View Full Version : Top Ten Turnaround KO's

GJC
01-23-2010, 12:54 PM
How about people post their top ten or top 5 if you prefer turn around KO's
I.e. out of the blue knock outs which totally turned a fight on it's head.

Few that jump into my head are:

Barclay v Hearns I
Jackson v Graham
Weaver v Tate

Silencers
01-23-2010, 01:11 PM
John David Jackson vs Jorge Fernando Castro
Archie Moore vs Yvon Durelle 1
Foreman vs Moorer
Chavez vs Taylor
Whitaker vs Hurtado
Tim Littles vs Frankie Liles 2
Pavlik-Taylor 1
Leonard-Hearns 1
Louis-Conn 1

In no particular order, just the ones that popped up in my head.

GJC
01-23-2010, 01:15 PM
John David Jackson vs Jorge Fernando Castro
Archie Moore vs Yvon Durelle 1
Foreman vs Moorer
Chavez vs Taylor
Whitaker vs Hurtado
Tim Littles vs Frankie Liles 2
Pavlik-Taylor 1
Leonard-Hearns 1
Louis-Conn 1

In no particular order, just the ones that popped up in my head.

Some good ones there can't believe I forgot Moore Durelle! I guess Marciano Walcott I would have to be up there.
Not 100% sure about Leonard Hearns, I know that Leonard needed the KO to win on the judges scorecards but I had Leonard ahead at the time of the KO.

Silencers
01-23-2010, 01:23 PM
Some good ones there can't believe I forgot Moore Durelle! I guess Marciano Walcott I would have to be up there.
Not 100% sure about Leonard Hearns, I know that Leonard needed the KO to win on the judges scorecards but I had Leonard ahead at the time of the KO.

Yeah, I wasn't sure about including Leonard-Hearns either but since he was behind on the official scorecards, I listed it.

Ziggy Stardust
01-23-2010, 01:32 PM

Weaver Vs. Tate is the one that always pops into my head.....Marciano Vs. Walcott I is another good one, and Foreman Vs. Moorer.

Poet

Obama
01-23-2010, 01:38 PM
Recent ones...

Rogers Mtagwa vs Tomas Villa 2008
Jermain Taylor vs Carl Froch 2009
Roman Karmazin vs Dionisio Miranda 2010

Sugarj
01-23-2010, 01:39 PM
Eubank vs Watson 2

Lewis vs Bruno

La Motta vs Dauthuille

Rocky Balboa vs Ivan Drago (hee hee)

GJC
01-23-2010, 01:39 PM
Barkley v Hearns was the one that really made me sit up.
It didn't last long and it wasn't just that I thought Barkley was getting well beat I was actually getting concerned for Barkley. I was thinking I know its only the 3rd round but I think the referee should really.....bang! Great win Iran thought you always had him lol

GJC
01-23-2010, 01:41 PM
La Motta vs Dauthuille

Rocky Balboa vs Ivan Drago (hee hee)

The main difference between those 2 is the real one is the unbelievable one!

oldgringo
01-23-2010, 01:44 PM
Corrales/Castillo I

Toney/Nunn

Barkley/Hearns I

Carbajal/Arce

Toney/Littles

Carbajal/Gonzalez I

Eubank/Watson II

donkim
01-23-2010, 02:15 PM
Roman Karmazin vs Dionisio Miranda 2010

You had Karmazin behind on points?

Bundana
01-23-2010, 02:16 PM
Arnold Taylor - Romeo Anaya.

If we're talking out of the blue KO's where a fighter, who has taken a sustained beating, suddenly flattens his tormentor with one mighty punch... then this one must certainly be in the top 10. Down 4 times and taking heavy punishment throughout, Taylor finally pulled one big right (if I remember correctly!) out of the bag to knock the Mexican cold in the 14th round! Can't think of a better example than that.

mickey malone
01-23-2010, 02:17 PM
Nigel Benn Gerald McClellan
Bonecrusher Smith Frank Bruno
Danny Williams Mike Tyson
Colin Jones Kirkland Laing I/II
Jack Johnson Stanley Ketchell
George Foreman Ron Lyle
George Foreman Michael Moorer
Floyd Patterson Ingo Johansson III
Evander Holyfield Bert Cooper
John Mugabe James Green
Carl Froch Jermaine Taylor
Jack Dempsey Luis Angel Firpo
Archie Moore Yvon Durelle
Bob Fitzsimmons Jim Corbett
Chris Eubank Michael Watson II

GJC
01-23-2010, 02:20 PM
If we're talking out of the blue KO's where a fighter, who has taken a sustained beating, suddenly flattens his tormentor with one mighty punch...

That's kind of my train of thought, the real wow where the hell did that come from ones.

sonnyboyx2
01-23-2010, 02:24 PM
Cotto vs Margarito

GJC
01-23-2010, 02:24 PM
[COLOR="Green"]
Bonecrusher Smith Frank Bruno

Yep that was a disappointment that one. Funny thing is along with the Lennox Lewis fight I'd probably put that up as one of Frank's greatest perfomances.
I always think that if they would have stretched him a bit more in the early days and had him learn from a defeat like that rather than feed him another few shot fighters to bowl over he might have had more success.
But that's another thread.

