View Full Version : Boxing is in trouble!!!

Cleary23
09-26-2004, 11:00 PM
I heard a former HBO employee talking about how boxing is in big trouble coming into these next years.

He said the only fighters that can get big money and that people want to watch is Roy Jones, Bernard Hopkins, Oscar DeLaHoya, Mike Tyson, and Lennox Lewis. All of these guys are done or almost done in boxing and after that who do we have to look for to keep us alive.

We need some big stars especially in the heavyweight division.

I realize Trinidad is returning but still thats one guys people.

NichtGeflechten
09-26-2004, 11:05 PM
I heard a former HBO employee talking about how boxing is in big trouble coming into these next years. ....we can all see exactly why he is a former employee.

Cleary23
09-26-2004, 11:07 PM
Its funny you say that Nicht

HE WAS 75 YEARS OLD AND WAS RETIRED.

but i kno you love to disagree with everybody so i dont really need to repcect your opinion

noboody really respects you opinions hahahaha

abdiel2k3
09-26-2004, 11:11 PM
dont worry if you really look around
we have enough risin stars to take out these lingeren old champs
we arent in that big of a fighters droubt
just the BIG NAMES are taking most poeples attention
but there are defintly still fighters who will keep boxing alive

Cleary23
09-26-2004, 11:12 PM
I think your right but we may go through a good year or two where nuthin like Tarver /Jones or Hoopkins/DelaHoya goes down.

SonnyG8R
09-26-2004, 11:15 PM
I think your right but we may go through a good year or two where nuthin like Tarver /Jones or Hoopkins/DelaHoya goes down.

Good. That just means we don't have to plop down 55 bucks to see a big fight.

spinksjinx
09-26-2004, 11:16 PM

Tarver vs Jones wasnt even suppose to be a superfight...Nobody thought tarver could do it and everyone thought he was just a pushover for roy....

Antonio Tarver know that is how a star is born....

It is a shame though that all of our upcoming superstars are in their mid thirties theirselves. :mad:

With the exception of the few though.

SonnyG8R
09-26-2004, 11:17 PM
I just picked a large booger out of my nose.

Cleary23
09-26-2004, 11:19 PM
Yeah it sucks I wish you could turn back time and restart their ages again and change their mistkaes
I would have ROy never coming down from heavyweight after Ruiz and I would have Tyson not do stupid **** and Ibeabuchi.

neils7147933
09-26-2004, 11:22 PM
So that 75-year old guy is not familiar with Morales and his drawing power? He must not have been paying attention to Diego Corrales as of late. And he must think that Jermain Taylor isn't for real.

Boxing must be doing OK ratings to be on nearly every Saturday night on one major network or the other.

SonnyG8R
09-26-2004, 11:24 PM
So about my booger... I didn't have a kleenex handy, so it came down to whether to wipe it under my desk, or get up and go into the bathroom and wipe it on a tissue.

Cleary23
09-26-2004, 11:25 PM
HAHAHAHAHA you saying Morales,Corrales and Taylor are in the same superstar category as Tyson, Jones, De La Hoya, Hopkins etc.

You have got to be ****in kidding me

neils7147933
09-26-2004, 11:26 PM
Not yet they're not. And do you know why? Because the old guys are still hogging the spotlight even though they're not as good anymore.

abdiel2k3
09-26-2004, 11:29 PM
Not yet they're not. And do you know why? Because the old guys are still hogging the spotlight even though they're not as good anymore.

o ****
hahahahhahahahahahha
some one just got schooled
biooootchhhhhahhhhhhhhhhhh

SonnyG8R
09-26-2004, 11:29 PM
Yeah, so here I was pondering what to do when the answer came to me. I played powerball this weekend and I DIDN'T WIN!!! Can you ****ing believe that?

Well I grabbed the lottery ticket and wiped my booger off on it. Pretty resourceful of me eh?

Cleary23
09-26-2004, 11:31 PM
I got schooled??? Because this guys says Hopkins isnt good enough to beat Jermain Taylor hahahahahaha

Jermain Talyor has to do something to prove hes what u say he is.

How old Morales????

How olds COralles???

neils7147933
09-26-2004, 11:32 PM
You have a serious reading comprehension problem. Might I suggest "Hooked on Phonics"

Cleary23
09-26-2004, 11:36 PM
WHAt i miss

He said I got schooled because of what u said.

