View Full Version : Was Prince Naseem past his prime against Barrera?

Rocker
01-06-2010, 04:48 PM
Yes or no?

Smokin'J
01-06-2010, 05:15 PM
i don't know but what i know is he was past boxing itself

project xxx1
01-06-2010, 05:27 PM
the day hamed turned his back on brendle ingle he went downhill,barrera just got him at the right time,he wasnt past his prime but he got too big for his boots the day he walked on brenden and never performed to his peak again

John Hue
01-06-2010, 05:52 PM
Yes or no?

No not physically but mentally he was performing like a jack ass . Not training properly and believing his natural talent would be enough. He got so far up his own arse he set himself up for a massive fall. Getting rid of Brendon Ingle and surrounding himself with klingons did him no favors. Look at this video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ouIoMJWEDw&feature=related

it is part of the The Little Prince, The Big Fight series on Youtube which was made just prior to the Barrera fight to document the build up. It is a complete joke but shows what a fool he was going into the biggest fight of his career. .

BennyST
01-06-2010, 06:24 PM
Is Mayweather past it now? If he lost to Pac would that mean he is past his prime?

That's the same thing with Hamed. He was undefeated and at his peak age. He may not have performed the best he ever did, but I don't think it would have mattered how good he showed up. He would have lost.

donkim
01-06-2010, 06:33 PM
Is Mayweather past it now? If he lost to Pac would that mean he is past his prime?

Mayweather is arguably past his prime.there is a great misconception about athlete's being past their prime.People generally regarded being past prime as being old,shot and useless.

When an athlete struggles or isn't able to perorm to the standard that he set at his very peak,then he is past his prime.

I don't see Mayweather being as good as he was five years ago.

One more round
01-06-2010, 06:36 PM
Naseem didn't have the fundamentals to beat a guy like MAB.

Like I said in another thread, if you brawl with a guy who has Hamed's speed and power you will get KTFO, if you hang back, stay stationary and don't work or get intimidated you get beaten to the punch every time. Key is to keep him turning so hecan't get set to load up those big shots, take advantage of the fact he doesn't have great technique, catch him off balance when he misses, outbox him.

If he fought MAB 4-5 years earlier-same result.

Is it a coincidence the first time Naseem started looking human was when he fought a decent albeit over the hill fighter in Kevin Kelley? No, Kelley was the first guy he fought who was able to make him pay for his stupid mistakes, but luckily Naseem's natural power got him out of that one.

Dynamite Kid
01-06-2010, 06:55 PM
It always comes back to the same thing with me, how does Hamed overcome the stylistic problems he had in the fight? they dont suddenly disappear because he is in his so called prime.

BTW if Hamed had not take training that seriously then how come he wasn't blowing in the fight?

Hamed got hit more and more as he moved up in class, when he fought an elite fighter, the only elite fighter he ever fought, he lost.

GJC
01-06-2010, 06:57 PM

Got it in one.

Dynamite Kid
01-06-2010, 07:04 PM

Like I said in another thread, if you brawl with a guy who has Hamed's speed and power you will get KTFO, if you hang back, stay stationary and don't work or get intimidated you get beaten to the punch every time. Key is to keep him turning so hecan't get set to load up those big shots, take advantage of the fact he doesn't have great technique, catch him off balance when he misses, outbox him.

If he fought MAB 4-5 years earlier-same result.

Is it a coincidence the first time Naseem started looking human was when he fought a decent albeit over the hill fighter in Kevin Kelley? No, Kelley was the first guy he fought who was able to make him pay for his stupid mistakes, but luckily Naseem's natural power got him out of that one.

Precisely.

Kelly was never that good to begin (he had loads of heart)with but he still picked holes in Hamed's technique.

Hamed suffers from what all Ingle fighters suffer from, they are strictly counter punchers where by if you dont lead to them and give them opportunity's to counter they cant set up their own attacks,they dont have the basic fundamentals like a jab etc, what happens is they leave themselves open and off balance because setting up there own offence is alien to them.

Most people dont realize that one of Barrera's strategies was to make Hamed take the lead in the fight.

