View Full Version : Who was the strongest heavyweight puncher of all time?

rge
05-16-2005, 03:09 AM
I am asking who was the strongest heavyweight puncher of all time, it isn't neither about boxing techniques nor strong chin. I can't add more than 10 to the poll so I put those. If you have another one comment.

The Troll
05-16-2005, 03:37 AM
The strongest puncher is. Tell me what came up when you clicked my picture. George Foreman.

wmute
05-16-2005, 03:38 AM
add

louis
liston
shavers

remove

bruno
peter
ike
lewis
johnson

my vore goes to shavers, cos ali and holmes both said so (and they were hit by foreman, liston and tyson)

fight fan
05-16-2005, 11:47 PM
Max Baer should be added to the list! Whether he could hit as hard as Shavers is for debate and impossible to prove, but he certainly should rank in the top 10!

NiGe2011
05-17-2005, 02:29 AM
Sonny Liston, Sonny Liston, Sonny Liston, Sonny Liston, Sonny Liston, Sonny Liston, Sonny Liston, Sonny Liston, Sonny Liston, Sonny Liston, Sonny Liston, Sonny Liston, Sonny Liston, Sonny Liston, Sonny Liston, Sonny Liston, Sonny Liston, Sonny Liston, Sonny Liston, Sonny Liston, Sonny Liston, Sonny Liston, Sonny Liston, Sonny Liston, Sonny Liston, Sonny Liston, Sonny Liston, Sonny Liston, Sonny Liston, Sonny Liston, Sonny Liston, Sonny Liston, Sonny Liston, Sonny Liston, Sonny Liston, Sonny Liston, Sonny Liston, Sonny Liston, Sonny Liston, Sonny Liston... any questions?

rge
05-17-2005, 06:55 PM
add

louis
liston
shavers

remove

bruno
peter
ike
lewis
johnson

I don't think we should remove these five, how do you know that Peter hits less than Louis?

my vore goes to shavers, cos ali and holmes both said so (and they were hit by foreman, liston and tyson)

But Ali wasn't hit with a stong Foreman punch on the face, because of his defence that night. He may got hit by Ernie so he put it. And he didn't try Tyson.

Also, Joe Louis and Jack Dempsey said the strongest is Foreman, they saw them all until 1980, that's why I included so many since 1980.

adeelr
05-17-2005, 07:01 PM
it has to be Mike Tyson, tyson was the strongest puncher, i am not saying he had the most power behind his punches, but he has to be the strongest puncher meaning he knew when to punch and where to punch to maximize the damage.

Shaolin Bushido
05-17-2005, 07:29 PM
George Foreman.

wmute
05-17-2005, 08:56 PM
I don't think we should remove these five, how do you know that Peter hits less than Louis?

well how do i know that my neighbor does not punch harder than foreman?

none of them koed world class opposition

can I be sure? no
if limited to 10 fighters who would I put in foreman or my neighbor? foreman

But Ali wasn't hit with a stong Foreman punch on the face, because of his defence that night. He may got hit by Ernie so he put it. And he didn't try Tyson.

yes he was: right uppercut round 6 or 7, go and see
anyway foreman would be a very reasonable choice for me, too

ali did not try tyson
but holmes tried tyson and shavers and said shavers hit harder

Also, Joe Louis and Jack Dempsey said the strongest is Foreman, they saw them all until 1980, that's why I included so many since 1980.

Does the logic goes like this

"if Louis and Dempsey say foreman; therefore it must be foreman, and if anyone is stronger it must be someone after foreman"?

if so why did you put in marciano, johnson and frazier?

if the logic is different then can you explain

DoubleTap`
05-17-2005, 09:40 PM
I'll say Iron Mike.

rge
05-19-2005, 03:02 AM
ali did not try tyson
but holmes tried tyson and shavers and said shavers hit harder

Do you remeber if he said that after 1988 when he fought Tyson?

Does the logic goes like this

"if Louis and Dempsey say foreman; therefore it must be foreman, and if anyone is stronger it must be someone after foreman"?

if so why did you put in marciano, johnson and frazier?

if the logic is different then can you explain

I put them because sometimes there are people who choose for example Marciano. I put a few more because of that.

wmute
05-19-2005, 05:13 AM
Do you remeber if he said that after 1988 when he fought Tyson?

I do believe so, but to be sure
I googled around a bit and found out (but only quoted, no cmoplete interview), that holmes ranks 2 HW above tyson in terms of punching power: shavers and cooney.

and foreman says cooney was the one who hit him the hardest, but he did not fight shavers, tyson or himself

What Time Is IT?
05-22-2005, 06:35 AM
Where the hell is Earnie Shavers and Joe Louis?

BZZZZZZZZZTTTT!!!

Invalid list.

TheGreat1
05-22-2005, 10:44 AM
Where the hell is Earnie Shavers and Joe Louis?

BZZZZZZZZZTTTT!!!

Invalid list.

some where behind Foreman

The_One77
05-22-2005, 07:30 PM
lennox lewis had one hell of a right hand, but i would say george foreman. No other man could blast an opponent like george foreman.

Eric Persson
05-23-2005, 03:00 AM
some where behind Foreman

Haha, agreed.

Floydmayweather
05-23-2005, 03:18 AM
Ernie Shavers ;)

Southpaw16
05-27-2005, 01:33 PM
It is an OK list, but Ernie Shavers and Max Baer are definately big ommissions. And seriously, who at this point is going to vote in Samuel Peter as the hardest puncher in heavyweight history? I would say Foreman.

The Troll
05-27-2005, 02:39 PM
When Lewis loaded up with his right hand and landed it Flush. There is not a fighter in the world who could sustain that punch.

Against Tyon Razor Ruddock in the second fight got hit clean with alot of Tyson's punches and he was down 3 times in that fight. One of the times he went down, he went down smiling. The guy had a really good chin. When he fought Lewis though. Lewis landed a right hand on him that he loaded up with and it landed clean. Ruddock went down and he stayed down from that punch. I was thinking to myself (well he sure aint smiling now.)

But Tyson was the most explosive power puncher ever.

The_One77
05-27-2005, 03:04 PM
mckay, btw is that u in the picture.

welsh
05-27-2005, 03:21 PM
tyson has got to be the most explosive and agressive puncher but i would have to say foreman is right there behind or even with him. and i havent seen anough of shavers.

Kid Achilles
05-27-2005, 03:30 PM
Baer, Firpo, Dempsey, and Cooney all hit harder than Jack Johnson or even Joe Frazier. Frazier had a nice quick left hook but it was not as powerful as Dempsey's or Cooney's. Remember that Frazier tagged Foreman with a strong left hook early in their first fight and it didn't even shake him up. Based on how badly he had Foreman hurt, I would name Ron Lyle as a harder puncher than Joe.

