View Full Version : Lewis stuns Tyson for famous win

Dynamite Kid
01-07-2010, 12:17 PM
Lennox Lewis recorded a superb victory over Mike Tyson to retain his world heavyweight boxing crown in Memphis on Saturday.

The British fighter won their long-awaited title bout with a stoppage in round eight.

Full fight report from our man in Memphis

Lewis produced his best form to see off the former champion and in doing so confirmed his status as one of the great modern heavyweights.

Lennox Lewis has his face wiped by his mother Violet
Lewis' mother Violet congratulates the champion
He finished the contest two minutes and 25 seconds into the eighth with a withering right hook that put Tyson flat on his back.

Fears that the fight could descend into the kind of ugly scenes that have dogged Tyson's career proved unfounded.

Instead the event provided a timely boost for a beleaguered sport, with the boxers trading compliments after an enthralling and sporting contest.

He was splendid, a masterful boxer - I take my hat off to him
Mike Tyson on Lennox Lewis
The victory ranks as arguably the finest moment in Lewis' long career.

And it will go a long way to silencing his critics - particularly in the US, where the 36-year-old has sometimes struggled for recognition.

"This completed my legacy," Lewis proclaimed immediately after his win.

"I wanted to prove I was the best boxer in the world, on the planet.

"Nobody gets away from my jab."

Mike Tyson is counted out by referee Eddie Cotton
Tyson was felled by huge punch
Lewis was on top throughout the fight and, after being docked a point for pushing Tyson to the canvas at the end of round four, he then twice floored the challenger in the eighth.

First he landed with a left uppercut and, altough Tyson survived the first count, Lewis finished the job with a huge right.

Tyson, condemned in many quarters for his behaviour in and out of the ring, was magnanimous in defeat.

Round-by-round action

"I have love and respect for Lennox," Tyson said.

"He's a magnificent fighter - and I'd love for him to give me another shot (at the title)."

Lewis paid tribute to Tyson's ability to withstand intense pressure for so long.

"Some of those punches I hit him with on the right-hand side, he took them like a man - I was shocked he was able to take them."

It was the first time the two boxers, who have dominated the division in recent years, had met in the ring - but the fight nearly never happened.

Watch a round-up of the fight

Tyson had his boxing licence revoked by the Nevada State Commission after he sparked a brawl at a news conference.

Memphis was later chosen as an alternative venue.

Dynamite Kid
01-07-2010, 12:20 PM
http://www.bbc.co.uk/london/content/images/2007/11/28/lewis_tyson_470x341.jpg

http://www.profibox.hu/images/vok/Lennox%20Lewis/Lewis_Tyson_400_240.jpg

http://www.washingtoninformer.com/wk%20of%20June%2013/A1-Tyson%20TKO%20Defeat%206-16-05.JPG

http://img315.imageshack.us/i/01020376030000ws.jpg/

Yaman
01-07-2010, 12:34 PM
Maybe I should do a similar thread for Terry Norris.

S H O B O X
01-07-2010, 12:47 PM
tyson said a lot of unsavoury things in the build up to the fight e.g. eating lewis' children but i remember watching post fight footage of tyson with lewis in his locker room holding and playing with lewis' new born baby , pretty good stuff

Dynamite Kid
01-07-2010, 01:05 PM
Maybe I should do a similar thread for Terry Norris.

Im a Lennox Lewis nuthugger, thanx.

Chunk..
01-07-2010, 01:10 PM
Lennox Lewis gives any Heavyweight of any era a good run for there money. His height and reach coupled with his great boxing ability would give any ATG Heavyweight fits.

donkim
01-07-2010, 02:53 PM
The Dynamite kid shamefully claims that he is a Lennox Lewis nuthugger and yet he includes a picture of Tyson's fight with Kevin Mcbride.

Looks like an excuse to bash Mike Tyson if you ask me.

tyson said a lot of unsavoury things in the build up to the fight e.g. eating lewis' children but i remember watching post fight footage of tyson with lewis in his locker room holding and playing with lewis' new born baby , pretty good stuff

Lennox didn't even have children at the time.Tyson was holding his own child in his arms in his dressing room.

billionaire
01-07-2010, 08:18 PM
lol at the mcbride pic what a fool....how did he stun tyson, i didnt even really watch boxing at the time and i bet on lennox to win......

Yaman
01-07-2010, 09:06 PM
Dynamite is definitely the most pathetic Tyson hater in this forum. He just can't seem to let it go.