View Full Version : The Most Complete Fighter?

Joey Giardello
01-02-2010, 12:58 PM
For me its charley burley, the man could punch, great defence, good attack, good chin, good stamina, heart was never questioned, could fight most styles and never avoided any one

Wiirdo
01-02-2010, 01:16 PM
Hagler. He could box and brawl southpaw and orthodox equally well. Very good power, good speed, absolutely amazing chin and great heart.

Just an awesome fighter.

sonnyboyx2
01-02-2010, 01:27 PM
For me its charley burley, the man could punch, great defence, good attack, good chin, good stamina, heart was never questioned, could fight most styles and never avoided any one

i take it that you have seen lots of fights of Burley to make this statement ?

Joey Giardello
01-02-2010, 01:36 PM

No just the one fight against smith, but i havent seen nothing of harry greb, but evey one knows he was a windmil fighter with a good chin and big heart and a great middleweight. You can rate fighters with out seeing alot of footage! have you ever heard of books and ring side reports?

Joey Giardello
01-02-2010, 01:39 PM
Hagler. He could box and brawl southpaw and orthodox equally well. Very good power, good speed, absolutely amazing chin and great heart.

Just an awesome fighter.

good choice but hagler could never really handle fighters who liked to move and use the ring, such as sugar ray, boogalo wats, willie monroe

cotto16
01-02-2010, 02:04 PM

are you for real! no one has seen anything of harry greb! but he is rated as one of the best fighters ever, thats just of old news paper article's and the few old grey beards who actuaslly seen him fight

Junito-Rulez
01-02-2010, 05:49 PM
James Toney, Michael Nunn, Lennox Lewis and Wilfredo Gomez.

Joey Giardello
01-02-2010, 06:22 PM
James Toney, Michael Nunn, Lennox Lewis and Wilfredo Gomez.

michael nunn and lennox lewis?

wmute
01-02-2010, 06:24 PM
Most Complete, not best, ok?

Ray Leonard

Honorable mentions that immediately pop to my mind

Ezzard Charles
Floyd Mayweather Jr

Joey Giardello
01-02-2010, 06:30 PM
Most Complete, not best, ok?

Ray Leonard

Honorable mentions that immediately pop to my mind

Ezzard Charles
Floyd Mayweather Jr

great pick ray was my 2nd choice

donkim
01-02-2010, 06:35 PM
! have you ever heard of books and ring side reports?

They don't mean anything.These old reports can be misleading and other times just blatant lies.

Joey Giardello
01-02-2010, 06:37 PM
They don't mean anything.These old reports can be misleading and other times just blatant lies.

well if thats the case harry greb or tiger flowers cant be ranked,

Joey Giardello
01-02-2010, 06:40 PM

does this mean anything eddie futch and archie moore called burley the most complete fighter they had ever seen?

wmute
01-02-2010, 06:41 PM
great pick ray was my 2nd choice

yeah I don't even like Leonard. I hate his fakeness, cherrypicking, catchweight, negotation bs. But when I see him fight, I shut up and enjoy. Same applies to Mayweather.

Charles I just "love". No homo. seriously.

I think Duran should be mentioned too.

What about Ike Williams? Joe Gans? What do you think?

I can think of a few greats who don't belong in the list. Hagler, Arguello, Robinson, Jones Jr., Benny Leonard, Ali

Joey Giardello
01-02-2010, 06:44 PM
yeah I don't even like Leonard. I hate his fakeness, cherrypicking, catchweight, negotation bs. But when I see him fight, I shut up and enjoy. Same applies to Mayweather.

Charles I just "love". No homo. seriously.

I think Duran should be mentioned too.

What about Ike Williams? Joe Gans? What do you think?

I can think of a few greats who don't belong in the list. Hagler, Arguello, Robinson, Jones Jr., Benny Leonard, Ali

Joe gans that guy could do it all, i have just finished reading the new sam langford book, the chapter on the old master was great, gans could do it all uncanny defence, could punch and a good chin! to go with it

GJC
01-02-2010, 06:51 PM

Can see where your going with some of those names, SRR is a contraversial call but by the definition of complete I know what you mean.
Not sure I agree with Benny Leonard though, struggling to think of too many weaknesses a prime Benny Leonard had by all accounts.

GJC
01-02-2010, 06:54 PM
does this mean anything eddie futch and archie moore called burley the most complete fighter they had ever seen?

Wasting your time Joey with some people the fight could happen in their own front room and they'll still see or believe what they want to.

