View Full Version : joe frazier vs mike tyson

The_One77
04-30-2005, 03:55 PM
Who would win?
They both had similar styles and both were roughly the same height, this would be a one hell of a brawl.

M26
04-30-2005, 04:36 PM
Iīm thinking Frazier. This has been debated on this forum before, and alot of people tend to believe Tyson would knock out Frazier early because of what Foreman did to him. I beg to differ. Foreman just overwhelmed Frazier and threw him around like a rag-doll. Tyson can punch almost at Foreman level, but is not that strong. Also, he lacks the heart needed to trade with Frazier.

Tysons only chance would be to take "Smokin Joe" out early, and I donīt believe he could. He would maybe knock him down a few times and take the first two rounds, but Frazier would get up and keep on coming. Tyson would lose his cool and give up. At this time, Frazier starts "smokin" and from here on out it would be all Frazier. Tyson would be in for a beating.

Frazier by late tko.

kapersky
04-30-2005, 06:14 PM
Iīm thinking Frazier. This has been debated on this forum before, and alot of people tend to believe Tyson would knock out Frazier early because of what Foreman did to him. I beg to differ. Foreman just overwhelmed Frazier and threw him around like a rag-doll. Tyson can punch almost at Foreman level, but is not that strong. Also, he lacks the heart needed to trade with Frazier.

Tysons only chance would be to take "Smokin Joe" out early, and I donīt believe he could. He would maybe knock him down a few times and take the first two rounds, but Frazier would get up and keep on coming. Tyson would lose his cool and give up. At this time, Frazier starts "smokin" and from here on out it would be all Frazier. Tyson would be in for a beating.

Frazier by late tko.

frazier was to small for tyson, tyson would destory him.

M26
04-30-2005, 07:16 PM
frazier was to small for tyson, tyson would destory him.

I donīt think so. Frazier and Tyson was similar in size. Frazier was 5'11 and fought at aprox 205 lbs in his prime. Tyson was 5'11 and fought at aprox 210 in his prime. Not a big difference. So this would be decided on heart, will and power. Tyson would hit harder, but I donīt think he was stronger. Frazier had better stamina and tons of heart. Tyson would be to weak mentally to mix it up with Frazier.

kapersky
04-30-2005, 09:41 PM
I donīt think so. Frazier and Tyson was similar in size. Frazier was 5'11 and fought at aprox 205 lbs in his prime. Tyson was 5'11 and fought at aprox 210 in his prime. Not a big difference. So this would be decided on heart, will and power. Tyson would hit harder, but I donīt think he was stronger. Frazier had better stamina and tons of heart. Tyson would be to weak mentally to mix it up with Frazier.

still smaller and shorter, nobody(beside holyfield but those extra pounds from tyson was on his legs and you dont box with legs)who didnt had all those two benefit would got detroy by tyson. joe was a great fighter but he is not even close to a prime tyson.

Kid Achilles
04-30-2005, 09:54 PM
Frazier was taller and had a longer reach. And what do you mean you don't box with your legs? Leg strength is of huge importance in boxing. Kapersky you need to do more research. Tsk tsk tsk.

The_One77
05-01-2005, 06:32 AM
ok, here the real stats
Frazier and tyson were the same height, 5,11.
Frazier's prime weight was 205 pounds, while tyson's prime weight was 216 pounds.
Tyson would win because he was a very fast combination puncher with good accuracy, and tremendous power to knockout anyone out.
He was more aggresive than joe and could use both hands to knock someone out, thats why sometimes he turned southpaw.
Joe only really relied on his left hook and was pretty **** with his right, he wasn't great at combinations because he only threw one punch at a time while tyson threw 3 or 4 punches.
Mike tyson had tremendous handspeed and had a left hook just as good as joe's, he was explosive in his prime and very hard to hit.
Although mike tyson's chin wasn't the greatest neither was joe's.
In fact joe had an average chin, but great heart, if george foreman could knout out joe i'm pretty sure tyson could have done it as well.
Joe frazier was an awesome proven champion in his time but he was no mike tyson.

kapersky
05-01-2005, 07:37 AM
Frazier was taller and had a longer reach. And what do you mean you don't box with your legs? Leg strength is of huge importance in boxing. Kapersky you need to do more research. Tsk tsk tsk.

i mean basically joe is smaller than tyson. yes you need legs but those legs tyson had after rooney was untrained. look at holyfields legs its smaller than a average cruiserweight. he could weight 215pounds but still taller and bigger than tyson.