Ibeabuchi has no place on this list. His only impressive KO was Byrd. I have some early fights of his and he whacks some journeyman level guys with some very good punches and they don't go down. He was not a one punch fighter; he merely caught Byrd with the perfect punch like Ali did to Bonavena. Ike was more of a strong pressure fighter/ stalker.

thatruth830
05-28-2005, 03:31 AM
If any of you people know the law of science you'll know what im talking about. Foreman had nautral punching power and size, tyson on the other hand had nutral punchin power, not as much size but hella speed. with mikes natural punchin power and those fast hands its gotta be mike. speed+power = ya ***** ass is knowcked out

wmute
05-28-2005, 03:34 AM
If any of you people know the law of science you'll know what im talking about. Foreman had nautral punching power and size, tyson on the other hand had nutral punchin power, not as much size but hella speed. with mikes natural punchin power and those fast hands its gotta be mike. speed+power = ya ***** ass is knowcked out

holmes said shavers and cooney hit harder than tyson

Kid Achilles
05-28-2005, 03:42 AM
Tyson just didn't have as much power as Shavers or Foreman as we've gone over a million times. The topic is strongest puncher and not best or most efficient puncher.

cornerman
05-28-2005, 10:31 AM
Id have to say Foreman, but if Ali and Holmes both claim that Shavers hits harder then i'll respect their opinion.

EXIGE
05-28-2005, 11:09 AM
i heard that Frank Bruno had a record breaking punch power but he just couldnt utilise it much. he beat every1 on that machine thing that u find in the arcades though.

tommyhearns804
06-04-2005, 09:44 PM
let me see maricano wasnt a heavyweight but a cruiserweight so he isnt up their.foreman was able to hurt holyfield and tyson wasnt and a holyfield said foreman hits harder.the only person liston knocked out was the glass chin patterson.holmes never fought foreman so hims saying shavers hits harder is stupid and holmes is a moron on his forum he said butterbean hits harder than both tyson and shavers.
you could either say shavers or foreman

.::EnRiQuE::.
06-05-2005, 01:21 AM
what kinda puncher are u talkin about? "one punch ko puncher" like foreman or a "deadly combination ko puncher" like prime tyson?

svsv
06-05-2005, 01:44 AM
Yeah. I got to go with Tyson on this one.

Frank Bruno -> LOL!

Rocky_Balboa
06-05-2005, 08:19 AM
Prime 24 year old George Foreman, if someone beats that power, we will be assure of it, trust me.

scottie
06-07-2005, 10:32 PM
Joe Louis, not in the list though.

XionComrade
06-08-2005, 12:19 AM
It was Earnie Shavers, Holmes said he hit harder than Tyson and Ali said he hit harder then Foreman

sonofisis
06-08-2005, 01:29 AM
Pound for pund, i'd have to say iron mike, he was just devastating..

sonofisis
06-08-2005, 01:29 AM
i would say foreman, but he was bigger than tyson..

ricecrispi
06-09-2005, 06:36 PM
The heaviest hitters have to be Marciano and Foreman. Explosive, Shavers and tyson and lewis. Marciano and Forman, anything they threw hurt. Marciano hit so hard he used like a custom 300 pound heavy bag and the 200 pound one was like his speed bag!! Pure single knock power has to be Shavers, Tyson, and Lewis, ow yeah Baer. These four had the greatest single punch power but some of their other punches didn't have that zip.

thatruth830
06-16-2005, 03:27 AM
marciano..... your kidding right. its either shavers, foreman or tyson and thats that

Eken
06-16-2005, 06:55 AM
Tyson all the way!

Jack H
06-17-2005, 10:00 PM
I agree with you RE: Holmes is a moron.

And Tyson was nearly 10 years past his prime when he fought Holy, so the fact that he didn't knock him out is redundant. We have to talk about boxer's in their peak. i.e. Tyson 1986-1988. So, i would have to say Tyson or Foreman, and possibly Shavers. Lewis.......HELL NO!!!

Jack H
06-17-2005, 10:05 PM
i heard that Frank Bruno had a record breaking punch power but he just couldnt utilise it much. he beat every1 on that machine thing that u find in the arcades though.

I didn't know that. It's a shame that he was a "manufactured" fighter with no "real" substance

sonofisis
06-20-2005, 11:38 PM
Tyson, no.. no, Foreman..

Jack H
06-21-2005, 01:14 AM
Tyson, no.. no, Foreman..

Ok, it'd be pretty hard to tell. But i wouldn't argue against Foreman being a harder hitter than Tyson. But he would be the only one (and maybe Shavers) who could compete with Tyson.

buff_mike10
06-23-2005, 12:51 AM
Shavers then Foreman then Marciano for power. Tyson had alot of speed and came at you from all angles. Tommy Morrison hit harder than Tyson, at least thats what Razor Ruddock said. Holmes said he didnt hit very hard, that he was just sharp. If the question was who has the best one punch KO. I'd say Tyson, because speed and decent power is better than alot of power and not much speed

Slipx
06-24-2005, 07:08 AM
whoever voted tyson is a novice.

foreman was easily the strongest puncher..

he could unstick a vw bug out of a mudhole with a ****ing jab lol

whoever voted for marciano is a white dude

whoever voted for JJ is some old black guy

whoever voted bruno is some euro***

Imira
06-27-2005, 01:48 AM
George Foreman. Mainly on who he stopped along with how many. Jack Dempsey should also be on this list if Frank Bruno is here.

dmar
06-27-2005, 07:10 PM
its a tossup between marciano tyson and foreman..dempsey has to be on the list of top 10..

Dempsey 1919
10-26-2005, 03:47 PM
George Foreman. Period. six-four 225lbs. 82in. reach. all over Smokin' Joe, and Ken Norton. Nobody, except maybe Sonny Liston comes a little close.

Verstyle
11-02-2005, 11:32 PM
tyson put more effort and fury in his punches.

JMCbulls
11-03-2005, 12:31 AM
foreman, tysons up there to

Dempsey 1919
11-04-2005, 04:49 PM
foreman, tysons up there to
liston would be up there as well.

i see by your avatar that you are a basketball fan. you saw kobe first two games? he is gonna win da scoring title this year, not iverson!

Derranged
11-05-2005, 05:47 PM
Corrie Sanders should replace Lennox Lewis on the list

Derranged
11-05-2005, 05:47 PM
Not to say that he was the hardest hitter.

Linx
11-05-2005, 10:23 PM
It terms of one punch power, I'd go with Ernie Shavers.

