View Full Version : Jack Dempsey

Joey Giardello
03-04-2010, 10:33 AM
Pre doc kearns and tex richard, wasnt dempsey a 160 pound hobo? can any one tel much about dempsey pre kearns and tex richard

Sugarj
03-04-2010, 11:53 AM
Thats right, he was a bit of a traveller who would fight from town to town in order to keep himself fed, many being tough mining towns. 160Lbs may not be far from the truth when giving his diet at the time any consideration, he wasn't much over 180Lbs in his heavyweight prime!

He'd win some, lose some and get paid peanuts. I'm not aware of any record keeping for these fights, his 'official' professional record starts around 1914 but I'm sure he had many fights before and probably others during this time and up to when he took the title in 1919. He apparently threw a fight in the first round to Fireman Jim Flynn because he was so hungry, then knocked him out in a round soon after! I'm not exactly sure when he did meet Doc Kearns but I gather that Dempsey saved him from a beating by two toughs, I'd guess somewhere around 1914-1916.

Who knows where he would have got without Kearns!

Joey Giardello
03-04-2010, 05:42 PM
Thats right, he was a bit of a traveller who would fight from town to town in order to keep himself fed, many being tough mining towns. 160Lbs may not be far from the truth when giving his diet at the time any consideration, he wasn't much over 180Lbs in his heavyweight prime!

He'd win some, lose some and get paid peanuts. I'm not aware of any record keeping for these fights, his 'official' professional record starts around 1914 but I'm sure he had many fights before and probably others during this time and up to when he took the title in 1919. He apparently threw a fight in the first round to Fireman Jim Flynn because he was so hungry, then knocked him out in a round soon after! I'm not exactly sure when he did meet Doc Kearns but I gather that Dempsey saved him from a beating by two toughs, I'd guess somewhere around 1914-1916.

Who knows where he would have got without Kearns!

Kearns turned dempsey from a street brawler into a boxer

Sugarj
03-04-2010, 06:53 PM
I've never been too sure whether Kearns was more of a manager than a trainer to Dempsey although he is listed at both. Obviously Rickard was promoter.

I wouldn't like to comment on how Kearns might have changed Dempsey from brawler to boxer. Not in a stylistic sense at least, but he certainly provided good connections and opportunities from a managment point of view. Dempsey was certainly adept at brawling and boxing into the 20s, but he rose to the top with a string of first round KOs so he was clearly no fancy dan back then.