Burning Desire
01-23-2010, 02:28 PM
I'll name two i just watched recently.

Derrick Gainer vs Kevin Kelley 1
Mike Weaver vs John Tate

bklynboy
01-23-2010, 02:41 PM
The main difference between those 2 is the real one is the unbelievable one!

I've only seen clips from the 15th round. One day hopefully I'll see the whole fight.

mickey malone
01-23-2010, 03:47 PM
Arnold Taylor - Romeo Anaya.

If we're talking out of the blue KO's where a fighter, who has taken a sustained beating, suddenly flattens his tormentor with one mighty punch... then this one must certainly be in the top 10. Down 4 times and taking heavy punishment throughout, Taylor finally pulled one big right (if I remember correctly!) out of the bag to knock the Mexican cold in the 14th round! Can't think of a better example than that.
Well remembered; that's a classic example..

El Jesus
01-23-2010, 04:07 PM
Corrales/Castillo I

Toney/Nunn

Barkley/Hearns I

Carbajal/Arce

Toney/Littles

Carbajal/Gonzalez I

Eubank/Watson II

Carbajal did the right thing by just leaving the sport.

Toney/Nunn was nuts.

talip bin osman
01-24-2010, 03:56 AM
I really liked ward-sanchez...

gerry penalosa-johnny gonzales

carbajal-arce...

pacquiao-sasakul...

Ray*
01-24-2010, 10:01 AM
Chavez-Taylor
Corrales-Castillo
Jackson-Herol Graham
Pavlik-Taylor

oldgringo
01-24-2010, 01:10 PM

carbajal-arce...

pacquiao-sasakul...

good call! vicious, perfectly timed body shot.

BennyST
01-26-2010, 10:06 AM

Barclay v Hearns I
Jackson v Graham
Weaver v Tate

What a great fight Weaver vs Tate was! It also goes to show you the difference between today's managers/promoters and the guys from back then when boxing was big. Not only was boxing still on TV but the card for the Weaver Tate fight was like this:

1st: Eddie Gregory vs Marvin Johnson LHW title
2nd: Mike Weaver vs John Tate HW title
3rd: Dave Green vs Ray Leonard WW title
4th: Leroy Jones vs Larry Holmes HW title

Now that's how you put on a night of boxing! It really seems to be falling apart lately. Every big fight is being cancelled, literally. Boxing cards are pathetic and each champions is put in wth a series of chumps for as long as is humanly possible while we sit back crying. Then, on top of that, you have the top guys also picking each and every fight trying to stay away from any risk and not taking the big fights everyone wants to see. :nonono:

Boxing blows now. :davil2:

Bushbaby
01-27-2010, 12:11 PM

carbajal-arce...

pacquiao-sasakul...

Ward-Sanchez,I was looking to see if anyone posted that 1!!That's 1 of the most amazing 2 body shot ko's I've ever seen!!Was it on the undercard of Oscar-SweetPea??!!The whole hbo crew was saying Ward shouldn't get pay'd for the fight!!It looks like he went to sleep about 2 hours before the fight,after partying for 2 days straight!!That was amazing,I'll never forget those 2 body shots!!

JAB5239
01-27-2010, 05:44 PM
Ward-Sanchez,I was looking to see if anyone posted that 1!!That's 1 of the most amazing 2 body shot ko's I've ever seen!!Was it on the undercard of Oscar-SweetPea??!!The whole hbo crew was saying Ward shouldn't get pay'd for the fight!!It looks like he went to sleep about 2 hours before the fight,after partying for 2 days straight!!That was amazing,I'll never forget those 2 body shots!!

Great example!! I remember Roy Jones saying they should just stop the fight because Mickey really didn't want to be in there, and than BOOM it was over!

McGoorty
08-11-2011, 07:55 PM

Barclay v Hearns I
Jackson v Graham
Weaver v Tate
Tony Mundine piling up points on Kahu Mahunga,... when Kahu exploded one off Mundines chin,..... and good night Dick.............. Ditto Anthony Mundine Vs Sven Ottke

fitefanSHO
08-11-2011, 08:32 PM
The body shot from Arturo Gatti to drop Wilson Rodriquez and the left hook to the chin that finished him. Gatti had been getting his head handed to him on a platter up until that tide turning body shot.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UpQ-x1EGRL4

BigStereotype
08-12-2011, 03:09 AM
Israel Vazquez vs. Jhonny Gonzalez
Ray Leonard vs. Tommy Hearns
Rocky Marciano vs. Joe Walcott
Jack Dempsey vs. Gene Tunney (long count my ass...)

goblin213
08-12-2011, 03:32 AM
Archie Moore vs Harold Johnson V

tyger
08-12-2011, 03:47 AM
Weaver/Tate, Carbajal/Arce and Foreman-Moorer were all amazing!

jabsRstiff
08-12-2011, 08:52 AM
Carbajal-Chiquita Gonzalez

McKinney-Ncita

Ramirez-Rosario II (it was short, but Ramirez was getting destroyed for a while)

Holmes-Weaver

mhager91490
08-12-2011, 10:15 AM
Gaby Canazalas vs Miguel Lora (My memory's a little hazy about this fight but if I remember right it was a turn around for Gaby)

Ward-Sanchez
Kittikasem-Chang
Barkley-Hearns
Weaver-Tate
Marciano-Walcott I
Whitaker-Hurtado

Can't think of anymore right now.

