View Full Version : How would Benn and Eubank do against Roy Jones?

Rocker
01-02-2010, 08:53 AM
How would a prime Nigel Benn and Chris Eubank do against a prime Roy Jones? What do you see as the outcome?

dancerwitgloves
01-02-2010, 09:16 AM
How would a prime Nigel Benn and Chris Eubank do against a prime Roy Jones? What do you see as the outcome?

I think both prime eubank and benn would both lose, as would there foe steve collins. I think in his day Jones was untouchable, i think even a prime Joe calazghe may have struggled to stay with his speed, but for me out of the two fighters in the thread question. Benn i think would be outclassed and well out of the fight by rounds 7 where as i think eubank would stick around longer and still be in the fight in the 10th and 11th round although both wold lose on points, to the classier Jones.

sonnyboyx2
01-02-2010, 10:29 AM
Jones had too much of everything for them, IMO Jones would KO Benn in 6rds and outpoint Eubank

Steward
01-02-2010, 10:43 AM
Eubank would do the worst i think, keeping his hands so low with the way Roy could hit. I really don't think any of those three British super-middleweights stood a chance. Hate when people say he ducked them. Makes me cringe.

Sugarj
01-02-2010, 11:54 AM
I would favour Jones over both. I think Eubank would lose a decision, but not a lopsided one, he almost always closed 12 round fights well and his chin was cast iron. Eubank had fair speed himself and damn good reflexes too, that coupled with his fighting heart would ensure a good fight.

The Benn who faced McClellan would possibly have moments as Jones covered up on the ropes, but I think he would taste the canvas a couple of times enroute to a decision loss. If McClellan couldn't stop a fully focussed Benn, I dont think Roy would.

cotto16
01-02-2010, 01:02 PM
Eubank would give jones fits, but would be outpointed in a dull affair, ben would go out on his sheild and would be stopped in 10 rounds

GJC
01-02-2010, 03:18 PM
I think Eubank would acquit himself well, fantastic chin and heart.
It always struck me that the peak Eubank always did just enough to win almost cheating the fans if you like.
When pushed like Benn did in the first fight he rose to the challenge, i'd favour Jones but I think Eubank would suprise people.
Benn has a punchers chance I guess but I don't give him much chance prime for prime.

wmute
01-02-2010, 05:43 PM
I go with the consensus here. Eubank gives Jones a tough fight. Benn provides an initial storm but ends up getting sparked.

Silencers
01-03-2010, 12:22 AM
Jones would beat both. I think Jones would've been able to beat Eubank similarly to how he beat Hopkins, Eubank wouldn't have been able to control the tempo and distance against Jones, which was crucial to his success. Benn might've had some good moments early when he was fresh and would've been able to push Jones back, he might have been able to do some good work when he got Jones on the ropes but after the first 2 or 3 rounds Jones would take over and probably stop him late.

cooper5
01-03-2010, 01:31 AM
I believe Jones would beat both without much problem

coghaugen
01-03-2010, 07:46 PM
Eubank was always just out of range, had great reflexes and terrific flexibility, as well being a lot slicker than Jones and more patient. But Jones was a much more naturally talented puncher, especially with the hook, and faster. Both had good ring generalship, both were good movers. We're looking at a close one over 12, Jones edging most of the rounds for a clear-ish win. Plenty of posturing etc from both

coghaugen
01-03-2010, 07:47 PM
Benn would get stopped early in my view.

coghaugen
01-03-2010, 07:48 PM
Remember Eubank was 'the man' in Europe and Jones still an unknown quantity. Eubank would have started as favourite with Jones challenging him...

Ziggy Stardust
01-04-2010, 09:13 AM
Remember Eubank was 'the man' in Europe

That's like being the class genius.....in Kindergarten.

Poet

GJC
01-05-2010, 04:04 PM
That like being the class genius.....in Kindergarten.

Poet
Behave!
You know as well as I do we had some very good MW's in that era.

Ziggy Stardust
01-05-2010, 04:14 PM
behave!
You know as well as i do we had some very good mw's in that era.

;) ;) ;) ;)

ShatteredGlass
01-05-2010, 04:51 PM
Poet, have you been in NSB lately

Ziggy Stardust
01-06-2010, 10:52 AM
Poet, have you been in NSB lately

Not for a few days: I needed a break from rampant nuthuggery :D

Poet

Rocker
01-06-2010, 10:55 AM

Poet

Take your stupidity elsewhere.

Ziggy Stardust
01-06-2010, 11:01 AM
Take your stupidity elsewhere.

What's the matter? Short bus drop you off early?

Poet

Rocker
01-06-2010, 11:05 AM
What's the matter? Short bus drop you off early?

Poet

After viewing some of your posts, I can see that you're clearly bias towards European fighters. Anyone who has an unknown hatred towards a certain group of fighters is an idiot, in my view.

