View Full Version : name fighters who have put on over 30lbs during their career

sonnyboyx2
12-28-2009, 01:05 PM
Lots of talk in the boxing world that Pacquiao has taken steroids to put weight on as he moved up in weight-classes, yet throughout boxing history there has been lots of fighters who put on more weight than the 35lbs Manny Pacquiao has put on... see how many we can name:

Sam Langford -- 60lbs
George Foreman -- 70lbs
James Toney ----- 75lbs
Roy Jones ------ 45lbs
Jimmy Ellis ---- 40lbs
Floyd Patterson --- 40lbs
David Tua ------ 45lbs
Thomas Hearns --- 40lbs
Lennox Lewis ---- 35lbs
Michael Moorer --- 40lbs

bklynboy
12-28-2009, 01:17 PM
Lots of talk in the boxing world that Pacquiao has taken steroids to put weight on as he moved up in weight-classes, yet throughout boxing history there has been lots of fighters who put on more weight than the 35lbs Manny Pacquiao has put on... see how many we can name:

Sam Langford -- 60lbs
George Foreman -- 70lbs
James Toney ----- 75lbs
Roy Jones ------ 45lbs
Jimmy Ellis ---- 40lbs
David Tua ------ 45lbs
Thomas Hearns --- 40lbs
Lennox Lewis ---- 35lbs
Michael Moorer --- 40lbs

Jim Braddock started as a middleweight and -- according to boxrec -- weighed 197 vs Joe Louis and 199.5 in his next and last fight against Tommy Farr.

TheGreatA
12-28-2009, 01:54 PM
Chris Byrd fought at 141 in the amateurs. Highest weight 222 lbs at HW.

1SILVA
12-28-2009, 02:51 PM

Sam Langford -- 60lbs
George Foreman -- 70lbs
James Toney ----- 75lbs
Roy Jones ------ 45lbs
Jimmy Ellis ---- 40lbs
David Tua ------ 45lbs
Thomas Hearns --- 40lbs
Lennox Lewis ---- 35lbs
Michael Moorer --- 40lbs

Add Evander Holyfield, Roberto Duran, Vinny Pazienza, Eddie Mustafa Muhammad, and Dwight Qawi to that list

oldgringo
12-28-2009, 04:15 PM
Georges Carpentier
Guillermo Jones
Jorge Castro

roxy
12-28-2009, 04:36 PM
Duran used to gain 30-40 pounds between fights all the time

Heru
12-28-2009, 05:02 PM
Not accusing Pacquiao of anything, but which one of those fighters has been able to still be as ripped as Pacquiao at his max. weight.

RJJ is the only one that has remained defined from those mentioned and there's a cloud of speculation surrounding him. And Holyfield too.

Marcov
12-28-2009, 06:01 PM
Duran used to gain 30-40 pounds between fights all the time

Sometimes it affected his performance too, Duran and Archie Moore were two of the few that did it through their career and still had sucess in the ring.

TheGreatA
12-28-2009, 06:21 PM
Young Stribling began his career as a featherweight and ended up fight as a heavyweight at 195 pounds.

Alabama Kid weighed 112 lbs early on and later 185 lbs.

Willie Pastrano went from 122 lbs to 191.

BennyST
12-28-2009, 09:51 PM
Young Stribling began his career as a featherweight and ended up fight as a heavyweight at 195 pounds.

There have been quite a lot, but few who have been still at a natural weight. The difference between most of these guys and Pac is that he is still at a natural weight for him. JWW and even WW are fine. He is as big as Cotto, though Cotto was on the small side.

He is a normal sized JWW though and at all the lower weights he was ever at he was literally like Paul Williams. Go watch some of his early fights like against Sasakul, Sanchez etc and he is like a monster next to them. He overshadows them by amazing amounts which is why he is still able to be the same size as today's JWW's.

The other big thing is that he moved up well before he was thirty years old and has only just passed thirty in recent years.

Other guys who moved up large amount of weight like Duran who moved up ten modern divisions and about 60 pounds was that he had found his natural weight by the time he hit his early twenties at 135 and stayed there until about thirty, then by the time he started moving up it was mainly because he didn't really have enough motivation to train any more, didn't give a **** and only fought on because of money and not knowing what else to do. He was also very small already by the time he got to WW, as he was on the small side at 135 already, when he was towered over by guys like Leonard etc who would have a good four or so inches in height and six to eight in reach.

Pac has still been the same size physically as nearly all his opponents apart from Oscar who was dead anyway. This is the biggest reason he is still so successful, apart from his obvious talents. Well, that and the style of guys he has been fighting recently.

