View Full Version : Your All Time favourite Fighters to watch

sonnyboyx2
01-12-2010, 09:16 AM
You are in the house on a weekend, 6 friends & a fridge full of beer... which fighters do you select from your collection of DVDs to watch....my fav 5 are:

Jerry Quarry
Bobby Chacon
Arturo Gatti
Frank`the animal`Fletcher
Mike`bounty`Hunter

GJC
01-12-2010, 09:26 AM
You are in the house on a weekend, 6 friends & a fridge full of beer... which fighters do you select from your collection of DVDs to watch....my fav 5 are:

Jerry Quarry
Bobby Chacon
Arturo Gatti
Mike`bounty`Hunter
Def a theme emerging with those guys, no Saad Muhammed?

Sugarj
01-12-2010, 10:12 AM
I must admit, when my mates come round for beers, all they want to watch are the following again and again:

Tyson knocking people out!

Ali against Williams.

Roy Jones in his prime against the likes of Brannan, Thornton etc

and.....

Barrera taking Naseem Hamed to school.

I'd love to show them Jersey Joe Walcott, Willie Pep and Shane Mosley......but doubt that my mates would appreciate them...all tanked up!!

sonnyboyx2
01-12-2010, 10:22 AM
Def a theme emerging with those guys, no Saad Muhammed?

Saad is in the same League as those guys, no doubt about it as is Tyson, Basilio and a few others but those 5 are the tops IMO as far as Value-4-money action fighters go

bojangles1987
01-12-2010, 10:54 AM
Manny Pacquiao
Tyson, no one can deny the excitement when he knocked guys out
Evander Holyfield
Muhammad Ali
Pernell Whitaker
Roberto Duran
Tommy Hearns

I could go on, these are the fighters that immediately came into head.

KittenFlaps
01-12-2010, 01:26 PM
Tyson
Foreman
Gatti
Duran
Frazier

Bright-Eyes
01-12-2010, 01:35 PM
I should probably get a move on and start watching some of Chacon's fights.

Any particular fights of his that I should look out for?

sonnyboyx2
01-12-2010, 01:51 PM

start off with Chacon vs Bazooka Limon (4)

mhager91490
01-12-2010, 06:26 PM

His two fights Boza-Edwards, his 4th with Limon as well as his fights with Danny Lopez and Art Frias.

mhager91490
01-12-2010, 06:32 PM
My list:

Yaqui Lopez
Orlando Canizales
Mando Ramos
Veeraphol Sahaprom
Albert Davila
Wilfredo Gomez
Evander Holyfield

tanibanana
01-12-2010, 07:29 PM
In no particular order,

Tito Trinidad
Manny Pacquiao
Mike Tyson
Erik Morales
Roberto Duran
Roy Jones Jr.

1SILVA
01-12-2010, 07:34 PM

Jerry Quarry
Bobby Chacon
Arturo Gatti
Mike`bounty`Hunter

Alexis Arguello
Matthew Saad Muhammad
Thomas Hearns
Muhammad Ali
James Toney

mickey malone
01-12-2010, 09:10 PM
Nigel Benn
Vinny Pazienza
Tommy Morrison
Jeff Fenech
David Tua
Tommy Hearns
Tony Ayala
Tony Lopez
Mathew Hilton
Jorge Paez
Naseem Hamed
Manny Pacquiao
Dwight Quawi
Bobby Czyz
Ray Mancini
Arturo Gatti
Henry Cooper
Jake LaMotta
Kostya Tszyu
Roy Jones
Ray Leonard
Earnie Shavers
Johnny Tapia

All great to watch..

Lord Cornholio
01-12-2010, 09:34 PM

Jerry Quarry
Bobby Chacon
Arturo Gatti
Mike`bounty`Hunter

:firedevil :dance: :banana: :439:

Method Checker
01-12-2010, 09:54 PM
To me, a prime Mike Tyson is the most exciting to watch.

mhager91490
01-12-2010, 11:18 PM
Nigel Benn
Vinny Pazienza
Tommy Morrison
Jeff Fenech
David Tua
Tommy Hearns
Tony Ayala
Tony Lopez
Mathew Hilton
Jorge Paez
Naseem Hamed
Manny Pacquiao
Dwight Quawi
Bobby Czyz
Ray Mancini
Arturo Gatti
Henry Cooper
Jake LaMotta
Kostya Tszyu
Roy Jones
Ray Leonard
Earnie Shavers
Johnny Tapia

All great to watch..

