View Full Version : the most technical fights you have seen?

talip bin osman
01-18-2010, 07:52 AM
a chessmatch if u will... between two grandmasters of this sport we all love...

im in the mood for video hunting on this type of fights...

care to name some good examples?

NigelBenn
01-18-2010, 08:06 AM
the one that always springs to mind with me was Joe Calzaghe vs Robin Reid.

A lot of needle going into the match, as Calzaghe had been chasing Reid when Reid was WBC champion, only when Reid lost it, and Calzaghe having the WBO title did the fight happen.

Reid was the in fighter with Calzaghe boxing after breaking his hand in round 4. I remember Reid catching Calzaghe with a whore of a right hand, that spun his neck round. Reid was amazed that Calzaghe had that good a chin.

talip bin osman
01-18-2010, 08:09 AM
the one that always springs to mind with me was Joe Calzaghe vs Robin Reid.

A lot of needle going into the match, as Calzaghe had been chasing Reid when Reid was WBC champion, only when Reid lost it, and Calzaghe having the WBO title did the fight happen.

Reid was the in fighter with Calzaghe boxing after breaking his hand in round 4. I remember Reid catching Calzaghe with a whore of a right hand, that spun his neck round. Reid was amazed that Calzaghe had that good a chin.

i will definitely look for this... I havent seen this fight yet...

tnx chico...

NigelBenn
01-18-2010, 08:32 AM
i will definitely look for this... I havent seen this fight yet...

tnx chico...

here's Part 1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DHgBbM7pHNc

Part 2,3,4 & 5 are on the side of it. It was by no means a classic, but there were moments.

the sound quality isn't good.

Sugarj
01-18-2010, 08:40 AM
Virgil Hill vs Tommy Hearns

Ray Leonard vs Tommy Hearns

Any of the Walcott vs Charles fights.

De La Hoya vs Whitakker

Mosley vs De La Hoya 1

Walcott vs Louis 1

Holmes vs Norton

The best of all has to be Holmes vs Norton. A beautiful display of boxing chess, combined with a last round brawl. Peak performances by both guys for me.

EzzardFan
01-18-2010, 10:09 AM
Sugar Ray Robinson vs Wilfred Benitz

Sugarj
01-18-2010, 11:06 AM
Bless you Ezzard fan, but I fear it was Ray Leonard who fought Benitez.

Great example though!

Joey Giardello
01-18-2010, 11:58 AM
Charley Burley vs Oakland Billy Smith
Bernard Hopkins vs Oscar De La Hoya
Roy Jones vs Erick Harding
Carlos Monzon vs Emile Griffith 2
Tommy Loughran vs Micky Walker

Mares
01-18-2010, 12:03 PM
marquez vs. barrera :cool:

General Zod
01-18-2010, 12:32 PM
James Toney vs McCallum I

mhager91490
01-18-2010, 01:19 PM
Any of the Griffith-Rodriguez fights
McCallum-Kalambay I-II
Ortiz-Brown
Whitaker-McGirt I-II
Napoles-Lewis
Giardello-Graham III

EzzardFan
01-18-2010, 01:53 PM
Oops can't believe I did that. It's been a long day LOL.

mickey malone
01-18-2010, 02:34 PM
PBF DLH
Hopkins Taylor I
Winky Mosely
Leonard Hagler
Toney Nunn
Curry Starling I II
Hill Maske
Calzaghe Kessler
Forrest Mora I II

cooper5
01-18-2010, 04:21 PM
Leonard Benitez was the first answer came to me. Camacho/Howard Davis too.

BattlingNelson
01-18-2010, 05:04 PM
If you want pure skills I'd suggest Leonard-Benitez as mentioned by several in this thread.

Hagler-Duran and Mayweather-DLH deserves attention as well.

(Fowler)
01-18-2010, 05:08 PM
Winky Wright Vs Shane Mosley

donkim
01-18-2010, 05:39 PM
Nothing technical about Winky Wright's fights with Shane Mosley,they were two one sided schoolings on Winky Wright's part.

I see nobody has suggested the first fight between Chris Eubank and Michael Watson.

Floid Fan
01-18-2010, 05:56 PM
Yes. Leonard/Benitez. And it's not even close.