Illusion_R
05-01-2005, 08:02 AM
While Mike Tyson was probably the meanest fighter I have ever seen and overpowered most everyone in his prime, he lacked chin. Smokin Joe would have beat Tyson's body to a pulp and taken him out.

The_One77
05-01-2005, 08:26 AM
joe frazier also lacked chin, but both were very good body punchers.
i'd go with tyson in the body punching area

pug1986
05-01-2005, 08:08 PM
No way. Tyson was a two-fisted banger with better defensive ability and a better left hook imo. Frazier only had the hook. That combined with the handspeed and combinations, I say Mike would overwhelm Frazier in the first round. If he made it to the later rounds I think he'd beat Tyson though.

Ceratogyrus
05-02-2005, 05:31 AM
Tyson wins quickly. Frazier was vulnerable in the early rounds and I'm not just talking about Foreman, Bonavena had him down twice in round 2 of their fight. Prime Mike Tyson started faster than any other heavywieght ever.
If Joe could survive the initial onslaught for 4 rounds or so he wins but I just do not see that happening.

The Troll
05-02-2005, 08:25 AM

Tyson in prime condition is 216, and Mike Tyson has way superior skills and speed to Frazier, Tyson has a better chin, Frazier has more stamina and heart, but is to slow and less skilled to beat Tyson from 1988. Tyson would KO him, maybe in the mid rounds.

Everytime Tyson looses he weighs in at over 220 pounds

For all his comeback fights he weighed in 216 or 218 ect against McNeely,Bruno, Selden, Mathis Jr., but when he fought Holyfield he weighed in at 222. When he fought Douglas it was one of the first times I ever saw him weigh in at over 220.

kapersky
05-02-2005, 12:59 PM
Tyson in prime condition is 216, and Mike Tyson has way superior skills and speed to Frazier, Tyson has a better chin, Frazier has more stamina and heart, but is to slow and less skilled to beat Tyson from 1988. Tyson would KO him, maybe in the mid rounds.

Everytime Tyson looses he weighs in at over 220 pounds

For all his comeback fights he weighed in 216 or 218 ect against McNeely,Bruno, Selden, Mathis Jr., but when he fought Holyfield he weighed in at 222. When he fought Douglas it was one of the first times I ever saw him weigh in at over 220.

agree, what did foreman had that tysons prime didnt had?, tyson would overhemled frazier in those few rounds and eventually ko frazier.

Subwayboy
05-06-2005, 02:18 AM
im going with Tyson for sure

Imira
05-06-2005, 05:04 AM
Frazier KO 7.

Why in the world do people say Frazier had no chin? :confused: The only one who ever put him down for the count was Foreman. GEORGE FOREMAN. You need to understand something. Foreman is not just another puncher. This guy is a wrecking machine. Nobody, not Tyson, not Lewis not even Tua come anywhere close to this guy's punching power, so if this is the reasoning for your argument, you're way off base. Oscar Bonavena knocked Joe down once. The second knockdown was a push and if you've seen the fight,(which I doubt some of you have) you'd know it. Ali couldn't knock Frazier down, Manuel Ramos couldn't, Jerry Quarry couldn't. Are you going to tell me that none of them could hit? Bottom line is this, to knock Frazier out, you needed to be Foreman or you had to have a shotgun, plain and simple. And while I'll admit that Tyson has power, it just ain't in the same league as Foreman's and those who think otherwise are fooling themselves.