Da Iceman
11-25-2005, 10:56 PM
its gotta be rocky marciano read this

Up and coming prospect Carmine Vingo (6ft 4, 220lbs), a heavy hitting slugger who was involved in a Dempsey-Firpo type match up with Rocky. Was knocked out in the sixth round and sent into a coma, which left him paralysed on one side of his body and unable to continue his boxing career.

from: http://www.********boxing.com/news.php?p=4488&more=1

Punster
11-25-2005, 11:27 PM
I'm surprised that Liston isn't on there.

Da Iceman
11-27-2005, 10:35 AM
yea that shut them up

Lawnmower55
11-28-2005, 12:59 PM
George Foreman literally lifted Frazier off the canvas with some of those body shots in their first fight. I wasn't old enough to see the fight live, but have seen the replays. Unbelievable...

Da Iceman
11-28-2005, 01:13 PM
whats with that guy in your pic lawnmower55?

Dempsey 1919
11-28-2005, 07:03 PM
George Foreman literally lifted Frazier off the canvas with some of those body shots in their first fight. I wasn't old enough to see the fight live, but have seen the replays. Unbelievable...

exactly, so that makes foreman the strongest puncher! :D

XionComrade
11-28-2005, 08:55 PM
This depends, which kind of strength are you talking about, Body Strength(Like a wrestler) Or Punching Power(Like Earnie Shavers)?

For Power its a dead even tie between Gerry Cooney and Shavers

For Strength its George Foreman

Kid Achilles
11-28-2005, 09:00 PM
I think Willard was even stronger than Foreman. Foreman is up there though, along with Tex Cobb.

Skydog
11-28-2005, 09:37 PM
I dunno, Jack Johnson had incredible upper body strength. Those arms are some of the biggest I've ever seen.

As for legs, I would have to go with Frazier as the strongest legs.

Yogi
11-28-2005, 10:00 PM
For pure strength I'd rank George Godfrey right near or even at the top of such as a list, as that's one of the main things he was known for throughout his boxing career. He certainly had a pretty easy time pushing Primo Carnera around in the only fight I've seen from him, and that's certainly no small feat considering Carnera's size and own physical strength.

Lawnmower55
11-29-2005, 09:23 AM
whats with that guy in your pic lawnmower55?

Thats a guy I know from around here

Da Iceman
11-29-2005, 09:53 AM
naw marciano's were bigger
http://memoireairfrance.canalblog.com/images/rocky_marciano21.jpg
http://www.writestuffautographs.com/shop/images/products/boxing23.jpg

lawnmower has that guy ever heard of a shower

Dempsey 1919
11-29-2005, 02:16 PM
well, if ya'll gonna dissect body part parts, well here it goes, from head to toe.

neck: mike tyson
arms: george foreman
back: muhammad ali
chest: mike tyson
midsection: muhammad ali
legs: muhammad ali

BiggestBoxingFanEver
11-29-2005, 02:56 PM
Ron Lyle and Ernie Shavers should be up there in the list.

Da Iceman
11-29-2005, 06:56 PM
i wouldnt really give ali the strongest legs or foreman the strongest arms, but since we talkin about any mother****er i think butterbean got some big ass legs
http://www.millerlitefightnight.com/fightnight/photo_library/images/Butterbean-throws-072204.jpg

Dempsey 1919
11-29-2005, 07:22 PM
i wouldnt really give ali the strongest legs or foreman the strongest arms, but since we talkin about any mother****er i think butterbean got some big ass legs
http://www.millerlitefightnight.com/fightnight/photo_library/images/Butterbean-throws-072204.jpg

of course he had the strongest legs. what do you think enabled him to dance like that in the ring at 213? and it was effortless to him! he arguably has the strongest legs in boxing history!

Dempsey 1919
11-29-2005, 07:24 PM
I think Willard was even stronger than Foreman. Foreman is up there though, along with Tex Cobb.

hahahahahahahahaha. then how come he couldn't take out dempsey?

Kid Achilles
11-29-2005, 10:15 PM
Because he was old, and had nowhere near Dempsey's skill perhaps?

Willard was discovered casually lifting five hundred pound bales of hay into a truck by himself. He had awe inspiring functional strength. He had an extremely heavy punch as well, as indicated by the way he broke William "Bull" Young's neck with a single blow. I have never heard of any other boxer snapping another fighter's neck with one punch, before or since.

Willard's problem was that he lacked a fighter's temperment. He didn't like hurting people, or even hard training for that matter. If he had Jack Dempsey's mindset and aggressive personality, he would have likely been an all time great.

Da Iceman
11-29-2005, 10:34 PM
of course he had the strongest legs. what do you think enabled him to dance like that in the ring at 213? and it was effortless to him! he arguably has the strongest legs in boxing history!
you gotta have strong legs to carry around 500 tons of fat

ThaKing
12-01-2005, 06:42 PM
it has to be eitheir tyson or foreman , but i gotta go with foreman

Dempsey 1919
12-01-2005, 06:47 PM
you gotta have strong legs to carry around 500 tons of fat

you also gotta have strong legs to dance around at blinding speed carrying 210+ pounds too! :)

Da Iceman
12-01-2005, 08:30 PM
i think 500 tons of fat is more than dancin and carrying 210+ pounds for 6 or 7 rounds

Dempsey 1919
12-01-2005, 08:39 PM
i think 500 tons of fat is more than dancin and carrying 210+ pounds for 6 or 7 rounds

you mean 15 (if he wanted to).

Skydog
12-01-2005, 09:33 PM
Dude, dancing doesn't take strong legs, just good stamina. Sure, Ali had very strong legs, but I don't think he had the strongest legs in boxing.

Dempsey 1919
12-02-2005, 02:19 AM
Dude, dancing doesn't take strong legs, just good stamina. Sure, Ali had very strong legs, but I don't think he had the strongest legs in boxing.

what are you talking about. dancing for a long period of time takes stamina, but dancing to begin with takes leg strength, the ability to be that fast on his legs while supporting a 213lb. frame takes tremendous leg strength.

whdempsey
12-02-2005, 06:13 AM
I am asking who was the strongest heavyweight puncher of all time, it isn't neither about boxing techniques nor strong chin. I can't add more than 10 to the poll so I put those. If you have another one comment.
I find it hard to believe that you didn't put Jack Dempsey or Jow Louis. That's ignorant.

leow
12-02-2005, 06:38 AM
David Tua ... his left means death!

rge
12-02-2005, 11:33 AM
I find it hard to believe that you didn't put Jack Dempsey or Jow Louis. That's ignorant.

I suppose you mean Joe Louis.

