View Full Version : Weight Workout?

XionComrade
05-13-2005, 02:58 PM
What would be a good powerlifting workout routine to help me develope more power in the punching areas?

ebaum
05-13-2005, 03:41 PM
but make sure to work your legs bc that is where a large amount of punching power comes from, so its esential to increasing punching power

XionComrade
05-13-2005, 04:30 PM
Indeed, legs are far more important than any form of upper body strength, you dont even have to move your arms if you know how to use your legs!!!

Any Routines you guys can suggest? Plz!!!

Pugnacious_Z
05-14-2005, 02:13 AM
i dont get all these people sayin most punching power cums from legs, dats bull****, theres a limit to wat ur legs can do. for gods sake.

Floydmayweather
05-14-2005, 02:36 AM
Alot of power comes from your legs. Look at big punches like Holyfield, Bowe, and Tyson, and other big heavys. Hell even Corrales and Castillo have big legs for there size. Its also about upper body strength, technique, speed, and lots of other things.

Pugnacious_Z
05-14-2005, 07:37 AM
just so u know holyfield has tiny legs compared to his body. and it depends, fighters who fight on crouch get poiwer from legs, fighters like lewis dont get much frm legs

XionComrade
05-14-2005, 10:08 AM
Lewis rarely hit someone as hard as he could either, he just jabbed and hooked to death...

Mike Tyson used his legs 100%, even George Foreman used them somewhat!

pug1986
05-14-2005, 01:08 PM
well yeah power is from the legs and hip rotational strength but the strong upper body is what transfers that power to the fists, so you can't really neglect any one thing.

buff_mike10
05-15-2005, 01:35 AM
Tysons legs were 28" and he used them in punching, but he could bench press 500 pounds. It takes strength in your whole body

toehead
05-15-2005, 05:28 AM
Alot of power comes from your legs. Look at big punches like Holyfield, Bowe, and Tyson, and other big heavys. Hell even Corrales and Castillo have big legs for there size. Its also about upper body strength, technique, speed, and lots of other things.

Tommy Hearns,Ray Robinson,Pipino Cuevas,Bob Foster,Matthew Saad Muhammed,Jullian Jackson,John Mugabi- etc ALL had tooth pick legs, yet were pound for pound the hardest punchers EVER even george Foremans legs are small in comparison to his torso! muscle mass has little to do with punching power, most people on this board seem to believe the bigger or more defined their muscle's are the harder they will hit and thats just not the case...

Pugnacious_Z
05-15-2005, 07:38 AM
Toehead, i agree with u 100%. punching is like everything else, sum ppl are born with a punch, sum not. hard punches cum in different sizes, tall and lanky, short and stocky.every1 can imrpove there punch power by perfecting their technique and pratice but sum just have a harder punch and theyll keep imrpoving. just for an example, i have a guy in my gym whos islander, hes around 6ft 1 and a solid 220 pounds and hes 17yrs old. wen i saw him hit the bag, his power wud be compared to 160 pound guy. every1's different.

pug1986
05-15-2005, 10:20 AM
well force equals mass times velocity squared, so a thinner fighter is probly capable of producing more speed which increases his power alot more than a larger man can with his big muscles. that explains the thinner guys punching power

XionComrade
05-16-2005, 09:17 PM
Tommy Hearns,Ray Robinson,Pipino Cuevas,Bob Foster,Matthew Saad Muhammed,Jullian Jackson,John Mugabi- etc ALL had tooth pick legs, yet were pound for pound the hardest punchers EVER even george Foremans legs are small in comparison to his torso! muscle mass has little to do with punching power, most people on this board seem to believe the bigger or more defined their muscle's are the harder they will hit and thats just not the case...

So true, just look at how big bodybuilders are compared to the PowerLifters, many times bigger, but not even a fraction as powerful!!!

WHAT EXCERSISES TO YOU GUYS SUGGEST? MAYBEE BENCHPRESS, SQUATS, ANDYTHING ELSE TO DO?????!!!!

Machiavelli
05-17-2005, 10:29 AM
Pylometrics are supposed to be the best for increasing power.

I'm not too sure about doing weights.

Tyson and many other powerful boxers, Pacquiao as well, don't use weights.

I think that its partly technique, partly gentics, partly conditioning and partly how you train.

With regards the last one I have found that if I work the bag and intentionally try to deliver as powerful punches as possible, or as fast as possible, the power or speed gradually increases.

Training must be sport specific. If you want power, work hard in the gym to dig with each punch, whether on mits, shadowboxing, on bags or sparring. The harder you work at it the greater your stamina to throw big punches and the greater the pop in your punch.

spinksjinx
05-17-2005, 10:34 AM
Great power punching starts at the base of your body, from the placement of your feet to how your legs are positioned and how you bend your torso. You can still throw a punch with horrible technique but to really get great power off of your shots is something beautiful and takes skill.

A great routine for boosting your power is core exercises such as these

Back Squat
Deadlift
Bench press
Barbell rows
Standing press

Also calisthenics help a lot and even doing push ups/pull ups/squats can do a tremendous help as well.

spinksjinx
05-17-2005, 10:37 AM
Pylometrics are supposed to be the best for increasing power.

I'm not too sure about doing weights.

Tyson and many other powerful boxers, Pacquiao as well, don't use weights.

I think that its partly technique, partly gentics, partly conditioning and partly how you train.

With regards the last one I have found that if I work the bag and intentionally try to deliver as powerful punches as possible, or as fast as possible, the power or speed gradually increases.