You said that the Big guys are hogging the spotlight and there not as good ne more.

neils7147933
09-26-2004, 11:42 PM
As long as HBO or Showtime keeps headlining their events with past-their-prime HBO-made icons while keeping the young, up-and-coming talent buried on undercards or ShoBox, guys like Corrales or Taylor are not going to hit "superstar status" as easily.

They may put on the best show of the night, but are often lost in the hype for the next 50 dollar Holyfield spectacle.

mic573
09-27-2004, 12:16 AM
Out of Morales, Corrales and Taylor the only one I see that may become a bigger star is probably Taylor. His people just need to keep him away from Bernard right now. One person who quite possibly will become a superstar is Miguel Cotto. There is a difference between superstar and star. Cotto's fanbase is quite large already plus being a latino doesn't hurt his cause either.

m00ks
09-27-2004, 12:36 AM
Well once the oldies are out, the rising stars would get much much more attention. HBO would have no choice but to market these guys. And when they do, they have potential to reach that superstardom cuz they ain't lacking the talent dept. that's for sure.

mic573
09-27-2004, 12:49 AM
It takes more than talent to become a superstar in boxing. A fighter has to have something that catches the eye of the casual viewer that makes them want to watch that particular fighter. Personality, charisma or attitude something that catches the eye of the casual viewer. Delahoya had the charisma and the looks for the ladies. Jones had his ****y attitude that made people tune in to watch him win or watch him lose. Trinidad simply had the love of Puerto Ricans on the island and here in the United States plus other fans who loved to watch him fight. He also had that do or die attitude that made people watch.

m00ks
09-27-2004, 12:55 AM
It takes more than talent to become a superstar in boxing. A fighter has to have something that catches the eye of the casual viewer that makes them want to watch that particular fighter. Personality, charisma or attitude something that catches the eye of the casual viewer. Delahoya had the charisma and the looks for the ladies. Jones had his ****y attitude that made people tune in to watch him win or watch him lose. Trinidad simply had the love of Puerto Ricans on the island and here in the United States plus other fans who loved to watch him fight. He also had that do or die attitude that made people watch.

First of all, the young stars have plenty of charisma, it's just that no one is paying attention to them. That's also why you don't hear about them as much as the heavys. Charisma is something you develop. Roy only got more and more ****y as his career progressed. So yeah, givem a chance. I guarantee the new crop will grow to superstardom, at least the very best of them.

mic573
09-27-2004, 01:06 AM
Right now I think the only ones that have the chance to become superstars are Cotto and Taylor. There maybe more coming in the future but right now those are the only two ahead of the pack. Look at Mayweather he is one of the best but he is far away from superstar status. Morales is a great star but not a superstar.

m00ks
09-27-2004, 01:08 AM
Right now I think the only ones that have the chance to become superstars are Cotto and Taylor. There maybe more coming in the future but right now those are the only two ahead of the pack. Look at Mayweather he is one of the best but he is far away from superstar status. Morales is a great star but not a superstar.

Patience man, you'd be very suprised to see who's fight you're paying 59.99(if its still the price) 5 years from now.

mic573
09-27-2004, 01:26 AM
You're telling me that you can't see right now if someone is going to be a superstar or not. If Cotto keeps winning and heading in the same direction he's heading towards superstardom. Taylor has to step it up more and he can head down that same path.

abdiel2k3
09-27-2004, 03:36 AM
Out of Morales, Corrales and Taylor the only one I see that may become a bigger star is probably Taylor. His people just need to keep him away from Bernard right now. One person who quite possibly will become a superstar is Miguel Cotto. There is a difference between superstar and star. Cotto's fanbase is quite large already plus being a latino doesn't hurt his cause either.

first off taylors the only one who is gonna grow anymore den he is
Corrales is already giving his last fights
yes hes knew to the scene but old to the sport
he knows dese are his last fights
and as much as i hate to say it
same goes for morales
i hope to god he proves me wrong
but hes not getting any younger
altho hes a young person
hes an old fighter that is moving up in wieght which as weve seen
i.e. Oscar and roy its not the best idea to move up in weight near the end of their careers
but theres tons of other guys that will slowly make their way through the cracks as we finally realize we have to let our champs go

neils7147933
09-27-2004, 10:09 AM
I imagine HBO will just end up raiding Showtime's prospects some more when the superstars retire. Showtime's done a great job of putting out some future champs. In fact they put out Rocky Juarez, Juan Diaz, and Kermit Cintron - who HBO already had on a tripleheader Boxing After Dark. If Cotto-Hatton does happen, it'll happen on HBO. I imagine they'll go after Robert Guerrero and Paulie Malignaggi if they rise to the next level.

