No announcement yet.

Hearns vs Hagler

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hearns vs Hagler

I'm a great fan of the fabulous four during the 80's. It was one of the greatest eras of boxing and meant a lot to me as that's when I was growing up and those fighters were the ones that inspired me to fight.

I was just watching this fight again. Every time I see it I hope Hearns will pull something out of the bag and knock Hagler out. The first round was amazing and one of the most vicious and exciting clashes I have seen.

I heard recently that Hearns claimed that he broke his hand in that first round. Anyone know if this is true?

It does seem that after that initial burst he appeared to back off a little in terms of his ferocity and his punch power.

Originally posted by Fistof Fury
    I'm a great fan of the fabulous four during the 80's. It was one of the greatest eras of boxing and meant a lot to me as that's when I was growing up and those fighters were the ones that inspired me to fight.

I was just watching this fight again. Every time I see it I hope Hearns will pull something out of the bag and knock Hagler out. The first round was amazing and one of the most vicious and exciting clashes I have seen.

I heard recently that Hearns claimed that he broke his hand in that first round. Anyone know if this is true?

It does seem that after that initial burst he appeared to back off a little in terms of his ferocity and his punch power.
    First of, welcome to BoxingScene! And yes, Hearns did break his hand during that first round. It takes one tough sob to keep on fighting after that. Still, I donīt think he would have beaten Hagler had his hand not broken.

Comment

Originally posted by M26
      First of, welcome to BoxingScene! And yes, Hearns did break his hand during that first round. It takes one tough sob to keep on fighting after that. Still, I donīt think he would have beaten Hagler had his hand not broken.
      Thanks!

I don't know, it was clear that Hagler came into that fight thinking that he could take out Hearns with a flurry of powerful punches early on. But Hearns gave as good as he got.

The broken hand would certainly have played a big part in many ways, not to mention the agonising pain. If his hand had not been broken I think he would have beaten Hagler. The way that he previously destroyed Duran showed that could knock out tough fighters -you don't get much tougher than Duran!

Comment

Originally posted by Fistof Fury
        Thanks!

I don't know, it was clear that Hagler came into that fight thinking that he could take out Hearns with a flurry of powerful punches early on. But Hearns gave as good as he got.

The broken hand would certainly have played a big part in many ways, not to mention the agonising pain. If his hand had not been broken I think he would have beaten Hagler. The way that he previously destroyed Duran showed that could knock out tough fighters -you don't get much tougher than Duran!

Hagler, lb4lb, took a better punch than Duran did.....then you throw in the fact that he was a 160lber.
        Hearns could KO Duran, but would never come close to KOing Hagler.
        Those who say "Hearns almost KO'd Hagler" are engaging in serious hyperbole. He stunned Hagler, at best, & only briefly.

As for the hand.....Everyone hurt their hands on Hagler. You hit a rock of a human with your best shot, something's gotta break...& it wasn't gonna be Hagler.

Comment

What were Hearns chances of outboxing Hagler for 12 rounds?

Comment

Originally posted by m00ks

Contrary to some popular belief....Hearns did not come & trade with Hagler. Hagler was all over him like no one else in history. If Hearns didn't want to get eaten alive in that very first round, he had no choice but to fire back.
            Everyone needs to watch it again.

Hearns could not hold off Hagler for twelve rds.. Not ever.

Comment

Agreed that would never happen. Hagler was just too strong with greater stamina. Hearns legs wouldn't last that long.

Comment

he would not only break his hands, but also his nose, his chin, and his legs. hagler was just too much for hearns

Comment

Originally posted by jabsRstiff
                  Hagler, lb4lb, took a better punch than Duran did.....then you throw in the fact that he was a 160lber.
                  Hearns could KO Duran, but would never come close to KOing Hagler.
                  Those who say "Hearns almost KO'd Hagler" are engaging in serious hyperbole. He stunned Hagler, at best, & only briefly.

As for the hand.....Everyone hurt their hands on Hagler. You hit a rock of a human with your best shot, something's gotta break...& it wasn't gonna be Hagler.
                  I have to agree that Hagler was hard as rock and wasn't troubled by many hard punchers of the time. But by no means invincible. He had been knocked down just the year before by someone (can't remember who). Hearns right was a powerful punch. He obviously didn't nearly KO him, but I think if he had continued to 'stun' him the way he was doing, then you never know what would have happened in those early rounds.

Comment

Hagler vs Minter, the fight where Hagler won the middleweight title was a great abreviate slugfest too, except the ending kinda sucks, I wont say why.

Comment

Working...
                    X