View Full Version : Memorable Lines by Announcers

1SILVA
12-28-2009, 01:30 AM
What are some of the more memorable lines you remember from a boxing announcer? Here are a few that I recall:

"Down Goes Frazier!!!!!!!+=Foreman-Frazier I by Cosell
"The career of Sonny liston is over!"-Martin-Liston by Cosell.
'It happened, it happened!"-Foreman ko'ing Moorer-by Lampley
"And a new era in boxing has begun."Tyson ko'ing Berbick by Tompkins

Marcov
12-28-2009, 03:45 AM
Some of those are the first I thought of, I'll have watch a few classics tomorrow to come up with more.

MANGLER
12-28-2009, 03:51 AM
"Mike Tyson has been knocked out!": Tyson-Buster

Thread Stealer
12-28-2009, 04:11 AM
"And we, have a new era, in boxing"- Barry Tompkins during Tyson-Berbick

"What an awesome show, what a great, great fight"- Jim Lampley during Hopkins-Trinidad

"Tonight the referee is going to be the most important man in the ring other than the two guys fighting"- George Foreman during Jones-Ruiz

"This is going exactly the way I thought it would"- Manny Steward, every broadcast.

"Oscar is giving me a hard-on!"- Jim Lampley

Alright I made up the last one. He might as well have said that when DLH was stopping Vargas.

One more round
12-28-2009, 04:11 AM
"Definitely"- Lennox Lewis

"This is exactly what I thought would happen"-Emanuel Steward

Bigdaddy_Vh
12-28-2009, 03:14 PM
dude, HAHAHAHAHAHAHA, do you guys remember the first toney-rahman fight? larry was on his meds that night and he called rahman by a totally different name? do you guys remember what it was? i remember i laughed my ass off!!!!

oldgringo
12-28-2009, 05:37 PM
Manny Steward during the 12th round of Toney/Jirov was quite memorable for me.

"Oh my god...he got him with the left hook! The right hand! JIROV IS HURT! JIROV IS HURT! JIROV IS HURT! But he's still smothering James, he's still fighting James, he won't let James get any punching room! Jirov is gone...the left hook again! AND THERE IT GOES AGAIN! Now James' experience is coming through now! OH MY GOD LOOK AT THIS! LOOK AT THIS! OH LOOK AT THIS....OH....OH....THAT'S IT....THAT'S IT...THAT'S DOWN! HE'S GOT HIM DOWN! HE BETTER DO A JULIO CESAR AND RUN ACROSS THE RING RIGHT AWAY!!!

If you didn't know any better you swear he was having an orgasm and/or heart attack. Maybe both at the same time!

For some reason Roy had a memorable line for me in Hopkins/Taylor I.

"He in deep water Larry. Never been in water this deep before!"

Heru
12-28-2009, 05:59 PM
What are some of the more memorable lines you remember from a boxing announcer? Here are a few that I recall:

"Down Goes Frazier!!!!!!!+=Foreman-Frazier I by Cosell
"The career of Sonny liston is over!"-Martin-Liston by Cosell.
'It happened, it happened!"-Foreman ko'ing Moorer-by Lampley
"And a new era in boxing has begun."Tyson ko'ing Berbick by Tompkins

I was watching Frazier-Ellis I not too long ago and Cosell had already pulled that quote out. Great call, but it wasn't improvised like I thought.

You forgot these:

"Absolutely" - Lennox Lewis

"His punches are more crisper" - Emmanuel Steward

1SILVA
12-28-2009, 08:33 PM
Manny Steward during the 12th round of Toney/Jirov was quite memorable for me.

"Oh my god...he got him with the left hook! The right hand! JIROV IS HURT! JIROV IS HURT! JIROV IS HURT! But he's still smothering James, he's still fighting James, he won't let James get any punching room! Jirov is gone...the left hook again! AND THERE IT GOES AGAIN! Now James' experience is coming through now! OH MY GOD LOOK AT THIS! LOOK AT THIS! OH LOOK AT THIS....OH....OH....THAT'S IT....THAT'S IT...THAT'S DOWN! HE'S GOT HIM DOWN! HE BETTER DO A JULIO CESAR AND RUN ACROSS THE RING RIGHT AWAY!!!

If you didn't know any better you swear he was having an orgasm and/or heart attack. Maybe both at the same time!

For some reason Roy had a memorable line for me in Hopkins/Taylor I.

"He in deep water Larry. Never been in water this deep before!"

Merchant, Lampley and Steward were ooing with excitement throughout that entire 12th round. It was great to hear these guys act as fans as they were watching one of the greatest fights of all time come to its conclusion

billionaire
12-28-2009, 08:33 PM
pac-hatton
larry: "pacquiaos hands....are just so fa-"
jim: PACQUIAOS HANDS ARE BLINDINGLY FAST!

hamed-barerea
jim: allah knows how to spell barrera - B-A-R-R-E-R-A!

anytime jim lampley yells basically.....

Slimey Limey
12-28-2009, 09:27 PM
Larry Merchant one time said "I already have 3 drops of blood on my shirt."

Afactor4
12-28-2009, 09:51 PM
"Margarito's eating those punches like M&M's" - Larry Merchant

nomadman
12-28-2009, 11:10 PM
"What a fight! Utterly without boxing skill!"
-Howard Cossell on Lyle vs Foreman

nomadman
12-28-2009, 11:15 PM
"They call this a dream fight. A good dream? A bad dream. An exciting dream?" ;)
-Larry Merchant on Pacquiao De la Hoya

phallus
12-28-2009, 11:21 PM
i remember teddy atlas in the margarito - lujan fight when lujan's ear started to swell up, and the ref stopped the fight. he had a real noo yawk accent, and he said " his eayuh's hangin' awf " and then teddy added , " he shud get dat sutured "

0Rooster4Life0
12-29-2009, 09:18 PM
"Not Really" - Lennox Lewis after every fight when asked if he was ever hurt