Sovoth
05-06-2005, 06:38 AM
I disagree with the statements above which questioned Tyson's chin. At his best, his capacity to take a punch was fantastic in my opinion (granted, his punch resistance has has deteriorated since his decline).

Bruno & Ruddock, both fearsome punchers, landed shots which would have put lesser heavyweights down. Douglas had to land a million shots to dispatch Tyson.

As to who would have won. I think it would be an exceptional and close fight for 4 or 5 rounds in the same vein as Hagler-Hearns but I think Tyson would come out on top but it would probably need the referee's intervention to save Frazier from himself.

The Troll
05-06-2005, 04:33 PM
Frazier only advantage over Tyson was he had tremendous stamina reminiscent of Marciano as he was a small plodder heavyweight, weighed in at like 208 usually. HIs only drawback was his chin, while not bad, it was not exactly cast in Iron either. If Holyfield could beat Tyson I think Frazier probably could. Its a pick em fight for me. If Frazier avoids taking too many bombs he will take the fight to Mike, the only way you can fight Mike is by taking it too him and Frazier would. And Frazier could bring it hard for 15 where Tyson cant bring it hard for 5.

The Troll
05-06-2005, 04:36 PM
I disagree with the statements above which questioned Tyson's chin. At his best, his capacity to take a punch was fantastic in my opinion (granted, his punch resistance has has deteriorated since his decline).

Bruno & Ruddock, both fearsome punchers, landed shots which would have put lesser heavyweights down. Douglas had to land a million shots to dispatch Tyson.

As to who would have won. I think it would be an exceptional and close fight for 4 or 5 rounds in the same vein as Hagler-Hearns but I think Tyson would come out on top but it would probably need the referee's intervention to save Frazier from himself.

Tyson has a pretty tremendous chin, I'd say top notch, definitely quite alot better than Fraziers.

The Troll
05-06-2005, 04:39 PM
Also Frazier had the ability to get off the canvas and go onto to win fights, something you cant say of Tyson.

Imira
05-07-2005, 06:10 AM
Tyson has a pretty tremendous chin, I'd say top notch, definitely quite alot better than Fraziers.

How is Tyson's chin "a lot" better than Frazier's? The same Tyson who was dropped by Buster Douglas? Or the same Tyson who was left helpless and punch drunk against the ropes against Holyfield? Tyson's chin is sturdy enough, but don't be so quick to dismiss Frazier based on his one loss to Foreman. I'd give Frazier the edge on chin based on the fact that he fought bigger punchers who possessed much more skill than Ruddock or Frank "The Punching Bag" Bruno.

GROCERYGETTERS
05-11-2005, 01:30 AM
Wow, there would be fireworks in this one. Smokin Joe had a huge heart. He beat Ali and even knocked him down with that famous left hook. Frazier deserves a ton of respect for even doing that. Tyson might detonate Frazier though the way Foreman did. It depends on who lands first and I wouldn't be surprised if Frazier wins by Kayo too in this slugfest.

dionysusolympus
05-11-2005, 09:18 AM
I think young Joe Frazier would tire Mike Tyson out with his focused body punching. I think Joe can easily get into Tyson's head more than Tyson into Joe's. As for the match itself, it will be a stalemate into Round 3. Round 4 to 6 Tyson would begin to tire. By Round 7, KO by Frazier...

EXIGE
05-11-2005, 10:18 AM
I love the Frazier punch which knocks Ali down in their first fight i think it was. If he could pull off **** like that he would destroy Tyson.

Tyson - 5 round wonder
Frazier - Defensive and full of stamina (Thrilla in Manilla)

However i have my doubts about Frazier after foreman knocked him down 6 times in 2 rounds. Overall a tyson win though.

The Troll
05-11-2005, 11:39 AM
I earlier said That Tyson was to fast and to skilled Frazier and hit too hard and Frazier had to bad of chin compared to Tyson. But I am changing my position to either Frazier by late TKO or Frazier by UD. Tyson would be out gas by 9th round at the latest even in his prime. Frazier would start to take the fight over by the 5th round with his conistantancy and just from throwing landing alot of punches. Frazier was not an unskilled fighter either he was olypmic medalist so he might have the defence to avoid taking one of Tyson's bombs.