It's funny though that HBO let Cory Spinks go away and apparently would have let Tarver if they could have gotten the Calzaghe fight through. I guess HBO has more money and prestige to work with to get guys in the future or to sign guys "back". I'd think Spinks is a guy you'd want to claim as yours like they do Roy, Oscar, Mosley, and did Lennox a year or two ago. They'll probably throw some money at Left Hook Lacy eventually too.

Cleary23
09-27-2004, 11:25 AM
Bottom Line:

We ****ing Need A Superstar Heavyweight

bigdlb12
09-27-2004, 01:12 PM
ouch boxing needs a hero

semjasa
09-27-2004, 03:04 PM
Boxing has always been in trouble if its not a lack of decent up and comers its because someone has died in the ring or had brain damage.
There is only one certanty, boxing will outlast us guys so why worry.

SonnyG8R
09-27-2004, 04:04 PM
I was watching the Yankees-Red Sox game yesterday and Terry Francona, the Red Sox manager, tried to do that thing where you hold one nostril and blow a booger out of the other nostril. The funny thing is that the camera was on him and when he blew the booger out it landed on his other hand and he was sitting there trying to shake it off.

Hilarious!!

bigdlb12
09-27-2004, 04:22 PM
I heard a former HBO employee talking about how boxing is in big trouble coming into these next years.

He said the only fighters that can get big money and that people want to watch is Roy Jones, Bernard Hopkins, Oscar DeLaHoya, Mike Tyson, and Lennox Lewis. All of these guys are done or almost done in boxing and after that who do we have to look for to keep us alive.

what about John Ruiz? lol I think we will be hurting for awhile, we still have mayweather,Morales, Vargas coming back, Cotto, Hatton, Tito coming back too, but we do need some big names soon

BoxingCollector
09-27-2004, 04:37 PM
When guys like Wlad Klitschko and Michael Grant fall
flat on their faces after a huge HBO build up and are
hyped as the next big thing just to get KTFO by anyone
with a punchers chance then HBO gets gun-shy about the
hyping of new heavyweights until they prove something
first by beating someone and taking good shots!

Who's next? They hyped Joe Mesi and he stayed undefeated
but kept hitting the canvas in the process then got a
brain injury also thanks to Jirov I presume!

HBO should throw Jirov in some fights, at least he's a
good brawler and can take alot of punishment and keep on
fighting back which makes for good fights! :D

Did anyone notice Jirov throw a beer or soda can at Toney
after Toney's crap record padding fight with Booker T?? :D

m00ks
09-27-2004, 07:12 PM
first off taylors the only one who is gonna grow anymore den he is
Corrales is already giving his last fights
yes hes knew to the scene but old to the sport
he knows dese are his last fights
and as much as i hate to say it
same goes for morales
i hope to god he proves me wrong
but hes not getting any younger
altho hes a young person
hes an old fighter that is moving up in wieght which as weve seen
i.e. Oscar and roy its not the best idea to move up in weight near the end of their careers
but theres tons of other guys that will slowly make their way through the cracks as we finally realize we have to let our champs go

I think Diego and Morales have still A LOT to give. I doubt they are near the end of their career. With the way they are performing, 27 is looong way from retirement.

BoxingFanFirst
04-19-2010, 08:23 PM
Boxing made it.. YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cdr. Shepard
04-19-2010, 08:39 PM
Haha! 6 year bump. Nice find dude. TS got owned.

:boxing:

Killa Killa
04-19-2010, 08:45 PM
Hahahahaha...

Boxing is in trouble....:nono:

mrpain81
04-19-2010, 08:46 PM
Boxing has always been in trouble if its not a lack of decent up and comers its because someone has died in the ring or had brain damage.
There is only one certanty, boxing will outlast us guys so why worry.

This guy knows what he's talking about.