I asked for the general opinions of fans and historians. Not the opinion of an idiot.

mrboxer
01-06-2010, 11:06 AM
roy jones is to fast for these two,benn and eubank were good fighters but not in the jones caliber,i have jones winning both fights by first round stoppages:boxing:

THE REED™
01-06-2010, 11:15 AM
roy jones is to fast for these two,benn and eubank were good fighters but not in the jones caliber,i have jones winning both fights by first round stoppages:boxing:

That's not reasonable.

Ziggy Stardust
01-06-2010, 11:17 AM
After viewing some of your posts, I can see that you're clearly bias towards European fighters. Anyone who has an unknown hatred towards a certain group of fighters is an idiot, in my view.

I asked for the general opinions of fans and historians. Not the opinion of an idiot.

Really? Then please explain to me why Herol Graham, Nigel Benn, Frank Bruno, and Lennox Lewis have been among my favorite fighters of the past 20 years.

For the record, my point is that the European boxing scene is the equivalent of the minor leagues in American baseball. If a Euro fighter wants to be more than a big fish in a small pond he needs to fight outside of Europe: It's as simple as that. You may not LIKE it, but then again no one really gives a sh1t whether you like it or not.

BTW, if you're going to call someone and idiot you might want to try doing so in a post where you accually show you're capable of putting a sentence together in English: The word is "biasED", and "against" not "toward" :rofl:

Poet

Rocker
01-06-2010, 11:30 AM
Really? Then please explain to me why Herol Graham, Nigel Benn, Frank Bruno, and Lennox Lewis have been among my favorite fighters of the past 20 years.
I didn't know they were your favorite fighters and I don't care. You have a bias towards some European fighters, such as the Klitschko's. Other members have confirmed this to me via PM. Case in point, you have a bias towards SOME fighters. That's what makes your opinion flawed.

For the record, my point is that the European boxing scene is the equivalent of the minor leagues in American baseball. If a Euro fighter wants to be more than a big fish in a small pond he needs to fight outside of Europe: It's as simple as that. You may not LIKE it, but then again no one really gives a sh1t whether you like it or not.
OH RIGHT! I forgot that boxing was suddenly owned by America.. NOT.

And the "big fish - small pond" theory applies to how good of a commercial success he should've been. It doesn't apply to how good of a fighter he was.

BTW, if you're going to call someone and idiot you might want to try doing so in a post where you accually show you're capable of putting a sentence together in English: The word is "biasED", and "against" not "toward" :rofl:
Correcting someone's grammar in hopes of making yourself look smarter shows who really is the idiot.

Nice try, though.

steeluv
01-06-2010, 11:49 AM

Poet

No Cus Eubank beat and drew Benn who beat fierce US Competition like Iran Barkey and Gerald McClellan, Also europe had Micheal Watson who would have gone on to greatness if it wasnt for his health and Steve Collins who was really good. At the time Roy Jones didnt seem to want to fight Collins, he wanted him to fight a young Calzaghe first after years of Collins calling him out and unfortunately the Doctors told him he couldnt continue to box. Collins never got KO'd in his career, I suspect Jones would have won on points but a great battle it would have been.

Dynamite Kid
01-06-2010, 02:45 PM
Jones would beat both. I think Jones would've been able to beat Eubank similarly to how he beat Hopkins, Eubank wouldn't have been able to control the tempo and distance against Jones, which was crucial to his success. Benn might've had some good moments early when he was fresh and would've been able to push Jones back, he might have been able to do some good work when he got Jones on the ropes but after the first 2 or 3 rounds Jones would take over and probably stop him late.

I agree with this.

I reckon Eubank would go the distance but i think he would lose a clear decision. I think Benn would have better moments in the fight but his chin would ultimately let him down.

IMO Benn's style would pose a lot more trouble for Jones than Eubank's would. Eubank's attacking Boxing was very poor imo, he was okay when you attacked him where by he did not have to set up his own offence, but when he was asked to take the lead he would leave himself off balance and open to counters.

Benn's low bobbing style, coming out of the rolls with hooks,overhand rights would give Jones more trouble adapting to, particularly if Jones would try to punch down to him. I dont think Jones looked comfortable fighting Gonzalez when pressed, not that it was competitive but imo he made Roy uncomfortable at times because Roy did not want to keep moving and punching he wanted to slow the pace down and pot shot at his own pace.

Dynamite Kid
01-06-2010, 02:56 PM
Just to add, Eubank is the reason i started following Boxing. I used to watching Eubank fight on ITV as kid growing up, and as much as i loved watching him i cant say he was on Jones/Toney's level.

To me Eubank & Benn were on the level of a Hector Camacho, they were never as good as Jones/Toney the way Camacho was always a poor mans Pernell Whitaker and a level below him, thats not being derogatory though because Eubank & Benn were very very good fighters,as was Camacho imo,they were just not elite!!!

Its a bit like Ricky Hatton, very very good fighter, good Champion, but just not elite!!