View Full Version : What division has seen the most GREAT fighters?

DonTaseMeBrah
12-30-2009, 10:02 PM
In the history of professional prize fighting, which division has seen, produced the greatest number of fighters?

Welterweight? Featherweight? Heavyweight?

cotto16
12-30-2009, 10:32 PM
Middleweight! Bob Fitzsimons, Stanley Ketchel, Les Darcy, Bob Papke, Harry Greb, Sam Langford, Micky Walker, Tiger Flowers, Billy Conn, Charley Burley, Archie Moore, Sugar ray Robinson, Jake Lamotta, Tony Zale, Rocky Graziano, Holman Williams, Gene Fulmer, Carmen Basilo, Dick Tiger, Nino Benvenutei, Carlos Monzon, Rodrigo Valdez, Rubin Carter, Emile Griiffith, Randy Turpin, Chris Eubank, Mike Mccallum, Herol Graham, Gerald Mccellan, Michael Watson, Nigel Benn, Iran Barkley, Marvin Hagler, Roberto Duran, Wilfredo Benitez, Ray Learnard, Thomas Hearns, Donald Curry, Tommy Ryan, Sumbo Kalambay, Kid mcoy, Roy Jones, Michael Nuun, James Toney, Bernard Hopkins to name a few

El Jesus
12-30-2009, 10:47 PM
Middleweight! Bob Fitzsimons, Stanley Ketchel, Les Darcy, Bob Papke, Harry Greb, Sam Langford, Micky Walker, Tiger Flowers, Billy Conn, Charley Burley, Archie Moore, Sugar ray Robinson, Jake Lamotta, Tony Zale, Rocky Graziano, Holman Williams, Gene Fulmer, Carmen Basilo, Dick Tiger, Nino Benvenutei, Carlos Monzon, Rodrigo Valdez, Rubin Carter, Emile Griiffith, Randy Turpin, Chris Eubank, Mike Mccallum, Herol Graham, Gerald Mccellan, Michael Watson, Nigel Benn, Iran Barkley, Marvin Hagler, Roberto Duran, Wilfredo Benitez, Ray Learnard, Thomas Hearns, Donald Curry, Tommy Ryan, Sumbo Kalambay, Kid mcoy, Roy Jones, Michael Nuun, James Toney, Bernard Hopkins to name a few

Beat me to it, i was going to say welter, but the thing is, most great welters who start in that division usually go on to middleweight, or at least historically, depends on where you view Jr Middleweight.

cotto16
12-30-2009, 10:53 PM
Beat me to it, i was going to say welter, but the thing is, most great welters who start in that division usually go on to middleweight, or at least historically, depends on where you view Jr Middleweight.

i only put fighters who had one time at 160, so if fighters who had boxed jr middle and not gone no higher were not included!

Irish Hitman
12-30-2009, 10:55 PM
light welterweight to middleweight

cotto16
12-30-2009, 10:55 PM
Here are some more for middleweights Oscar de la hoya, Arthur Abraham, Felix Trinidad, Bennie Brisco, Vinny Pazienza, Hector Camacho and Winky Wright and my favourite bobby czyz

HaglerSteelChin
12-30-2009, 11:46 PM
I think MW is right there in a weight that a great pool of fighters can fight at. Even WW or JR MW can move up to MW. I think there has been alot of great FeatherWeights, Lightweights, and HeavyWeights. Lightweights include Joe Ganns, Benny Leonard, Henry Armstrong, Carlos Ortiz, Tony Canzoneri, Roberto Duran, Ken Buchanan, Alexis Arguello, Pernell Whitaker, Julio Cesar Chavez, De La Hoya, Mayweather Jr etc., just to name a few.

Marcov
12-31-2009, 12:35 AM
Middleweight is a strong choice, but there have been many great welters and Heavyweights. I ask were would we be without Joe Louis and Muhammad Ali?

BennyST
12-31-2009, 01:41 AM
double post

dde91
12-31-2009, 01:50 AM
I say From Lightweight to Middleweight. Just like others stated, most Welterweights end up Middleweights and most Lightweights end up Welterweights.

and plus you have Middleweights that have been successful at the higher weight classes from Light Heavy Weight to Heavy Weight like Floyd patterson, Roy Jones, Archie Moore, Dick Tiger, bernard Hopkins, James Toney, etc.

BennyST
12-31-2009, 01:55 AM
I think the classic divisions of LW, WW and MW have all had the best. Lightweight has been consistently the most talented division imo, along with WW, but MW would end up probably having had the most amount of great fighters.

As El Jesus said, most great WW ended up at MW anyway at some point, and a lot of the great LW's ended up at WW and MW too.

Those three divisions for me are the greatest.

Lightweight tops it for me though. It's a who's who of the greatest ever.

Ray Robinson
Henry Armstrong
Roberto Duran
Tony Canzoneri
Benny Leonard
Pernell Whitaker
Jose Napoles
Joe Gans
JC Chavez
Ike Williams
Carlos Ortiz
Mayweather
Arguello
Ken Buchanan
Ismael Laguna
Joe Brown
Barney Ross

....and you could go on and on but I can't be bothered.

tanibanana
01-01-2010, 09:33 PM
Lightweight, Welterweight and Middleweight

In my opinion an argument could be made
that any of the three weight divisions could
be considered for the top spot..