View Full Version : Whitaker did well here for being a past it cocaine addict

One more round
01-25-2010, 07:08 PM
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/EJwl9y3cPXU&hl=en_GB&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/EJwl9y3cPXU&hl=en_GB&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Any other former lightweight in Pernell's position here would have been knocked out by Trinidad.

donkim
01-25-2010, 07:18 PM
Trinidad played the New York police officer and Whitaker played himself....the crack addict.Trinidad did what every other New York police officer does to Whitaker's kind.

Winning one round out of twelve and receving a tremendous thumping for the other eleven is not what I would call doing well.

One more round
01-25-2010, 07:20 PM
Trinidad played the New York police officer and Whitaker played himself....the crack addict.Trinidad did what every other New York police officer does to Whitaker's kind.

Winning one round out of twelve and receving a tremendous thumping for the other eleven is not what I would call doing well.

It is doing well when you are as past it as Whitaker was, and against a bigger prime opponent in Trinidad.

And I'm not having you pollute my thread with your ****, on ignore you go.

billionaire
01-25-2010, 08:08 PM
i was watching that fight the other day, its one of trinidads best fights....he was fast & powerful.....do you really think prime whitaker beats prime trinidad its hard to say whitaker def doesnt have the power to keep trinidad off him.....

Jim Jeffries
01-25-2010, 10:03 PM
I think crack would be quite beneficial to a fighter. Makes you feel invincible and is quite good at eliminating pain.

Method Checker
01-25-2010, 10:08 PM
Who knew that he was also fighting a cheater, at the time?

One more round
01-25-2010, 11:34 PM

For ****s sake shut up or I will put you on ignore too. Sick of all these BS conspiracy theories about fighters. Tito was warned for wrapping his hands against the code, not loading his gloves.

Method Checker
01-25-2010, 11:40 PM
For ****s sake shut up or I will put you on ignore too. Sick of all these BS conspiracy theories about fighters. Tito was warned for wrapping his hands against the code, not loading his gloves.
Putting me on ignore just shows that you can't handle the truth. Relax.

Trinidad was caught with wrapping his hands illegally, in NY. His dad said that was the way he wrapped his hand for every fight. The Whitaker fight was in NY.

So technically, he was cheating.

mathed
01-25-2010, 11:40 PM
Pernell was a tough customer at any stage of his career, the crack didn't do him any favors tho

One more round
01-25-2010, 11:49 PM
Putting me on ignore just shows that you can't handle the truth. Relax.

Trinidad was caught with wrapping his hands illegally, in NY. His dad said that was the way he wrapped his hand for every fight. The Whitaker fight was in NY.

So technically, he was cheating.

The hand wrapping was a minor thing that was legal in most other places. Techncially it is cheating, but technically clinching is cheating too.

What I can't or can't be bothered to handle is idiots after the Margarito thing running around taking every infringement of the rules to the max, like the threads calling Xylocaine use cheating.

Method Checker
01-25-2010, 11:54 PM
The hand wrapping was a minor thing that was legal in most other places. Techncially it is cheating, but technically clinching is cheating too.

What I can't or can't be bothered to handle is idiots after the Margarito thing running around taking every infringement of the rules to the max, like the threads calling Xylocaine use cheating.

The way his hands were wrapped increased his punching power. You may not like to hear it but it's true.

Clinching and having an illegal power punching advantage are two totally different things.

One more round
01-26-2010, 12:07 AM
The way his hands were wrapped increased his punching power. You may not like to hear it but it's true.

Clinching and having an illegal power punching advantage are two totally different things.

Everyone wraps their hands to maximise protection and make them compact so you can hit to the best of your ability. Even Richardson said it was not really illegal anywhere else.

It was hardly a huge power punching advantage, it may have slightly increased his power as wrapping ones hands well always does, but it definitely wasn't responsible for his KO power.

Levcon8686
01-26-2010, 01:28 PM

Exactly. The way Tito wrapped his hands in the Hopkins fight was legal in most other states. He probably didn't even know it was against the rules in New York. It ranks as one of the least serious infringements in the game if you ask me, and yet he gets the cheater treatment. ****'s ridiculous.

Method Checker
01-26-2010, 03:04 PM
Everyone wraps their hands to maximise protection and make them compact so you can hit to the best of your ability. Even Richardson said it was not really illegal anywhere else.

It was hardly a huge power punching advantage, it may have slightly increased his power as wrapping ones hands well always does, but it definitely wasn't responsible for his KO power.

Just because it's not illegal in another states doesn't mean it's not bad. They probably just don't know about it.

It did increase his power a lot. It wasn't just extra wrapping, it was the way his hands were wrapped.

I'm willing to bet that you and most of the people on this forum don't know squat about wrapping a fighter's hands. Because it does make a huge difference how they're wrapped.

ufirst
01-26-2010, 10:14 PM
i was watching that fight the other day, its one of trinidads best fights....he was fast & powerful.....do you really think prime whitaker beats prime trinidad its hard to say whitaker def doesnt have the power to keep trinidad off him.....
I kinda think a prime Pea beats Trinidad Even though Trinidad was a bigger dude, Pea had an underrated right hook & the overhand left was nothing to sneeze at either- Ask mr. Hurtado. Even though Tito kept his hands high when coming forward, Pea with good legs & movement is too hard to walk down, too slippery to pound, sharp & just enough pop to win that decision.

Obama
01-26-2010, 10:47 PM

Whitaker is just as guilty of cheating for using cocaine.

Neither got caught in the fight, so, suppose we just ignore it.

DeepSleep
01-27-2010, 03:08 AM
There is a lot to the Tito wraps story and it isn't very clear what exactly happened. Tito's wraps were illegal because Felix Sr. applied tape to his knuckles and layered tape and gauze while he wrapped his knuckles; both are illegal in NYSAC rules.

Now alone the advantages of simply adding more tape aren't substantial enough to make a fighters hand turn into a brick but when you dip the tape in ice water the tape will seize and harden. If you have layers of tape and tape on your knuckles when you dip your hand into the ice water the tape will seize up and harden making your wraps harder.

Now there is no question as to whether Tito's wraps had tape on the knuckles and layers of tape, Tito Sr. admits thatís how he wrapped his sonís hands because he believes it provides more protection. The mystery is whether he dipped his hands into ice water to stiffen the tape.

Now again we donít know much other than Titoís hands were wrapped with layers of tape which is illegal under NYSAC rules, so itís very tough to draw a conclusion.