Sugarj
01-18-2010, 06:45 PM
Hi Donkim, the second Mosley vs Wright fight was a split decision. Quite a close fight that one.

As for Eubank vs Watson, yes good choice. Great chess match of a fight.

talip bin osman
01-18-2010, 06:57 PM
sugarj...

i revisited holmes-norton in youtube & it was really an excellent heavyweight championship fight...

it was really a far cry to what the heavyweight picture looks right now...

it was a great suggestion...

donkim
01-18-2010, 07:24 PM
Hi Donkim, the second Mosley vs Wright fight was a split decision. Quite a close fight that one.

It was a majority decision and a strange decision at that.The rematch really wasn't that much different than the first fight.

Dynamite Kid
01-18-2010, 08:09 PM
Any of the Griffith-Rodriguez fights
McCallum-Kalambay I-II
Ortiz-Brown
Whitaker-McGirt I-II
Napoles-Lewis
Giardello-Graham III

Whitaker-McGirt I-II
McCallum-Kalambay I-II

Good call.

Two of the very best imo.

HaglerSteelChin
01-18-2010, 08:37 PM
Some that come to mind are:

FIghting Harada vs Eder Jofre 1- SD win for Harada
Benitez vs Hearns - MD win for Hearns
Salvador Sanchez vs Juan Laporte- UD win for Sanchez

mhager91490
01-18-2010, 10:37 PM
Whitaker-McGirt I-II
McCallum-Kalambay I-II

Good call.

Two of the very best imo.

I agree, what's your list look like?

mhager91490
01-18-2010, 10:52 PM
Some that come to mind are:

FIghting Harada vs Eder Jofre 1- SD win for Harada
Benitez vs Hearns - MD win for Hearns
Salvador Sanchez vs Juan Laporte- UD win for Sanchez

I always thought Fighting Harada's technical skills were underrated, before I had seen him fight all I had heard of him was how aggressive he was and how many punches he threw and he didn't dissapoint in those categories but he really impressed me with his jab, combination punching and his ability to box (which is shown in his first fight with Jofre). The bad thing was though if he got you hurt most of the time he would just go ape-**** (which was also shown in his first fight with Jofre).

I agree with your other choices but I found Sanchez-LaPorte somewhat boring.

Another couple of good technical fights:

Lionel Rose-Alan Rudkin

Lionel Rose-Takao Sakurai (which I heard described as a "****ing masterpiece")

Sugar Ramos-Davey Moore (though the circumstances following the fight take the shine off of it).

Lupe Pintor-Albert Davila II (Pintor is very underrated when it comes to boxing skills, very efficient with his punches and Davila is just pure class).

All of the Ezzard Charles-Jersey Joe Walcott fights

Micheal Spinks-Eddie Mustafa Muhammad (some excellent polished rough stuff)

Alexis Arguello-Jose Luis Ramirez (I haven't seen this fight in forever but I remember that Ramirez out on an excellent display of counterpunching while Arguello kept it very close, though I scored it for Ramirez if my memory serves me correctly)

Salvador Sanchez-Ruben Castillo (Another very close fight that I scored the other way, lot of ebbs and flows in this fight and everything executed in this fight just oozed class).

Anselmo Moreno-Wladimir Sidoreinko I-II (I have heard some people call Moreno boring but I always found him compelling to watch)

HaglerSteelChin
01-18-2010, 11:06 PM
Before pacquiao there would be often debates about who was the greatest asian fighter Harada vs Galaxy. If you study their fights you would see Harada was far more technical than Galaxy. Galaxy just had more power and would systematically break down an opponent more by brawn than skill Galaxy didn't have the amateur experience that Harada had. Galaxy was more methodical and waited for opportunity to strike with his powerful left. Harada had better side to side movement, hand speed, and foot work. His skills run circles around galaxy. Galaxy just had more power and that was what helped him become 49-1.