BoxingFanFirst
04-19-2010, 08:56 PM
Haha! 6 year bump. Nice find dude. TS got owned.

:boxing:

Thanks man, :grouphug:

Deeznuts
04-19-2010, 09:15 PM

Where in the world did you hear that Trinidad was returning? Kill your sources they're not reliable

GT-R
04-19-2010, 09:16 PM
Thanks man, :grouphug:

someone bump the first post ever.

Baracka Flocka
04-19-2010, 09:31 PM
Who would have thought Floyd Mayweather Manny Pacquiao Miguel Cotto and Ricky Hatton would save the day.

SiCaRiO13 Jr
04-19-2010, 09:34 PM
Where in the world did you hear that Trinidad was returning? Kill your sources they're not reliable

lol, look at the date man, that was 2004 :pat:

BoxingFanFirst
04-19-2010, 09:35 PM

Lol, you fell for it.

JonoYoungP4P
04-19-2010, 09:37 PM
boxing is great atm, some awesoem fights coming up

pbftxrs316
04-19-2010, 09:40 PM
i knew after the gatti fight, floyd was going to be something that we would have to deal with---i seen it---with his **** talk, him calling out all of these fighters and him being so brilliant in the ring, i knew he would become something special----manny i didn't know would be big until he fought morales the 2nd time--then i said, this little mother****er is something else---cotto i didn't think and hatton i didn't think until he came to america and called out floyd--of course ricky would be huge in the uk, but i just didn't see it in america until he called out floyd---cotto i didn't see though--i thought he was too protected by arum---that's the only reason though---

BoxingFanFirst
04-19-2010, 09:48 PM
i knew after the gatti fight, floyd was going to be something that we would have to deal with---i seen it---with his **** talk, him calling out all of these fighters and him being so brilliant in the ring, i knew he would become something special----manny i didn't know would be big until he fought morales the 2nd time--then i said, this little mother****er is something else---cotto i didn't think and hatton i didn't think until he came to america and called out floyd--of course ricky would be huge in the uk, but i just didn't see it in america until he called out floyd---cotto i didn't see though--i thought he was too protected by arum---that's the only reason though---

Makes you wonder who the stars will be in 2 years.

el malo
04-19-2010, 09:53 PM

lol, look at the date man, that was 2004 :pat:

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Deeznuts
04-19-2010, 09:54 PM
:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Damn, fell for it:why:

zeidrich
04-19-2010, 09:58 PM
wow, great bump TS .... who would have thought mayweather and packy would be superstars today

Heeb
04-19-2010, 09:59 PM
Boxing has so many hot prospects right now, I think the next generation of fighters is going to be great.

JonoYoungP4P
04-19-2010, 10:03 PM
Arreola-Adamek
Froch-Kessler

Mayweather-Mosley

Margarito Return
Williams-Cintron

Khan-Malignaggi
MItchell-Katsidis

Vazquez-Marquez 4

COtto-Foreman

SOme great fights in the coming weks!!

mathed
04-19-2010, 10:08 PM
Arreola-Adamek
Froch-Kessler

Mayweather-Mosley

Margarito Return
Williams-Cintron

Khan-Malignaggi
MItchell-Katsidis

Vazquez-Marquez 4

COtto-Foreman

SOme great fights in the coming weks!!

and don't forget Bradley/Maidana in July

bojangles1987
04-19-2010, 10:09 PM
Yeah, boxing died. Didn't you get the memo?

BoxingFanFirst
04-19-2010, 10:10 PM
I still get the feeling people didn't see the creation date.

Kevin Malone
04-19-2010, 10:12 PM
I still get the feeling people didn't see the creation date.

Nope. You will see articles in the mainstream media now that match this threads OP from 6 years ago...

BoxingFanFirst
04-19-2010, 10:12 PM
Nope. You will see articles in the mainstream media now that match this threads OP from 6 years ago...

Very good point.

heat27
04-19-2010, 10:13 PM
6 years later boxing still alive :)

thread failed

The Underboss
04-19-2010, 10:13 PM
failed prediction.

Check
04-19-2010, 10:17 PM
I don't understand why people always do this. People have been doing this since 1920's and yet boxing continues to flourish. Boxing is a sport, deep in tradition. When one man leaves, another steps in been like that for 150 years now. People like the sport, people practice the sport, the sport survives.