View Full Version : Hearns vs Hagler

Fistof Fury
05-06-2005, 03:54 AM
I'm a great fan of the fabulous four during the 80's. It was one of the greatest eras of boxing and meant a lot to me as that's when I was growing up and those fighters were the ones that inspired me to fight.

I was just watching this fight again. Every time I see it I hope Hearns will pull something out of the bag and knock Hagler out. The first round was amazing and one of the most vicious and exciting clashes I have seen.

I heard recently that Hearns claimed that he broke his hand in that first round. Anyone know if this is true?

It does seem that after that initial burst he appeared to back off a little in terms of his ferocity and his punch power.

M26
05-06-2005, 04:18 AM
I'm a great fan of the fabulous four during the 80's. It was one of the greatest eras of boxing and meant a lot to me as that's when I was growing up and those fighters were the ones that inspired me to fight.

I was just watching this fight again. Every time I see it I hope Hearns will pull something out of the bag and knock Hagler out. The first round was amazing and one of the most vicious and exciting clashes I have seen.

I heard recently that Hearns claimed that he broke his hand in that first round. Anyone know if this is true?

It does seem that after that initial burst he appeared to back off a little in terms of his ferocity and his punch power.

First of, welcome to BoxingScene! And yes, Hearns did break his hand during that first round. It takes one tough sob to keep on fighting after that. Still, I donīt think he would have beaten Hagler had his hand not broken.

Fistof Fury
05-06-2005, 09:21 AM
First of, welcome to BoxingScene! And yes, Hearns did break his hand during that first round. It takes one tough sob to keep on fighting after that. Still, I donīt think he would have beaten Hagler had his hand not broken.

Thanks!

I don't know, it was clear that Hagler came into that fight thinking that he could take out Hearns with a flurry of powerful punches early on. But Hearns gave as good as he got.

The broken hand would certainly have played a big part in many ways, not to mention the agonising pain. If his hand had not been broken I think he would have beaten Hagler. The way that he previously destroyed Duran showed that could knock out tough fighters -you don't get much tougher than Duran!

jabsRstiff
05-06-2005, 12:23 PM
Thanks!

I don't know, it was clear that Hagler came into that fight thinking that he could take out Hearns with a flurry of powerful punches early on. But Hearns gave as good as he got.

The broken hand would certainly have played a big part in many ways, not to mention the agonising pain. If his hand had not been broken I think he would have beaten Hagler. The way that he previously destroyed Duran showed that could knock out tough fighters -you don't get much tougher than Duran!

Hagler, lb4lb, took a better punch than Duran did.....then you throw in the fact that he was a 160lber.
Hearns could KO Duran, but would never come close to KOing Hagler.
Those who say "Hearns almost KO'd Hagler" are engaging in serious hyperbole. He stunned Hagler, at best, & only briefly.

As for the hand.....Everyone hurt their hands on Hagler. You hit a rock of a human with your best shot, something's gotta break...& it wasn't gonna be Hagler.

m00ks
05-06-2005, 12:49 PM
What were Hearns chances of outboxing Hagler for 12 rounds?

jabsRstiff
05-06-2005, 02:02 PM

Contrary to some popular belief....Hearns did not come & trade with Hagler. Hagler was all over him like no one else in history. If Hearns didn't want to get eaten alive in that very first round, he had no choice but to fire back.
Everyone needs to watch it again.

Hearns could not hold off Hagler for twelve rds.. Not ever.

Fistof Fury
05-06-2005, 03:15 PM

Agreed that would never happen. Hagler was just too strong with greater stamina. Hearns legs wouldn't last that long.

czars_salad
05-06-2005, 03:28 PM
he would not only break his hands, but also his nose, his chin, and his legs. hagler was just too much for hearns

Fistof Fury
05-06-2005, 03:36 PM
Hagler, lb4lb, took a better punch than Duran did.....then you throw in the fact that he was a 160lber.
Hearns could KO Duran, but would never come close to KOing Hagler.
Those who say "Hearns almost KO'd Hagler" are engaging in serious hyperbole. He stunned Hagler, at best, & only briefly.

As for the hand.....Everyone hurt their hands on Hagler. You hit a rock of a human with your best shot, something's gotta break...& it wasn't gonna be Hagler.

I have to agree that Hagler was hard as rock and wasn't troubled by many hard punchers of the time. But by no means invincible. He had been knocked down just the year before by someone (can't remember who). Hearns right was a powerful punch. He obviously didn't nearly KO him, but I think if he had continued to 'stun' him the way he was doing, then you never know what would have happened in those early rounds.