Also Frazier did get knocked down alot and he if took a Tyson bomb he would go down but the man had amazing recuperating power and just plain stamina, and he would get up and keep getting up, too much for Tyson. Also Tyson would always looses fights against guys that bring it too him and dont ever back down no matter what and that exactly Fraziers style. Frazier would not back down from Tyson, he would bring it hard right at Tyson no matter what Tyson did for 12 rounds. Frazier by late TKO or UD.

great fantasy matchup would be Frazier at 208 vs Holyfield 1991 or 1992 . I would pick Holyfield by UD, but it would be an amazing fight both guys would fight so hard it would just unbelieveable and they were both small with alot stamina, Frazier probably had a liittle bit better stamina, but it would be amazing fight and a total war.

Also Frazier vs Dwight Quawi at 208 or 200 pounds would be interesting. They both have a similar style and endless stamina. Frazier is naturally bigger and hits harder but Quawi had a very good chin, and just like Frazier never backed down always was coming forward.

M26
05-11-2005, 01:01 PM
I earlier said That Tyson was to fast and to skilled Frazier and hit too hard and Frazier had to bad of chin compared to Tyson. But I am changing my position to either Frazier by late TKO or Frazier by UD. Tyson would be out gas by 9th round at the latest even in his prime. Frazier would start to take the fight over by the 5th round with his conistantancy and just from throwing landing alot of punches. Frazier was not an unskilled fighter either he was olypmic medalist so he might have the defence to avoid taking one of Tyson's bombs.

Also Frazier did get knocked down alot and he if took a Tyson bomb he would go down but the man had amazing recuperating power and just plain stamina, and he would get up and keep getting up, too much for Tyson. Also Tyson would always looses fights against guys that bring it too him and dont ever back down no matter what and that exactly Fraziers style. Frazier would not back down from Tyson, he would bring it hard right at Tyson no matter what Tyson did for 12 rounds. Frazier by late TKO or UD.

great fantasy matchup would be Frazier at 208 vs Holyfield 1991 or 1992 . I would pick Holyfield by UD, but it would be an amazing fight both guys would fight so hard it would just unbelieveable and they were both small with alot stamina, Frazier probably had a liittle bit better stamina, but it would be amazing fight and a total war.

Also Frazier vs Dwight Quawi at 208 or 200 pounds would be interesting. They both have a similar style and endless stamina. Frazier is naturally bigger and hits harder but Quawi had a very good chin, and just like Frazier never backed down always was coming forward.

I agree with you in that Frazier would beat Tyson. But when it comes to Holyfield, I think Frazier would win here also. I see him giving Holyfield hell, just like he did with Ali. Frazier by UD. A good fight though!

paul750
05-11-2005, 01:15 PM
one thing is almost sure, tyson would not knock frazier out cold, but he may however win because of unanswered punches, i do think he had a lot more heart than tyson, and if he is still in it after the first few rounds and is connecting with some of those left hooks, i think it would come down to who wants it more, and if it came to that frazier would win

Subwayboy
05-12-2005, 03:19 AM
Tyson all the way, just becasue i like him more

Imira
05-12-2005, 05:46 AM
Ok, can we please dispel the myth about Tyson's awesome punching ability? Tyson's biggest KOs were against 3rd tier fighters or two washed up greats. Tyson's punching power isn't anywhere near Foreman's. If it were then he would have had no trouble knocking out Douglas, who had a rather weak chin himself. Tyson's punch would NEVER be enough to KO a prime Frazier.

I know you all love Tyson, but I just don't see a guy who lost to a lesser fighter (while in his prime) and never beat a great fighter (while in his prime) stands a chance against Frazier. Frazier has been tested and unless you are trying to be ignorant, you know that Tyson, in his prime, really wasn't. He may have KOd some names, but when he met an opponent with actual skill, he failed. Miserably.

