View Full Version : How Would Roy Jones Do Against The ATGs In Their Primes? (No Haters/Huggers Please)

Ziggy Stardust
01-12-2010, 07:00 PM
In Prime Roy Jones Versus In Prime:

Ezzard Charles
Archie Moore
Gene Tunney
Bob Foster
Michael Spinks
Billy Conn
John Henry Lewis
Tommy Loughran
Tommy Gibbons
Maxie Rosenbloom
Young Stribling

Your thoughts Gentlemen?

Poet

mickey malone
01-12-2010, 11:54 PM

Ezzard Charles
Archie Moore
Gene Tunney
Bob Foster
Michael Spinks
Billy Conn
John Henry Lewis
Tommy Loughran
Tommy Gibbons
Maxie Rosenbloom
Young Stribling

Your thoughts Gentlemen?

Poet
I'd say the chin plays a big factor in this one..

And 4 out of the top 5 would find it, with Tunney being an evens fight..

I think he takes care of the others with Rosenbloom, Stribling and Conn taking him the distance..

geribeetus
01-13-2010, 02:00 AM

I think he takes care of the others with Rosenbloom, Stribling and Conn taking him the distance..

From what I've seen of Conn, he had a right hand that was almost as good as Louis'. You can see it in his fight against Louis actually. I have to think he would've caught up with Roy at some point. I agree with the rest though.

One more round
01-13-2010, 02:33 AM

Ezzard Charles
Archie MooreGene Tunney
Bob FosterMichael Spinks
Billy Conn
John Henry Lewis
Tommy LoughranTommy Gibbons
Maxie Rosenbloom
Young Stribling

Your thoughts Gentlemen?

Poet

The guy with the punch to take Roy out has the best chance, in my opinion the guys in bold all have the punch and the skills to land it on a prime Roy. But bear in mind Roy could also emerge without getting knocked out, and he has the punch to put away nearly anyone too.

(The guys underlined I don't know much about)

JAB5239
01-13-2010, 03:38 AM
From what I've seen of Conn, he had a right hand that was almost as good as Louis'. You can see it in his fight against Louis actually. I have to think he would've caught up with Roy at some point. I agree with the rest though.

Billy Conn was a great fighter and I have much respect for him, but you got to be crazy if you think his right is comparable to Louis'.

Silencers
01-13-2010, 04:17 AM
I think his physical gifts would have been able to make him competitive against them all, win or lose.

mickey malone
01-13-2010, 08:54 AM
Love Billy Conn, but not as versatile as RJJ..

Ziggy Stardust
01-13-2010, 12:26 PM

I don't think Conn was ever known as puncher. A speed merchant yes, but not a puncher.

Poet

GJC
01-14-2010, 09:19 PM
I don't think Conn was ever known as puncher. A speed merchant yes, but not a puncher.

Poet
I think a phrase once used about another fighter but would fit was he couldn't punch a hole in a pound of butter :)

mickey malone
01-14-2010, 10:49 PM
I think a phrase once used about another fighter but would fit was he couldn't punch a hole in a pound of butter :)
Lol.. Or 'could'nt knock the skin off a rice pudding' Tommy Loughran and Nicolino Locche come to mind..
More than made up for it with skill though..

Ziggy Stardust
01-15-2010, 01:07 AM

The way I always heard it put was "he couldn't break an egg with a hammer" :D

Poet

GJC
01-15-2010, 02:37 PM
The way I always heard it put was "he couldn't break an egg with a hammer" :D

Poet
If he hit a doorbell its doubtful he could make it ring :)

Obama
01-15-2010, 03:20 PM
Conn was far from feather fisted regardless...... He's not Slapsie Maxie. Speaking of which, how he'd do against Maxie is pretty much how he does against Calzaghe prime 4 prime.

Anyways, Jones beats everyone who doesn't knock him out. Problem is, a lot knock him out.

phallus
01-16-2010, 03:51 PM

I think his physical gifts would have been able to make him competitive against them all, win or lose.

i'd say these two posters above are pretty much right, RJJ's natural gifts of reflexes, speed and power would make the fights competitive up to the very end. roy's never fought anybody on the level of these guys though, they have the skills to test his chin, but if slapsie rosenbloom touches roy's chin, nothing happens

Floid Fan
01-16-2010, 04:49 PM

Ezzard Charles
Archie Moore
Gene Tunney
Bob Foster
Michael Spinks
Billy Conn
John Henry Lewis
Tommy Loughran
Tommy Gibbons
Maxie Rosenbloom
Young Stribling

Your thoughts Gentlemen?

Poet

Jones beats everyone except Loughran who was an even better defensive fighter than he.