IronDanHamza
08-12-2011, 10:47 AM
Came in here to say Johnson-Moore 5 but it's already been said.

jabsRstiff
08-12-2011, 10:52 AM
Gaby Canazalas vs Miguel Lora (My memory's a little hazy about this fight but if I remember right it was a turn around for Gaby)

Yeah, Canizales had been dropped and then was eating bombs along the ropes when he landed an incredible left hook counter.

Great little fight!

mhager91490
08-12-2011, 11:00 AM
Yeah, Canizales had been dropped and then was eating bombs along the ropes when he landed an incredible left hook counter.

Great little fight!

I'm going to have to watch it again, Gaby had some scary power.

jabsRstiff
08-12-2011, 11:09 AM
I'm going to have to watch it again, Gaby had some scary power.

He threw such beautiful punches. He and his brother we're both gifted and extremely well-trained.

mhager91490
08-12-2011, 11:17 AM
He threw such beautiful punches. He and his brother we're both gifted and extremely well-trained.

Orlando had a style all his own but Gaby was reminiscent of Duran in some ways (and kinda looked like him). The Canizales brothers are by far my favorite pro boxing brothers.

McGoorty
08-12-2011, 12:20 PM
What a great fight Weaver vs Tate was! It also goes to show you the difference between today's managers/promoters and the guys from back then when boxing was big. Not only was boxing still on TV but the card for the Weaver Tate fight was like this:

1st: Eddie Gregory vs Marvin Johnson LHW title
2nd: Mike Weaver vs John Tate HW title
3rd: Dave Green vs Ray Leonard WW title
4th: Leroy Jones vs Larry Holmes HW title

Now that's how you put on a night of boxing! It really seems to be falling apart lately. Every big fight is being cancelled, literally. Boxing cards are pathetic and each champions is put in wth a series of chumps for as long as is humanly possible while we sit back crying. Then, on top of that, you have the top guys also picking each and every fight trying to stay away from any risk and not taking the big fights everyone wants to see. :nonono:

Boxing blows now. :davil2:
That's Fair Dinkum !!!!!!!!,......... An AUSSIE !!!!..... A Banjo Patterson,... A Digger..... Bloedly good to see I'm not the only one here,..... Where are yer now ???????

McGoorty
08-12-2011, 12:24 PM
Came in here to say Johnson-Moore 5 but it's already been said.
What About Archie Moore, getting off the floor FOUR TIMES....Then Drops DURELLE FOUR TIMES on the way to a Knockout.......... surely there have been FEW Better and more awesome comebacks,....... and HE WAS OLD !!!!!!!!!!

IronDanHamza
08-12-2011, 12:32 PM
What About Archie Moore, getting off the floor FOUR TIMES....Then Drops DURELLE FOUR TIMES on the way to a Knockout.......... surely there have been FEW Better and more awesome comebacks,....... and HE WAS OLD !!!!!!!!!!

Of course, of course.

That one just stuck out in my mind because I was thinking about it recently.

The best being possibly Lamotta-Dauthuille. Incredible, just incredible.

McGoorty
08-12-2011, 01:04 PM
Of course, of course.

That one just stuck out in my mind because I was thinking about it recently.

The best being possibly Lamotta-Dauthuille. Incredible, just incredible.
Yeah !!!.. The Raging Bull.......... Love the way he fooled that Frenchman.... he was foxing for sure,..... actually, LaMotta was as exciting as Graziano.... They never did fight each other ??????/.... I don't think so..... Good ta see ya IRON....

IronDanHamza
08-12-2011, 02:39 PM
Yeah !!!.. The Raging Bull.......... Love the way he fooled that Frenchman.... he was foxing for sure,..... actually, LaMotta was as exciting as Graziano.... They never did fight each other ??????/.... I don't think so..... Good ta see ya IRON....

Lamotta was one hell of a fighter.

No, he never met up with Graziano, unfortunately. What a brawl that would have been, while it lasted.

McGoorty
08-12-2011, 05:14 PM
Lamotta was one hell of a fighter.

No, he never met up with Graziano, unfortunately. What a brawl that would have been, while it lasted.
How would you see that fight ???.... How would the fight pan out ???

Greatest1942
08-16-2011, 02:58 AM

Louis vs Walcott 2
or Louis vs Conn

PS. though Louis would have won vs Conn if he could win the last three rounds.

There were some great mentions already so thought of adding these