View Full Version : OWNED. Karma is a bit(h for talking about the RROD

Verstyle
03-04-2010, 04:31 PM
A bug in the Playstation 3's clock functionality has caused Sony to recommend owners of many Playstation 3 consoles avoid turning on their machines until further notice.

Symptoms of the problem, which emerged late Sunday, include the inability to connect to the Playstation Network, failure to launch online games, and the console's clock resetting itself to January 1, 2000. Speculation has connected the bug to the roll-over from February 28 to March 1 and a possible glitch in the machine's Leap Year algorithm.

Although the problem also appears to be linked to the Playstation 3's online functions, owners of afflicted machines report their consoles won't play many offline, single-player games, either, such as last week's best-selling release Heavy Rain.

Sony has confirmed that the bug only affects older "fat" PS3 models purchased before September 2009, and not the redesigned, smaller "Slim" machines sold after that date. Owners of older consoles are being advised not to turn on their machines until Sony has addressed the error.

"We believe we have identified that this problem is being caused by a bug in the clock functionality incorporated in the system," Sony's Patrick Seybold said on the company's official blog. "We hope to resolve this problem within the next 24 hours. In the meantime, if you have a model other than the new slim PS3, we advise that you do not use your PS3 system, as doing so may result in errors in some functionality, such as recording obtained trophies, and not being able to restore certain data."

The problem is affecting Playstation owners all around the world, and it's not confined to consumers. Trade magazine Develop reports work on PS3 game development at "various developers and studios" has been affected by the error.

MetalVomit
03-04-2010, 04:49 PM
lolz, comparing that to the rrod is hilarious. my console wasnt even effected, and the **** only lasted like a day. c'mon now vers, do you work for microsoft or somthing, with the way you support them?

The Gully Gad
03-04-2010, 04:51 PM
Mine lasted fi about 3 hours max and then i was back online usual tings..
Didnt really bother me at all..Ps a still run tings..

Ryn0
03-04-2010, 04:54 PM
Didn't affect the slim and it was like 60% of old PS3's affected. The only affect was PSN going down for a day. Xbox live has gone down for more than a day too. Remember when they gave away undertow for free because it shut down for a day?

BOLLOCKS
03-04-2010, 04:55 PM
http://electricdethtripmedia.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/01/RedRingOfDeath.png

The Gully Gad
03-04-2010, 04:57 PM
lol There 2 quick to write off the xbox when they get that dreaded ring of death ting
my boy brought one the other day real cheap and simply cleaned the fan and the board and got the **** running perfect..

But ps still a run tings

-Hyperion-
03-04-2010, 04:58 PM
:rofl: ........a day off of psn......yeah totally comparable to rrod.... :rofl:

Flab
03-04-2010, 05:01 PM
Didn't affect the slim and it was like 60% of old PS3's affected. The only affect was PSN going down for a day. Xbox live has gone down for more than a day too. Remember when they gave away undertow for free because it shut down for a day?

Lol. I got that for free and I never had a problem with LIVE. I wondered why it was free. Pretty good game has it happens.

Verstyle
03-04-2010, 06:17 PM
lolz, comparing that to the rrod is hilarious. my console wasnt even effected, and the **** only lasted like a day. c'mon now vers, do you work for microsoft or somthing, with the way you support them?

It was the point of... Some think that the PS3 is indestructible like the Apple fans think their OS can't get a virus.Haha. That was all. Just had to break the myth some have.

Sick/
03-04-2010, 06:28 PM
lol There 2 quick to write off the xbox when they get that dreaded ring of death ting
my boy brought one the other day real cheap and simply cleaned the fan and the board and got the **** running perfect..

But ps still a run tings

lol, that sort of fix won't last long.

I might have to buy a 360 again just to play Alan Wake.

- v e t -
03-04-2010, 07:11 PM

ding ding ding!!!!

KO 1

03-04-2010, 07:56 PM
a day without psn....ill still take the PS3 over the xbox any day.

Ryn0
03-04-2010, 08:55 PM
Lol. I got that for free and I never had a problem with LIVE. I wondered why it was free. Pretty good game has it happens.
Maybe you didn't go on that day? There was a maintanence problem (If i remember rightly) for all xboxs that day.

And since the gold members were paying for it they decided to give underdow out free even to silver members to make up for it. It was only down for a day or two. Maybe you just didn't use it?

Ryn0
03-04-2010, 08:59 PM
It was the point of... Some think that the PS3 is indestructible like the Apple fans think their OS can't get a virus.Haha. That was all. Just had to break the myth some have.
Everyone knows the PS3 isn't indestructable. Hell my PS3 got the YLOD twice, but it's FAR more reliable that the 360 on the whole(which I also own and have had the RROD twice ironically)

But the difference was the 360 got the RROD after less than a year, then again after repair a few months later. My launch PS3 died in november last year and I repaired it myself (with the help of a friend) only for it to die again.