You are the ignorant. Dempsey is a medium size cruiseweight today, and Louis is a small heavyweight, no way they hit like Foreman or Tua.

Imira
12-02-2005, 01:34 PM
Louis didn't hit like Foreman or Tua? Based off what? "He was too small"?

He dropped Primo Carnera with one right hand and eventually knocked him out. Carnera was 6'5" tall and 260 pounds.

He knocked out Abe Simon twice. In the second fight, Joe staggered Simon with just about every punch. Simon was 6'4" 253 pounds.

He knocked out Buddy Baer twice. The second fight only lasted one round. Buddy Baer was 6'6" tall 237 in the first fight and 251 for the second.

Buddy Baer and Max Baer had never been off their feet before the Louis fight. Carnera had only been KO'd by Max Baer before he fought Louis and it took Baer 11 rounds while Joe turned the trick in 6.

I'd say Joe generated the same power as Foreman or Tua, based off what I've seen of him and his opponents.

Two Fisted Piston
12-02-2005, 02:25 PM
Shavers & Liston should be on that list.

Bruno,Lewis,Johnson shouldn't be on it!

Two Fisted Piston
12-02-2005, 02:27 PM
From what Ive seen and since Im only 15 I gotta say Iron Mike.
Its was frightening how strong he was!

Dempsey 1919
12-02-2005, 02:40 PM
look at the poll results..................enough said.

rge
12-02-2005, 03:46 PM
Hi Imira, nice points, however, I think that most of the guys that Louis koed weren't by one ultra powerful punch like Tua vs Ruiz, Lewis Rahman II, etc., with exceptions, like Carnera, but Carnera didn't have a good chin.

rge
12-02-2005, 03:49 PM
Shavers & Liston should be on that list.

Bruno,Lewis,Johnson shouldn't be on it!

Good point on Johnson. I put some guys there because so many people say they are the hardest hitting guys, I'd like to know how many people would vote for Marciano and Johnson, but I agree with you Shavers and Liston hit harder.

Verstyle
12-02-2005, 04:04 PM
big george foreman cause he really didnt even move and he can knock u out. thats 1 strong ****er.

Verstyle
12-02-2005, 04:06 PM
Louis didn't hit like Foreman or Tua? Based off what? "He was too small"?

He dropped Primo Carnera with one right hand and eventually knocked him out. Carnera was 6'5" tall and 260 pounds.

He knocked out Abe Simon twice. In the second fight, Joe staggered Simon with just about every punch. Simon was 6'4" 253 pounds.

He knocked out Buddy Baer twice. The second fight only lasted one round. Buddy Baer was 6'6" tall 237 in the first fight and 251 for the second.

Buddy Baer and Max Baer had never been off their feet before the Louis fight. Carnera had only been KO'd by Max Baer before he fought Louis and it took Baer 11 rounds while Joe turned the trick in 6.

I'd say Joe generated the same power as Foreman or Tua, based off what I've seen of him and his opponents.

just because your big doesnt mean that u can take a punch. so thats a very bad comparision if i can say so my self.

Imira
12-02-2005, 04:07 PM
Hi Imira, nice points, however, I think that most of the guys that Louis koed weren't by one ultra powerful punch like Tua vs Ruiz, Lewis Rahman II, etc.,

His fights with Braddock and Sims come to me off the top of my head. One right hand by Louis put him away. Before that fight, Braddock had never been KO'd. Not even by Max Baer. One right hand ended his fight with Eddie Sims. Before that fight, Sims had never been KO'd.

Lewis v Rahman II was a one-two combination. Tua v Ruiz was a crossfire of lefts and rights. Besides, whether it's one punch or a barrage of punches, 54 KOs in 71 total fights isn't something to sneeze at.

with exceptions, like Carnera, but Carnera didn't have a good chin.

Only Max Baer and Joe Louis ever KO'd him when he was in his prime. So, I'd have to say that you've made an unfair observation.

Imira
12-02-2005, 04:12 PM
just because your big doesnt mean that u can take a punch. so thats a very bad comparision if i can say so my self.

I'll reiterate for you: Buddy Baer and Max Baer had never been off their feet before the Louis fight. Carnera had only been KO'd by Max Baer before he fought Louis and it took Baer 11 rounds while Joe turned the trick in 6.

These guys weren't just big, but they could also take a punch. It took someone with the power of Louis to put them away.

This is getting confusing now. :confused: First, Louis doesn't hit hard enough to damage larger heavyweights. I point out the numerous occasions where he has done just that and now I get this. "Just because your big doesn't mean you can take a punch?" :eek:

Which is it?

Kid Achilles
12-02-2005, 04:13 PM
Max and Buddy had tremendous chins, especially Max. That Louis could hurt them so easily is all you need to know about his offensive skill and power. He was a terror in there. If you showed any weakness or flaw in your defense, he would demolish you.

Imira
12-02-2005, 04:17 PM
Max and Buddy had tremendous chins, especially Max. That Louis could hurt them so easily is all you need to know about his offensive skill and power. He was a terror in there. If you showed any weakness or flaw in your defense, he would demolish you.

Exactly. Max took some tremendous shots from Tony Galento and shook them off as though Tony was tapping him on the shoulder. Primo Carnera barely even moved Baer with his right hands. Louis KO'd him in 4 rounds.

rge
12-02-2005, 04:29 PM
Lewis v Rahman II was a one-two combination. Tua v Ruiz was a crossfire of lefts and rights. Besides, whether it's one punch or a barrage of punches, 54 KOs in 71 total fights isn't something to sneeze at.

Well, the Tua fight was very short (19 sec.), I think that the left hook at the end was the punch.

The Lewis-Rahman fight I agree about the combination, but the right was the most powerful, and it's said it's one of the most powerful right hands in history.

Verstyle
12-02-2005, 04:29 PM
I'll reiterate for you: Buddy Baer and Max Baer had never been off their feet before the Louis fight. Carnera had only been KO'd by Max Baer before he fought Louis and it took Baer 11 rounds while Joe turned the trick in 6.

These guys weren't just big, but they could also take a punch. It took someone with the power of Louis to put them away.

This is getting confusing now. :confused: First, Louis doesn't hit hard enough to damage larger heavyweights. I point out the numerous occasions where he has done just that and now I get this. "Just because your big doesn't mean you can take a punch?" :eek:

Which is it?

every1 knows louis can hit but compared to these heavy weights as foreman and like tyson fuuuuuuuuck nooooooooo!!!!!

Dempsey 1919
12-02-2005, 04:34 PM
every1 knows louis can hit but compared to these heavy weights as foreman and like tyson fuuuuuuuuck nooooooooo!!!!!

oh, your back, like my user name?

