View Full Version : why do some say benny leonard is the ATG lightweight?

prometheuslord
12-31-2009, 04:25 AM
i honestly don't know enough about this man to make a conclusion, but i know enough about roberto duran to consider him a god amongst men in the lightweight division. but some people say benny leonard is the greatest lightweight of all time. why is that exactly? anyone care to educate me?

JAB5239
12-31-2009, 04:48 AM
i honestly don't know enough about this man to make a conclusion, but i know enough about roberto duran to consider him a god amongst men in the lightweight division. but some people say benny leonard is the greatest lightweight of all time. why is that exactly? anyone care to educate me?

Because he undoubtedly has the greatest resume amongst lightweight champions. *Lew Tendler, *Rocky Kansas, Charley White, *Johnny Dundee, Patsy Cline, *Ted Lewis, *Jack Britton, *Johnny Kilbane and *Freddie Welsh are the standouts. He also fought many other top rated fighters and is noted as an incredible ring tactician. Even today you can look back at the film of him and see how great he was. I don't have a problem with anyone rating Duran or Gans ahead of Leonard, but benny certainly belongs in the conversation when talking about the greatest lightweight ever.

Ray Arcel (who also trained Duran) Said he was the most intelligent fighter he ever saw

*Hall of famers Leonard fought at lightweight.

BattlingNelson
12-31-2009, 07:00 AM
When discussing the greatest ever lightweight it always comes down to Duran, Gans or Leonard. Not much separates them.

CCobra
12-31-2009, 04:28 PM
When discussing the greatest ever lightweight it always comes down to Duran, Gans or Leonard. Not much separates them.

No love for Whitaker?

Joey Giardello
12-31-2009, 04:30 PM
Joe gans was the greatest lightweight

JAB5239
12-31-2009, 08:57 PM
Joe gans was the greatest lightweight

That argument can certainly be made.:fing02:

talip bin osman
12-31-2009, 09:09 PM
That argument can certainly be made.:fing02:

round robin, last man standing on these 3 great fighters man...

benny, joe & manos de piedra...

who do u think comes out on top?

cotto16
12-31-2009, 09:56 PM
round robin, last man standing on these 3 great fighters man...

benny, joe & manos de piedra...

who do u think comes out on top?

duran of course

TBear
01-01-2010, 12:38 AM
Wasn't it B. Leonard that Arcel was fond of?

Silencers
01-01-2010, 01:39 AM
Benny Leonard's resume at lightweight is second to none, I don't think too much fight film exists of him but his resume speaks for itself.

BennyST
01-01-2010, 01:54 AM
Wasn't it B. Leonard that Arcel was fond of?

Arcel said that he considered Leonard as good as Robinson, and a better ring tactician/thinker.

prometheuslord
01-01-2010, 02:45 AM
in a h2h battle between leonard and duran at lightweight, who wins? all i know about leonard is really his resume, but i don't think he ever faced anyone close to as powerful as duran