View Full Version : Want to Start Boxing, what can I do to get me started?

Atwa_66
12-01-2004, 08:17 PM
I want to start boxing, I have become really into the sport, But their is nowhere around where I live that provides a boxing gym or anything. I wanted to know how everyone else started and the help would be appreciated. Thanks :)

roXy graziano
12-01-2004, 08:44 PM
ay good for you mate!! My guess is, when it comes to finding a gym, there's probably one around you that you just don't realize. When I found my gym it was entirely from word of mouth. I never knew there were any boxing training gyms around here and it turns out theres about 2 or 3 really close to where I live. You just have to ask people. Go to any athletic shops that sell boxing equiptment, go to fights... talk to friends that are really into boxing. The gyms around here aren't listed in the phone book or on the internet so sometimes it's word of mouth!!

I can recommend that if you are just starting to get an interest in fitness (don't know if this has been an interst of yours or not) then go ahead and start doing things on your own. Start running a little, lifting some weights, get a feel for your overall tolerance then find out which muscle groups you want to start working on.

Atwa_66
12-03-2004, 06:46 PM
Thanks alot. I have lifted awhile for football and baseball. I have gloves, headgear, mouth piece, the whole deal, and I don't know anyone really into boxing. There's a boxing gym close to where I live I did found out. If you have any more tips just let me know, thanks.

roXy graziano
12-03-2004, 07:50 PM
actually I think I will tell you something. The only other sport I've played is softball but I was very young. most of friends played sports at one time or another (baseball, football, whatever) and I'll tell you the training for boxing stands out among all of them. If you haven't ever done any boxing training be ready for it!! You might want to start, even if you're allready working out regularly, doing a little extra, running, jumprope, jumping jacks, cardio type workouts like that. Jumprope is a great exersize for boxing and I don't know of too many other sports that use that in training (could be wrong I never really played other sports) Anyway, if you're not used to it it can be VERY tiring the first few times.

The training & nutrition forum I think is great, there's some good advice to be found here!! Analyze your diet, your routine, and make sure to check out the boxing gym as soon as possible. I was nervous as hell the first time I went but if you love boxing you'll feel right at home

once again, mazel tov!! :cool:

Atwa_66
12-03-2004, 07:55 PM
Thanks a whole lot. I will take your advice, and start doing that. I am looking for a boxing gym right now. Thanks again

sean2079
12-05-2004, 07:20 AM
i want to start boxing too. :) , after i watch a good fight i try and to box the air. :)

Raekwon
12-05-2004, 11:35 AM
i have just started gettin into boxing trainin, mostly for fitness and to pick up a bit more for fighting, im not really lookin for a boxing club or gym yet as i dont think im ready, but i have started out doin some more roadwork, liftin a bit more weight and jumprope (very tiring when you first start lol) i used to do soccer and basketball training and played at school but starting for boxing after reading a few posts to pick up started and basic pointers i have realised the trainin is much harder than most sports, will do great things for me i hope, i have only been at it a few days but im starting 2 feel a lot better about myself etc and hope i can stick it out.
good luck with gettin a good gym etc, i only wish id started out younger :p

spinksjinx
12-05-2004, 11:43 AM
i have just started gettin into boxing trainin, mostly for fitness and to pick up a bit more for fighting, im not really lookin for a boxing club or gym yet as i dont think im ready, but i have started out doin some more roadwork, liftin a bit more weight and jumprope (very tiring when you first start lol) i used to do soccer and basketball training and played at school but starting for boxing after reading a few posts to pick up started and basic pointers i have realised the trainin is much harder than most sports, will do great things for me i hope, i have only been at it a few days but im starting 2 feel a lot better about myself etc and hope i can stick it out.
good luck with gettin a good gym etc, i only wish id started out younger :p

Kudos for picking up the useful information here and engaging in it, Im sure you will be very satisfied with yourself overall when you are achieving things you had never thought you could have....

Keep it up!

Mr. Violence
12-06-2004, 03:32 AM
I want to start boxing, I have become really into the sport, But their is nowhere around where I live that provides a boxing gym or anything. I wanted to know how everyone else started and the help would be appreciated. Thanks :)

if you cant find a boxing gym look for a MIXED martial arts school that also teaches boxing, or a kickboxing school. the important thing in the beginning is to learn how to punch. yes there is a correct way to punch. after you learn that buy a heavy bag and practice correct punching technique.

julDilla
12-06-2004, 03:35 AM
theres to boxing gyms in my hometown so i can consider myself lucky :D

www.boxinghelp.com (http://www.boxinghelp.com) try this site

Hunna
12-06-2004, 04:45 AM
A good respectable trainer who looks after fighter's well-being is crucial. Advice from someone whos knowledgeable in boxing is also crucial. Check out local gyms, ask questions and even have trial training sessions to see what you like best. Most of all, have fun! sport should be enjoyable.

Mr. Violence
12-06-2004, 12:10 PM
A good respectable trainer who looks after fighter's well-being is crucial. Advice from someone whos knowledgeable in boxing is also crucial. Check out local gyms, ask questions and even have trial training sessions to see what you like best. Most of all, have fun! sport should be enjoyable.

agreed, understand that you must enjoy it and also be willing to work hard at it. it has been documented that ali was always the first one in the gym and the last one to leave.

cms
12-06-2004, 03:15 PM
Well I began boxing when i was 12 , and so did ali, and rocky balboa began boxing when he was 15 and he was pretty good even if he was'nt a real person ya know?

Raekwon
12-06-2004, 03:20 PM
sorry to break this to you cms, but rocky was all acted, the fights were fixed ;)

cms
12-06-2004, 03:55 PM
I found my gym through one of my freinds and i stuck with it while my freind quit, but it is a hard sport that requires a lot physical ability and mental ability GOOD LUCK.

boxer2k5
12-09-2004, 07:50 AM
I found my gym through one of my freinds and i stuck with it while my freind quit, but it is a hard sport that requires a lot physical ability and mental ability GOOD LUCK.

hells yeah dedication is the main thing
and the will to get better

you have to be able and want to learn and get better
cant get mad when a trainer smacks you in teh head for doing something wrong
you have to make sure you do it right

this is a sport for the purist and the perfectionist
not for the casual fans if your afriad or not sure then get out now
you will jsut be wasting people time

i love boxing