Imira
12-02-2005, 04:36 PM
Well, the Tua fight was very short (19 sec.), I think that the left hook at the end was the punch.

With Tua v Ruiz, you're confusing one-punch with a shot at the end of a combination.

The Lewis-Rahman fight I agree about the combination, but the right was the most powerful, and it's said it's one of the most powerful right hands in history.

Who said that?

Well, I can say that Louis also had one of the most powerful right hands in history as well. ;)

Imira
12-02-2005, 04:37 PM

That's your opinion, and you're welcome to it.

rge
12-02-2005, 04:51 PM
With Tua v Ruiz, you're confusing one-punch with a shot at the end of a combination.

I'll look at it again, you may be right, but the most impressive punch is that one at the end.

Who said that?

Well, I can say that Louis also had one of the most powerful right hands in history as well. ;)

I read it some weeks ago, and today I read again another article that was written by Monte Cox and has comments from E. Stewart.

Imira
12-02-2005, 05:14 PM
I'll look at it again, you may be right, but the most impressive punch is that one at the end.

I think the most impressive one is the left that sent Ruiz to the ropes.

I read it some weeks ago, and today I read again another article that was written by Monte Cox and has comments from E. Stewart.

Fair enough. I've spoken to Monte Cox and I really respect his opinions. All I'm really saying is that, going by what I've seen and his ring record, Joe Louis is easily one of the hardest punchers in heavyweight history, while others here are discounting him simply because he was "too small".

whdempsey
12-02-2005, 05:24 PM
You're so ****in ignorant. I don't even have to justify this statement, you've done it yourself.

whdempsey
12-02-2005, 05:28 PM
I suppose you mean Joe Louis.

You are the ignorant. Dempsey is a medium size cruiseweight today, and Louis is a small heavyweight, no way they hit like Foreman or Tua.
Oh my God! A typo! You have certainly proven yourself more knowledgeable by pointing out a typo! You must be a motha****in genius, mustn't you!?

How in the world can you say that two of the all-time great hitters, who knocked out men 40 and 50 pounds heavier than they were, can't hit like more contemporary fighters? It seems like your argument has everything to do with era, and not punching power. And I disagree. I sincerely believe that I am not "the ignorant."

whdempsey
12-02-2005, 05:30 PM
Oh my God! A typo! You have certainly proven yourself more knowledgeable by pointing out a typo! You must be a motha****in genius, mustn't you!?

How in the world can you say that two of the all-time great hitters, who knocked out men 40 and 50 pounds heavier than they were, can't hit like more contemporary fighters? It seems like your argument has everything to do with era, and not punching power. And I disagree. I sincerely believe that I am not "the ignorant."
Actually, it seems like Imira is all over this. I guess I don't have to continue arguing.

rge
12-02-2005, 07:43 PM

Man, I only asked you a question, no need to get angry! ;)

I'd like to discuss that, in peace. We can have different ideas and not necessarily one ignorant. My idea is that the guys they koed weren't built like Rahman (235lb muscle+bone), Lewis (same), for example, Willard of Dempsey fight wasn't all muscle+bone, because, in part, other training methods were used these times, and in Willard example, he was getting older.
So they ko guys big, but differently built. Size affects on taking a punch: if Ricky Hatton balloons up to 187lb, he won't take the same punch as Dempsey, who is naturally bigger.
Census shows that people is getting bigger in developed countries: in Holland shows that currently average height is 6'1" for men (same as Dempsey), and 30 years ago it was 5'7".
Before 1905 a 160+lb guy were heavyweight, William Joppy enters the ring at that weight, do you think he can take a Lewis punch, or that he can beat Lewis? eras changed.

Also, the gloves were different.

rge
12-02-2005, 08:03 PM
Only Max Baer and Joe Louis ever KO'd him when he was in his prime. So, I'd have to say that you've made an unfair observation.

It's fair.

Oscar de la Hoya was the first (maybe the only) to kd Hector Camacho at welterweight, but he hasn't the power of, say, Trinidad, at that category. What happened is that Oscar made a precise, and at the right moment, 45 punch. Same for Carnera being ko by Louis, note that Louis is a fine puncher, with high precision and timing.

Also, Carnera, before facing Louis boxed in maybe the worst era of heavyweights, the beginning of 1930 decade was bad.

Kid Achilles
12-02-2005, 08:18 PM
You guys are obsessing about muscle mass too much and neglecting skeletal size. Skeletal size and bone structure is the reason lightweights cannot put on a few pounds and beat the crap out of the welterweights, or the middleweights the light heavyweights etc. It is not hard to put on muscle mass in this day and age. If you are dedicated, gaining 30 or more pounds of muscle without the use of steroids is very possible.

However, muscle mass does not allow you to punch much harder and has very little effect on your ability to take a punch. Look at the 350 lb Bob Sapp. If muscle mass really helps a man absorb a punch than explain to me why he is routinely knocked out or at least hurt by men half his size? His neck and trap muscles would make Mike Tyson envious, and yet it doesn't help his chin at all.

So listen to me, Joe Louis was a heavyweight. He weighed 195-200 in most of his fights because that's what he trained down to, but in spite of that he was more than competitive with the 220+ lb heavyweights he fought. If Rahman fought in that era he'd weigh around 200 lbs as well, and would have much better stamina and almost as much power.

In fact, the only thing the modern Rahman has against a 200 lb version of himself is strength in the clinches and a bit of punching power. This is a significant advantage but the loss of stamina and handspeed he recies for beingthat size completely nullifies it.

I would absolutely put my money on a 205 pound Hasim Rahman who never picked up a weight over a bloated 240 lb meathead who benchpresses 500 pounds (in a boxing match I mean, not in a streetfight where he can grab and hit). His jab would be snappier, his footwork much smoother (joints such as the knees never get bigger or stronger, they just become more stressed with more weight) and overall he would be a more lethal opponent.

Bigger is better in boxing, but only if it's natural size. Overloading your frame with muscle mass does not make you a better boxer. Look at Muhammad Ali, who only did calisthenics and had a strong athletic body, one of the best bodies in heavyweight history in my opinion. Are you telling me Ali would have been better at 240+ lbs and 18" biceps? Not a chance.

If more fighters stuck to their natural weights, the sport would be better off.

rge
12-02-2005, 08:30 PM
Kid Achilles, thanks for your reply, in post 104 I considered bone, I agree with you on that. I agree that (generally, not always) bigger is better, if naturally, I commented about it before too.

We are talking about punching power, so all what you said about Ali at 240, Rahman at 240, etc., I don't comment, I agree with most though.

