View Full Version : what to eat before cardio

roXy graziano
12-01-2004, 06:56 PM
hey I was wondering if anyone could tell me what works best for them eating wise before a cardio workout, or just a long run. How long before your work out do you eat? How long after your finished do you eat? Do you try and get protein/carbs/etc. for energy?

check yas later,
-Roxy

spinksjinx
12-01-2004, 07:24 PM
hey I was wondering if anyone could tell me what works best for them eating wise before a cardio workout, or just a long run. How long before your work out do you eat? How long after your finished do you eat? Do you try and get protein/carbs/etc. for energy?

check yas later,
-Roxy

Depends on your goal, You going for fat loss or stamina/endurance???

roXy graziano
12-01-2004, 07:58 PM
endurance. Actually I'm trying to gain a few pounds so this is another reason I'm changing how I eat. I've always been told to eat a lot of carbs about 2 hours before I start my running, but my problem now is that I start my run after I get off from work at 6 am (I work an overnight shift) so I haven't eaten in about 8 hours. I don't want to eat right before I run or I'll get sick. If I run mid-day which I like to do best (around 2 am) I always figured a good meal would maybe be high protein pancakes w/out syrup for breakfast, some pasta for dinner, something like that

Is it more important to worry about eating after cardio or before? I'm tryin to build the muscles in my thighs/calves again and I want to be able to run fast. Maybe gain a few pounds in the process (in muscle though) :confused:

sorry didn't mean for this to be such a long post!

blockburna944
12-01-2004, 09:42 PM
i've heard the eat 2 hours before thing also - i think even a granola bar or something like that. more importantly though is what you eat 36 and 60 hours before you workout (mainly for big boxing matches or cross-country races, but i think it would apply to regular workouts) because that will be digested in your body and fueling you.

a lot of people downplay carbs because they focus on losing weight or cutting muscles, but for gaining weight and having endurance they are equally as important as protein.

i dont get much of a choice for what i get to eat, but i reccommend stuff like pasta and bread (especially sourdough) for carbs and lean cut meats for protein.

spinksjinx
12-01-2004, 10:08 PM
Carbs is your main source of energy, learn to love them!

Go with whole grain breads and wheat pasta, Read the labels and make sure it doesnt say Enriched/Bleach ANYWHERE if it does THROW IT OUT!

Might I recommend Nature's own bread, walmart sells whole wheat pasta for 98 cents a box.

If you are wanting to gain a few pounds, A lot of cardio might not be in your favor and I would suggest a form of H.I.I.T training here is a sample of that:

20 Minute HIIT:

Minutes Levels Description
2 5 slow walk pace
3 6 increase walk pace
4 7 increase walk pace add arms
5 8 light jog
6 9 faster jog
7 6 increase walk pace
8 7 increase walk pace add arms
9 8 light jog
10 9 faster jog
11 6 increase walk pace
12 7 increase walk pace add arms
13 8 light jog
14 9 faster jog
15 6 increase walk pace
16 7 increase walk pace add arms
17 8 light jog
18 9 faster jog
19 10 light sprint
20 5 slow walk pac

Also limit your cardio to about 3 times per week until you meet your goal in weight, also remember to consume a vast amount of protein whether it be from supplements or lean white cut meats such as fish/turkey/chicken.

Stay clear from anything that is processed and watch out on the granola bars majority of them on the shelves are PACKED with sugars and empty calories and make pop tarts look healthy.

leff
12-02-2004, 06:15 AM
He needs the endurance just eat more if you want to keep your weight, 2-3 hours before running eat darkbread,pasta ore rice.
About 1 hour before eat fruit.

Eat a lot if you want to gain when doing roadwork,

Roadwork program: i dont how you much you will be doing,
if once a week do a longrun, if twice 1longrun and 1 interwall,
if 3 times a week 2interwall and one long if 4. 2 long and 2interwalls, if 5ore more 2long and interwalls the rest.

By longrun i mean about 6miles as fast as you can without stopping.