My favorites from your list are:

Jeff Fenech
Tony Lopez
Jorge Paez
Ray Mancini
Ray Leonard

I also find it real interesting that you include Henry Cooper on your list.

mickey malone
01-12-2010, 11:41 PM
My favorites from your list are:

Jeff Fenech
Tony Lopez
Jorge Paez
Ray Mancini
Ray Leonard

I also find it real interesting that you include Henry Cooper on your list.
Being brought up in East London during the 60's and 70's, it was kind of compulsory.. That left hook of his was something else, i can assure you..
Had he been a stone heavier & less susceptable to cuts, he'd have been a main player at HW 4 sure..
I also enjoy watching Joe Erskine, Brian London, John L Gardner, John H Stracey, Alan Minter, Both Finnegans, Dave Charnley, Roy Gumbs, Mark Kaylor, Tony Sibson, Dennis Andries, Dave boy Green, Boza Edwards, Maurice Hope, Terry Marsh, Charlie Magri, Duke McKenzie, Barry McGuigan, Lloyd Honeyghan (when he KO'd Johnny Bumphus on his stool lol)

Too many to mention, but i'll always show a keen eye for British Talent..

mhager91490
01-13-2010, 12:00 AM
Being brought up in East London during the 60's and 70's, it was kind of compulsory.. That left hook of his was something else, i can assure you..
Had he been a stone heavier & less susceptable to cuts, he'd have been a main player at HW 4 sure..
I also enjoy watching Joe Erskine, Brian London, John L Gardner, John H Stracey, Alan Minter, Both Finnegans, Dave Charnley, Roy Gumbs, Mark Kaylor, Tony Sibson, Dennis Andries, Dave boy Green, Boza Edwards, Maurice Hope, Terry Marsh, Charlie Magri, Duke McKenzie, Barry McGuigan, Lloyd Honeyghan (when he KO'd Johnny Bumphus on his stool lol)

I agree with you about him being a much bigger threat in the heavyweight divsion had he been bigger with tougher skin. The thing I like about watching Cooper is that his big left hook is so wild that you never know when he is going to drop the hammer on his opponent. Out of your list my favorite is probably Mark Kaylor, he was just a crowd pleaser and he had some great fights back in the 80's my favorite being his scrap with Errol Christie.

One more round
01-13-2010, 12:03 AM
Holyfield, Morales, Duran, JMM, James Toney, Miguel Cotto, Antonio Margarito.

mickey malone
01-13-2010, 12:22 AM
I agree with you about him being a much bigger threat in the heavyweight divsion had he been bigger with tougher skin. The thing I like about watching Cooper is that his big left hook is so wild that you never know when he is going to drop the hammer on his opponent. Out of your list my favorite is probably Mark Kaylor, he was just a crowd pleaser and he had some great fights back in the 80's my favorite being his scrap with Errol Christie.
Yeh, I had to mention Christie on the 'Great Fighters with weak chins' thread recently.. I remember his fight with Kaylor well.. Kaylor burst the highly touted Christie's bubble.. They had another scrap on the street at the pre-fight press conference aswell, which Kaylor also got the better of..
I thought Mark was gonna go all the way, but then he was shockingly KTFO by Buster Drayton, and was never quite the same afterwards.. He eventually faded onto the unlicensed circuit, and the last i heard, he'd returned to his original occupation as a hod carrier.. His losing effort to Tony Sibson will always stick in my mind, it was razor close..

mhager91490
01-13-2010, 12:42 AM
Yeh, I had to mention Christie on the 'Great Fighters with weak chins' thread recently.. I remember his fight with Kaylor well.. Kaylor burst the highly touted Christie's bubble.. They had another scrap on the street at the pre-fight press conference aswell, which Kaylor also got the better of..
I thought Mark was gonna go all the way, but then he was shockingly KTFO by Buster Drayton, and was never quite the same afterwards.. He eventually faded onto the unlicensed circuit, and the last i heard, he'd returned to his original occupation as a hod carrier.. His losing effort to Tony Sibson will always stick in my mind, it was razor close..

Yeah, I found the whole deal of taking alchohol away from Kaylor's fans pretty interesting. You could almost tell that Kaylor had it in the bag when he knocked down Christie in the first round but it was still an excellent fight. I'll have to try and find his fights with Drayton and Sibson, for domestic scraps Great Britian is one of the best locations in the world.

