View Full Version : Signature moves

Dynamite Kid
01-04-2010, 03:41 PM
Signature moves of particular fighter, what are they?

I always loved Ray Leonard's double jab right hand, some might argue it was not his signature punch but to me it was.

Holyfield used to do this move when he would take a half step back away from a punch and explode the right hand over the top he did it against Douglas & Tyson.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/6Oj32UTRglU&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/6Oj32UTRglU&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/4iZ0Mj8VgPs&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/4iZ0Mj8VgPs&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Whats yours??????

sonnyboyx2
01-04-2010, 03:45 PM
Mike Tysons left-hook big right-hook as his opponent came to clinch

Dynamite Kid
01-04-2010, 03:50 PM
Mike Tysons left-hook big right-hook as his opponent came to clinch

Yeah. People tend to disagree a lot over this, not me, some people see his right hook to the body right uppercut as his signature move and some say it as you said.

1SILVA
01-04-2010, 05:44 PM
Signature moves of particular fighter, what are they?

I always loved Ray Leonard's double jab right hand, some might argue it was not his signature punch but to me it was.

Holyfield used to do this move when he would take a half step back away from a punch and explode the right hand over the top he did it against Douglas & Tyson.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/6Oj32UTRglU&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/6Oj32UTRglU&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/4iZ0Mj8VgPs&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/4iZ0Mj8VgPs&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Whats yours??????

Thomas Hearns-Left jab, Right Cross
Larry Holmes-Left Jab
Joe Frazier-Left Hook
Roy Jones-Leaping Left Hook or Right Cross
Alexis Arguello-Right Cross, Left Uppercut

Dynamite Kid
01-04-2010, 05:48 PM
Thomas Hearns-Left jab, Right Cross
Larry Holmes-Left Jab
Joe Frazier-Left Hook
Roy Jones-Leaping Left Hook or Right Cross
Alexis Arguello-Right Cross, Left Uppercut

That was a beauty.

Jones also used to do this move, and i have seen Ray Leonard use it aswell, he would throw a 1 2 then instantaneously after throwing the right he would half step to his right (get off the shoulder)and start trippling the left hook, beautiful move.

Sugarj
01-04-2010, 06:48 PM
Tyson's right to the body followed by right uppercut to the head.....lethal! Ask Frank Bruno.

Ali's shuffle.

Walcott's shift.

Robinson's left hook combos.

Leonard's bolo right followed by left jab.

Mosley's straight right / cum hook thrown with his eyes shut!!

Max Baer adjusting his trunk lining! Watch out for this, he did it alot.

Naseem Hamed's corkscrew right uppercut.

Floyd Mayweather's shoulder roll.

Kid Gavilan's Bolo punch.

De La Hoya's '45 punch'

Hell theres a few!!!

Rocker
01-04-2010, 07:04 PM
Ali's shuffle and Ray Leonard's bolo punch.

Bigdaddy_Vh
01-04-2010, 07:25 PM
Ruddocks "Smash"

JAB5239
01-05-2010, 04:01 AM
Kid McCoy's "corkscrew" punch.

JAB5239
01-05-2010, 04:03 AM
Ruddocks "Smash"

Ruddock hitting Dokes the second time with the "smash" and knocking him out was just brutal!

sleazyfellow
01-05-2010, 04:34 AM
Beau Jacks bolo punch

Floyd Pattersons leaping left hook.

JAB5239
01-05-2010, 04:42 AM
The Spinks "jinx".

Dynamite Kid
01-05-2010, 04:48 AM
The dipsy doo.............Sweet Pea.

JAB5239
01-05-2010, 04:51 AM
The dipsy doo.............Sweet Pea.

Lol,I don't remember this. Was it an actual move by Pea?

Silencers
01-05-2010, 05:10 AM
Lol,I don't remember this. Was it an actual move by Pea?

Yeah, it's where Pea would duck all the way down into an almost squatting position to get away from punches.

Alexis Arguello used to throw a great right uppercut to the body/right cross combination.

Mike McCallum was great at rolling his shoulder back and countering with a right uppercut right into the solar plexus.

Joe Brown used to be able to pivot his body to throw his left hook, hard to describe but it was a nice move.

Jersey Joe's Walcott Waltz.

