View Full Version : What happened to gerald Mclellan

Tha Greatest
09-27-2004, 02:26 AM
i hear lots bout this guy
what was so special about him and what happened to him
lets hear some stories

Riddick
09-27-2004, 02:51 AM
He was middleweight champ in early 90s who got permanently injured in brutal bout with Nigel Benn. McCellan had truly uncanny punching power....one of the hardest hitters ever.

m00ks
09-27-2004, 03:09 AM
He was middleweight champ in early 90s who got permanently injured in brutal bout with Nigel Benn. McCellan had truly uncanny punching power....one of the hardest hitters ever.

Scary **** when I saw the fight...proves how rough the sport can be

puppy_dogg
09-27-2004, 03:20 AM
to me the fight does'nt seem as brutal as its always made out to be, there's more brutal wars than that fight, its just that gerald was affected badly by what he got. some people handle punishment better than others, g-mans mind got ****ed up that night

m00ks
09-27-2004, 03:33 AM
to me the fight does'nt seem as brutal as its always made out to be, there's more brutal wars than that fight, its just that gerald was affected badly by what he got. some people handle punishment better than others, g-mans mind got ****ed up that night

I know what you mean, it wan't so much as a big motha****ing hit knocking out a guy cold but just he way gerald collapsed after was pretty intense.

puppy_dogg
09-27-2004, 03:36 AM
the way roy jones layed on the canvas completly motionless reminded me of how gerald looked in his corner after the fight. it was sad stuff.

Riddick
09-27-2004, 06:01 AM
Yeah, the fight wasnt anything like Gatti/Ward but it was pretty intense brawl nonetheless. It was great fight in my opinion. But I think the ref let Benn get away with lot of rabbit punching.

heatseeker
08-27-2006, 06:22 PM
I saw that fight live on TV. thier more than meets the eye. Benn was hitting the G man behind the head allot. Also G man wrapped his own hands for that fight. And anyone who knows boxing will tell you. IF your hands are wrapped right you can punch through walls and if thier wrapped wrong you cant punch through paper towel. Also Benn was hipnotized before that fight.
Im not sure if thats allowed anymore. Anyways if G man would had his hands wrpped the correct way the fight would of been over in the first round when G man knocked Benn through the ropes. Their was actually 13 seconds that went bye. Also G man had such power even with his hands wrapped wrong just the power in his arms were kncking Benn around however they didnt have the wreaking ball effect like a perfect wrapped hand will have.

Also after the fight in the hospital King said to his trainer that G man quit like a DOG. Its all in the book.

You all have to give G man more credit. He even beat Roy Jones Jr in the Ametures and Roy even says G man beat him. Roy always said he would never fight G man. Now thats a statement.

The Noose
08-27-2006, 06:28 PM
Wat book is this from?

The hand wraps thing sounds like an excuse to me. Benn was hurt many times but survived, and McClellan's defence was non existant.
I think Benn should be given credit for the win.

No one knows what happened to McCellans brain, and wat caused it, we can only speculate.
Also Benn being hypnotized was to do with personal issues, not the fight itself.

kedashy
08-27-2006, 08:27 PM
I caught the fight , and if you notice after he knocked him through the ropes he,s trying to end the fight ,i,ll say about a 1:25 to go benn throws a left hook that catches g man on the side of the head and g man reached for his head like someone hit him with a pipe or something to that nature and the rest is history....

TonyRingside
08-27-2006, 09:19 PM
I saw that fight live on TV. thier more than meets the eye. Benn was hitting the G man behind the head allot. Also G man wrapped his own hands for that fight. And anyone who knows boxing will tell you. IF your hands are wrapped right you can punch through walls and if thier wrapped wrong you cant punch through paper towel. Also Benn was hipnotized before that fight.
Im not sure if thats allowed anymore. Anyways if G man would had his hands wrpped the correct way the fight would of been over in the first round when G man knocked Benn through the ropes. Their was actually 13 seconds that went bye. Also G man had such power even with his hands wrapped wrong just the power in his arms were kncking Benn around however they didnt have the wreaking ball effect like a perfect wrapped hand will have.

Also after the fight in the hospital King said to his trainer that G man quit like a DOG. Its all in the book.
You all have to give G man more credit. He even beat Roy Jones Jr in the Ametures and Roy even says G man beat him. Roy always said he would never fight G man. Now thats a statement.

yeah that's whats in my signature

GodlessAngel
08-27-2006, 10:09 PM
Benn was lucky but he did win & especially in the long run

GodlessAngel
08-27-2006, 10:10 PM
Gerald McClellan (born October 23, 1967 in Freeport, Illinois) is a former boxer from the United States, who was world Middleweight champion. Trained by hall of fame trainer Emanuel Steward, he conquered the WBO world Middleweight championship knocking out John Mugabi in one round in 1991, and the WBC's version by knocking out Julian Jackson in five rounds in 1993.