It will be interesting to see Pac is his late thirties against guys much bigger and younger. I doubt he will stay around long enough though.

Apart from him though there have been a lot of fighters that have moved up as much or more and still been successful. I think most of them didn't have the luxury of fighting guys the same size though. Obviously, today the weigh ins help more than anything. They have gotten further and further between weigh in time and fight time, which allows today's fighter to shrink down abnormal amounts and then rehydrate hugely. Guys that used too fight thirty more years ago didn't have that luxury and had to fight closer to their real weight which meant they struggled to move up like that as you would be facing genuinely bigger guys if you weren't able to cut and rehydrate big.

Weight is a funny thing today and boxing is becoming more and more about weight and yet, in all reality it is less of an issue because the way things are run make it that much easier to move between divisions without much problem. If you are reasonably tall, you cut down with a good nutritionist and get to a your minimum weight, and then over your career you can up and up until you are finally around your natural weight usually at about thirty years old now.

phallus
12-28-2009, 10:09 PM
Not accusing Pacquiao of anything, but which one of those fighters has been able to still be as ripped as Pacquiao at his max. weight.

RJJ is the only one that has remained defined from those mentioned and there's a cloud of speculation surrounding him. And Holyfield too.

manny walks around at 147, though. if he goes up to 154 ( bad move ), he'd have to start bulking up, if he was 160 and just as ripped, then i'd be suspicious.

holy juiced, look at how skinny he was at cruiser and when he fought in the olympics at 175, all of a sudden he moves up to hw and instantly he's 30 lbs heavier and just as ripped as before. RJJ probably juiced before the ruiz fight

JAB5239
12-29-2009, 12:20 AM
6]Young Stribling began his career as a featherweight and ended up fight as a heavyweight at 195 pounds.[/B]

This was the first person I thought of when I saw this thread.

Mickey Walker is another fighter who put on more than 30lbs during his career and remained successful. He started at lightweight and fought as high as lightheavy.

sonnyboyx2
12-29-2009, 01:43 AM
Lots of very good replys all which are interesting to read, i agree that RJj & Holyfield may have taken steroids, RJj tested positive after the Richard Hall fight and Holyfield was keeping company with steroid abusers, however the other great fighters mentioned i am of the opinion their skill level got them to the top the same i believe got Pacquiao to where he is today... i have always believed and still do that size is imaterial, its speed and skill that count, Pacquiao is not over-powering his opponents with brute strength, it is his speed and boxing skills that are winning him these fights, Hatton, Oscar & Cotto was all beaten by a guy with amazing boxing skills, IMO if Pacquao had weighed 135lb on the nights he fought those 3 fighters he would have won in quicker time

oldgringo
12-29-2009, 01:45 AM
This was the first person I thought of when I saw this thread.

Mickey Walker is another fighter who put on more than 30lbs during his career and remained successful. He started at lightweight and fought as high as lightheavy.

Good one!

Another one would be Tommy Loughran. He fought as low as the mid-150's and as high as 200...with varying degrees of success.

One more round
12-29-2009, 01:53 AM
Alexis Arguello fought as high as 143, and even though on boxrec it doesn't list the weights of his early fights, I would think he would have weighed around 115 or so when he turned pro at age 16.

TBear
12-29-2009, 02:10 AM

He was the first one I thought of.

BennyST
12-29-2009, 04:03 AM
Another guy is .... I can't remember his name right now?:dunno:

Damn. Someone help me out here. He fought as a lightweight and maybe even Jr lightweight and was a title holder back in the late eighties or early nineties maybe. Fought Paz etc.

He then moved up and won the WBC super-middleweight title from some guy.

Not bad. Weird name which is escaping me right now. :thinking:

Ahhh well.....

-4-
12-29-2009, 05:18 AM
Ricky Fatton

BennyST
12-29-2009, 08:54 AM
Ricky Fatton

How is fighting at a total of two weight classes moving up in weight huge amounts?

Oh, you mean he's just fat in general? I get it.

:nonono:

rockybalboa1
12-29-2009, 10:30 AM
Jack Johnson - 65 lbs
Riddick Bowe - 60 lbs

TheGreatA
12-29-2009, 10:49 AM
Another guy is .... I can't remember his name right now?:dunno:

Damn. Someone help me out here. He fought as a lightweight and maybe even Jr lightweight and was a title holder back in the late eighties or early nineties maybe. Fought Paz etc.

He then moved up and won the WBC super-middleweight title from some guy.

