View Full Version : infighting tips please

TheFlyingMan
05-02-2005, 09:57 AM
Any body have any tips, tricks, basics about fighting close up? I'm a tall guy, and my trainer obviously tells me to tie up an opponent or push him away when he's close up, but I want to be a good fighter in this range too.

Anything, no matter how basic, would be appreciated. How to stand, etc. I also understand that the mechanics of each punch will change.

One moe thing,I've seen Joe Louis beat the **** out of someone with a very very short right hand. Is that genetics, or does he have a technique to it?

pug1986
05-02-2005, 12:15 PM
one trick is to step to his right and hold his right arm with your right. Then work his body with your left. He won't be able to hit u back.

Gattz187
05-02-2005, 12:38 PM
also when you throw a punch make the other arm block any vital points

meeny
05-02-2005, 02:26 PM
uppercuts ..especially since your the taller guy..short rights will just get you into bigger combos..but can get you in more trouble..it is extremely harder for you to fight a shorter guy inside..just uppercut him then hold him if you want..im a short guy..i fought a tall guy and he almost rocked me with an uppercut everytime i was inside i couldn't get away from it cuz i have to get that close

TheFlyingMan
05-03-2005, 07:58 AM
thanks guys please keep them coming!

chubb5000
05-03-2005, 11:40 AM
Doesn't that mean the guys just going to hit you with his left as well

BadMagick
05-03-2005, 05:52 PM
Doesn't that mean the guys just going to hit you with his left as well

Yeah, so it's probably not a smart thing to do against a strong left-handed guy, I'd assume.

Hunna
05-04-2005, 08:20 AM
mate, watch Tommy Hearns videos, u will pick up some tips of him. Also, go to olympic website, look for "felix savon" and watch footage of him, hes a tall heavyweight 6'6. He tries to avoid in fighting, hes a brilliant technician, always jabbing and on his toes. when u do get in close let that uppercut go. when a shorter guy explodes with his short roundhouse punches in close, even take a step back onto ya backfoot, then launch in with a straight right hand, which will stun them.

random guy
05-04-2005, 04:49 PM
another good tall infighter diego corrales

Slipx
05-04-2005, 08:39 PM
just uppercut him then hold him if you want..

.................................................. .................................................. .................................................. ...ruiz

Slipx
05-04-2005, 08:48 PM
my advice to you is to develop a great jab, once you have a great jab, the smaller man will respect you as soon as he feels it, and will not risk coming inside as much, giving you plenty of room to move

taller man shouldn't fight inside unless you have some serious skills, like riddick bowe for example. You need to fight tall, and for the most part, box tall, like wlad's brother vitali does.

i do all kinds of **** to maintain my jab, from ripping a college rule sheet of paper taped to my shower curtain bar with a jab,to putting 6 rolls of wristwraps on my left hand, putting on this old boxing glove my dog got a hold of once(16oz glove), and I go outside and just jab this brick wall on the side of my house until muscular fatigue..if you wrap your hand right you won't feel any pain whatsoever

i have a 12 inch by like 8ft board jammed into the ground outside that I tightly wrapped rope around the top of it (where i punch), wrap the jab hand (no glove) jab, jab, jab until muscular fatigue

if you have access to a pool, jabbing until muscular fatigue underwater is also good, (i use wrist weights underwater) some ppl will say the wrist weights are bad for your shoulder..never had a shoulder injury in 2 years of boxing, and after doing that underwater routine my entire left side of my back,on up to my shoulderblades, should be completely sore (almost immobile) the next day.

u follow these instructions, and u will have a world class jab that every short man u face will fear

leff
05-05-2005, 01:44 PM
use your left uppercut on the liver and your right in the solar plexus, also hit his biceps and shoulders if if you got the energy(it will make him tire and drop hisn guard, opening upp his body and head.)