The Troll
05-06-2005, 04:31 PM
Hagler vs Minter, the fight where Hagler won the middleweight title was a great abreviate slugfest too, except the ending kinda sucks, I wont say why.

kapersky
05-06-2005, 07:03 PM
i think hearns would win if the fight would go to distance but the way hagler came forward was maybe to much for hearns.

marvdave
05-06-2005, 07:09 PM
Contrary to some popular belief....Hearns did not come & trade with Hagler. Hagler was all over him like no one else in history. If Hearns didn't want to get eaten alive in that very first round, he had no choice but to fire back.
Everyone needs to watch it again.

Hearns could not hold off Hagler for twelve rds.. Not ever.

god bless you..I think I shed a tear on that one.

Marvin Hagler was a machine on that evening. Hearns had no chance to win. Hagler could ko him, or out box him. Bad matchup for Hearns. It was a great fight and Hearns did what he had to do...it just wasn't enough.

Dynamite76
05-07-2005, 05:59 AM
I have to agree that Hagler was hard as rock and wasn't troubled by many hard punchers of the time. But by no means invincible. He had been knocked down just the year before by someone (can't remember who). Hearns right was a powerful punch. He obviously didn't nearly KO him, but I think if he had continued to 'stun' him the way he was doing, then you never know what would have happened in those early rounds.

That knockdown was highly questionable.It was more like a slip.

cple
05-07-2005, 01:32 PM
If Hearns hadn't broken his hand in that fight, i don't think it would be out of the question that he could've won. Remember, Hagler had a huge cut on his face. With two viable hands, he possibly could've capitalized on that and had the fight stopped on a cut. However, the punch that cut Hagler was possibly the same punch that broke Hearns hand.

Anyways, i don't like to play what if's in fights that actually happened.

marvdave
05-07-2005, 04:08 PM
If Hearns hadn't broken his hand in that fight, i don't think it would be out of the question that he could've won. Remember, Hagler had a huge cut on his face. With two viable hands, he possibly could've capitalized on that and had the fight stopped on a cut. However, the punch that cut Hagler was possibly the same punch that broke Hearns hand.

Anyways, i don't like to play what if's in fights that actually happened.

on cuts is always possible, but on that night Hearns could not win straight up in my opinion. Hagler too tough, too much stamina.

Birddog
05-07-2005, 11:47 PM
Watch the fight again, Marvin worked Tommy over pretty good in round 1, I think that took the starch out of Hearns. Even if Tommy didn't break his hand, I don't think it would have mattered. marvin hurt him in round 1, and hearns with a good right would not have mattered. He was shot after round 1.

80schamps
05-08-2005, 08:56 PM
What about a rematch say soon after Hagler struggled to ko Mugabi and Hearns kos Shuller,with Hearns now being a much stronger Middleweight,and it showed,heck Emanuel Steward even commented that "TOMMY PEAKED IN THAT FIGHT"...what would be the results of HAGLER HEARNS 2?

Anghell
05-08-2005, 09:36 PM
If there was a rematch after the Mugabi fight I would give Hearns a chance. I don't think he would have knocked Hagler out, but he could try to outbox him. I agree that Hearns was shot after that 1 round. You guys ever watch Legendary Nights? When they were talking about the fight Stewart said that someone from Hearns entourage massaged Hearns legs, which is why legs were so rubbery after the first round. Anyone know anything about this?

wmute
05-08-2005, 10:29 PM
If there was a rematch after the Mugabi fight I would give Hearns a chance. I don't think he would have knocked Hagler out, but he could try to outbox him. I agree that Hearns was shot after that 1 round. You guys ever watch Legendary Nights? When they were talking about the fight Stewart said that someone from Hearns entourage massaged Hearns legs, which is why legs were so rubbery after the first round. Anyone know anything about this?

it is not the reasons for the legs being rubbery, but it changed hearns plan:
hearns-steward initial plan was to outbox hagler, which made a lot of sense.

but weak legs don't help in boxing circles around hagler

the only way to fight the whole fight around a great pressure fighter like hagler is to have very strong legs, to stand against his pressure

like whitaker was able to do with chavez

now that said... I think if you take away the massage and the broken hand, the fight would have ended in tko, because of hagler's cut

but to be fair in our "what if" I think that if you also take away the cut, hagler would have worn out hearns and stopped him later in the fight