Not bad. Weird name which is escaping me right now. :thinking:

Ahhh well.....

Dingaan Thobela? Started fighting as a featherweight and ended up as a light heavyweight.

One more round
12-29-2009, 08:16 PM
Ali weighed as low as 188 and as high as 237. That's 49lbs.

The_Demon
12-29-2009, 08:23 PM
Dingaan Thobela? Started fighting as a featherweight and ended up as a light heavyweight.

ye thats him
took glen catleys title at SMW

DonTaseMeBrah
12-30-2009, 12:00 AM
frenchman georges carpentier started as a 14 year old flyweight won the lightheavyweight title & fought for the heavyweight title vs jack dempsey.

jimmy mclarnin turned pro at 126, won the welterweight championship.

bob fitzsimons won middleweight, lightheavy, & heavyweight.

BattlingNelson
12-30-2009, 12:08 AM
Butterbean went from 280 to 417 lbs.

James Toney went from 157 to 237 and Michael Moorer from 171 to 251 and Saul Montana from 168 to 251.

shogunn
12-30-2009, 12:37 AM
Lots of very good replys all which are interesting to read, i agree that RJj & Holyfield may have taken steroids, RJj tested positive after the Richard Hall fight and Holyfield was keeping company with steroid abusers, however the other great fighters mentioned i am of the opinion their skill level got them to the top the same i believe got Pacquiao to where he is today... i have always believed and still do that size is imaterial, its speed and skill that count, Pacquiao is not over-powering his opponents with brute strength, it is his speed and boxing skills that are winning him these fights, Hatton, Oscar & Cotto was all beaten by a guy with amazing boxing skills, IMO if Pacquao had weighed 135lb on the nights he fought those 3 fighters he would have won in quicker time

I completely agree. It seems alot of his accusers are just looking at boxingrec and eyeing the weight numbers, then just automatically assume roids. If they have watched the fights and keep an eye on his weight, theyll know Manny was the only around 8lbs heavier stopping DLH, compared to TKO'ing Morales.

The manner in which he wins his fights isnt from roid power, rather from gameplanning and timing. With ODLH he was leading in with his left in between ODLH gaurds timing it perfectly, this completely threw ODLH off gaurd. With Hatton, ricky was just dumb. Roach mentioned Ricky would always wince before throwing out a jab, Manny countered with perfectly timed right hooks, then later a straight Left bomb. With Cotto, it was the margarito esque uppercuts where Cotto always leaves himself open when trying to counter . These guys were getting hit when they least expected it, all part of gameplans and not like brute strength overcoming their gaurds.

There was strategy and planning involved in his wins, yet some idiots just decide its easier to claim roids, with no shred of proof behind their accusations other than, "he's on something, I just know"

Greatwhitehope
12-30-2009, 01:10 AM
Carpentier would be the best example I can think of, went up many a weight class and always looked fit, even at heavyweight against Dempsey, he was a bit smaller but not dwarfed by Dempsey and looked natural.

DonTaseMeBrah
12-30-2009, 01:15 AM
Good one!

Another one would be Tommy Loughran. He fought as low as the mid-150's and as high as 200...with varying degrees of success.

great example. fought at 160. weighed in at 184 vs primo carnera who was 270.

BennyST
12-30-2009, 01:39 AM
Butterbean went from 280 to 417 lbs.

James Toney went from 157 to 237 and Michael Moorer from 171 to 251 and Saul Montana from 168 to 251.

Iran Barkley won the middleweight title from Hearns at 160, and was as low as 157 at MW also, and later won a minor HW title from HW champ Gerrie Coetze at 240 or so. I don't think he ever got much above 240 as a HW though. Apart from cruiser he won titles in all weight divisions, with major titles in MW, SMW and LHW and the aforementioned minor HW title.

BennyST
12-30-2009, 01:46 AM

That's it! He started at FW? :eek: Damn.

I didn't think he started that low. That's hugely impressive.

Well, there you go fellas. That's a pretty damn good one right there. Started at 126 and won major titles as high as 168 as well as fighting at 175. 50 pounds is pretty damn good.

Bundana
12-30-2009, 03:20 PM
Good question - one where you have to dig deep into your pool of boxing-knowledge to come up with some interesting answers.

