View Full Version : 16 good age for boxing?

Tony Blitz
05-12-2005, 10:36 PM
I've been a fan of the sport for quite some time, although I don't catch it on HBO since I don't have it, I watch the replays when I can and download a bunch of boxing matches. I'd really like to go into the sport but I was wondering, is 16 a decent enough age to start? Will I start becoming skilled when I'm in the "old age" for boxing and not have a good future in it? I don't want to start now (I'm 15) because I'd like to train on my own first and teach myself/be in good health before I go into serious boxing. Also I'm worried about stunting my growth with weight lifting now because I'm only 5'8 and a half and would like to be a decent height for middleweight/light heavyweight so I'd rather start the weight lifting at 16 when it wouldn't stunt. Thanks in advance.

spinksjinx
05-12-2005, 10:53 PM
It isnt really ever to late to start as long as you are determined but it can be a factor.

It really depends on what you want to make out of it and how far you will drive yourself.

I started when I was 19 getting myself and shape and I really started when I turned 20, I am 20 now but I am only doing for it personal satisfaction and dont plan on going further than amateur.

Tony Blitz
05-12-2005, 10:59 PM
I'd really like to take it further than amateur, it is something I'd really love to do.

spinksjinx
05-12-2005, 11:21 PM
Then start and learn the basics now, no time to stall.

Gattz187
05-12-2005, 11:23 PM
i learnd the basics in like a month in a half. All i need to do now is to lose weight. Good luck and dont give up. Iam your age too and have the same thought on boxing. Only sport i love

spinksjinx
05-12-2005, 11:29 PM
i learnd the basics in like a month in a half. All i need to do now is to lose weight. Good luck and dont give up. Iam your age too and have the same thought on boxing. Only sport i love

The good thing with boxing is that you can learn the basics and while learning the weight will come off.

Gattz187
05-12-2005, 11:34 PM
all i need to do is keep a steady pace. I spar with my brother for 5 three mintue rounds with 16 oz gloves. A work out it is. I have to say i learned a lot since i started. Taking a punch, Blocking, combonations. But the most improved thing is my jab

Tony Blitz
05-12-2005, 11:35 PM
I have the power and speed for boxing but I need the stamina and endurance first. I need to drop some pounds first then I'm going to go into it, thanks for the thoughts guys.

spinksjinx
05-12-2005, 11:47 PM
Gattz-Sparring is really good even if it is with your brother or anybody it calms your nerves and relaxes you when you go at it with other people as you are comfortable at coming forward and hitting other people. I know outside of the ring I am like man I dont want to hurt this guy he is cool we shoot the **** and hang out but when I step in I feel like an animal.

Also another thing I like about sparring is that when I am shadowboxing and working the bags I dont get much footwork in and if I spar I can work on my footwork. I am very light on my feet and like to bounce around and pop out my jab and jump and crouch in with body combinations and bounce back out and work on the outside. Sometimes though if I cant spar I will just bounce around and work on my movement.

Blitz-Sprints and plyometrics are great exercises to help you out also jogs with 30 second sprints every mile is great as well.

I wish I had better speed, I am a 112-118 when I have a fight and at age 20 at that weight I know I am slowing, which is why I know I am limited especially at my age and my weight. Most of the guys at my weight are fast.

dionysusolympus
05-13-2005, 11:38 AM
I think 16 is a good age to start boxing. I wish I had started boxing earlier, but other things were taking up my time. Anyhow, it's a good, hard physical activity and teaches you self-discipline and a whole lot of heart/will to pull through some of it.

pug1986
05-13-2005, 12:47 PM
well if I were you I'd just focus on getting in shape with bodyweight stuff and running. save the technique stuff for the gym cause you don't want to learn bad habits early.

Tony Blitz
05-13-2005, 04:24 PM
Well I have a breathing problem while striking and don't know what to do to fix it, I'm waiting to start boxing for them to teach me how. I always hold my breath while punching then it fatigues me very badly. I think that's pretty much my only bad habit, I practice what I see/hear in fights and in The Contender until it comes naturally without having to think about doing it:)

Rockin'
05-13-2005, 09:10 PM
16 is a good age to start boxing. You will encounter opponents that have been boxing since they were 10 or so and they will have plenty of fights and experience under their belts. But dont worry about that, just work hard and true and things will fall into place.

I began boxing when I was 14 and turned professional when I was 21. I found out early about the guys with all of the experience that had been boxing since they were very young. I lost the majority of those bouts but found that I could hang with them and throw eben though I would have like 6 fights and they would have had 80 or 100. It comes down to what is inside of you. If you truely have the fire burning inside of you then you will find the round enjoyable and exhilerating. Amatuer boxing is a great sport, but please dont think to far into the future about fighting the professionals. If you win national titles and enjoy GREAT success in the amatuers then you may want to consider turning professional. Otherwise, just forget about it and continue in your schooling. The schools will grind your mind into something spectacular, professional boxing is just a meat grinder.............Rockin' :boxing:

Gattz187
05-13-2005, 10:05 PM
jinx your right i have lost the fear of facing someone and coming foward to attack. The way i look at is Its me or him.

Tony Blitz
05-13-2005, 10:38 PM
[QUOTE=Rockin1]Amatuer boxing is a great sport, but please dont think to far into the future about fighting the professionals.[QUOTE]
hehe yeah man I know what you mean, "oh I want to be the heavyweight champion of the world" I just want to get into amateur boxing, do the best I possibly can and see if I would be able to take it to professional

Speedy Gonzales
05-14-2005, 11:59 PM
continue in your schooling. The schools will grind your mind into something spectacular, professional boxing is just a meat grinder.............Rockin' :boxing:

Rockin1, I now consider you the wisest man here. Out of all the responses I have ever heard on the forum, your response is the ONLY one that carries ANY WEIGHT whatsoever in comparison to all of the "The best way to train is..." or "the best diet is..."

We are all humbled by your wisdom.

And remember, DON'T just "stay" in school, USE SCHOOL AS YOU KEY TO A FUTURE!! EXCEL IN SCHOOL, EVEN IF IT MEANS SACRIFICING BOXING!

Not many people have been brave enough to say that much, but it is the truth.

ABOVE THAT, TRUST AND LOVE GOD!!!!!!!!!!!! HE IS THE ONLY GUARANTEE OF LIFE!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tony Blitz
05-15-2005, 03:02 AM
I have no future in school, I'm looking at all my alternative options for a living and boxing is the one I'm most interested in. Right now I don't attend school because they kicked me out, I failed the year, and I'm going back to a delinquint school next year to finish high school. Right now I know with the school I'll be going to there is no future for me in College.