About Rahman would have been 200 instead of 235 in Louis era, I didn't consider it, it depends on your fantasy matchup, I consider the guys like we knew them, you seem to adjust weight.

phallus
12-02-2005, 08:35 PM
You guys are obsessing about muscle mass too much and neglecting skeletal size. Skeletal size and bone structure is the reason lightweights cannot put on a few pounds and beat the crap out of the welterweights, or the middleweights the light heavyweights etc. It is not hard to put on muscle mass in this day and age. If you are dedicated, gaining 30 or more pounds of muscle without the use of steroids is very possible.

However, muscle mass does not allow you to punch much harder and has very little effect on your ability to take a punch. Look at the 350 lb Bob Sapp. If muscle mass really helps a man absorb a punch than explain to me why he is routinely knocked out or at least hurt by men half his size? His neck and trap muscles would make Mike Tyson envious, and yet it doesn't help his chin at all.

So listen to me, Joe Louis was a heavyweight. He weighed 195-200 in most of his fights because that's what he trained down to, but in spite of that he was more than competitive with the 220+ lb heavyweights he fought. If Rahman fought in that era he'd weigh around 200 lbs as well, and would have much better stamina and almost as much power.

In fact, the only thing the modern Rahman has against a 200 lb version of himself is strength in the clinches and a bit of punching power. This is a significant advantage but the loss of stamina and handspeed he recies for beingthat size completely nullifies it.

I would absolutely put my money on a 205 pound Hasim Rahman who never picked up a weight over a bloated 240 lb meathead who benchpresses 500 pounds (in a boxing match I mean, not in a streetfight where he can grab and hit). His jab would be snappier, his footwork much smoother (joints such as the knees never get bigger or stronger, they just become more stressed with more weight) and overall he would be a more lethal opponent.

Bigger is better in boxing, but only if it's natural size. Overloading your frame with muscle mass does not make you a better boxer. Look at Muhammad Ali, who only did calisthenics and had a strong athletic body, one of the best bodies in heavyweight history in my opinion. Are you telling me Ali would have been better at 240+ lbs and 18" biceps? Not a chance.

If more fighters stuck to their natural weights, the sport would be better off.

great post, as always kid

Mr. Violence
12-03-2005, 12:34 PM
George Foreman had the strongest one punch power of all time

bor2shan
12-03-2005, 02:25 PM
Rocky marciano could shatter a chin like no one else could. He definitely got my vote. I have noticed that the Rock was much more of a brawler than a boxer though.

Imira
12-06-2005, 10:07 AM
It's fair.

Oscar de la Hoya was the first (maybe the only) to kd Hector Camacho at welterweight, but he hasn't the power of, say, Trinidad, at that category. What happened is that Oscar made a precise, and at the right moment, 45 punch. Same for Carnera being ko by Louis, note that Louis is a fine puncher, with high precision and timing.

Also, Carnera, before facing Louis boxed in maybe the worst era of heavyweights, the beginning of 1930 decade was bad.

No, it's not. Your example of DLH and Camacho is an example of getting caught with a good shot, which still doesn't prove that Carnera didn't have much of a chin. Louis' KO of him is different. Carnera went to the canvas due to Louis' power.

My idea is that the guys they koed weren't built like Rahman (235lb muscle+bone), Lewis (same), for example, Willard of Dempsey fight wasn't all muscle+bone, because, in part, other training methods were used these times, and in Willard example, he was getting older.

Now you seem to be changing your argument. There is no such thing as 6'6" 250 in 1937 and 6'6" 250 in 2005. There is no difference.

As far as their body structure, you need to see Buddy Baer, Primo Carnera and Abe Simon if you want to know how solidly these guys were built. On the films, you can see the muscles in their backs. They were definitely much more solid than Rahman.

The fact remains that Louis knocked out larger fighters than most of today's fighters have even been defeated by.

Dempsey 1919
12-06-2005, 04:24 PM
No, it's not. Your example of DLH and Camacho is an example of getting caught with a good shot, which still doesn't prove that Carnera didn't have much of a chin. Louis' KO of him is different. Carnera went to the canvas due to Louis' power.

Now you seem to be changing your argument. There is no such thing as 6'6" 250 in 1937 and 6'6" 250 in 2005. There is no difference.

As far as their body structure, you need to see Buddy Baer, Primo Carnera and Abe Simon if you want to know how solidly these guys were built. On the films, you can see the muscles in their backs. They were definitely much more solid than Rahman.

The fact remains that Louis knocked out larger fighters than most of today's fighters have even been defeated by.

yeah, you're probably right. at least they were a natural 250lbs.

double O
12-08-2005, 08:27 PM
Ernie Shavers.

Holmes said when he fought Tyson that he was a snappy puncher, when he got hit by shavers he thought for a whole minute that all the press were taking photo's of him with very bright flashlights & they were everywhere!

Imira
12-09-2005, 01:34 PM
Ernie Shavers.

Holmes said when he fought Tyson that he was a snappy puncher, when he got hit by shavers he thought for a whole minute that all the press were taking photo's of him with very bright flashlights & they were everywhere!

Did you see how he crumbled when he went down and wobbled around the ring after he got back up? :eek:

Southpaw Stinger
12-11-2005, 06:11 PM
Got to give it to Big George Foreman!

MickyHatton
12-12-2005, 04:51 AM
I actually know Ernie Shavers he works a doorman/head of security in my home town of Liverpool, he maintains that he hit the hardest!

He also says that the only Heavyweights who had the similar thudding power were Foreman, Lewis and Bruno.

Dempsey 1919
12-12-2005, 03:41 PM
I actually know Ernie Shavers he works a doorman/head of security in my home town of Liverpool, he maintains that he hit the hardest!

He also says that the only Heavyweights who had the similar thudding power were Foreman, Lewis and Bruno.

i believe liston hit harder than lewis and bruno.

Imira
12-12-2005, 06:54 PM
i believe liston hit harder than lewis and bruno.

Bruno...I still can't get over the fact that he's even on this list. Who has he knocked out? Aside from Carl "The Truth Is I Have No Chin" Williams?

MickyHatton
12-14-2005, 06:30 AM
Bruno...I still can't get over the fact that he's even on this list. Who has he knocked out? Aside from Carl "The Truth Is I Have No Chin" Williams?

38 out of his 40 wins were by KO!

He also knocked out James 'Quick' Tillis and former WBA Champion Gerry Coetzee.

I'm not saying that he was a great fighter but he had awesome power, we are talking one punch knock outs.

Dont forget his loses were against good or great opponents, James Bonecrusher Smith, Tim Witherspoon, Lennox Lewis and Mike Tyson and he was a World Champion himself!