Training must be sport specific. If you want power, work hard in the gym to dig with each punch, whether on mits, shadowboxing, on bags or sparring. The harder you work at it the greater your stamina to throw big punches and the greater the pop in your punch.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! :D

Tyson doesnt lift weights? hahahaahhaa

Sorry.

PunchDrunk
05-18-2005, 02:35 AM
And another thing: Saying that weights are bad because "Sugar Ray Robinson (or whoever) didn't use weights, and he was great" is a faulty argument. There's no way that proves anything. He COULD have been great because he didn't use weights, or he COULD have been great IN SPITE of not using weights. That kind of argument is NOT scientific.

elveiel
05-18-2005, 04:30 AM
Boxers should always be careful when lifting weights, i do them but i'm strict on how many.

Spinks has give some good ideas on what lifts to do, so i wont bother with that.

When i started lifting weights for boxing i'd lift weights that are near the max i could lift on a set of 12, i've never increased the weight but increase the reps i do. at the moment i'm lifting for 10mins(30seconds lifting & 30 seconds break continued for the full 10mins)

Because i'm not increasing the weight my lifts have become very explosive and fast, i'd say i'm faster now than when i didnt do weights and because i've done these weights my power has improved.

The only problem is it takes me about 5 minutes extra to warm up, but once i'm warmed up i only effects me in a postitive way.

toehead
05-18-2005, 06:09 AM
And another thing: Saying that weights are bad because "Sugar Ray Robinson (or whoever) didn't use weights, and he was great" is a faulty argument. There's no way that proves anything. He COULD have been great because he didn't use weights, or he COULD have been great IN SPITE of not using weights. That kind of argument is NOT scientific.

ummm the statement I was making was that weight training will not make you a GREAT PUNCHER. you either have it or you don't, punchers are born not made in fact a few of the fighters I made mention of did use weights in some form as part of their training (Saad Muhammed, Jackson,& Hearns later on in his career)but thats not what made them knockout punchers.

PunchDrunk
05-18-2005, 06:13 AM
It wasn't directed towards you specifically. It was a general statement.

Machiavelli
05-18-2005, 07:02 AM
As far as I'm aware in his early career Tyson trained without weights. Thats what Ive been told.

Anyways I tend to use my body weight and weight exercises to strengthen my sholders so that the gloves and arms feel lighter so my hand speed is quicker.

XionComrade
05-18-2005, 09:14 PM
What do you think about 2-4 reps with maximum weights?

Normally when I workout, if I do 12 reps with dumbell presses on a good day I may end with 40lbs, but if I do 2-4 reps it can be 60 lbs per hand and I get much more out of workouts like this in terms of power and bulk...It also helps to conserve energy for the rest of the workout, so I can give the whole thing 100%.

Any Thoughts?

spinksjinx
05-18-2005, 09:42 PM
Max weight is dangerou son a consistant basis, very prone to injuries that way. Perhaps every 4-6 weeks wouldnt be a bad idea.

PunchDrunk
05-19-2005, 01:26 AM
What do you think about 2-4 reps with maximum weights?

Normally when I workout, if I do 12 reps with dumbell presses on a good day I may end with 40lbs, but if I do 2-4 reps it can be 60 lbs per hand and I get much more out of workouts like this in terms of power and bulk...It also helps to conserve energy for the rest of the workout, so I can give the whole thing 100%.

Any Thoughts?

I think it's great. It really shouldn't give you that much bulk, if you're smart about it, but it'll give you more strength and through that, the possibility to develop more power. You really need to find someone who really knows how to do this stuff to help you out in the gym, or you might get hurt.
Also, it is important when you do this type of workout in relation to when you'll be fighting.

XionComrade
05-19-2005, 02:50 PM
My Dad helps he and I don't fight now...

I am going to try to get a 70lbs punching bag...is that good?

spinksjinx
05-19-2005, 02:52 PM
It's decent, I have tried using 70lbs and I am only 115 and when I hit the bag it moves to much. I would go for something over 100.

buff_mike10
05-19-2005, 09:03 PM
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! :D

Tyson doesnt lift weights? hahahaahhaa

Sorry.
Yea, you just don't get 28" legs, a 20" neck without lifting weights. Tyson was no stanger to the weightroom, i don't care what he says

XionComrade
05-19-2005, 09:50 PM
Tyson wasn't a genetic fighter like George Foreman was, he wasn't born to be huge and powerful, just a normal person with his priorities straightened!

Does anyone have any good routines?

spinksjinx
05-19-2005, 10:02 PM
Whats your goal Xion? Everyone trains for something different, people have posted there routines all over the boards.

XionComrade
05-19-2005, 10:05 PM
Power with mobility, much like Tyson...I am a short person with long arms!

Hmmm Ill post my huge rotine tommorrow, it goes 8 weeks bodybuilding and 8 weeks powerlifting...The BB packs the meat ona nd the PL puts it to use, it really works!!!

Over my summer breaks Im going to whip myself into shape!

5:00Am Wakeup,Shower,Eatbreakfast...yadayada
6:00AM-8:00AM-Jumprope with sweater on
9:00AM-10:00AM-Odd ab Workout
11:00AM Rest
12:00PM-1:00PM Hit weights, Do Trap Excersizes after basic routine
3:00PM Through rest of day Work Heavybag for hour, Jog for hour, Rope for hour, 1000 Situps(Goal)
9:00PM Go to bed

On days I dont hit weights Ill just do more heavybag and abs