Frazier KO 7.

dangerousity
05-12-2005, 01:03 PM
let's face it joe frazier has never fought a boxer who's as fast and accurate as mike tyson, there is a high possibility that he would be overwhelmed in the early rounds. But even if mike didn't beat him in the early rounds he could easily go the dsitance, if fact when he was in his prime he actually enjoyed it.
Both fighters fought tough opponents but mike has the better record, he beat
Andrew Golota, Tony tucker, larry holmes, michael spinks,Pinklon Thomas, frank bruno twice, Donavon (Razor) Ruddock twice, and destroyed his son Marvis Frazier.

Joe frazier beat,
Jerry quarry twice, muhammad ali, jerry quarry, bob foster.
Oh yeah, and jimmy ellis.

Joe frazier has a bigger heart but imo has little chance of beating a focused prime tyson.

M26
05-13-2005, 09:02 AM
let's face it joe frazier has never fought a boxer who's as fast and accurate as mike tyson, there is a high possibility that he would be overwhelmed in the early rounds. But even if mike didn't beat him in the early rounds he could easily go the dsitance, if fact when he was in his prime he actually enjoyed it.
Andrew Golota, Tony tucker, larry holmes, michael spinks,Pinklon Thomas, frank bruno twice, Donavon (Razor) Ruddock twice, and destroyed his son Marvis Frazier.

Joe frazier beat,

Joe frazier has a bigger heart but imo has little chance of beating a focused prime tyson.

No way in hell does Tyson have a chance of going the distance against Joe Frazier! His only chance would be to take Frazier out early, and this could possibly happen. How ever, my money would be on Frazier. Frazier was relentless and had a good punch. Tyson, with his lacking heart, would be in for some good old whuppinī.

You point out that Tyson "enjoyed" going the distance? This is something Tyson once said in a postfight interview, I think it was after facing Green.... Well, going 12-15 against Joe Frazier would be something completely different.

Frazier takes out Tyson.

Subwayboy
05-15-2005, 04:06 AM
TYSON!!!!
becasue i like him

Imira
05-16-2005, 03:12 AM

Joe frazier beat,

Are you seriously telling me that Frazier's victories over Quarry and Ali are not as good as Tyson's victories over Bruno, Ruddock and the rest of the losers on his record?! I know that everyone is entitled to their own opinion, and I respect that, but what you're saying is so wrought with ignorance of Frazier's competition it's just plain scary. I can assure you that Ali, Quarry, Foster, Bonavena, Mathis and Ellis would murder any of the tomato cans on Tyson's record. I'd bet anything on that. Also, who has the better record if only TWO hall of fame boxers can claim victory over Frazier while Tyson was KOd by two journeymen, one mediocre heavyweight and only one true great? I totally disagree with you on this one.

The_One77
05-20-2005, 04:32 PM
That's the great thing about boxing, without it boxing disscusins would be boring.:)

The_One77
05-23-2005, 06:28 PM
what do u mean by one true great? Lennox lewis and evander holyfield are both great heavyweight champions.
Jimmy ellis and the overweight buster mathis could not have defeated tyson's opposition, no way! Tyson's opposition were bigger, stronger and harder puncher than the likes of jimmy ellis and buster mathis.
Jerry quarry looked like your typical bum when he fought ali, it was a total mismatch.

Imira
06-26-2005, 11:53 PM
That's the great thing about boxing, without it boxing disscusins would be boring.
True. As long as there's no name calling and childish crap. :D

what do u mean by one true great? Lennox lewis and evander holyfield are both great heavyweight champions.
No, Lennox Lewis has the makings of a great champion, but I don't give him a chance in hell against a prime Tyson. Add to the fact that he turned in lackluster performances against Tua, Rahman and McCall, (three very average fighters) while in his PRIME and there went his "all-time great" ranking, in my opinion.

Jerry quarry looked like your typical bum when he fought ali, it was a total mismatch.
It was a total mismatch because Ali was so much better. You don't need me to tell you that Quarry, on his best day would give Bruno, Tubbs or Douglas a sound fist beating. Tyson defeated a good majority of his opponents mainly because they were so much worse.