The_Demon
01-06-2010, 07:10 PM
yes he was

DeepSleep
01-06-2010, 08:12 PM
He was in his prime, a good fighter fought an excellent fighter and lost. Nas had all the skills in the world and wasted them horribly by not learning how to box and fighting bad competition. It's a shame because with his speed/reflexes/power he could have been a really good boxer.

Bigdaddy_Vh
01-06-2010, 08:26 PM
i tend to agree that he was stupid for leaving Ingle. I think he was in his prime but just lost to a better fighter. I dont know if Ingle could have helped Hamed beat Barerra but he would have certainly helped him do better. Hamed thought he was better naturally than he really was.

The Noose
01-06-2010, 10:38 PM
The question isnt about style, its about whether he had declined as a fighter over the years.

I think he had. He wasnt focused or training properly, therefore he wasnt as good as he used to be. He relied too much on power.

Just becuase Barrera would of beaten him in his prime, doesnt stop the fact Hamed had declined.

Prime isnt just about age and physical ability, its also very much about mentality.

boxing_great
01-07-2010, 04:27 AM
Mayweather is arguably past his prime.there is a great misconception about athlete's being past their prime.People generally regarded being past prime as being old,shot and useless.

When an athlete struggles or isn't able to perorm to the standard that he set at his very peak,then he is past his prime.

there is no way you can accurately measure a fighters' absolute peak..
How can you measure it???It's impossible

Silencers
01-07-2010, 04:33 AM
Physically I don't think so but he wasn't the same after he left the Ingles.

BennyST
01-07-2010, 04:58 AM

Hold on? Aren't you the guy that's always *****ing about the supposed Duran 'apologists'? If you say that Mayweather isn't in his prime anymore because he has very slightly slowed down after moving up in weight and maybe stopped throwing the same combinations, which is also due to moving up and facing bigger guys, and that Hamed was passed it, but you then bag out guys that say Duran was past it from the point that he had the second Leonard fight and afterward because he simply didn't fight and train as well....

How is that so? You are contradicting yourself. That would then mean you agree with all those people you **** on constantly. You are always ranting that people make excuses when all they say is that he went downhill and wasn't as good, and then you come back saying stupid **** like "You're just a Duran apologist! He lost to a bum like Robbie Simms and Kirkland Laing! He was still prime and only 32!" or whatever.

Man, get some perspective.

There is a difference between slowing down to the point where you lost a lot of what made you so great, as in Duran from the Leonard II onward, and still looking super sharp, still being undefeated and fighting very close to the top of your game.

If Duran, like Mayweather, slowed down after moving up in weight to 147, which he noticeably did (much more than Mayweather has) then that means he was already past his prime according to you as he was better at 135 and fought better. Interesting. I like your thinking. :dunce:

:lol1:

bojangles1987
01-07-2010, 10:39 AM
Hamed was bored and full of himself. That's why he retired soon after.

tanibanana
01-08-2010, 09:12 AM
Naz was not at his best that time,
but definitely he was still in his prime..

baya
01-08-2010, 09:15 AM
Man, hamed was at the pinnacle of his career when he fought MAB.

MAB just shocked the entire world in that fight, forever cementing himself as a great.

sonnyboyx2
01-08-2010, 10:42 AM
Hamed was finished by the time he fought Barrera.. if the fight had taken place 2yrs earlier Hamed would have KOd him in 6rds

jkaisen41
01-09-2010, 10:52 AM
Yes or no?

I don't think so... Barrera arguably was in more battles prior to the fight then Hamed so you can make that case either way.

I always liked Hamed and think he would have given almost all fighters problems but lack of fundamentals will always catch up with you. Hamed was a special athlete... and with great athletism, reflexes and power you can beat a lot of ppl... but if you meet a guy with decent athletism, sharp reflexes and boxing skills... the latter one will win in most cases... that's why boxing is an art...

This is also why I always laugh at guys who are sure that a Mosley or Pacquiao would beat Mayweather because they have speed... to match Floyd's speed isn't enough to beat him... he is fundamentally sound... unlike guys like Hamed or even Roy Jones for that matter...