A lot of names have already been mentioned, but here are a few that haven't:

Carl Chancellor - 139lbs
Tim Noble - 100lbs
Garing Lane - 88lbs
Corey Sanders - 88lbs
Adenilson Rodriguez - 87lbs
Joe Bugner - 76lbs
James Tillis - 73lbs
Tim Witherspoon - 69lbs
David Bay - 68lbs
Shannon Briggs - 68lbs
Craig Paine - 62lbs
Danny Williams - 61lbs
Al Cole - 60lbs
Larry Holmes - 59lbs
Bert Cooper - 56lbs
Mike Weaver - 55lbs
"Bonecrusher" Smith - 55lbs

We need more fun trivia, so when this thread fizzles out, I hope sonnyboyx2 will post the obvious follow-up question: Name fighters who have LOST over 30lbs during their carrer! Not nearly as many candidates as for this one... so that would be quite interesting.

flem1
12-31-2009, 07:57 AM
Guillermo Jones.

Started out as a WW, even weighed in as low as 145 lbs. He beat Firat Arslan for the WBA Cruiserweight title last year.

boxing77
01-02-2010, 02:29 PM
How stupid couldu be,no boxer will move up in weight unless he is a great fighter,and not going to get there ass wopped,but most fighters will keep fighting a lower weight or maintain there weight to be competitve!!!why do u think mayweeter wanted to fight marquez,try to lower hi weight instead of going up and fighting lets say chad dawson,cuz it just aint a smart move,u must be very skinny,all a fighter has to do is change there diet around!!!!!

S A M U R A I
01-02-2010, 03:19 PM
Add this to the thread:

2006 | 129 | Morales III | Ring Weight: 144 | Rehydration: 15 lbs
2007 | 130 | Barrera II | Ring Weight: 144 | Rehydration: 14lbs
2008 | 129 | Marquez II | Ring Weight: 145 | Rehydration: 16lbs
2008 | 134 | Diaz | Ring Weight: 147 | Rehydration: 12 lbs
2008 | 142 | De La Hoya | Ring Weight: 148.5 | Rehydration: 6 lbs
2009 | 138 | Hatton | Ring Weight: 148 | Rehydration: 10 lbs
2009 | 144 | Cotto | Ring Weight: 149 | Rehydration: 5 lbs

144-149 = 5 lbs difference in three years.

Go Blue
01-02-2010, 03:37 PM
Pacs weight is a non issue.

His getting faster, getting stronger, and gaining better punch resistance all while KOing bigger fighters is what looks funny.

S A M U R A I
01-02-2010, 03:40 PM
Pacs weight is a non issue.

His getting faster, getting stronger, and gaining better punch resistance all while KOing bigger fighters is what looks funny.

Can you prove to us where he got faster. I don't see it. He looks a little slower now compared to a few years back.

As for power, it makes sense that he would hit harder now, for two reasons: He is cutting far less weight, and Alex Ariza's plyometrics, ballistic training, etc.

Punch resistance can be improved. That's the point of utilizing sparring partners such as Shawn Porter. The way to train for a hard hitting fighter (Cotto) who is bigger than you is to spar with an even harder hitting fighter who is bigger still (Porter).

Go Blue
01-02-2010, 03:44 PM
Can you prove to us where he got faster. I don't see it. He looks a little slower now compared to a few years back.

As for power, it makes sense that he would hit harder now, for two reasons: He is cutting far less weight, and Alex Ariza's plyometrics, ballistic training, etc.

There is a video on youtube that was posted on b-scene where Lampley, Lederman and Steward all said what I said.

Pac is faster..bigger and stronger.

Steward said Pac was having his wars take on eefect on him and then all of suden vs. Diaz...he said Pac looked like he never been in a war.

S A M U R A I
03-02-2010, 07:25 AM
There is a video on youtube that was posted on b-scene where Lampley, Lederman and Steward all said what I said.

Pac is faster..bigger and stronger.

Steward said Pac was having his wars take on eefect on him and then all of suden vs. Diaz...he said Pac looked like he never been in a war.

Who cares what the hell Lampley, Lederman and Steward said? I have eyes. I can see and think for myself. He is not faster. He actually looks a little slower to me. At the very best, he has the same speed as he had at lower weights. Not faster. That's complete bull**** and you know it.

And since when did PED's make anyone faster? He is bigger by just five pounds in three years. Re-read that. FIVE pounds in THREE years. That's nothing! He is stronger because he isn't cutting as much weight. You know what cutting too much weight does to a fighter? It makes him weaker. FFS, do the math. He also has a great strength and conditioninbg coach now.

Why the **** am I having to explain this ****?

frankenfrank
03-02-2010, 09:16 AM
Good question - one where you have to dig deep into your pool of boxing-knowledge to come up with some interesting answers.