The Gully Gad
03-04-2010, 09:25 PM
lol, that sort of fix won't last long.

I might have to buy a 360 again just to play Alan Wake.

lol Yeh i know G but the dude brought it for a tenner
cant go wrong there...

M Deezy
03-05-2010, 12:19 AM
A bug in the Playstation 3's clock functionality has caused Sony to recommend owners of many Playstation 3 consoles avoid turning on their machines until further notice.

Symptoms of the problem, which emerged late Sunday, include the inability to connect to the Playstation Network, failure to launch online games, and the console's clock resetting itself to January 1, 2000. Speculation has connected the bug to the roll-over from February 28 to March 1 and a possible glitch in the machine's Leap Year algorithm.

Although the problem also appears to be linked to the Playstation 3's online functions, owners of afflicted machines report their consoles won't play many offline, single-player games, either, such as last week's best-selling release Heavy Rain.

Sony has confirmed that the bug only affects older "fat" PS3 models purchased before September 2009, and not the redesigned, smaller "Slim" machines sold after that date. Owners of older consoles are being advised not to turn on their machines until Sony has addressed the error.

"We believe we have identified that this problem is being caused by a bug in the clock functionality incorporated in the system," Sony's Patrick Seybold said on the company's official blog. "We hope to resolve this problem within the next 24 hours. In the meantime, if you have a model other than the new slim PS3, we advise that you do not use your PS3 system, as doing so may result in errors in some functionality, such as recording obtained trophies, and not being able to restore certain data."

The problem is affecting Playstation owners all around the world, and it's not confined to consumers. Trade magazine Develop reports work on PS3 game development at "various developers and studios" has been affected by the error.

still better than xbox. PROOF:
RROD, system is FUUCKED.
the error that fd up the ps3. only lasted for a day. and now all the affected ps3s are working perfect. WITHOUT having to trade or send it in.

Flab
03-05-2010, 12:22 AM
Maybe you didn't go on that day? There was a maintanence problem (If i remember rightly) for all xboxs that day.

And since the gold members were paying for it they decided to give underdow out free even to silver members to make up for it. It was only down for a day or two. Maybe you just didn't use it?

I was on the day Undertow was made free. So... I don't know. I was on pretty much every day back then.

HotSizzle
03-05-2010, 01:37 AM
ps3's have to many dam problems, believe me I work for playstation lol

Flab
03-05-2010, 02:03 AM

Can you get me a free storm trooper outfit for PS home?

Sick/
03-05-2010, 09:20 AM

Get a job at Nintendo then

Left2body
03-05-2010, 03:07 PM

Its not about being indestructible. Its about being reliable. PS3 had a software problem. Software problems are relatively easy to fix. The recent problem lasted about 1 day and was fixed with a patch.

360 is a horribly unreliable piece of hardware. No software bug of Sony changes the fact that its a much more reliable and robust piece of hardware.

Now I really like playing on my 360 but more for the friends and clan mates I have on the system........also the more active GB ladders.

SplitSecond
03-05-2010, 04:11 PM
and? it's been back to normal since the last 4 days already

The Gully Gad
03-05-2010, 07:16 PM

Freebies G hook the mans up

lol

Verstyle
03-05-2010, 08:48 PM
Damn, all the ppl that took offense.Hahaha. Calm down, guys, it's only a gaming system. I just wanted to see who'd be all uppity. PS3 isn't a bad system, I actually like it but messing with you guys? PRICELESS.

MetalVomit
03-05-2010, 08:53 PM
Damn, all the ppl that took offense.Hahaha. Calm down, guys, it's only a gaming system. I just wanted to see who'd be all uppity. PS3 isn't a bad system, I actually like it but messing with you guys? PRICELESS.

that's the pot calling the kettle black, isn't it? I've seen more than a couple times, you jumping at the chance to defend Xbox. Personally, I really like the war between Sony and Xbox, makes the video game world more interesting.

Verstyle
03-05-2010, 09:03 PM
that's the pot calling the kettle black, isn't it? I've seen more than a couple times, you jumping at the chance to defend Xbox. Personally, I really like the war between Sony and Xbox, makes the video game world more interesting.

I jump to defend but there has been times where I've said it's not a bad system(PS3) I thought. I'm usually the one starting it and such just for reaction. I don't even play Xbox anymore. I bought my son a Elite and I rarely touch it( I think I should so I won't waste money on a Live year account). I do prefer Xbox over PS3 and will defend what I like the most of course but to a certain degree of seriousness.

MetalVomit
03-05-2010, 09:51 PM
I jump to defend but there has been times where I've said it's not a bad system(PS3) I thought. I'm usually the one starting it and such just for reaction. I don't even play Xbox anymore. I bought my son a Elite and I rarely touch it( I think I should so I won't waste money on a Live year account). I do prefer Xbox over PS3 and will defend what I like the most of course but to a certain degree of seriousness.

yeah, if you're paying for that ****, you better play it. or tell the kid to get a job.