View Full Version : How does a prime Sugar Ray Robinson match up with these 5 fighters?

Joey Giardello
03-02-2010, 11:21 PM
When i say robinson's prime i mean his best years which for me was 1941 to 1952 in which robinson boxed from lightweight to lightheavyweight.

Robinson vs Pernel Whitaker at Lightweight

Robinson vs Ray Leonard at welterweight

Robinson vs Carlos Monzon at middleweight

Robinson vs Mathew Saad Muhammed at lightheavyweight

Robinson vs Lloyd Marshall at lightheavyweight

How do you see these fights going?

JAB5239
03-02-2010, 11:35 PM
When i say robinson's prime i mean his best years which for me was 1941 to 1952 in which robinson boxed from lightweight to lightheavyweight.

Robinson vs Pernel Whitaker at Lightweight Robinson by UD

Robinson vs Ray Leonard at welterweight Robinson by UD

Robinson vs Carlos Monzon at middleweight Monzon by UD

Robinson vs Mathew Saad Muhammed at lightheavyweight Robinson by decision.

Robinson vs Lloyd Marshall at lightheavyweight Robinson by SD

Joey Giardello
03-02-2010, 11:38 PM
I think a lightweight whitaker beats ray

at welter i think robinson beats ray on a split

at middleweight monzon beats robinson on points

at lightheavyweight i think ray beats both saad and marshall

JAB5239
03-02-2010, 11:42 PM
I think a lightweight whitaker beats ray

I wouldn't pick him, but I could envision scenerio's. Whats your take on this fight Joey?

Joey Giardello
03-02-2010, 11:47 PM
I wouldn't pick him, but I could envision scenerio's. Whats your take on this fight Joey?

i just see robinson being puzzled by this southpaw bouncy ball whitaker, i think whitaker steals alot of rounds with his uncanny style of counter punching, by the time robinson starts to solve pea's style i think its to late. For me whitaker takes home a close points win

Joey Giardello
03-02-2010, 11:50 PM
I also found it really hard to split marshall/robinson at lightheavyweight, i think i may now favour marshall

Jim Jeffries
03-03-2010, 12:14 AM
I feel like Ray would be too green at LW to handle someone as elusive as Sweet Pea. And with no fights above MW, hard to judge how he would've performed at LHW.

CarlosG815
03-03-2010, 12:42 AM

Whitaker UD

Robinson UD

Robinson SD

Robinson UD

Never saw lloyd Marshall so I can't say.

I love Sweet Pea so I'm a little partial to him but I definitely see him taking at least a UD or possibly a TKO.

I think Monzon has a good chance at beating Robinson, that fight's a toss up.

sonnyboyx2
03-03-2010, 03:13 AM

Robinson beats them all quite easily

CarlosG815
03-03-2010, 11:26 AM
Robinson beats them all quite easily

He beats Monzon easily?

Bigdaddy_Vh
03-03-2010, 12:48 PM
I feel like Ray would be too green at LW to handle someone as elusive as Sweet Pea. And with no fights above MW, hard to judge how he would've performed at LHW.

he fought Joey Maxim for the LHW title and was winning until he had to quit on his stool due to heat exhaustion

mickey malone
03-03-2010, 01:03 PM
[QUOTE=Joey Giardello;7656739]When i say robinson's prime i mean his best years which for me was 1941 to 1952 in which robinson boxed from lightweight to lightheavyweight.

So we starve Ray until he's so weak that he cannot win?

sonnyboyx2
03-03-2010, 01:39 PM
He beats Monzon easily?

yes, Ray Robinson would completely destroy Monzon in a similar way to how he destroyed LaMotta in `The St.Valentines Massacre`.... The Historians at the IBHOF voted Sugar Ray Robinson as the greatest Welterweight and greatest middleweight in the history of professional boxing, yet looking at some of the answers on this topic leaves me scratching my head in disbelief.... :thinking:

TheGreatA
03-03-2010, 01:48 PM
Whitaker vs Robinson at 135 is a difficult call. There's no footage of Robinson fighting as a lightweight in the pros but we do know that he was a force at the weight and gave a beating to reigning champ Sammy Angott. The closest we have are his amateur films. Robinson was not exactly in his prime at 135, in his 147 prime he would have beaten Whitaker.

I believe Robinson would be the aggressor against Leonard and he'd outfight the other Sugar Ray although Leonard could very well take atleast one fight in a series.

Monzon could very well be able to rough up Sugar Ray and outpoint him over the 15 round distance but then again Monzon never truly faced a prime all-time great who was as tall as he was. This one could go either way. Robinson was not quite at his best as a middleweight.