#1Assassin
01-02-2010, 07:07 PM
how about mike mccallum? thats who emanuel steward says is the most well rounded fighter he ever trained, and nobody trained close to as many top fighters as him.

think about it.. he could fight on the outside or the inside, come forward or use the ring, be first or counter. solid power in both hands, good speed, nice combinations, obviously went to the body well, great defsense, excellent chin.. i struggle to find a weakness in him, and i struggle to find a style he never beat too. tall jabber (mccrory), counterpuncher (curry), southpaw (kalambay, graham), power puncher (jackson), brawler (collins).

yeah for me its the great but so under appreciated mike mccallum.

wmute
01-02-2010, 07:21 PM
Can see where your going with some of those names, SRR is a contraversial call but by the definition of complete I know what you mean.
Not sure I agree with Benny Leonard though, struggling to think of too many weaknesses a prime Benny Leonard had by all accounts.

I think his inside was not on par with his outside, but as soon as I wrote Benny Leonard I thought hmm am I sure? Am I thinking of someone else?

I am basing my recollection on what I remember (first problem) of the little (second problem) footage I have seen. I don't recall what I read about his inside skills, so if you have a better memory of readings or videos, I would be happy to hear.

donkim
01-02-2010, 07:23 PM
yeah I don't even like Leonard. I hate his fakeness,

I hope you hate Marvis for the very same reason then.

wmute
01-02-2010, 07:24 PM
how about mike mccallum? thats who emanuel steward says is the most well rounded fighter he ever trained, and nobody trained close to as many top fighters as him.

think about it.. he could fight on the outside or the inside, come forward or use the ring, be first or counter. solid power in both hands, good speed, nice combinations, obviously went to the body well, great defsense, excellent chin.. i struggle to find a weakness in him, and i struggle to find a style he never beat too. tall jabber (mccrory), counterpuncher (curry), southpaw (kalambay, graham), power puncher (jackson), brawler (collins).

yeah for me its the great but so under appreciated mike mccallum.

McCallum is a complete fighter, so I definitely respect your call, but I chuckled when I saw Stewart talking about complete fighters. If it was up to him Sam Langford should fight tall.

wmute
01-02-2010, 07:26 PM
I hope you hate Marvis for the very same reason then.

Marvis Johnson? Marvis Frazier?

GJC
01-02-2010, 07:29 PM
Marvis Johnson? Marvis Frazier?
I'm betting on Marvin but the written word can be "misleading"

SplitSecond
01-02-2010, 07:33 PM
bernard hopkins(if we are talkin skills and not natural attributes like speed, power etc)

hopkins in his prime could brawl, had decent power with great footwork and is a very slick defensive fighter, can fight in the outside, in the pocket etc

he can do it, only if he was more naturally gifted, but then again if you think about it, being able to compete at a high level at 44 is a god-given gift already

wmute
01-02-2010, 07:35 PM
I'm betting on Marvin but the written word can be "misleading"

hmm yeah and I think i need to go to bed too. Who the hell is Marvis Johnson? Good night.

JAB5239
01-03-2010, 07:50 AM

And of course you can provide proof of these misleading reports and blatant lies, right?

JAB5239
01-03-2010, 07:52 AM
Robinson
Pep
Both Leonards
Charles
Duran
Louis
Jofre

The list is endless and debatable when it comes to opinions on the most complete fighter.

The Stone Roses
01-03-2010, 08:17 AM
Sugar Ray Robinson.....knockout power with both hands...Iron Chin, massive heart, mythical stamina, uppercuts, hooks, straights, combinations, ability to stand toe-to-toe and also dance, fought every style, always fought the best even past his prime....if there's such a thing as a complete fighter its him...end of story...you can't name me anyone who was more complete than Sugar ray

jrosales13
01-03-2010, 09:43 AM
What about Ricardo Lopez? I always felt he was the perfect fighter in his prime. Very fundamentally and technically sound. I think his size hurts him though... I only mentioned him cuz nobody has...

klipsch speaker
01-03-2010, 10:07 AM
Sugar Ray Robinson.....knockout power with both hands...Iron Chin, massive heart, mythical stamina, uppercuts, hooks, straights, combinations, ability to stand toe-to-toe and also dance, fought every style, always fought the best even past his prime....if there's such a thing as a complete fighter its him...end of story...you can't name me anyone who was more complete than Sugar ray

Ray Robinson aint complete. The guy gets hit a lot. His defense while not bad, isnt as great as his other attributes.
Best yes. Most complete no.