars` took its toll on Quarry`s longevity in the game...

and since what age was the older frazier boxing from ?
and the older frazier , norton , ali and chuvalo haven't fought in brutal slugfests ?
it was his lack of technique and his inadequate power that made his fights grueling.

Floyd Patterson was a 2 times world heavyweight champion

because he was too chinny to maintain his title

and a brutal puncher at that,

and 10 years older than quarry himself at that

yet Quarry fought a draw and a win over Floyd and you refere to him as a gloried journeyman.....

against that same fighter whom was 10 years older than himself with a more respected amateur past himself btw.

You need to go away and start watching these fights before you can cast your opinion on them because referring to boxrec for your knowledge is leaving you wide open to ridicule and you will never be taken seriously unto you have ditched that method of gaining your knowledge.

maybe someday i will.

You was quick to label Quarry as a glorified journeyman yet you `IDOLIZE` the likes of Shavers

i do not idolize shavers , i only claim he should be ranked higher than quarry , that's all.

& Tua both of whom Jerry Quarry would have a field-day with by knocking out both with the ultimate of ease.... and please dont try to say David Tua would KO Jerry Quarry :thinking:
David Tua would have Knocked out Quarry inside 4.
4 is just for safety measures. 1 or 2 is the more realistic knowing tua.

sonnyboyx2
03-05-2010, 07:12 AM
and the older frazier , norton , ali and chuvalo haven't fought in brutal slugfests ?
it was his lack of technique and his inadequate power that made his fights grueling.

against that same fighter whom was 10 years older than himself with a more respected amateur past himself btw.

maybe someday i will.

i do not idolize shavers , i only claim he should be ranked higher than quarry , that's all.

David Tua never fought a "Puncher" his entire career, his management team knew of Tua`s weak-chin so kept him away from Punchers, they knew how Tua had been levelled as an amateur on several occasions and how he had been wobbled as a pro.. Hasim Rahman who is a weak puncher always had David Tua`s measure dropping him in their 2nd fight, Ike Ibeabuchi a 16 fight novice badly staggered Tua repeatedly in their fight... Jerry quarry KOd Earnie Shavers in 1rd.. he KOd Mac Foster who had a record of 24-0(24) KOs... He handed Ron Lyle who was billed as The next Sonny Liston his first pro defeat, Quarry hammered Buster Mathis, Larry Middleton & Thad Spencer all top ranked contenders, Quarry interupted Floyd Patterson`s 15 fight winning streak.. Quarry fought for the Heavyweight Championship of the world with a broken bone in his back against Jimmy Ellis... Quarry fought a prime Joe Frazier for the title in a Ring Mag Fight of the Year (a forgotten classic).... Yet you are claiming a glorified journeyman like David Tua who was schooled by both Lennox Lewis & Chris Byrd would KO Quarry... Tua failed each time he fought above Class C whereas Jerry Quarry was Class A....."Do everyone in this History Section a huge favour and **** off to the NSB section because you are "The Village Idiot" of this section

TheGreatA
03-05-2010, 07:34 AM
Quarry was great against bigger, slower sluggers but not so much against classy boxers. I believe Sharkey would take a close decision win.

sonnyboyx2
03-05-2010, 08:17 AM
Quarry was great against bigger, slower sluggers but not so much against classy boxers. I believe Sharkey would take a close decision win.

Quarry was good enough to beat one of the "Classiest boxers" of all time in Floyd Patterson...
Muhammad Ali said : "Patterson was the best boxer he ever fought"...

TheGreatA
03-05-2010, 12:50 PM
Quarry was good enough to beat one of the "Classiest boxers" of all time in Floyd Patterson...

I had Patterson beating Quarry both times. Either way I think Patterson is a lot different from Sharkey. Patterson is a much more aggressive fighter and is always there to be hit, even with his bobbing & weaving style. Sharkey was more like Jimmy Ellis but better.

sonnyboyx2
03-05-2010, 01:26 PM
I had Patterson beating Quarry both times. Either way I think Patterson is a lot different from Sharkey. Patterson is a much more aggressive fighter and is always there to be hit, even with his bobbing & weaving style. Sharkey was more like Jimmy Ellis but better.

Patterson was far better than Sharkey... When Quarry lost a close decision to Ellis it was his worst ever career performance due to Jerry fighting with a broken bone in his back after being pushed over a jukebox by his brother while celebrating his victory over Thad Spencer

TheGreatA
03-05-2010, 01:36 PM
Patterson was far better than Sharkey... When Quarry lost a close decision to Ellis it was his worst ever career performance due to Jerry fighting with a broken bone in his back after being pushed over a jukebox by his brother while celebrating his victory over Thad Spencer

I wouldn't say "far better". And he's a different fighter. Quarry lost to worse fighters than Patterson.

Quarry was not in the best condition against Ellis but he was still befuddled by Ellis's style much like he was earlier in his career against Eddie Machen.

I'm not saying that I don't rate Quarry, I believe he would have beaten Max Baer for example, but Sharkey would be a difficult opponent for him to deal with. Sharkey was very slippery while Quarry was always there to be hit. I believe that would be the difference on the scorecards.

Ziggy Stardust
03-05-2010, 01:46 PM

You're an idiot. 'Nuff said.

maybe someday i will.

You're not only an idiot but you're actually admitting you're ignorant of the fights and fighters you're speaking about too? :dead1:

Poet

Ziggy Stardust
03-05-2010, 01:49 PM
I wouldn't say "far better". And he's a different fighter. Quarry lost to worse fighters than Patterson.

