View Full Version : keeping your hands up

jatt the ripper
04-26-2005, 03:04 PM
any1 got any good suggestions/training tips that help to keep your hands up in the guard position. Recently i just keep letting my right go down.

Rockin'
04-26-2005, 03:10 PM
I just always touched my thumbs to the side of my jaw. I takes time to lose bad habits of dropping your hands in exchanges but it is easily rectified with constant attention to it. In a short time it will be just what you do and how you do it, bringing your hands back to gaurd position.......Rockin' :boxing:

Natty Dread
04-26-2005, 03:12 PM
I can't help because i keep my left hand down sometimes.

Rockin'
04-26-2005, 03:16 PM
if you continue to say cant then you never will, and the right hands that you will eat flush will get you out of the sport in a quick way. I highly recommend that you change the word cant to I am not brining my left back up. Its all in your mind man, everything starts there..........Rockin' :boxing:

jatt the ripper
04-26-2005, 03:39 PM
i agree its in the mind. i asked the question looking for a quick and easy method, kind of like a 'cheat'. but if i do that it won't be worth it. i'll get it stuck to my jaw in no time. cheers for the quick reply anyway.

jack_the_rippuh
04-26-2005, 04:37 PM
Sometimes learning from your mistakes the hard way, teach you best when it comes to preventing them.

cms
04-26-2005, 05:01 PM
for keeping your hands up , try shadow boxing with weights but pay a lot of attention to when u drop your hands , its a good way to kick the habit

Dyl-G
04-26-2005, 06:07 PM
get in the ring with a head hunter thatll teach you, garaunteed youll neverr wanna put ur hands down again

dino
04-26-2005, 06:16 PM
for keeping your hands up , try shadow boxing with weights but pay a lot of attention to when u drop your hands , its a good way to kick the habit

hahahah@ at his avator

Kid Achilles
04-26-2005, 06:41 PM
cms is that you in your avatar? If so, you look extremely depressed in the picture. You should take a new one. Take it in better lighting and try to look either angry or just cool and confident. The depressed or sad look is not a fitting one for a boxer.

Bubba3000
04-26-2005, 08:19 PM
I agree with Dyl-G. The best way to learn to keep your hands up is to spar with someone who'll nail you every time you drop your guard. Even before I started sparring, I had two coaches in a row who'd smack me with the focus pads every time they saw an opportunity.

Instead of touching my jaw, I like to keep my fingers (in the gloves, of course) up against the sides of my temples. It's what I've been taught, and it helps absorb some of the force when you block hooks. There's some "give" in the fingers as your gloves get hit.

I think the habit of dropping your hands also comes from too much time working the bag on your own and only thinking about punching, instead of always thinking about getting those punches back as quick as possible to defend yourself. Before you even throw that jab, you need to already be thinking about snapping it back into place.

Hunna
04-27-2005, 08:14 AM
get in the ring with a head hunter thatll teach you, garaunteed youll neverr wanna put ur hands down again
i agree, do competitive spar with an experienced fighter who throws alot of punches to body and head, especially a head hunter.

Hunna
04-27-2005, 08:15 AM
BUBBA 3000, that tommy hearns punch is awesome, got me glued to the screen, good stuff, i like it! :)

Bubba3000
04-27-2005, 10:17 AM
It was the first time in over a decade that anyone took Duran to school like that, and no one thought he could do it. Those were the days, man.

Tha Greatest
04-27-2005, 05:11 PM
i agree its in the mind. i asked the question looking for a quick and easy method, kind of like a 'cheat'. but if i do that it won't be worth it. i'll get it stuck to my jaw in no time. cheers for the quick reply anyway.

There are no short cuts in boxing....NONE! ZERO!

The only short cut is hard work...
If your not able to push ur self to not drop ur hands, then u will not be very successful, there is much harder stuff in boxing than that, for example a right hand flush to the chin...

and ya work with a experienced person in sparring and they will nail u everytime u drop the left hand, and when you do punch mitts with ur coach, they should smack u in tha face REAL hard when u drop that hand...

Rampage*
04-27-2005, 07:37 PM
Lol lets get back on topic, keep you hand glued to your cheekbone, and think about keeping it there. That used to be a big problem when I was doing glove work in the ring, but when I was sparring I would really think about what I was doing, and my hands would stay there.