Tyson's opposition were bigger, stronger and harder puncher than the likes of jimmy ellis and buster mathis.
This is your opinion, but I really don't think you have a clear enough picture of Frazier's entire career or his opponents. You fail to mention that Frazier fought and defeated every opponent that he was supposed to. He never lost to Ron Stander, Jimmy Ellis or Buster Mathis. That's more than I can say for Tyson. Remember, it took Ali and Foreman to defeat Frazier in his prime. Tyson got his title stripped by Douglas and was KOd by Holyfield, who's not a big puncher.

Skydog
07-15-2005, 11:27 PM
joe frazier also lacked chin, but both were very good body punchers.
i'd go with tyson in the body punching area

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH. Funniest post I've seen all day.

Pinoy_Texan
07-17-2005, 04:36 AM
Double KO. Both by a leaping left hook :D

BigIppoFireworks
07-17-2005, 05:31 AM
JOE has the edge...

I mean both have the punching power, but I think Joe has a little more stamina... you saw how Tyson got exposed by Bustaa...

I think Frazier would knock him out in the later rounds soon after tyson's side to side movements end.

realheavyhands
06-13-2007, 12:52 AM
Fraizer Hit Harder But Tyson Was Faster And Hit With Both Hands

Underboss
06-13-2007, 02:56 AM
tyson...................

sleazyfellow
06-16-2007, 01:15 AM
tyson would win....this has been debated before, and everyone agrees that tyson=fast starter and frazier=slow starter. I think frazier is the best body punching heavyweight of all time, tyson is good at that too but he didnt stick with it like frazier did.

res
06-16-2007, 03:52 AM
Fraizer only has the left hook as a power punch, that is all Tyson would really have to look out for. Frazier's chin is inferior to Tyson. Frazier is right there to hit. Someone said that Tyson dosen't have to heart to exchange with Fraizer? lol Did Foreman exchange with frazier? In an early knockout there isn't too much of an exchange, that is the point. What is worse is that Tyson is a far quicker and more accurate puncher than Foreman...how can anyone think that Frazier takes this.

McGrain
06-16-2007, 12:02 PM
Tyson wins quickly. Frazier was vulnerable in the early rounds and I'm not just talking about Foreman, Bonavena had him down twice in round 2 of their fight. Prime Mike Tyson started faster than any other heavywieght ever.
If Joe could survive the initial onslaught for 4 rounds or so he wins but I just do not see that happening.

This is about where I stand. Frazier is the slowest sarter of all modern heavyweight champs, Tyson is the fastest starter of all heavyweight champs. It's just a bad match up for Joe. I can't imagine a situation where Frazier doesn't get hurt pretty bad in the first two rounds and Tyson is a lethal finisher. Best ever in the divisions history in terms of finishing? Possibly. I actually have Frazier higher than Tyson on my all time list, but this is a bad match up for Joe.

Kayjay's Ghost
06-16-2007, 12:05 PM
Joe takes him out late

Kayjay's Ghost
06-16-2007, 12:06 PM
Fraizer only has the left hook as a power punch, that is all Tyson would really have to look out for. Frazier's chin is inferior to Tyson. Frazier is right there to hit. Someone said that Tyson dosen't have to heart to exchange with Fraizer? lol Did Foreman exchange with frazier? In an early knockout there isn't too much of an exchange, that is the point. What is worse is that Tyson is a far quicker and more accurate puncher than Foreman...how can anyone think that Frazier takes this.

:ugh: :ugh:

phallus
06-16-2007, 12:15 PM

actually foreman did exchange with frazier, not for very long though. smokin joe tried to stand toe to toe with big george and trade shots. u can't really compare big george to tython. bite doesn't hit as hard as fo'man but his hands are much faster. foreman had to knock frazier down several times to get rid of him. tython would knock joe down several times in the early rounds, but if joe can get past 5, he has a chance of stopping bite late with the left hook.