Quarry was not in the best condition against Ellis but he was still befuddled by Ellis's style much like he was earlier in his career against Eddie Machen.

I'm not saying that I don't rate Quarry, I believe he would have beaten Max Baer for example, but Sharkey would be a difficult opponent for him to deal with. Sharkey was very slippery while Quarry was always there to be hit. I believe that would be the difference on the scorecards.

The problem with Sharkey as I see it is that he was so inconsistant throughout his career: You could never really be sure which Sharkey was going to show up for a fight. If he brought his A-game I could definately see him outboxing Quarry and winning a clear decision; but if he comes into the ring with something less (which he often did) than Quarry knocks him out.

Poet

TheGreatA
03-05-2010, 02:07 PM
The problem with Sharkey as I see it is that he was so inconsistant throughout his career: You could never really be sure which Sharkey was going to show up for a fight. If he brought his A-game I could definately see him outboxing Quarry and winning a clear decision; but if he comes into the ring with something less (which he often did) than Quarry knocks him out.

Poet

He was somewhat inconsistent but during his prime run he only really lost to Dempsey, Schmeling and Risko. The Dempsey and Schmeling fights both ended due to low blows, with Sharkey on the receiving end against Dempsey and himself disqualified against Schmeling (both fights that he was winning). The Risko fight was a disputed decision but Sharkey did have trouble with Risko's pressure.

When Sharkey actually won the title from Schmeling with a controversial decision where I thought he did nothing to win, he was already past it. Carnera got to him at the right time and Sharkey never won a significant fight afterwards.

The inconsistency shows in his performances though. He tended to fight in spurts and could lose his focus in the ring, being forced to fight the other man's fight. This is the same with Quarry as well. He'd fight 30 seconds of each round and get drawn into unnecessary brawls when he was doing a fine job counter punching.

You never knew what you were going to get with these two, a Sharkey vs Harry Wills or a Sharkey vs Tom Heeney, a Quarry vs Thad Spencer or a Quarry vs George Chuvalo.

sonnyboyx2
03-05-2010, 02:34 PM

Quarry was only a young novice when he lost to Machen on points, Machen was a world class operator.. Quarry was a very underated counter-puncher with decent skills & power + his granite chin... what is most of the time overlooked about Jerry Quarry is the lifestyle he led from as young as 4yrs old.. if it was turned into a Holywood movie it would be an epic.. from his childhood with his violent Irish father, his youth as an amateur boxer then a profesional, marraige troubles with several wifes, his battle with drugs and fame, his acting career followed by his comebacks in the ring and finally his suffering from `punch-drunk syndrome`... if ever there was a "Rollercoaster" in boxing it was Jerry Quarry.

DeepSleep
03-05-2010, 03:03 PM

Any version of Jerry Quarry would have got shredded by Ken Norton that night.

On point though, I'd favor Sharkey to edge Quarry.

boxingbuff
03-06-2010, 05:52 PM

Are you saying that Sharkey was a "classy" boxer?

TheGreatA
03-06-2010, 06:20 PM
Are you saying that Sharkey was a "classy" boxer?

He could be. Carnera in their first fight hardly landed a punch on him and Sharkey was doing a job on both Dempsey and Schmeling until low blows ended the bout (and a follow-up left hook in the case of the Dempsey fight).

sonnyboyx2
03-07-2010, 02:40 AM
He could be. Carnera in their first fight hardly landed a punch on him and Sharkey was doing a job on both Dempsey and Schmeling until low blows ended the bout (and a follow-up left hook in the case of the Dempsey fight).

coulda, woulda, shoulda`s dont really count, Carnera was to tall & heavy and slow of foot to be a clever boxer in the same way as Valuev..Dempsey was old and gave Sharkey a lesson in boxing "bobbing & weaving" Dempsey was far too much for him and beat him quite easily, wasn`t as tho Sharkey was putting on a display like Gene Tunney did against Dempsey... nothing wrong with Dempseys left-hook that levelled Sharkey.. (referre`s instructions are "protect yourself at all times")

TheGreatA
03-07-2010, 09:02 AM
coulda, woulda, shoulda`s dont really count, Carnera was to tall & heavy and slow of foot to be a clever boxer in the same way as Valuev..Dempsey was old and gave Sharkey a lesson in boxing "bobbing & weaving" Dempsey was far too much for him and beat him quite easily, wasn`t as tho Sharkey was putting on a display like Gene Tunney did against Dempsey... nothing wrong with Dempseys left-hook that levelled Sharkey.. (referre`s instructions are "protect yourself at all times")

Sharkey was winning arguably every round until Dempsey hit him with numerous, blatant low blows.

This doesn't look like an "easy" fight:

<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/_c_djw214oQ&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/_c_djw214oQ&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>

Carnera was a much better boxer than Valuev.

sonnyboyx2
03-08-2010, 02:34 AM
Sharkey was winning arguably every round until Dempsey hit him with numerous, blatant low blows.

This doesn't look like an "easy" fight:

<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/_c_djw214oQ&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/_c_djw214oQ&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>

Carnera was a much better boxer than Valuev.

i have the full fight and Dempsey wins it in my opinion.. Dempsey was 7yrs older than Sharkey and at the tail-end of his career.

frankenfrank
03-09-2010, 04:50 AM

floyd patterson was also 10 years older than quarry , wasn't he ?

One more round
03-09-2010, 06:05 AM

maybe someday i will.

This guys might be the worst poster ever :lol1: