View Full Version : Fighters born in the wrong eras

Eric Holder
01-12-2010, 10:33 PM
Any fighter(s) who you feel were either overshadowed or prosperous because of the depth (or lack thereof) of their division/talent pool during their era?

JAB5239
01-12-2010, 10:41 PM
Any fighter(s) who you feel were either overshadowed or prosperous because of the depth (or lack thereof) of their division/talent pool during their era?

Jerry Quarry

cardinalslugger
01-12-2010, 10:46 PM
the obvious would be joe frazier and jerry quarry as said above. I however feel if mike tyson had been born sooner and cus wasn't as old, his career would have been much less rocky.

I also believe that even though he was successful and an atg, rocky marciano was an old school fighter in a more advanced time as far as size and skills.

mickey malone
01-12-2010, 11:19 PM
Jack Dempsey and Tommy Burns

mhager91490
01-13-2010, 12:12 AM
Jose Medel and Albert Davila are two who would have been much more prestigious had they not fought in such deep eras.

I also think that Emile Griffith would of been a lot bigger had he not been champ in the era of Ali.

Ziggy Stardust
01-13-2010, 12:26 AM
Jack Dempsey and Tommy Burns

Burns would have been better off if he'd stayed at Middleweight: He was living on borrowed time as a Heavy.

Poet

mickey malone
01-13-2010, 12:38 AM
Burns would have been better off if he'd stayed at Middleweight: He was living on borrowed time as a Heavy.

Poet
Agreed, but he kind of answers the question on the (lack of) side..

Gilberto Roman is also worth a mention.. Terrific Mexican WBC super-fly who was largely overshadowed in the division by Khaosai Galaxy (WBA)
Brian Mitchell, the brilliant South African WBA feather champ was also often overlooked in favour of then WBC champ, Azumah Nelson..
I doubt Roman & Mitchell earned a fraction of the purses enjoyed by their counterparts, and it does beg the question as to why unification matches did'nt take place.. I would imagine it was something to do with Aparthied in Mitchell's case..

sonnyboyx2
01-13-2010, 02:55 AM
Jerry Quarry

Jab.... you took the words out of my mouth

JAB5239
01-13-2010, 03:49 AM
Jab.... you took the words out of my mouth

First name to come to mind when I saw the thread.

Here's an interesting question. We all know Quarry owns a draw and a win over Floyd Patterson. Quarry was still young and had better fights to come. Floyd was past his days as champ but would still have several more impressive outings.

How would a more seasoned Quarry have done against a more prime Patterson? And How would Quarry have fared against Liston? Would he still be in the wrong era?

TBear
01-13-2010, 04:02 AM
Jack Johnson. I believe he was a skilled boxer in a time when the heavyweight division was made up of tough guys. Sailors and cowboys!(I know I'm going to hear it for that). A bunch of big guys that can lick any SOB in the house. Along came Johnson, jabbing, moving and counterpunching! A true boxer among strong men. Even later watching fighters like Willard and Dempsey walk in with their hands at their waist, throwing punches without setting them up. It was a time when the toughest, hardest puncher prevailed.

"You did say or lack thereof"

Malius
01-13-2010, 04:17 AM
I would of liked to see the Kilt brother in late 80's to nineties just too see them against prime Tyson and Lewis.

tanibanana
01-13-2010, 04:18 AM
i might get a beating out of this but i feel Klitschko brothers..

not saying they'll be great in any HW era, but if they were born
50 or 60 years ago.. they would have done a better impact..
they'll have an uglier win-lost record but legacy & money wise
it could have been better for them..

tanibanana
01-13-2010, 04:19 AM
I would of liked to see the Kilt brother in late 80's to nineties just too see them against prime Tyson and Lewis.
oops, somebody beat me to it... my bad.

mickey malone
01-13-2010, 07:41 AM
I'm not in the least bit attempting to be funny, but Wlad's career would have lasted about as long as a firework.. Vitali on the other hand would have been a close no3 in that era.. Both would beat certain versions of anyone, but not those 2 in their prime..

mickey malone
01-13-2010, 07:52 AM

Here's an interesting question. We all know Quarry owns a draw and a win over Floyd Patterson. Quarry was still young and had better fights to come. Floyd was past his days as champ but would still have several more impressive outings.

How would a more seasoned Quarry have done against a more prime Patterson? And How would Quarry have fared against Liston? Would he still be in the wrong era?
Quarry's a good call!.... He was something Liston was'nt used to, i mean the words ferarless and brave.. Unless Sonny got to him early (which i dare say he would) then Quarry would'a given him one hell of a beating..
Anyone who reads my posts will be well aware that i've always rated Quarry as the best heavy not to win it..
He beats Patterson IMO, sheer toughness, can't see any version of Floyd moving him & he can consider the draw as a result in my opinion..

wmute
01-13-2010, 07:59 AM
I would like to see all my favorite boxers from the last 40 years (especially the last 20) taken back to the 40s. Not even because of competition, but because they would fight each other 3,4,5 times.

No way Hopkins would have *****ed about getting 40% to rematch Jones. We would have seen Toney-Hopkins, Pryor-Leonard, Pryor-Duran, Mayweather-
Pacquiao. maybe even Hagler-Monzon. The list could go on and on.

Also I would like to pick any cuban fighters of the last 40 years and put them back in time, so they could turn pro at a normal age without fleeing the country.

OK, end of rant.

talip bin osman
01-13-2010, 09:08 AM

i saw duran on the sig & i thought esteban de jesus would be my answer to ur question...

to be a contemporary on the same weight division of the man regarded by many as the greatest to ever compete @ 135, would be such an honor & a curse @ the same time...

wmute
01-13-2010, 11:53 AM
i saw duran on the sig & i thought esteban de jesus would be my answer to ur question...

to be a contemporary on the same weight division of the man regarded by many as the greatest to ever compete @ 135, would be such an honor & a curse @ the same time...

and to hand him the only loss at that weight makes it a great fighter, but only known among aficionados...

Eric Holder
01-13-2010, 12:35 PM

yes, De Jesus was unfortunate to be a lightweight when Duran was in that weightclass. I could easily see De Jesus cleaning out today's 135 lb division

Gojira
01-13-2010, 01:10 PM
Carl Froch. id be interested to see how well he would fair in the middleweight division during the 40' and 50's

Bushbaby
01-13-2010, 01:30 PM
I'ma put 1 present fighter in here,he is the Punisher,I believe he would have been right at home in the 80's with the last kings,jumpin in the ring with the 1st person to call im out,no questions asked!!Nowadays the fans cater to spoiled superstars who request catchweights for ppv's & self proclaimed greatest fighters who avoid the best in their div!!

Bigdaddy_Vh
01-13-2010, 06:15 PM
I'ma put 1 present fighter in here,he is the Punisher,I believe he would have been right at home in the 80's with the last kings,jumpin in the ring with the 1st person to call im out,no questions asked!!Nowadays the fans cater to spoiled superstars who request catchweights for ppv's & self proclaimed greatest fighters who avoid the best in their div!!

i think Pwill would have been right at home in any era honestly ;)

cooper5
01-13-2010, 08:45 PM
Mustafa Hamsho! He was actually pretty good. I would have loved to see this strong southpaw in with Monzon or Jake LaMotta.

mickey malone
01-13-2010, 11:55 PM
Were you one of the judges in his last fight?
Because if so, you scored it incorrectly..

BennyST
01-14-2010, 10:10 PM
Some great ones mentioned. De Jesus is a great one as is Quarry. One guy I think would have ruled any era but the one he was in was Rodrigo Valdez. Amazing MW who destroyed Bennie Briscoe when Monzon couldn't, even Hagler couldn't though Briscoe was old. Gave Monzon absolute hell in both fights.

Jose Medel was a great one.

oldgringo
01-15-2010, 02:28 AM
Marlon Starling. Donald Curry was such a phenomenal Welterweight coming up and he really took away from Starling's shine. He came up with that sneaky good era of Welterweights in Curry, Breland, McCrory, Brown, Honeyghan and Blocker (among others). Not only that, he goes up to Middleweight to challenge the champ and it's another one of the most unfulfilled talents ever in Michael Nunn.

Starling would have been fun to watch in this era. Ike Quartey too, although his problems were mental and personal.

mickey malone
01-15-2010, 08:54 PM
Marlon Starling. Donald Curry was such a phenomenal Welterweight coming up and he really took away from Starling's shine. He came up with that sneaky good era of Welterweights in Curry, Breland, McCrory, Brown, Honeyghan and Blocker (among others). Not only that, he goes up to Middleweight to challenge the champ and it's another one of the most unfulfilled talents ever in Michael Nunn.

