View Full Version : Metal Gear Solid 4 was a let down!

Boxer1590
01-20-2010, 05:44 PM
I recently got a ps3, and was excited as hell that I could finally play MGS4.

Was this a movie or a game?

Graphics are awesome, and the cut scenes are amazing, but too many and too often...and too long.

You play for like 1 minute and just go into another long ass cut scene.

When I did get to play, it was a fun ass game. The story was good too and I liked how it answered a lot of questions.

But I didn't like how spend probably twice as much time watching cut scenes than actually playing. If you go by just game play, that was a short game.

I was pretty let down by this.

oh well, MGS5 will be sick with Raiden. He was a fukin badass in MGS4.

Earl Hickey
01-20-2010, 07:03 PM
Prepare to be accused of being a 360 fanboy and red k'd

Ryn0
01-20-2010, 07:27 PM
Really? The play time still adds up to over 10 hours on a normal run through, there are alot of cutscenes true but it's MGS what were you expecting? Any fan of the series knows that they are there, and you can just skip them if you so choose.

I really enjoyed it so much so that it has been my favourite game this generation, I even finished it on Big Boss Extreme. The online whilst annoying to start is also excellent (not sure whether its stil going strong but it was a couple months ago since the last time I played was when CODMW2 came out.)

Boxer1590
01-20-2010, 07:40 PM
Really? The play time still adds up to over 10 hours on a normal run through, there are alot of cutscenes true but it's MGS what were you expecting? Any fan of the series knows that they are there, and you can just skip them if you so choose.

I really enjoyed it so much so that it has been my favourite game this generation, I even finished it on Big Boss Extreme. The online whilst annoying to start is also excellent (not sure whether its stil going strong but it was a couple months ago since the last time I played was when CODMW2 came out.)

I was expecting there to be a lot less time watching cut scenes. I've beaten mgs1,2, and 3. This one had faaaaaaaar more time in the cutscenes. It just seemed to me like they focused more on the cutscenes, which were amazing, more than the actual gameplay itself.

I wouldn't want to skip the video because I want to know what is going on in the game. The final cutscene had to be almost an hour long too, that's crazy.

Maybe I wouldn't be as disappointed if there were more gameplay, but there really wasn't a lot. It seemed like once the game started getting good, it ended.

Still a very good game, just let me down quite a bit.

J.R
01-20-2010, 08:04 PM
Nah nah nah, MGS4 is an ATG!!

Cutsecenes are part and parcel of MGS.

There were loads, but all added to the story and that final fight on top of the Metal Gear, with Ocelot.

Greatest game ever!!

Boxer1590
01-20-2010, 08:17 PM
Nah nah nah, MGS4 is an ATG!!

Cutsecenes are part and parcel of MGS.

There were loads, but all added to the story and that final fight on top of the Metal Gear, with Ocelot.

Greatest game ever!!

such a great fight.....

all you do is press R1.

Even that part was more a movie than a game. It was even confusing at times to distinguish when you were playing and when it was a movie.

Very cool part and a great way to end the feud. but I wish they made the fighting better with more options instead of just focusing on making it look cool. I mean all you had to do was press R1, and triangle every now and then.

Ether
01-20-2010, 11:34 PM
What did you think of the boss battles?

Boxer1590
01-20-2010, 11:45 PM
What did you think of the boss battles?

I liked them.

It was kinda awkward fighting their "liberated" beauties after defeating them lol
but I liked the battles.

It was cool how they were names like laughing octopus, raging raven, and so on and the names and their actions were explained after you fought them.

There was also like a different way to fight every one, and a different strategy you needed to come up with.

I wish Vamp was a little more difficult though. I'm sure he'll be back though lol.

The game play was fun, just not enough of it.

Andre Wardttke
01-21-2010, 12:02 AM
MGS4 is brilliant 3rd person shooter.

When it comes to stealth and story it's terrible and easily the worst in the series.

Kojima should have stopped it at MGS2 like he intended. Like everything else it just shat out after that. I didn't hate MGS3 but it just isn't on par with MG2, MGS and MGS2. MGS4 on the other hand, Kojima sabotaged it on purpose, that I have no doubt about.

Boxer1590
01-21-2010, 08:14 AM
MGS4 is brilliant 3rd person shooter.

When it comes to stealth and story it's terrible and easily the worst in the series.

Kojima should have stopped it at MGS2 like he intended. Like everything else it just shat out after that. I didn't hate MGS3 but it just isn't on par with MG2, MGS and MGS2. MGS4 on the other hand, Kojima sabotaged it on purpose, that I have no doubt about.

MGS isn't done, Snake is just done. There will be a MGS5 wit Raiden in it.It's supposed be called MGS Lightning Rising or something along them lines.

one-Punch
01-21-2010, 10:03 AM
This was the first MGS game I ever played, and I loved it. Epic Game. Aside from Uncharted 2, I consider it one of the best games I have ever played.

Biolink
01-21-2010, 12:41 PM
Metal Gear Solid has always been a cutscene heavy series.