Marlon Starling's Starling Stomp. :lol1:

One more round
01-05-2010, 05:47 AM
the Valuev shuffle

talip bin osman
01-05-2010, 05:55 AM
micky ward's left hook to the liver has gotta be it for me...

Dynamite Kid
01-05-2010, 06:26 AM
Yeah, it's where Pea would duck all the way down into an almost squatting position to get away from punches.

Alexis Arguello used to throw a great right uppercut to the body/right cross combination.

Mike McCallum was great at rolling his shoulder back and countering with a right uppercut right into the solar plexus.

Joe Brown used to be able to pivot his body to throw his left hook, hard to describe but it was a nice move.

Jersey Joe's Walcott Waltz.

Marlon Starling's Starling Stomp. :lol1:

Yeah thats it Silencer. :boxing:

Love these two. Arguello's uppercut to the belly was lethal wasn't it?

Also i seem to recall Duran favouring that roll of the shoulder and then countering to the stomach.

Dynamite Kid
01-05-2010, 06:34 AM
I dont know if anyone can understand what im talking about but Tommy Hearns used to do this move where by he would move away from the opponent and when they came foward and reached with the jab he would pat it down with the right hand then shoot a counter right hand, it was a terrific move, infact James Toney used to use it from time to time aswell, being that he was also from Detroit im guessing he might have been a bit of a Hearns fan so he could of picked it up off of Hearns.

Silencers
01-05-2010, 07:09 AM
Yeah thats it Silencer. :boxing:

Love these two. Arguello's uppercut to the belly was lethal wasn't it?

Also i seem to recall Duran favouring that roll of the shoulder and then countering to the stomach.

Yeah, Arguello's uppercut/cross combination used to almost always work, I don't think I've ever seen anyone use that combination as effectively.

Duran did it very, very well too, Archie Moore used to do it to great effect.

dde91
01-05-2010, 07:14 AM
Holyfields headbutt
Ali Shuffle
Executioner entrance
Pavliks double ****in jab then right

Dynamite Kid
01-05-2010, 07:20 AM
Yeah, Arguello's uppercut/cross combination used to almost always work, I don't think I've ever seen anyone use that combination as effectively.

Duran did it very, very well too, Archie Moore used to do it to great effect.

100% agree, when Arguello got you on them ropes he would hammer his opponent with that combo.

I saw Moore do a move against Durelle where by he would bend to his left from the waist then come back up top with a left hook, i dont know if it was a signature move but he did it effectively, cant remember if he doubled the left hook to the body before coming back up top but it was nice move.

BennyST
01-05-2010, 09:34 AM
Tyson's right to the body followed by right uppercut to the head.....lethal! Ask Frank Bruno.

Ali's shuffle.

Walcott's shift.

De La Hoya's '45 punch'

Hell theres a few!!!

Damn you! Beat me to it.

Don't forget Razor Ruddocks 'smash'!

I think those two are very signature. Mayweather and his shoulder roll isn't what you would call a signature as it has been by a million fighters before and some just as well, if not better.

Then Leonard and his bolo was just a straight up rip off of Gavilan. Still, certain people get known for certain things, but the originators is where it's at.

Nonetheless, there are fighters that have a punch or combo they use over and over their whole career with great success. Toney is another one: His counter right off the roll is classic and has been used from day one at MW to the current period at HW with amazing success.

Great list though man. Frazier's left hook is another. Nearly the only punch he threw sometimes. :lol1:

BennyST
01-05-2010, 09:39 AM
Ruddocks "Smash"

Damn it! Beat me to it again!

All you bastards beating me to everything! :lol1:

I saw the counter right to the body being talked about. What a stunning punch! Futch taught that to all his fighters. Some used it so perfectly it was just poetry to watch. The best I've seen were McCallum and Duran. They used it in such natural rhythm and with such force. Arguello was also brilliant, as Kid had already talked about.

Good thread. :fing02:

BennyST
01-05-2010, 09:42 AM
Holyfields headbutt
Ali Shuffle
Executioner entrance
Pavliks double ****in jab then right

"Double and then triple the fookin' jab! Triple and then quadruple the fookin jab! Quadruple and quintuple the fookin jab! Just throw it non stop without any pause!"