Interwall runing: 2-3 miles jogging to get real warm than, 10-20
15sec on 15 off sprints, ore 10 30 on and 30 off
ore a combination, vary where you sprint from flat ground, hills and stairs.

Kid Achilles
12-02-2004, 09:40 PM
Good stuff from Leff. As he said, you need to mix in some sprints with the running for optimum benefits. Also you may want to try drinking some chocolate milk after running. Apparently, it's an excellent combination of protein and carbohydrates that aids muscle recovery. Sounds crazy, but take a look at this.

http://www.starnewspapers.com/star/spsports/smix/111sx5.htm

abdiel2k3
12-02-2004, 09:42 PM

check yas later,
-Roxy

hmmm a nice big dose of man meat
very high in protein
:D

spinksjinx
12-02-2004, 11:14 PM
Good stuff from Leff. As he said, you need to mix in some sprints with the running for optimum benefits. Also you may want to try drinking some chocolate milk after running. Apparently, it's an excellent combination of protein and carbohydrates that aids muscle recovery. Sounds crazy, but take a look at this.

http://www.starnewspapers.com/star/spsports/smix/111sx5.htm

Chocolate Milk.....No

It is packed with sugars and saturated fat through the roof, after a workout a protein drink would be more suitable. Immediately following a workout you need protein pumped into your system and Milk slows down the process and doesnt break it down and digest fast enough...Protein powder with water is the best choice.....

Milk is a No No and is over rated....Way over rated.

spinksjinx
12-02-2004, 11:24 PM
abdiel-Funny that you mentioned that, Semen is packed with proteins and when I went to this gym a while back their was actually some guy who would mix semen into his drinks....Disgusting I know, some of the oddball things you see with bodybuilders and powerlifters....

Thing is the guy was straight and married....

Hmmmm

roXy graziano
12-02-2004, 11:51 PM
oh my G-d you guys this is great advice, thanks a ton for it

One more question, what if I can't eat meat? This is a big problem for me. Since I was young I've always got extremily sick if I eat much more than a bite of meat, except chicken oddly and I try to stay away from it because it's just greasy and fat, we can't usually afford meat that often anyway. I am also lactose intollerant so I have to limit the protein drinks I make (the stuff I buy I just mix with milk, it's probably not very good anyhow)

What's a good substitute for meat? This is probably my biggest dietary problem.

once again thanks, this is helping a lot

bchynn
12-02-2004, 11:58 PM
Anything with a lot of carbs.

roXy graziano
12-03-2004, 12:01 AM
yea but I still can't cut out protein entirely, that's not good even if I'm boxing or not. What's good substitutes? Likes eggs I know eggs have hella protein but how many eggs is good to have in one day when there's no meat in the diet?

abdiel2k3
12-03-2004, 12:16 AM
abdiel-Funny that you mentioned that, Semen is packed with proteins and when I went to this gym a while back their was actually some guy who would mix semen into his drinks....Disgusting I know, some of the oddball things you see with bodybuilders and powerlifters....

Thing is the guy was straight and married....

Hmmmm

sick
but i was just jokin
it actually is scientificlyproven to have quite a but of protein
how do i know u say
howard stern
lmao

blockburna944
12-03-2004, 12:36 AM
If you can't eat meat, there are lots of different types of beans very high in protein. they can be found for real cheap at most latin markets, and theres lots of ways to prepare them. (usually boil the night before, and mix into different stews or cook).

bchynn
12-03-2004, 12:44 AM
I wouldn't think there is such thing as too much protein. If you are going to eat a lot of eggs, make sure you don't oversaturate your body with cholesterol. I suppose a normal intake of protein, as it isn't something you can burn off.

spinksjinx
12-03-2004, 11:20 AM
Depending on your goals you dont need a MAXIMUM amount of protein, however it is beneficial

as blockburna said you can find them in beans and such.....Here

bchynn-If you consume to much protein it will put weight onto you, keep it within your weight levels

Roxy-Tuna is a cheap alternative to real meat...Why is your chicken breast greasy if you dont mind me asking?