If Robinson fights Saad Muhammad under the same conditions that he fought Maxim in, Saad would win by an amazing late round rally.

Lloyd Marshall comfortably fought from 160 to 175. He was a fast starter and would stand a chance of upsetting Robinson in a 10 round bout but in a long distance fight he'd lose by a late round knockout or a decision.

Jim Jeffries
03-03-2010, 01:49 PM
he fought Joey Maxim for the LHW title and was winning until he had to quit on his stool due to heat exhaustion

You're right, I forgot that about that one.

But Maxim was not exactly the world's hardest hitting LHW, was he?

LightningQuick
03-03-2010, 01:49 PM
Robinson would make a mockery of Monzon, that's for sure.

Southpaw16BF
03-03-2010, 04:25 PM
Robinson would make a mockery of Monzon, that's for sure.

Robinson cound't make a mockery out of Basillo, Fullmer, Peneder, Turpin. What makes you think he make a mockery out argubaly the greatest Middleweight of all time?

Joey Giardello
03-03-2010, 04:45 PM
Robinson cound't make a mockery out of Basillo, Fullmer, Peneder, Turpin. What makes you think he make a mockery out argubaly the greatest Middleweight of all time?

I agree brother i dont think this cat knows what monzon is about

LightningQuick
03-03-2010, 05:04 PM
I agree brother i dont think this cat knows what monzon is about
M-O-C-K-E-R-Y.

Monzon was average, at best. The only reason he was dominant in his era was because he had a big size advantage over his opponents and the competition was lacking.

CarlosG815
03-03-2010, 10:17 PM
M-O-C-K-E-R-Y.

Monzon was average, at best. The only reason he was dominant in his era was because he had a big size advantage over his opponents and the competition was lacking.

lmao

:lol1::lol1:

The_Demon
03-03-2010, 10:34 PM
M-O-C-K-E-R-Y.

Get out of this thread idiot

BennyST
03-04-2010, 04:39 AM
Whitaker UD

Robinson UD

Robinson SD

Robinson UD

Never saw lloyd Marshall so I can't say.

I love Sweet Pea so I'm a little partial to him but I definitely see him taking at least a UD or possibly a TKO.

I think Monzon has a good chance at beating Robinson, that fight's a toss up.

You see Whitaker knocking out Robinson?

How in the name of all that is good and happy would that happen?

BennyST
03-04-2010, 04:50 AM

He fought for a title at LHW.

Anyway, don't know about the Whitaker fight. I don't think Robinson was at LW enough to rank him with the LW greats as such.

I think him and Leonard would be an ATG fight on the level of Hearns/Leonard and Duran/Leonard with both having their spots throughout the fight. Very hard to call as neither had the slightest amount of give in them and both had everything one needs to win this fight. I'd go for a SD for Robinson and if it was a three fight series I'd say three fights which could have gone either way, but with two going to Robinson and one to Leonard.

I think Monzon has trouble early and has to catch up a points deficit to win and while he wins the later rounds it ends up a very close fight with Monzon being called the SD decision winner.

I'd say Saad would win at LHW. He was a very big, reasonably quick, powerful LHW. I think we would see Saad's punches hurt Ray toward the end of the fight though again, it would be close.

I think Ray would probably beat Marshall though I haven't seen enough to make a fully informed decision. He beat some great LHW's though so it could just as easily go to Marshall.

sonnyboyx2
03-04-2010, 06:07 AM

Robinson was 40yrs old when he lost 2 split-verdicts to Paul Pender and 40yrs old when he lost a decision to 30yr old Fullmer which he avenged with one of the ATG KOs... Robinson was 37yrs old when he won/lost 2 split-verdicts with the rough, tough Carmen Basilio in Ring Magazine Fights of the Year.. Pender & Basilio was both 30yrs old.... Randolph Turpin was quite simply a fantastic fighter who beat Robinson when Robinson was on his "World Tour" and having his (35th fight in 2yrs)... YES, Robinson was having his 35th fight in 2yrs which is quite UNBELIEVABLE`..... Robinson avenged his defeat 8 weeks later in front of 60,000 fans at New Yorks Polo Grounds in one of the greatest fights of all times...... could you for one minute try to imagine, Whitaker, Monzon, Saad Muhammad, Leonard or Marshall doing what the great Sugar Ray Robinson done.... as i pointed out earlier in this topic, "some of the comments leave me srcatching my head in disbelief"