80schamps
07-20-2005, 07:12 PM
I have been a Hearns fan since his first loss to Leonard,and though I did'nt like the result of this [vs hagler] particular fight,after 20 years that first round still gets the adrenalin going.The HBO broadcast still leaves an impact---"HEARNS WORKING THAT JAB HE HAS A VERY QUICK JAB THERE IS NO DENYING THAT,AND HE CAUGHT HAGLER WITH TWO GOOD JABS AND A RIGHT HAND THAT MIGHT HAVE HURT HAGLER,A TREMENDOUS PACE IN THE FIRST ROUND,BOTH GUYS ARE REALLY GOING AT IT!!!!RD 3 RIGHT HAND SENDS HEARNS HE DOES'NT KNOW WHERE HE IS,HAGLER MOVES IN FOR THE KILL NOW HE'S[HEARNS] GONE.AND HE GETS UP,THIS ONE IS HISTORY MARVIN HAGLER A TEMENDOUS VISTORY!!! too cool,well the fight was not the result.I WOULD HAVE LOVED TO HAVE SEEN A REMATCH 1 YEAR LATER,WHEN HEARNS WAS A MORE FILLED OUT MIDDLEWEIGHT,AND HAGLER HAD SLIPPED A TAD,but it never happened.BUT that april 15 1985 will be the night when boxing and the rocky movies became reality.TOO COOL :boxing:

Moon
07-20-2005, 07:19 PM
If you see HBO's Legendary Nights, a newspaper clipping is shown that I thought was written right after the fight and mentions the broken hand. Also, the HBO show comments on the exact punch that does the damage.

tommyhearns804
07-26-2005, 06:52 AM
Tommy Hearns is my favorite fighter as you should know from my screen name but it is funny when people try to make this out to be one of the most exciting fights of all time when reality it wasn't.After the first round i knew Tommy was done.He could never knock out Hagler and i doubt any middleweight in history could.Tommy charged out throwing everything he had but never hurt Hagler.Sure he cut him but Marvin was never in any danger of being knocked down.And as i said from there it was pretty much over the tides never turned.You just knew Hearns was going to be knocked out.
If you really want to see a action packed fight between two world class guys where the tides kept turning from moment to moment then watch Foreman vs Lyle.He is a little re-cap of the fight and you tell me which one was more exciting.
Round 1 Foreman boxing moving using the jab like he always does but late in the round he drops his hands and gets taged with a vicious over hand right and is hurt badly.Foreman staggers back to his corner
Round 2 Lyle comes out strong and has Foreman backing back.Foreman is fighting well for a guy who is usually on the attack but shows he can box moving backward a little.Foreman landed a big 5 punch combo and Lyle Staggers back Foreman goes in for the kill not throwing wild like he did vs Ali.The round ends after only 2 minutes.
3 Round 2 nothing really happens.Foreman continues to jab and is in control.
Round 4 Foreman is still in control until Lyle hits Foreman with another right hand...Foreman backs up and then circles a bit.Lyle lands a a combination and Foreman goes down.Foreman gets up.He doesn't really looks hurt.Lyle and Foreman began to trade and then "boom" Foreman lands what looks like a grazing right hand and Lyle goes down.He gets up and seems to be really hurt.Foreman again goes for the kill.Lyle is being hit at will.Foreman tries to throw a hook but Lyle lands a shorter hook.Foreman is stun he gets hit with some more devastating punches and goes down hard right on this face.
Round 5 Lyle is all over Foreman.Foreman is really taking a beating.Then again out of no where Foreman lands a jab right hand combo Lyle falls toward the ropes and Foreman pounds away until Lyle falls face first to the canvas.
The tides kept changing you didnt know who was going to win.Foreman was only really hurt by punches in this fight which shows how hard Lyle must of punched.It also showed how great of a fighter Lyle was and if he would of turned pro at 20 or so instead of 28 Lyle would of probably been considered one of the greatest Fighters ever.
Again Hearns vs Hagler was a good fight.But it won't have you at the edge of your seat like Lyle Foreman did.So if you haven't seen this fight then go out and try to find it.I think you can download it for free at Shareanza.com