Imira
12-14-2005, 12:20 PM
38 out of his 40 wins were by KO!

He also knocked James 'Quick' Tillis and former WBA Champion Gerry Coetzee.

I'm not saying that he was a great fighter but he had awesome power, we are talking one punch knock outs.

Dont forget his loses were aginst good or great opponents, James Bonecrusher Smith, Tim Witherspoon, Lennox Lewis and Mike Tyson and he was a World Champion himself!

Cool. I didn't know that. Probably because I don't care about Bruno. Thanks for the info. :biggthump

kid dynamite
12-14-2005, 10:21 PM
let's add this immortal to the bunch > bob fitzsimmons..he was one of the most devastating fighters and sharpest punchers of all time. and dig this, he weighed no more than 160 at his peak. also consider jim jeffries to the mix...jeff had tremendous physical toughness and endurance, he was a giant who could hardly be hurt in his prime. he fought all those tough contenders in his day: joe choynski, peter jackson, tom sharkey, fitz, etc...just a few here to think about...but my overall pick would be 'earnie shavers..

Skydog
12-14-2005, 10:39 PM
How in the hell is Tyson in second place? I'm really sick of ignorant, stupid, dumbass people that know nothing about boxing that, for some reason, think he was the hardest hitter of all-time.

Dempsey 1919
12-15-2005, 01:35 AM
How in the hell is Tyson in second place? I'm really sick of ignorant, stupid, dumbass people that know nothing about boxing that, for some reason, think he was the hardest hitter of all-time.

out of all the people on that list he hit the second hardest.

Skydog
12-15-2005, 06:49 PM
Tua and Marciano both hit harder than Tyson. As for Frazier, I'll say it's a toss-up between him and Tyson.

Dempsey 1919
12-15-2005, 07:05 PM
Tua and Marciano both hit harder than Tyson. As for Frazier, I'll say it's a toss-up between him and Tyson.

excuse me, marciano? a guy that struggled to ko a middlweight in moore?

Skydog
12-15-2005, 07:14 PM
Nevertheless, he did KO Moore. That was also the last fight of Rocky's career.

That's the same as saying Tyson struggled to KO McBride.

Dempsey 1919
12-15-2005, 07:22 PM
Nevertheless, he did KO Moore. That was also the last fight of Rocky's career.

That's the same as saying Tyson struggled to KO McBride.

yeah, but tyson was 39, and marciano was 32, plus moore was 180 something while mcbride was like 270 something!

Skydog
12-15-2005, 07:31 PM
True, but was McBride even close to being as good as a fighter of Moore's level?

Dempsey 1919
12-15-2005, 07:37 PM
True, but was McBride even close to being as good as a fighter of Moore's level?

but that wasn't prime tyson. however that probably still was prime marciano.

Brassangel
12-16-2005, 12:52 AM
George Foreman, with the leverage he had in his long arms, probably had the hardest punch, per say, of any fighter in history.

Mike Tyson not only hit hard, but he hit with either hand, at great speed.

Rocky Marciano had a great right hand for his weight, textbook in every sense of the term; Joe Frazier had the most dramatic left hook in any era; niether of these two guys were constantly powerful in the purest sense, probably a 9 out of 10.

One guy that was completely overlooked on this list was Sonny Liston. People were deathly afraid of him. Not because he was explosive like Tyson, but because he just plain hurt people.

Earnie Shavers was a powerful puncher as well, often overlooked given the era he fought in; as well as the fact that he fluctuated up and down in consistency.

I wouldn't dare put Jack Dempsey on this list after it was revealed (while rather quietly), that he coated his hand wraps in plaster of paris.

I'd probably go like this:

1. George Foreman
2. Sonny Liston(tied)
Mike Tyson (tied)
4. Everyone else is too close to tell

jabsRstiff
12-16-2005, 10:28 AM
Earnie Shavers.....

He was just about as heavy-fisted as was Foreman (well, fairly close)....but was a more explosive puncher than George. He was more likely to take you out with a single blow than was Foreman.
But, he was not as strong a fighter, or as good a fighter as George. Not as good a fighter, but a bigger, harder puncher than George.

Joe Louis..is the best puncher of all time.
Those who truly understand boxing will understand the difference between Shavers & Louis.

Gavilan1
12-17-2005, 11:19 PM
Earnie Shavers.....

He was just about as heavy-fisted as was Foreman (well, fairly close)....but was a more explosive puncher than George. He was more likely to take you out with a single blow than was Foreman.
But, he was not as strong a fighter, or as good a fighter as George. Not as good a fighter, but a bigger, harder puncher than George.

Those who truly understand boxing will understand the difference between Shavers & Louis.

Good answer.

I tend to agree with all of it, BUT would add Dempsey as one of the best punchers of all time. Louis and Dempsey both took out much bigger men, and really laid them out. These guys were athletic exceptions of the century.

Foreman, Shavers, and Marciano were strong punchers, but as we all know speed is power. Rocky, Ernie, and Big George were all punishing powers, but these guys didn't have the leg equilibrium, speed and hip movement.

You are forgetting one guy though...Buddy Baer.

MickyHatton
12-18-2005, 05:50 AM
Earnie Shavers.....

I fully agree but the question is the strongest puncher of all time and for me it has to be Shavers.

Names like Dempsey, Marciano, Louis for me are not in the same league simply becuase they are by todays standards Light heavys or Cruisers, however the same fighters were awesome punchers but as you mentioned it was more about the quality, timing and speed of the shots then raw power and strength.

Foreman, Shavers and even Bruno hit with raw thudding power that at times looked clumsy but it worked.

Tyson I think had a mixture of the two, lightening hand and foot speed allied with raw power, hence he was devestating in his prime!

JDub79
12-18-2005, 05:53 AM
hey, lennox had one punch knock out power

Da Iceman
12-18-2005, 07:59 PM
Good answer.

I tend to agree with all of it, BUT would add Dempsey as one of the best punchers of all time. Louis and Dempsey both took out much bigger men, and really laid them out. These guys were athletic exceptions of the century.

Foreman, Shavers, and Marciano were strong punchers, but as we all know speed is power. Rocky, Ernie, and Big George were all punishing powers, but these guys didn't have the leg equilibrium, speed and hip movement.

You are forgetting one guy though...Buddy Baer.
you must of never seen rocky fight he put his whole body into his punches

Skydog
12-18-2005, 08:18 PM
Yea, that's what he was known for. For putting his entire body weight into his punches. If you listen to all the commentators in all of his fights, they all say that one of his best strenghts is putting so much power behind his punches and not losing energy from it.