McClellan, nicknamed The G-Man, never realised his initially awesome potential due to a tragedy which struck when McClellan went up in weight to challenge world Super-Middleweight champion Nigel Benn in London on February 25 of 1995. Televised to the United States by Showtime, the fight had a devastating ending, as McClellan, after dropping Benn out of the ring in round one and once again in round eight, took a knee in round ten and was counted out, collapsing in his corner and losing consciousness. French referee Alfred Azaro was harshly criticized as inept for the way he handled the fight.

McClellan recovered his consciousness, but he lost his eyesight and his ability to walk. Sports Illustrated ran an article about the fight and its outcome one week after the fight. McClellan's family flew to be by his side, and later on, he was flown back to his home country. He has recently recovered some ability to walk, being helped by a cane, but he has not recovered his eyesight. In addition, he has lost a great deal of his hearing and his short-term memory was profoundly affected. His three sisters, more particularly Lisa McClellan, are responsible for his care nowadays. He has been the honoree at numerous banquets and award ceremonies, and fellow boxing world champion Roy Jones Jr., often pointed as a possible rival during the 1980s, set up a foundation to help McClellan.

McClellan's record as a professional boxer was 31 wins and 3 losses with 29 wins by knockout. McClellan's opponents rarely got past the third round.

joeytrimble
08-27-2006, 10:24 PM
what happened to g-man and nigel benn as both fighters were never the same is exactly what happens when a rhino runs into a wall

GodlessAngel
08-27-2006, 10:40 PM
what happened to g-man and nigel benn as both fighters were never the same is exactly what happens when a rhino runs into a wall
exactly !!! are you sure ?

realheavyhands
06-24-2008, 10:25 PM
It Wasnt The Benn Fight That Did It..there Were Signs Earlier.. I Read On Of His Sparring Partners Hit Him With A Jab And Hurt Him And Gerlad Lied And Said He Poked Him In The Eye.. And The Guy Said Did I Really Poke U In The Eye And Gerlad Said No U Hurt Me.. This Is A Guy That Was Capable Of Walking Thru A Thomas Hearns Right Hand .. And If Anything In Boxing Cuased His Condition Said To Say I Think It Was Cuz He Walk Thru Thomas Hearns Right Hands

supermandathoe
06-24-2008, 10:31 PM

That sir................is a lie

Weebler I
06-24-2008, 10:32 PM
I caught the fight , and if you notice after he knocked him through the ropes he,s trying to end the fight ,i,ll say about a 1:25 to go benn throws a left hook that catches g man on the side of the head and g man reached for his head like someone hit him with a pipe or something to that nature and the rest is history....

yeah, McClellan was already hurt going into that fight. He'd fought a big punching fighter (Julian somebody) a couple of weeks before.

supermandathoe
06-24-2008, 10:34 PM
He was feeling the head pains far before the Benn bout. Even after the Jackson bout he was feeling intense headaches. One of boxings saddest stories.

Weebler I
06-24-2008, 10:44 PM
He was feeling the head pains far before the Benn bout. Even after the Jackson bout he was feeling intense headaches. One of boxings saddest stories.

yeah, for sure. I wonder if it was the Jackson fight which hurt him. Probably.

Scott9945
06-24-2008, 11:11 PM
It was tragic what happened to McClellan, even if he was a piece of **** as a person.

ИATAS
06-24-2008, 11:18 PM
I thought it was pretty clear the injuries were caused from the Benn fight. I mean, that is when he collapsed.

Impossible to pin point what punch did the most damage or if it was just all of them that led to it, or the rabbit punches.

So many things wrong with that fight looking back now, mostly the REF who was a complete jackass, totally incompetent who should have been fired and banned from the sport forever.

Also, you should note that Don King pretty much was raping the G-man for his money. His total purse for the Benn fight was $250,000, most all went to Don King, the rest to his trainer (manny stewart) and others. The family didn't get ****. "McClellan's purse was reduced to $62,920.75 by deductions for expenses, the largest of which was a settlement of $119,275.25 paid to McClellan's manager, John Davimos, and Steward, who split with McClellan before the Benn fight." (url=http://members.tripod.com/~gmantrust/logan1.htm]source[/url]

Only later did don king donated some money to the family, basically as a way to cover up the fact that everyone knew he was a slime ball.

Last I heard the g-mans two sisters take care of him which is a constant struggle since it costs over $70,000 a year to care for him.

Really sad story.

http://www.geraldmcclellan.com/gallery7.jpg

I really hated Nigel Benn for a while because of the way he acted after the fight. The g-man was in the corner obviously seriously hurt and benn was being a complete arrogant prick. I understand now he didn't realize the seriousness of the situation and probably didn't mean it, still though, I'll never forget that.