I thought Sanchez vs Laporte was very competitive early on and by the late RDS Sanchez started to pull away. Laporte was one of those guys who seem to always be a little short in his big fights. But he had a steel chin and went the distance with guys like Sanchez, Nelson. Gomez, Tszyu, and JC Chavez.
Eventually, he did become Featerhweight champ-although briefly.

mhager91490
01-18-2010, 11:17 PM
Before pacquiao there would be often debates about who was the greatest asian fighter Harada vs Galaxy. If you study their fights you would see Harada was far more technical than Galaxy. Galaxy just had more power and would systematically break down an opponent more by brawn than skill Galaxy didn't have the amateur experience that Harada had. Galaxy was more methodical and waited for opportunity to strike with his powerful left. Harada had better side to side movement, hand speed, and foot work. His skills run circles around galaxy. Galaxy just had more power and that was what helped him become 49-1.

I thought Sanchez vs Laporte was very competitive early on and by the late RDS Sanchez started to pull away. Laporte was one of those guys who seem to always be a little short in his big fights. But he had a steel chin and went the distance with guys like Sanchez, Nelson. Gomez, Tszyu, and JC Chavez.
Eventually, he did become Featerhweight champ-although briefly.

Harada was a sharpshooter while Khaosai was a tank. Galaxy was a guy who won with muscle, toughness and fitness, I was very unimpressed with him when he fought on the outside, he had a bad habit of over extending himself when he threw his lead left and he usually just pawed with the jab but he became a different fighter when he closed the gap, very sharp and threw good combos on the inside.

Khaokor on the other hand was an excellent technical boxer, he was a very meticulous fighter and as a result he was very conservative and that is the reason he lost the technical decision to Moon in their first fight, he basically got outhustled. My favorite performance from him is the second fight between him and Moon, he put on an excellent show of movement, countering and body punching and really handled Moon well. I also really enjoyed him outboxing a young Wilfredo Vasquez. Too bad his career ended so early.

HaglerSteelChin
01-18-2010, 11:34 PM
Harada was a sharpshooter while Khaosai was a tank. Galaxy was a guy who won with muscle, toughness and fitness, I was very unimpressed with him when he fought on the outside, he had a bad habit of over extending himself when he threw his lead left and he usually just pawed with the jab but he became a different fighter when he closed the gap, very sharp and threw good combos on the inside.

I think a good analogy is how a baseball pitcher changes speed and it confuses a hitter. Galaxy in the inside fought a different pace and his left was quite elusive. BOOM all of a sudden he seems to KO the opponent out of the blue and it shocked the opponent.

1SILVA
01-19-2010, 11:46 AM

Leonard-Benitez
Hearns-Benitez
Whitaker-McGirt I
Toney-Griffin I
Howard Davis-Meldrick Taylor

Amazinger
01-19-2010, 12:00 PM

Fights I've seen.

SRLeonard vs Duran
Pryor vs Arguello
Gomez vs Sanchez

Some fight by Pipino Cuevas I think vs.Benitez.
Danny "little red" Lopez
Jesse Benavidez
Carlos Palomino
Nino La Rocca

Emphasis
01-19-2010, 12:50 PM
Lots of good choices and fights in this thread.

I'll add that Mayweather vs Judah was pretty technical. Great strategic shots thrown by both fighters until one of them started getting the best of it.

Calilloyd
01-19-2010, 08:57 PM

The first Pernell Whitaker-Buddy McGirt fight

One more round
01-20-2010, 12:25 AM
Mayweather-DLH was a very good technical fight.

oldgringo
01-20-2010, 12:38 AM
The first Pernell Whitaker-Buddy McGirt fight

That is the most highly technical chess match I have seen in my life, along with Toney/McCallum I.

Sugarj
01-20-2010, 07:23 AM
Hi Donkim,

I actually thought Shane fought a good fight in the rematch, he was dreadful and flat in their first fight. Both decisions did go the right way though, Shane wasn't nearly as effective at light middle

And Hi Talip,

I thought you'd like Holmes vs Norton! Great fight......

Devils Advocate
01-23-2010, 08:16 AM
I have to say as of recent Bradley vs Peterson was a very technical fight that pitted 2 prime boxers against each other with one emerging as a pound4pound fighter. Bradley should that height and react have nothing on him and can switch up his style to entertain his fans. Hes going to be the only man selling out Palm Springs. Big Ups to Peterson his heart will lead him to a championship

GJC
01-23-2010, 01:03 PM
Leonard-Benitez
Hearns-Benitez

Those fights are a good call.
Anyone mention McCallum v Graham not a classic but a real chess match I thought?