Starling would have been fun to watch in this era. Ike Quartey too, although his problems were mental and personal.
Good call!.. Always thought Starling drew the short straw myself..
He dropped a couple of close DC's to Curry on the way up (the 1st fight could have gone either way) and forever lived in his shaddow, but in my opinion was just as formidable at WW.. He beat some very good fighters such as Mark Breland (inc 1 draw), Lupe Aquino, Reggie Miller and Simon Brown..
When i say 'short straw' i mean unlucky when having his WBA title stolen from him on a No Contest when the brash Thomas Molinares KO'd him way after the bell to end the 6th.
They awarded the fight to Molinares, then about a week later stripped him and declared it vacant, so Starling went and grabbed the WBC version by knocking out Lloyd Honeyghan..
He eventually moved up to MW and fought a prime Michael Nunn and once again, i felt was unlucky in a fight that many (including myself) thought he'd done enough to win..

Bushbaby
01-17-2010, 10:54 PM
Were you one of the judges in his last fight?
Because if so, you scored it incorrectly..

That's pretty funny,but that doesn't matter in this tread because thats not the topic!!He will fight anyone willing in 3 weight classes,regardless of ur opinion about the Martinez fight,that's my point,peace out fellow fight fan!!

mickey malone
01-18-2010, 12:07 AM
That's pretty funny,but that doesn't matter in this tread because thats not the topic!!He will fight anyone willing in 3 weight classes,regardless of ur opinion about the Martinez fight,that's my point,peace out fellow fight fan!!
Very true, he does have the old school attitude & thats why he's so popular.. I like him too, he's entertaining to watch and has something in every department, but i'm of the opinion he's been over hyped since beating an over the hill Winky Wright..
Great fight with Martinez, but i felt Williams exposed himself as being quite easy to hit..
Apologies for twisting the topic, but as a modern day fighter, PWill's name does'nt come up much on the history section, and he intrigues me, so i'll do a thread on him..

tyger
01-18-2010, 12:31 AM
Micky Ward, he was always a throwback fighter to me. Good chin, great body puncher and great heart. Would have loved to see him fight some of the classic fighters. Might not have faired well but it would still would been fun to see.

Greatwhitehope
01-18-2010, 12:35 AM
Ken Norton personally, such a sheer athelete, I think he could've been huge in an earlier era.

Calilloyd
01-19-2010, 08:19 PM

I think Quarry would always give Patterson trouble but Liston would have been a horrible match up for Quarry. Liston's jab would cut Quarry face to ribbons.

MARKBNLV
01-19-2010, 09:33 PM
Quarry as said before Tyson to an extent his real prime was not exactly filled with great hws it was in the early 90s where the hw division started picking up steam again and i do believe Holy would have beat him pre prison.And the guy in my av in todays hw division he would be untouchable.

TheGreatA
01-19-2010, 09:47 PM
Chuvalo could have done some damage in the very early 1900's. Very strong, very durable and very good stamina. Often he simply ran out of time. Perhaps he could have been a Battling Nelson, bothering the great Jack Johnson during the latter part of his reign instead of Jess Willard.

Patterson was unlucky to come up in an era where the 190 lb heavyweights were turning into 210+ lb heavyweights. Sonny Liston looks huge in comparison.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/QrgILByIk50&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/QrgILByIk50&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Quarry was better than some men who held the heavyweight title like Burns, Willard, Carnera and he would have had a chance of upsetting better champs but all in all I feel he would have come up a bit short against the all-time greats.

mhager91490
01-19-2010, 11:46 PM
Some great ones mentioned. De Jesus is a great one as is Quarry. One guy I think would have ruled any era but the one he was in was Rodrigo Valdez. Amazing MW who destroyed Bennie Briscoe when Monzon couldn't, even Hagler couldn't though Briscoe was old. Gave Monzon absolute hell in both fights.

Jose Medel was a great one.

Medel is a great call, he is a guy who could beat the ATG's on some nights (as evidenced by his KO of a prime Harada)

Ziggy Stardust
01-20-2010, 12:19 AM
I think Quarry would always give Patterson trouble but Liston would have been a horrible match up for Quarry. Liston's jab would cut Quarry face to ribbons.

Most observers at the time thought Patterson should have gotten the nod in both Quarry though.

Poet

One more round
01-20-2010, 12:28 AM
Carl Froch. id be interested to see how well he would fair in the middleweight division during the 40' and 50's

:lol1: Imagine Froch fighting the Robinson who TKO'd LaMotta, that would have been nasty, especially back in thsoe days where the ref often let the fighter take a really, really bad beating or get KD'd several times before stopping it.