View Full Version : What video file types can PS3 play from it's hard drive?

checkmate18x
02-25-2010, 04:19 AM
I'm just curious if it'll play my avi's, mkv's and stuff.

Clegg
02-25-2010, 04:57 AM
It can play avi fine, but not mkv.

If there's an mkv you want to watch on your PS3, it's worth downloading mkv2vob to convert the file type. That's what I use and it's worked perfectly everytime.

M Deezy
02-25-2010, 05:47 AM
It can play avi fine, but not mkv.

If there's an mkv you want to watch on your PS3, it's worth downloading mkv2vob to convert the file type. That's what I use and it's worked perfectly everytime.

U dont have to do that man. . all the converting and stuff.
Just google search: PS3 Media Server. it should be a link to a site ps3mediaserver.blogspot.com if i can remember correctly. you download that and install. and just open the program. It will detect your PS3 if its on and then you will be able to stream your mkv files to ur ps3 from your pc without having to convert anything. I use it and it works liek a charm, no need for mkv2vob

Clegg
02-25-2010, 06:48 AM
Just google search: PS3 Media Server. it should be a link to a site ps3mediaserver.blogspot.com if i can remember correctly. you download that and install. and just open the program. It will detect your PS3 if its on and then you will be able to stream your mkv files to ur ps3 from your pc without having to convert anything. I use it and it works liek a charm, no need for mkv2vob

Nah, I prefer to transfer the files to the PS3 anyway, that way I can watch them whenever I like without needing to do anything like that with the PC. Also mkv2vob doesn't need to be installed and does the job in about a minute so is preferable for me.

My laptop has a HDMI port as well, so if I needed to have the laptop running just to watch something through the PS3 then I'd just link the laptop to the TV.

M Deezy
02-26-2010, 04:17 AM
ah i see well thats cool man. . i got all my **** connected to my 42" so i rarely ever stream any of my videos on my xbox or my ps3 because i can just watch them on my pc. but sometimes i get lazy and i already got the controller in my hand so i stream it instead of getting up off the couch changing the channel to PC and doin a few mouse clicks lol

Clegg
02-26-2010, 04:25 AM
ah i see well thats cool man. . i got all my **** connected to my 42" so i rarely ever stream any of my videos on my xbox or my ps3 because i can just watch them on my pc. but sometimes i get lazy and i already got the controller in my hand so i stream it instead of getting up off the couch changing the channel to PC and doin a few mouse clicks lol

Cool. Another good thing about the PS3 is that you can use the browser to watch internet streams. Makes watching the live fights a bit more fun for those of us who don't get all the big fights legally lol.

Ryn0
02-27-2010, 10:40 AM
you could just use windows media player or Vuze...

checkmate18x
02-27-2010, 07:03 PM
Thanks for the replys, the Media Server sounds particularly interesting.