View Full Version : How good is John Ruiz

sonnyboyx2
01-27-2010, 05:45 AM
what are your opinions on John Ruiz, his record at championship level over the last 11yrs is quite outstanding and as good as any champion since Larry Holmes.. Ruiz was caught with the first punch of the fight against David Tua 14yrs ago and KOd in 18 seconds, yet since then it can be argued that John Ruiz has held his own at the very top and has not been convincingly beaten by anyone... Like him or not, you have to give credit to this man for his determination and commitment to the sport, his longevity stands out as that of a very good fighter.

MARKBNLV
01-27-2010, 06:14 AM
He will never get the respect that his record dictates the man has some good wins under his belt he was never undisputed but he has had a damn good run,and i think he will beat Haye.

sonnyboyx2
01-27-2010, 06:41 AM
He will never get the respect that his record dictates the man has some good wins under his belt he was never undisputed but he has had a damn good run,and i think he will beat Haye.

i agree in my opinion Ruiz is a great bet to beat David Haye by Knock Out.

bojangles1987
01-27-2010, 07:12 AM
In all honesty, he was actually one of the better heavyweights of recent no matter how much I and everyone else hates his fights. But I feel that's more due to the state of the division than how good Ruiz is.

JAB5239
01-27-2010, 07:26 AM
Does anybody realize 4 of Ruiz's losses are by SD and 1 by MD? On top of that two of the SDs and the MD were in Germany and could have aruably gone the other way if fought in the US. Ruiz has been a perrenial titlist or top 10 fighter for over a decade. I doubt he'll ever get there, but Ruiz is HOF worthy in comparison to many who are already in. Very, very underrated fighter. I hope he beats Haye and gets a little respect.

Silencers
01-27-2010, 07:49 AM
I really don't like Ruiz but he has my grudging respect for what he has done.

One more round
01-27-2010, 08:12 AM
Ruiz is a solid fighter and has done a bit, but I'm no fan.

jkaisen41
01-27-2010, 02:16 PM
what are your opinions on John Ruiz, his record at championship level over the last 11yrs is quite outstanding and as good as any champion since Larry Holmes.. Ruiz was caught with the first punch of the fight against David Tua 14yrs ago and KOd in 18 seconds, yet since then it can be argued that John Ruiz has held his own at the very top and has not been convincingly beaten by anyone... Like him or not, you have to give credit to this man for his determination and commitment to the sport, his longevity stands out as that of a very good fighter.

He has very effective/ugly way of fighting... good beard as it seems... good conditioned... in today's boxing in many times it is enough to be good conditioned and a good chin to win fights (especially todays Heavyweights)

He held his own against whatever was put in front of him... I think to really determinate how good he was the best names are missing like Lewis or the Klitschko's... but he fought his share of champions and contenders and was never really embarrassed (exception probably Tua)... what hurt him will be that he lost to too guys who came up from MW (even though Toney stayed at Heavy and the decision was changed) I think these guys rank on top skill wise and also legacy wise of guys he has ever fought (exception Holyfield but who has past it) and he lost... so...

He is very constant... on top more or less over a decade... it's not easy to hold your ground like that...

Haye-Ruiz will be interesting... after that we will see if Haye has arrived at Heavy or not... Ruiz will make it a lot harder for him then Valuev

mickey malone
01-27-2010, 03:36 PM
Ruiz has had his day, as well as a long and hard career..

He'll be 39 by the time they fight, and i'd be astonished if he beats Haye..
I see it going the same way as Adamek Golota, and yes, i am taking into account, Ruiz will be in much better shape than Golota was..

1SILVA
01-27-2010, 04:07 PM

I can't stand the way he fights, but I'm so hoping he puts David Gaye out to pasture.

cooper5
01-27-2010, 09:03 PM
I would consider John Ruiz an over achiever. Looking back he was not given credit for all he did. Not the most entertaining fighter for sure but perhaps under appreciated still.

The_Demon
01-27-2010, 10:16 PM
hes a solid fighter who has been around the top for a very long time.i feel he would have more fans if his style was more endearing

he wont beat haye though,he didnt look good in his last fight against a nobody so i can see david beating him up badly

sonnyboyx2
01-28-2010, 08:00 AM
hes a solid fighter who has been around the top for a very long time.i feel he would have more fans if his style was more endearing

he wont beat haye though,he didnt look good in his last fight against a nobody so i can see david beating him up badly

based on their fights with Valuev... Ruiz will slaughter Haye

General Zod
05-15-2010, 10:18 AM
I hate Lennox Lewis, lol