Jack Loew :nonono:

Silencers
01-05-2010, 12:18 PM
Orlando Canizales' footwork was signature IMO, the way he skipped around, moved right to left to set up his punches, in and out to move into and out of range. It was great stuff.

Bigdaddy_Vh
01-05-2010, 12:33 PM
"Double and then triple the fookin' jab! Triple and then quadruple the fookin jab! Quadruple and quintuple the fookin jab! Just throw it non stop without any pause!"

Jack Loew :nonono:

ha, he could have jabbed until his fist fell off that night. wasnt gettin him anywhere.

HaglerSteelChin
01-09-2010, 01:28 AM
A couple more George Foreman Cross arm defense and Wajima's frog jump uppercut.

American Dream
01-09-2010, 12:03 PM

Ali's shuffle.

Walcott's shift.

De La Hoya's '45 punch'

Hell theres a few!!!

I would cringe everytime he did that..hoping the other fighter wouldnt take advantage of his eyes being closed..and catch him.

American Dream
01-09-2010, 12:09 PM
Pernell Whitaker-he would "up and down" his opponent making them miss..get down to knee level with incredible head movement, calmy stand back up and walk(with a skip) the opposite direction..Love it!

NChristo
03-22-2010, 08:04 AM
Pattersons "Gazelle Punch"
Emanuel Augustus' AMAZING dancing skills

Trenchant
03-23-2010, 03:17 AM
Morales' Straight right to the body also he almost always would do that thing with his arms where he would hold his arms down at his sides and then lift his gloves out a little as if to say "let's go", "is that all you got", usually it was after he's been hit by a big punch or combo to the dome.
Kostya Tszyu's heat seeker right hand after the range finder would find the target. "this however did not work well against Vince Phillips who actually jabbed and had equal power in his right".But I loved Tszyu's quick straight right.

check hook
03-24-2010, 10:10 AM
Yeah. People tend to disagree a lot over this, not me, some people see his right hook to the body right uppercut as his signature move and some say it as you said.

he had plenty of sig moves...but the right hook into right upper would have to be the best considering Tyson is a converted southpaw.....Tyson used to throw some wicked combos....and the uppercuts would finish very high....perfect technique.....

wmute
03-24-2010, 10:48 AM
I feel like mentioning Hopkins.

1) slip jab and come back with headbutt

2) right hand and grab

i love these, because he can still pull them off at his age.

Some of the things you guy mention are things of beauty, so I felt like mentioning a couple of not as pretty moves.

oaklandstephen
03-25-2010, 05:35 AM
roy jones triple left hook !!

The Beatles
03-25-2010, 05:43 AM
Tyson Fury - Lethal Self Inflicting Uppercut

mickey malone
03-25-2010, 09:49 AM
Ali's rope a dope and peek a boo
Foreman's left uppercut (like a JCB bucket scooping out a ditch)
Lewis's overhand right
Louis's four punch combo
Shavers right hook
Camacho running backwards faster than most people can run forwards
Hearns moving his knees like pistons as he waits for bell
Chris Eubank posturing like a Pea**** in the middle of fights
Joe Frazier's loud grunting when he threw punches (Marvis was even louder!)
George Chuvalo's head down and keep pummelling (Ali called him the washer woman)

Has anyone ever seen the peculiar demonstration given by Howard Eastman after he wins a fight? Those familiar with the Monte Python sketches, would liken it to the Ministry of silly walks..

BigStereotype
03-25-2010, 07:12 PM
Naseem Hamed's corkscrew left hand
The Ali shuffle (duh)
JMM's brutal counter right hook
Hatton's diving left hook
Sugar Ray Leonard's bolo jab
Roy Jones' diving hook
Joe Frazier's rising left hook hook
Emmanuel Augustus' entire boxing career

NChristo
03-29-2010, 08:15 PM
My personal favorite, n one which noone seems to have mentioned :P
Monzon's 1 - 2

TOBYLEE1
03-29-2010, 09:18 PM
-Micky Ward left hook to the body a true weapon

-James Page from the orthodox side right jab followed by a strong left, very sneaky

-Tzsyu range finder left and he used to turn it into a strong hook while holding it out

-Every punch thrown by Finito Lopez, text book stuff

-Bowe's jab

-Ruela Brothers uppercuts