A lot of names have already been mentioned, but here are a few that haven't:

Carl Chancellor - 139lbs
Tim Noble - 100lbs
Garing Lane - 88lbs
Corey Sanders - 88lbs
Adenilson Rodriguez - 87lbs
Joe Bugner - 76lbs
James Tillis - 73lbs
Tim Witherspoon - 69lbs
David Bay - 68lbs
Shannon Briggs - 68lbs
Craig Paine - 62lbs
Danny Williams - 61lbs
Al Cole - 60lbs
Larry Holmes - 59lbs
Bert Cooper - 56lbs
Mike Weaver - 55lbs
"Bonecrusher" Smith - 55lbs

We need more fun trivia, so when this thread fizzles out, I hope sonnyboyx2 will post the obvious follow-up question: Name fighters who have LOST over 30lbs during their carrer! Not nearly as many candidates as for this one... so that would be quite interesting.
James Toney - more than 50
Michael Moorer - 80 lbs from lowest to highest 171 to 251
Oliver McCall - more than 40
David Tua - more than 40
Joe Siciliano
Eric "Butterbean" Esch
Sam Langford
Guillermo Jones - more than 50
Jorge Fernando Castro
George Foreman
Thomas Hearns
Vassily Jirov
Orlin Norris
Manny Pacquiao - more than 40

surprisingly - Delahoya put 30 but no more , maybe really slightly less
also - i do not consider roy jones here - as it was obvious he could have easily make less than 190 in his fight with ruiz where he was officially 193.

jrosales13
03-02-2010, 10:24 AM
I don't think I saw Freddie Steele mentoned here. He started at 105lbs as a very young teenager and won the middleweight title. I am not sure if he fought any higher than 160 though...

tibbar
10-26-2010, 01:17 AM

are you for real? are you blind? havent you heard the works done by pac each time he fights? wont that make you ripped? if youre going for that logic, should you also suspect floyd? aint floyd ripped enough for you? or you see him as flabby as flab?

katsidis
10-26-2010, 06:05 AM
Riddick Bowe put on 80-100 pounds when he was a teenager

BennyST
10-26-2010, 11:06 PM
One of the greats of all time, and we haven't mentioned him yet! The first major modern weight jumper, The Hitman, Tommy Hearns!

Did anyone say him yet? He went from 140 (though he was fighting WW's) and ended up as a CW. Won titles from WW (147) through to CW (200), although it was only for the IBO title.

Today though, the IBO has suddenly become what may be the next major title because Hatton and Pac held it and they needed to make it seem as they he had a legit title at 140. :thinking:

I doubt Pac will move above 150, but Fly to 150 is a massive leap. 40 pounds and still fighting brilliantly.

Anyway, enough about Pac. Hearns won the IBO CW title from the excellent WBA CW champion Nate Miller, and also had that incredible one punch KO of Lenny LaPaglia at CW too for the WBU title. Brutal.

So he moved up about 60 pounds, winning titles all the way.

I wonder how Williams will go over his career? Already gone 147 to 160 and is still very young and in his prime. If he can increase his skill and power, he could very easily go up much higher and do well still.

I believe Ted Kid Lewis also started at Flyweight and moved up to LHW by the time he finished his career or have we already mentioned him?

Jim Jeffries
10-26-2010, 11:19 PM
One of the greats of all time, and we haven't mentioned him yet! The first major weight jumper, The Hitman, Tommy Hearns!

Did anyone say him yet? He went from 140 (though he was fighting WW's) and ended up as a CW. Won titles from WW (147) through to CW (200), although it was only for the IBO title.

Today though, the IBO has suddenly become what may be the next major title because Hatton and Pac held it and they needed to make it seem as they he had a legit title at 140. :thinking:

I doubt Pac will move above 150, but Fly to 150 is a massive leap. 40 something pounds.

Anyway, enough about Pac. Hearns won the IBO CW title from the excellent WBA CW champion Nate Miller, and also had that incredible one punch KO of Lenny LaPaglia at CW too for the WBU title. Brutal.

So he moved up about 60 pounds, winning titles all the way.

I wonder how Williams will go over his career? Already gone 147 to 160 and is still very young and in his prime. If he can increase his skill and power, he could very easily go up much higher and do well still.

Reminds me of that AM fight between Hearns and Pryor, at like 130 pounds or something like that. Tommy looking like a stick figure. So yeah, he gained a tremendous amount of weight during his career.

Should be noted that Pac is coming into the ring weighing 2 or 3 pounds more at WW than he was at 130 a couple years ago. He's just not draining himself to make weight anymore. Might catch up to him against the much larger Margarito, time will tell.