View Full Version : Howcome George Foreman never fought Earnie Shavers?

boxing_great
12-31-2009, 11:42 PM
So I was running through boxrec thinking this fight would have happened and it would have been a classic like Foreman Lyle.

So why didn't this fight ever happen between 2 monster hitters???
Seems illogical.

1SILVA
12-31-2009, 11:45 PM
So I was running through boxrec thinking this fight would have happened and it would have been a classic like Foreman Lyle.

So why didn't this fight ever happen between 2 monster hitters???
Seems illogical.

Wouldn't have mattered. Foreman would have ko'd him inside three

boxing_great
12-31-2009, 11:48 PM
Wouldn't have mattered. Foreman would have ko'd him inside three

Come on , it would have been a close fight, with Shavers in with a good chance of stopping Foreman.

The Stone Roses
01-01-2010, 12:07 AM
George Chuvalo fought both Shavers and Foreman and said that Shavers hit harder than Foreman

cooper5
01-01-2010, 12:19 AM
Shavers rose to the top after George retired(1st time). By the time George returned 10 years later Earnie was done. The timing was off.

boxing_great
01-01-2010, 12:28 AM
Shavers rose to the top after George retired(1st time). By the time George returned 10 years later Earnie was done. The timing was off.

This was a classic fight in the making that the whole world missed out on.
Definitely would have been a FOTY candidate.

sleazyfellow
01-01-2010, 12:31 AM
Come on , it would have been a close fight, with Shavers in with a good chance of stopping Foreman.

Shavers might hit harder (from what fighters who faced both foreman and shavers have said), but he didnt have the chin to stand up against foreman, foreman KO inside of 4.

boxing_great
01-01-2010, 12:36 AM
Shavers might hit harder (from what fighters who faced both foreman and shavers have said), but he didnt have the chin to stand up against foreman, foreman KO inside of 4.

On a good night Shavers can win,
if Ron Lyle, knocked Foreman down twice, Shavers can have just as much as success if not more.

TBear
01-01-2010, 12:47 AM
Shavers could almost knock out anybody, but I believe George would stop anybody that tried to fight him, even Shavers.

1SILVA
01-01-2010, 01:19 AM
On a good night Shavers can win,
if Ron Lyle, knocked Foreman down twice, Shavers can have just as much as success if not more.

Jerry Quarry, who barely weighed 200 pounds, ko'd Shavers in one round. foreman destroys him, without a doubt. Other than Norton, name the HOF fighter Shavers beat?

Silencers
01-01-2010, 01:37 AM
The timing wasn't good. Foreman had retired by the time Shavers made it to the top, Shavers wanted to fight Foreman in the 90s when Foreman was a big money attraction but by that point Shavers was shot and lost in round 2 in his last fight.

sonnyboyx2
01-01-2010, 03:43 AM
George Chuvalo fought both Shavers and Foreman and said that Shavers hit harder than Foreman

You have obviously just made-up that statement..This is everything that is wrong with discussing Boxing, people like you who just spew-out comments off the top of their head, can you please provide a link to this imaginary quote which you claim George Chuvalo made claiming "Shavers hit harder than Foreman".... i am a huge fan of all three fighters and from my memory i can never recall Chuvalo saying anything like that, in fact i can never ever recall George Chuvalo ever fighting Earnie Shavers.

1SILVA
01-01-2010, 08:52 AM
You have obviously just made-up that statement..This is everything that is wrong with discussing Boxing, people like you who just spew-out comments off the top of their head, can you please provide a link to this imaginary quote which you claim George Chuvalo made claiming "Shavers hit harder than Foreman".... i am a huge fan of all three fighters and from my memory i can never recall Chuvalo saying anything like that, in fact i can never ever recall George Chuvalo ever fighting Earnie Shavers.

Chuvalo never fought Shavers. Shavers was ko'd by Randy Cobb and Ron Lyle, as well as Quarry. How in the world can he beat Foreman besides a lucky sunday punch? Shavers had amazing power, but that was it. He would be destroyed by Foreman, period. The only way Foreman ever lost was to be outboxed. Lyle and Stewart came the closest to outslugging him, and he pulled out both wars.