marvdave
07-26-2005, 10:55 AM
Tommy Hearns is my favorite fighter as you should know from my screen name but it is funny when people try to make this out to be one of the most exciting fights of all time when reality it wasn't.After the first round i knew Tommy was done.He could never knock out Hagler and i doubt any middleweight in history could.Tommy charged out throwing everything he had but never hurt Hagler.Sure he cut him but Marvin was never in any danger of being knocked down.And as i said from there it was pretty much over the tides never turned.You just knew Hearns was going to be knocked out.
If you really want to see a action packed fight between two world class guys where the tides kept turning from moment to moment then watch Foreman vs Lyle.He is a little re-cap of the fight and you tell me which one was more exciting.
Round 1 Foreman boxing moving using the jab like he always does but late in the round he drops his hands and gets taged with a vicious over hand right and is hurt badly.Foreman staggers back to his corner
Round 2 Lyle comes out strong and has Foreman backing back.Foreman is fighting well for a guy who is usually on the attack but shows he can box moving backward a little.Foreman landed a big 5 punch combo and Lyle Staggers back Foreman goes in for the kill not throwing wild like he did vs Ali.The round ends after only 2 minutes.
3 Round 2 nothing really happens.Foreman continues to jab and is in control.
Round 4 Foreman is still in control until Lyle hits Foreman with another right hand...Foreman backs up and then circles a bit.Lyle lands a a combination and Foreman goes down.Foreman gets up.He doesn't really looks hurt.Lyle and Foreman began to trade and then "boom" Foreman lands what looks like a grazing right hand and Lyle goes down.He gets up and seems to be really hurt.Foreman again goes for the kill.Lyle is being hit at will.Foreman tries to throw a hook but Lyle lands a shorter hook.Foreman is stun he gets hit with some more devastating punches and goes down hard right on this face.
Round 5 Lyle is all over Foreman.Foreman is really taking a beating.Then again out of no where Foreman lands a jab right hand combo Lyle falls toward the ropes and Foreman pounds away until Lyle falls face first to the canvas.
The tides kept changing you didnt know who was going to win.Foreman was only really hurt by punches in this fight which shows how hard Lyle must of punched.It also showed how great of a fighter Lyle was and if he would of turned pro at 20 or so instead of 28 Lyle would of probably been considered one of the greatest Fighters ever.
Again Hearns vs Hagler was a good fight.But it won't have you at the edge of your seat like Lyle Foreman did.So if you haven't seen this fight then go out and try to find it.I think you can download it for free at Shareanza.com

impressive..a Hearns fan talking sense about the fight. Al Micheals and Al Bernstein were abit dramatic when they said "Hagler almost knocked out in the first" The only danger Hagler was in was if they stopped it due to the cut. Hearns didn't have a prayer after the first round.

J !
07-28-2005, 06:23 AM
great quote fom former lightweight world champ Jim Watt who now commentates on this fight in his thick Scots accent:

"hearns has cut Hagler, he didnae wanna do that!" :D

howe tree that turned out to be as it inspired Marvin to go for the early finish.
Great fight with two great fighters :cool:

shortright
08-03-2005, 10:22 PM
i to beleive its over rated short and one great round i liked duran barkley better at middle

msocearnaigh
08-04-2005, 07:28 AM
its been a while since i seen it but if memory serves me right it was hagler who started the agressor,none of this "feeling out" routine for the first couple of rounds.he hurt hearns but if you look at hearns face he looks stunned,like"this isnt the way its supposed to go"thing.hagler hurt his pride and tommy got involved in a war,exactly what hagler wanted.hagler was a smart fighter.

The Troll
08-04-2005, 11:45 AM

Hagler was only officially knocked down only once in his career and it was way before he fought Hearns. It was like 5 or 6 fights before he fought hearns. He had a slip vs Jaun Domingo Roldan in the first round and it was officially ruled a knockdown. Roldan had good power though. He was giving Hagler some trouble in the early rounds and then Hagler stuck a thumb in his eye and dominated the rest of the fight and stopped him around the 9th or 10th. Roldan was Hagler's first fight to defend the Undisputed Middleweight Championship. I never seen any punch seriously hurt Hagler. The guy is about as indestructable as you can get as a middleweight.

James Toney probably has the second best ability to take punishment I have ever seen. He does not even get hurt by heavyweights. I doubt there would ever be any middleweight or supermiddleweight that could hurt him, especially with his counterpunching ability.

tommyhearns804
08-06-2005, 08:35 AM
Mckay what heavyweights have Toney fought?Holyfield=Cruiserweight and he was washed up.Ruiz=Cruiserweight Ruiz started his career as a cruiserweight and Ruiz is a complete bum with no punch at all.Booker is a Light heavweight i believe and he is a bum.Toney has yet to fight a heavyweight so you don't know if he could take a heavyweight punch or not.