Its meant to bridge the gap between Virtual Reality and Film.

Also that Raiden game is technically not Metal Gear Solid 5. Its called Metal Gear Solid: Rising

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metal_Gear_Solid:_Rising

I expect it to be a bit more action heavy

Boxer1590
01-21-2010, 12:50 PM
Metal Gear Solid has always been a cutscene heavy series.

Its meant to bridge the gap between Virtual Reality and Film.

Also that Raiden game is technically not Metal Gear Solid 5. Its called Metal Gear Solid: Rising

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metal_Gear_Solid:_Rising

I expect it to be a bit more action heavy

Mgs4 is faaaaaaaar beyond 1,2 & 3 in the cutscene category.

It's the 5th Metal Gear Solid. So I will call it 5. It's still too early to know what it's gonna be about anyway, and wikipedia is an unreliable source. I could go in there right now and edit it so it says it is MGS5 and post the same link back to you.

Boxer1590
01-21-2010, 12:52 PM
This was the first MGS game I ever played, and I loved it. Epic Game. Aside from Uncharted 2, I consider it one of the best games I have ever played.

How on earth could you follow the story line?

Biolink
01-21-2010, 01:04 PM

It's the 5th Metal Gear Solid. So I will call it 5. It's still too early to know what it's gonna be about anyway, and wikipedia is an unreliable source. I could go in there right now and edit it so it says it is MGS5 and post the same link back to you.

Well yeah, but its the last game.

Theres no more Solid Snake storyline to go from. It was only appropriate for them to go all out with all of the Cutscenes and tying up loose ends

Also that's official:

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/e3-09-metal-gear/50036

Boxer1590
01-21-2010, 01:36 PM
Well yeah, but its the last game.

Theres no more Solid Snake storyline to go from. It was only appropriate for them to go all out with all of the Cutscenes and tying up loose ends

Also that's official:

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/e3-09-metal-gear/50036

Never seen that video.....that games gonna be ****in sick.

Some of the cutscenes were appropriate to tie up the loose ends, yes. But I think there should have been more gameplay, and cutscenes for like 20 minutes of Maryl and Akuba getting married....I don't give a ***** about.

Sox8055
01-21-2010, 02:28 PM
Forget about it.

I dint like it, and I bought it when it first came out.

I expected something close to MGS: Snake Eater. Now that game was classic!!

A combo of both action and movie. The part where you have to cross the lake and watch out for alligators or kill them if you were hungry was epic.

This MGS was a 7 at best, I think the whole gaming world now is focusing more on graphics than gameplay and it's showing...:grumpy:

Ryn0
01-21-2010, 03:02 PM

It will actually be the 7th Metal Gear Solid.

But Kojima said Rising will not be Metal Gear Solid 5, Peace Walker is what Kojima considers his 5th MGS. Rising is a whole other game with totally difference mechanics.

Boxer1590
01-21-2010, 07:58 PM
Forget about it.

I dint like it, and I bought it when it first came out.

I expected something close to MGS: Snake Eater. Now that game was classic!!

A combo of both action and movie. The part where you have to cross the lake and watch out for alligators or kill them if you were hungry was epic.

This MGS was a 7 at best, I think the whole gaming world now is focusing more on graphics than gameplay and it's showing...:grumpy:

Your telling it like it is brutha.

I loved Snake Eater too.

I agree with your last statement too. I mean I remember hearing from a bunch of people how great the battle was between Snake and Liquid at the end of the game. How amazing it was, this and that. Then I do it, and first you just watch them fight for like 5 minutes, then you get to control and all you do is press R1 and then it's movies again. The fight LOOKED amazing and it was really cool. But the gameplay was far from anything special. And I buy games to....play games, not watch cutscenes.

Boxer1590
01-21-2010, 07:59 PM
It will actually be the 7th Metal Gear Solid.

But Kojima said Rising will not be Metal Gear Solid 5, Peace Walker is what Kojima considers his 5th MGS. Rising is a whole other game with totally difference mechanics.

fair enough man.

I'm looking forwards to MGS Rising regardless of how I felt about MGS4. Raiden's a bad muthafuka!

Andre Wardttke
01-21-2010, 08:24 PM
Raiden was good in MGS2 when his character meant something.

He's just a parody in MGS4.

Boxer1590
01-21-2010, 10:39 PM
Raiden was good in MGS2 when his character meant something.

He's just a parody in MGS4.

Isn't a parody supposed to make fun of something? I don't understand how Raiden was a parody.

And he'll be the main character in the new MGS so his character will mean something.

NAPO
01-23-2010, 01:02 AM
Awsome game. been a fan since the first one came out for playstation. The fight with vamp was hard as **** if you didn't use the guide.

oc9979
01-23-2010, 01:06 AM
Awsome game. been a fan since the first one came out for playstation. The fight with vamp was hard as **** if you didn't use the guide.

I used to like to play the one for PS1 because after you beat it. They give you that invicible crap. I have played and beaten all from MGS 1 to MGS 4. I have not play the original one tho.