BillyBoxing
01-01-2010, 09:36 AM
Jerry Quarry, who barely weighed 200 pounds, ko'd Shavers in one round. foreman destroys him, without a doubt. Other than Norton, name the HOF fighter Shavers beat?

I think Shavers was a freaky puncher,but he wasn't good enough to beat Foreman,I dont see that fight beeing competitive.

Shavers is overrated,he only has beaten Norton on the downside and made fight an unmotivated past Ali.He get outslugged by Quarry in one and many others.

Foreman vs Shavers isn't even competitive.

I see it as Foreman-Frazier.Foreman cream him in few rounds.

Slimey Limey
01-01-2010, 09:57 AM
The timing wasn't good. Foreman had retired by the time Shavers made it to the top, Shavers wanted to fight Foreman in the 90s when Foreman was a big money attraction but by that point Shavers was shot and lost in round 2 in his last fight.

Good job basically repeating the exact same post someone else made earlier.

Clegg
01-01-2010, 11:03 AM

Chuvalo didn't fight Shavers.

donkim
01-01-2010, 12:01 PM
How come "smokey" Joe Frazier never fought Earnie Shavers?

Ya think he was scurrrrrrred?

Silencers
01-01-2010, 01:27 PM
Good job basically repeating the exact same post someone else made earlier.

Wasn't my intention to but yeah, it turned out I pretty much posted the same thing cooper5 did earlier. My bad.

Shavers came back because he wanted to fight Foreman in a big money fight, Foreman at the time had been stripped of his title for refusing to rematch Axel Schultz who had given him all he could handle, Foreman then shopped around for a title, ending up with the WBU belt who pretty much let him fight whoever he wanted to fight, Shavers figured he could win a few fights against bums and lesser opposition and get ranked by the WBU, didn't work out for him. As he said after the fight "They said he was a bum, no body told him."

Marcov
01-01-2010, 02:10 PM
How come "smokey" Joe Frazier never fought Earnie Shavers?

Ya think he was scurrrrrrred?

He was going to but pulled out of the fight at the last minute. They got some upcoming heavyweight from Easton Pa. to fill in for him. Joe never fought again and the young heavy outpointed Shavers.

And I don't believe Shavers was overrated as much as people say, the Quarry and Lyle fights were early in his career and Cobb/Mercado fights came really late in his career.
But to see how dangerous he was in his prime, watch him against Ali and his second fight with Holmes. And to see how great his power was watch him with Jimmy Ellis and Norton. "Their kinfolk in......"

GJC
01-01-2010, 04:11 PM
Think the Quarry fight pretty much put paid to Shavers getting a shot during Foreman's first reign.
Guess he would have a punchers chance but I would strongly favour Foreman.

1SILVA
01-01-2010, 05:16 PM
He was going to but pulled out of the fight at the last minute. They got some upcoming heavyweight from Easton Pa. to fill in for him. Joe never fought again and the young heavy outpointed Shavers.

And I don't believe Shavers was overrated as much as people say, the Quarry and Lyle fights were early in his career and Cobb/Mercado fights came really late in his career.
But to see how dangerous he was in his prime, watch him against Ali and his second fight with Holmes. And to see how great his power was watch him with Jimmy Ellis and Norton. "Their kinfolk in......"

Frazier retired after getting lo'd by Foreman in 76. Holmes fought Shavers in 78

gibo
01-12-2010, 03:46 AM
same reason Frazier never fought Norton. Or Holmes never fought Greg Page!

bojangles1987
01-12-2010, 10:57 AM

Pretty much, Foreman had fallen completely off by the time Ernie Shavers became somebody. Would have been fun if it happened though I would expect a quick KO victory for Foreman.

1SILVA
01-12-2010, 11:14 AM
same reason Frazier never fought Norton. Or Holmes never fought Greg Page!

Frazier and Norton never fought not only were they both trained by Eddie Futch, they both were very close friends.