Weebler I
06-24-2008, 11:58 PM
I thought it was pretty clear the injuries were caused from the Benn fight. I mean, that is when he collapsed.

Impossible to pin point what punch did the most damage or if it was just all of them that led to it, or the rabbit punches.

So many things wrong with that fight looking back now, mostly the REF who was a complete jackass, totally incompetent who should have been fired and banned from the sport forever.

Also, you should note that Don King pretty much was raping the G-man for his money. His total purse for the Benn fight was $250,000, most all went to Don King, the rest to his trainer (manny stewart) and others. The family didn't get ****. "McClellan's purse was reduced to $62,920.75 by deductions for expenses, the largest of which was a settlement of $119,275.25 paid to McClellan's manager, John Davimos, and Steward, who split with McClellan before the Benn fight." (url=http://members.tripod.com/~gmantrust/logan1.htm]source[/url]

Only later did don king donated some money to the family, basically as a way to cover up the fact that everyone knew he was a slime ball.

Last I heard the g-mans two sisters take care of him which is a constant struggle since it costs over $70,000 a year to care for him.

Really sad story.

http://www.geraldmcclellan.com/gallery7.jpg

I really hated Nigel Benn for a while because of the way he acted after the fight. The g-man was in the corner obviously seriously hurt and benn was being a complete arrogant prick. I understand now he didn't realize the seriousness of the situation and probably didn't mean it, still though, I'll never forget that.

You're completely wrong. You can see that a regular Benn punch to the top of G man's head in the first round when G man was fresh hurt McClellan way more than it was supposed to. It was clearly a pre-existing injury.

miron_lang
06-25-2008, 12:09 AM

I agree. That ref is at the level of Lawrence Cole. ****in BIAS!!! he keeps on holding McLelan when benn was hurt in the 1st round. It could have been a 1st round KO.

ИATAS
06-25-2008, 12:13 AM
You're completely wrong. You can see that a regular Benn punch to the top of G man's head in the first round when G man was fresh hurt McClellan way more than it was supposed to. It was clearly a pre-existing injury.

Oh **** I didn't realize we have a doctor in the house that examined Gerald prior to the fight. Tell us more about your medical research conducted on Gerald...

Big_L
06-25-2008, 01:13 AM
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/LGz-unNi1dU&hl=en"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/LGz-unNi1dU&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

realheavyhands
06-25-2008, 01:14 AM
oh **** I Didn't Realize We Have A Doctor In The House That Examined Gerald Prior To The Fight. Tell Us More About Your Medical Research Conducted On Gerald...

It Was A Preexisting Injury..even If The Ref Did Work The Fight Properly It Was Still Going To Happen In The Next Fight Or Fight After That...like I Said Before There Is An Interview With A Sparring Partner Of The Kronk Gym Who Hurt Mclellan With A Jab ,,mclellan Had A Hell Of A Chin.. Steward Said He Walked Straight Thru A Hearns Right Hand.. Could Be All The Sparring With Hearns That Did It Or It Could Just Be A Freak Accident Or Something He Was Born With..but It Wasnt Becuase Of Benn..it Would Of Happened Who Ever He Fought.. He Was Beating The **** Out Of Benn..and If That Fight Happened Today It Would Have Been Stopped In The First Round.. Mcclellan In My Book Is The Best Ever..

Big_L
06-25-2008, 01:19 AM
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/LRfR3iy20wA&hl=en"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/LRfR3iy20wA&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

BennyST
06-25-2008, 01:28 AM
Oh **** I didn't realize we have a doctor in the house that examined Gerald prior to the fight. Tell us more about your medical research conducted on Gerald...

Actually man, he did have a preexisting condition going into that fight. You can see it after only about two rounds. Watch the way Gerald opens his mouth after even the first round and also the fact he does not sweat throughout any of the fight at all! He is dry as a bone while Benn, and any healthy fighter would be, is pouring sweat. That is actually a symptom of possible brain injury not sending the correct signals and very severe dehydration. He was f*cked going into that fight, no doubt about it. It was a great win and very courageous of Benn but Gerald was done for.

There are various points throughout the fight in which he is constantly blinking his eyes, especially when he takes a knee the first and second time. He is staring at the ground and blinking his eyes rapidly.

None of this is at all about taking away from what Benn did and how he won. He showed lots of heart. The simple fact is though that Gerald was, at some point, whether it was in this fight or another, going to have this happen to him in a fight.

His brain already had trauma to it and unfortunately it came out in this fight after he got hit a lot all around the head. In the side, back and front. It should be an immediate stoppage for any fighter that doesn't sweat. That is a classic symptom of someone in danger and any doctor knows that. Why his corner didn't stop after Gerald even said he can't go on is f*cking well beyond me! Quite a few people don't even know that. Gerald asked them to stop it and his corner told him to keep going.