Reezy
12-19-2005, 11:49 AM
mike tyson

Gavilan1
12-19-2005, 05:46 PM
you must of never seen rocky fight he put his whole body into his punches

Who the hell are you to talk to me?

Brassangel
12-20-2005, 02:50 PM
Earnie Shavers...yeah, he had knockout power. He also had a jaw like Glass Joe. Did anyone see the Tex Cobb fight? Nonetheless, for pure punching power, he could pack a whallop.

Textbook Swing: Marciano
Frightening: Liston
Most Force (lbs.): Foreman
Explosiveness: Tyson
Signature Punch: Frazier's Left Hook

I think it's safe to say that there are variable categories to the power category itself. :boxing:

Skydog
12-20-2005, 03:21 PM
Dempsey's gotta be mentioned under explosiveness. The first knockdown of Willard is just the most explosive knockdown I've ever seen. Those 4 hooks just explode out of nowhere.

Then again, Tyson's right hook on Johnson exploded with the force of a volcano, as well.

I could also Louis replacing Marciano on textbook swing.

Brassangel
12-21-2005, 02:36 PM
I picked Marciano for the textbook swing because his finished pose after a straight right hand looked like something the sport could use as a mascot. Similar to the way the NBA used a model of Jerry West to mark it's symbol. It was either him or Pistol Pete...oh well, that's why this is a boxing forum.

fistlegend
12-22-2005, 05:35 AM
george foreman, the man had incredible power, his power was impeccable

jabsRstiff
12-22-2005, 10:43 AM
Why has Tyson's early career KO of John Whatever Johnson gotten so much credit in this forum ?

BIG DEAL !

Johnson was a NOBODY....a nobody who Tyson outweighed by double digits !

Basically....Tyson starched a CRUISERWEIGHT BUM.

Yeah, it was impressive to see, but not impressive upon review.

Southpaw Stinger
12-22-2005, 10:59 AM
Thanks for giving Sonny Liston a mention. He was powerful and feared. I think your right putting Foreman first and Liston second. Good list!

Brassangel
12-22-2005, 02:53 PM
Micheal Jack Johnson, by the way.

I think it was the look on the poor guy's face after he took a shot to the midsection and went down. When the referee was questioning him as to whether or not he wanted to continue, he very reluctantly looked at Tyson with glossy eyes and shook his head up and down. His face was screaming, "Aw crap! I have to put up with punches like that all night?!" The impressive part of the knockout comes when Tyson hits him so fast that you can't even see it until they did the slow motion recap. His speed was often overlooked; it still is even when looking back on it.

Back to the main venue, I would consider the term "strongest" to include more than just power. There would be explosiveness, purity, and knockdown/knockout frequency. I list them accordingly (and I'm known to change from time to time), pound for pound as a heavyweight:

1. George Foreman
2. Charles "Sonny" Liston
3. Mike Tyson

***NOTE*** These first three could hit with either hand in any form and it could take a fighter down. The following are notables and specifics.

4. Joe Frazier's left
5. Rocky Marciano's right
6. Earnie Shavers when he wasn't down
7. Joe Louis when he felt like it
8. Jack Dempsey, without cheating
9. Tua, even though I never liked him
10. Evander Holyfield's head

Gavilan1
12-22-2005, 03:14 PM
Why has Tyson's early career KO of John Whatever Johnson gotten so much credit in this forum ?

BIG DEAL !

Johnson was a NOBODY....a nobody who Tyson outweighed by double digits !

Basically....Tyson starched a CRUISERWEIGHT BUM.

Yeah, it was impressive to see, but not impressive upon review.

Mike Tyson was a nobody.

Brassangel
12-23-2005, 12:43 PM
Mike Tyson was a nobody, except...

-he drew more fans to the sport than anyone in it's history.
-his fights drew more viewers than anyone else's to date
-even after prison he was still a big draw, because he was either going to knock his opponent out, or do something absolutely crazy
-he has one of the most dramatic stories in sports history
-he was arguably the most exciting fighter to watch
-he broke the consecutive knockout record held by Marciano
-when fighters had become far more athletic in the 80's than they had ever been before, and their training regimes were more grueling and technical than ever, he emerged on top (regardless of the lack of names)
-oh yeah, he was the youngest heavyweight champion ever...

Mike Tyson? Who was he?

jabsRstiff
12-23-2005, 12:56 PM
Mike Tyson was a nobody, except...

-he drew more fans to the sport than anyone in it's history.
-his fights drew more viewers than anyone else's to date
-even after prison he was still a big draw, because he was either going to knock his opponent out, or do something absolutely crazy
-he has one of the most dramatic stories in sports history
-he was arguably the most exciting fighter to watch
-he broke the consecutive knockout record held by Marciano
-when fighters had become far more athletic in the 80's than they had ever been before, and their training regimes were more grueling and technical than ever, he emerged on top (regardless of the lack of names)
-oh yeah, he was the youngest heavyweight champion ever...

Mike Tyson? Who was he?

Which consecutive KO record was that ?

gameth
12-23-2005, 11:34 PM
Shavers. Come on with the Tyson stuff. Tommy Morrison hit harder than Tyson. Not that Morrison was better. He just killed guys with his left hook to the body. Thats a hard hitter.

Da Iceman
12-23-2005, 11:41 PM
whoever made this thread is dumb. jack johnson was a light hitter like ali, why the hell is he up there, joe frazier definetly didnt hit harder then foreman. shavers and maybe ron lyle deserve honorable mentions, hell you could even put dempsey up there before johnson

frankenfrank
02-04-2010, 01:44 PM

quite good options you gave there except johnson.
he could not stop neither a green young small sam langford nor a small young peter jackson and was stopped himself by fitzsimmons.
i voted tua , and i want to remind everyone that whenever he could not KO an opponent it was not because his power did not suffice but rather because his reach did not suffice. foreman had much less of that trouble.

mickey malone
02-04-2010, 01:59 PM
quite good options you gave there except johnson.
he could not stop neither a green young small sam langford nor a small young peter jackson and was stopped himself by fitzsimmons.
i voted tua , and i want to remind everyone that whenever he could not KO an opponent it was not because his power did not suffice but rather because his reach did not suffice. foreman had much less of that trouble.
Lol, you're answering someone who last posted in 2005!

But, strongest? I'll go with Foreman, then Liston and Bruno in that order..

surfengland
03-04-2010, 01:07 PM
without doubt Mike Tyson, although in saying that i think Marciano comes close.

Jim Jeffries
03-04-2010, 01:13 PM
Sam Peter, but no Earnie Shavers?:WTF??:

her0
03-04-2010, 02:29 PM
If we're talking about pure strength, I'm gonna have to go with Foreman.