JAB5239
01-13-2010, 12:53 AM
Joe Louis
Vinny Pazienza
Tommy Hearns
Roberto Duran
Marvin Hagler
Floyd Pattereson
Mickey Ward
Julio Cesar Chavez
Johnny Tapia
Tommy Morrison

sonnyboyx2
01-13-2010, 02:48 AM
Nigel Benn
Vinny Pazienza
Tommy Morrison
Jeff Fenech
David Tua
Tommy Hearns
Tony Ayala
Tony Lopez
Mathew Hilton
Jorge Paez
Naseem Hamed
Manny Pacquiao
Dwight Quawi
Bobby Czyz
Ray Mancini
Arturo Gatti
Henry Cooper
Jake LaMotta
Kostya Tszyu
Roy Jones
Ray Leonard
Earnie Shavers
Johnny Tapia

All great to watch..
i cant argue with any of those great fighters Mickey... they are all great to watch

sonnyboyx2
01-13-2010, 02:53 AM

All great fighters ... throw John Conteh & Paul`hoko`Hopkinson in there as well

mhager91490
01-13-2010, 03:03 AM

Conteh was always a joy to watch, at his best he really eptiomised "Boxer-Puncher" for me.

Dynamite Kid
01-13-2010, 03:46 AM
Im gonna make my list as small as possible so i will prolly miss a few of my favs out.

Terry Norris
Evander Holyfield
Felix Trinidad
Ray Mancini
Joe Frazier
Bobby Chacon
Marco Barrera
Julio Cesar Chavez

JAB5239
01-13-2010, 03:51 AM
Im gonna make my list as small as possible so i will prolly miss a few of my favs out.

Terry Norris
Evander Holyfield
Felix Trinidad
Ray Mancini
Joe Frazier
Bobby Chacon
Marco Barrera
Julio Cesar Chavez

Terry Norris is a nice pick. I always enjoyed watching him.

Dynamite Kid
01-13-2010, 05:59 AM
Terry Norris is a nice pick. I always enjoyed watching him.

Yeah.:boxing:

I also like watching Bert Cooper fights, he was involved in some really good fights imo.

mickey malone
01-13-2010, 09:09 AM
Granted... Dave boy McCauley, Colin Jones, Kirk Laing, Herol Graham, Gary Mason, Jim McDonnell should'nt be missing either.. Keep em coming!

talip bin osman
01-13-2010, 09:19 AM
gatti... morales... chico... these guys i was able to watch when they were still active... their biggest fights i was able to watch live...

but on re-runs & dvds & youtube, i enjoy watching saad muhammad... chacon...

it would have been great to watch battling nelson & fritzie zivic live during their heyday...:headbang:

GJC
01-14-2010, 04:08 PM
Conteh was a wondeful fighter as good a talent as the UK has produced. He never seemed to be too focassed to me and seemed to embrace the celebrity lifestyle a little to much for my liking.
Bit unfortunate in the 1st fight against Saad as Saad's corner managed to close a bad cut by pouring te equivalent of cement in the cut!

CarlosG815
01-14-2010, 05:37 PM
Tyson
Frazier
Marciano
Barrera
Morales
Oscar
Pac
Joe Louis
Young Mayweather (when his hands were good)

So many to list but guys like Tyson, Frazier, and Marciano always intrigued me because of their brutal ferocious style of fighting. They didn't just fight to win or box, they fought to decimate and knock out their opponents in brutal knockout fashion.

I wish Joe Louis could have fought Marciano at a younger age. That would have been spectacular :boxing:

American Dream
01-15-2010, 04:22 AM
Sweet Pea..
PBF..
RJJ..
M. Taylor..but that one kinda depresses the mood for me...

TBear
01-15-2010, 06:02 AM
All those named are great. Action fighters especially like Saad Muhammad, Gatti, Shavers, Marvin Johnson and Danny Lopez were great to watch.

But I really get a kick out of watching guys with world class power and bad chins. You never know who's going to win or get ko'd. Tommy Morrison was a good example. Every fight I knew he might get knocked out at any second, or land his left hook and finish his opponent. It kept me on the edge of my seat.
His bouts with Joe Hipp, Mercer, Carl Williams and Ruddock were full of excitment for me.

The_Demon
01-15-2010, 06:30 AM
leonard,sanchez,hearns,foreman,camacho,hamed