Silencers
06-25-2008, 01:30 AM
I think it was inevitable as sad as it is to say because he was complaining of headaches and neck pain after as far as after the first Jackson fight.

ИATAS
06-25-2008, 01:32 AM
Actually man, he did have a preexisting condition going into that fight. You can see it after only about two rounds. Watch the way Gerald opens his mouth after even the first round and also the fact he does not sweat throughout any of the fight at all! He is dry as a bone while Benn, and any healthy fighter would be, is pouring sweat. That is actually a symptom of possible brain injury not sending the correct signals and very severe dehydration. He was f*cked going into that fight, no doubt about it. It was a great win and very courageous of Benn but Gerald was done for.

There are various points throughout the fight in which he is constantly blinking his eyes, especially when he takes a knee the first and second time. He is staring at the ground and blinking his eyes rapidly.

None of this is at all about taking away from what Benn did and how he won. He showed lots of heart. The simple fact is though that Gerald was, at some point, whether it was in this fight or another, going to have this happen to him in a fight.

His brain already had trauma to it and unfortunately it came out in this fight after he got hit a lot all around the head. In the side, back and front. It should be an immediate stoppage for any fighter that doesn't sweat. That is a classic symptom of someone in danger and any doctor knows that. Why his corner didn't stop after Gerald even said he can't go on is f*cking well beyond me! Quite a few people don't even know that. Gerald asked them to stop it and his corner told him to keep going.

where is the evidence for any of this? This is all speculation. Yes, I remember him blinking his eyes after he took a lot of shots from Benn. Was he was blinking his eyes before the fight!? No

Further, are you a doctor? If not people shouldn't go around saying he had a "pre-existing condition" based entirely on speculation.

And even if you are a doctor it's impossible to give a medical diagnosis based on watching a fight. You can speculate, but speculation is not fact.

Thread Stealer
06-25-2008, 04:52 AM
i hear lots bout this guy
what was so special about him and what happened to him
lets hear some stories

Lynch had one of the best tongue-twister flows ever.

Clegg
06-25-2008, 05:07 AM
Why wasn't Manny in his corner for this fight?

Silencers
06-25-2008, 05:09 AM

Him and McClellan had a falling out.

Thread Stealer
06-25-2008, 05:10 AM

It's been awhile since I've seen this fight, but I know they had some sort of falling out or disagreements.

G-Man publically criticized Steward during an interview on Showtime. He was saying that Manny only wants to show up during the end of training camp instead of training him throughout the camp like a trainer should.

DURAN_IS_GOD
06-25-2008, 05:11 AM
i've heard that gerald was having severe headaches, nausea after a number of his bouts. Guess it was one of those tragic things that was waiting to happen unfortunately

that being said, Benn won the fight fair and square. He was the better man on the night

Silencers
06-25-2008, 05:15 AM
It's been awhile since I've seen this fight, but I know they had some sort of falling out or disagreements.

G-Man publically criticized Steward during an interview on Showtime. He was saying that Manny only wants to show up during the end of training camp instead of training him throughout the camp like a trainer should.

Steward said it was because McClellan started falling in love with his power and was looking for the knockout too much and when Steward asked him to go a few rounds to pace himself McClellan refused and it caused a rift between them.

Weebler I
06-25-2008, 05:52 AM
where is the evidence for any of this? This is all speculation. Yes, I remember him blinking his eyes after he took a lot of shots from Benn. He was blinking his eyes before the fight!

Further, are you a doctor? If not people shouldn't go around saying he had a "pre-existing condition" based entirely on speculation.

And even if you are a doctor it's impossible to give a medical diagnosis based on watching a fight. You can speculate, but speculation is not fact.

ur being stupid. watch the fight closely, in the first round benn returns a punch which didn't look hard at all, he catches mcclellan on the top of the head and mcclellan has a major overreaction to it, it was a pre-existing problem

ATFsven
06-25-2008, 06:10 AM
I can not believe the ****ing wankers on here blaming Benn! its a ****ing fight for ****s sake!

People who have seen the fight will see that it is a classic fight where one mans WILL overcomes the others. Benn outlasts Gerald. and how was he supposed to know the state of him while he was celebrating his win??? **** sake.

DWiens421
06-25-2008, 02:11 PM
yeah, for sure. I wonder if it was the Jackson fight which hurt him. Probably.

Probably... McClellan vs. Jackson might have been the bout in history that featured the most punching power between the two fighters. Just insane how powerful both of those guys were.

ИATAS
06-25-2008, 02:21 PM
ur being stupid. watch the fight closely, in the first round benn returns a punch which didn't look hard at all, he catches mcclellan on the top of the head and mcclellan has a major overreaction to it, it was a pre-existing problem

I guess you don't understand what I'm saying, it's cool.

And yeah, I AM the stupid one :::looks at your sig, laughs:::