View Full Version : training

Rovers
04-26-2005, 12:41 PM
hi

im small for my age ,when i spar i dont hav power like other ppl my age but i hav speed and stamina but i wanted to know how how to develop harder punch without putin on strenth by weights cos i heard its bad if u wanna lose that muscle
thnx

Kid Achilles
04-26-2005, 01:08 PM
Just work on your technique and getting your weight into your punches. If you want to get stronger do pullups and hindu squats. You sound like you're still a kid so you may not be so small once you hit a growth spurt. How old are you? If you are under 15 I wouldn't lift too much as you may damage your growth plates and stunt your growth.

Rovers
04-26-2005, 01:28 PM
im 15 ,5'1 -small lol

akins12732
04-26-2005, 05:12 PM
hwo much do you weigh

Bubba3000
04-26-2005, 08:22 PM
Judging by your other post about where to get handwraps, I'm assuming you're not actually training with a coach in a boxing gym yet, right?

PunchDrunk
04-27-2005, 02:29 AM
Just work on your technique and getting your weight into your punches. If you want to get stronger do pullups and hindu squats. You sound like you're still a kid so you may not be so small once you hit a growth spurt. How old are you? If you are under 15 I wouldn't lift too much as you may damage your growth plates and stunt your growth.

How do you propose pullups will increase punching power? You're training the antagonist muscles to the ones activated in a punch, so it's really not specific to punching at all...

Rovers
04-27-2005, 02:30 PM
Judging by your other post about where to get handwraps, I'm assuming you're not actually training with a coach in a boxing gym yet, right?

yes im amatuer but cant fight till i get braces out

Bubba3000
04-27-2005, 02:40 PM
Do yourself a favour, then. Don't worry about punching at all yet. If you're serious about learning to box, the biggest mistake you can make is getting a bag now and trying to teach yourself to punch hard. Later on when you go to a proper gym and get a coach, you're going to have tons of bad habits and it'll be twice as hard to teach you anything. Most young people don't listen to this and you probably won't either, but it's true. For now, just worry about your cardio conditioning. Run a lot, and learn how to sprint. All a boxing coach wants from you is that you're in pretty good shape and you're willing to pay attention and work hard. The rest is up to him.

Kid Achilles
04-27-2005, 04:17 PM
The pullups are to develop his overall upper body strength to help him in the clinches. I didn't say anything about them helping him punch harder.

Tha Greatest
04-27-2005, 05:14 PM
pullups/chin ups, squats, pushups(all kind of variaties), and plyometrics....

In my opinion, the best tool for punching power is the heavy bag...try hitting the BIG bags..

Rampage*
04-27-2005, 08:04 PM
The power will come later, do some jogging, do some pushups, chinups and situps, that should get you prepared for the gym and a trainer.

PunchDrunk
04-28-2005, 03:24 PM
The pullups are to develop his overall upper body strength to help him in the clinches. I didn't say anything about them helping him punch harder.

Since you were answering a question about how to develop puncing power, obviously I assumed that was what you were talking about. I guess I should have known you weren't really answering the question. :D

tyte3
04-29-2005, 02:13 AM
im like him ...5'3 ...90-105llbs...havent checked in a while...15 yesra old....im fast from the speed bad...good conditioning from track n field..and i have good defense...i dont rely too much on power...i just counter punch and give it all my speed....speed can win over power in any fight.

Hunna
04-29-2005, 06:02 AM
better technique and explosive power improve power, through good coaches and sprints (400,200 and 100). although u are a kid, always work 2 ya strengths man, ya stamina and speed, some guy might have heaps of power but be slow, so use ya strengths against it. Look at what RJJ did against Ruiz! Alot of great fighters never had power when they were young, thats prolly an umbrella we all come under. Tommy Hearns wasn't a renowned power puncher in amatuers eh, i know power may seem like a big issue, but i tell u, speed is power, keep punching fast and power will come. :)

jack_the_rippuh
04-29-2005, 01:00 PM
it's good to move when avoiding, but when it's time to hit, stand on your punches, and do alot of works on focus mitts to develop accuracy. You can be the softest puncher in the world, but if you know how to hit the right spots, you can stun anyone, and break them down.

meeny
04-30-2005, 11:47 AM
im like him ...5'3 ...90-105llbs...havent checked in a while...15 yesra old....im fast from the speed bad...good conditioning from track n field..and i have good defense...i dont rely too much on power...i just counter punch and give it all my speed....speed can win over power in any fight.

speed can't win over power in any fight..if you think like that and you go against a heavy handed guy..your prolly gonna get knocked out cuz you think your to quick for him..hard hitters Throw One punch fast..speed people throw alot of punches fast..one punch from the big guy can do as much damage as 3 from the speed guy..it all depends on the each of there boxing styles..you can't say speed will always beat a power puncher..not to sound ****y or anything..i haven't lost..and power is pretty much all i got..i've had 131 fights and almost all of them were mostly speed..i've never even gotten hurt by one of them..they feel like little mosquito bites when they hit you because they try to be quick..they pull there punches back b4 they even hit you

meeny
04-30-2005, 11:49 AM
if you want to gain power hit the heavier bags..and go to a gym and get a trainer..even tho you can't fight just get a trainer..punching power comes mostly from your legs and chest so when your doing workouts for them make them explosive..throw the bar up as fast as u can when you bench..

meeny
04-30-2005, 11:51 AM
if you want to stay a speed person..GET ALOT OF STAMINA..youll always have to be moving around the ring..run atleast 3 miles a day and run 5 on the days u don't go to the gym

boxer Of thE World
04-30-2005, 02:03 PM
im 14 ur 15 k not to many people have a lot of power behind clean punches at our age speed can help soon stength will come just dolight work outs stay lean and not to bulky and soon u will be able to punch very hard and hit heavy bags with a trainer. Get low and have explosive power from ur legs

boxordie
05-04-2005, 01:28 PM
Power comes from the bodies gyration of the hips, legs, and finally the last two inches of muscle tensing action before impact. Haha sounds good on paper but it is to hard to explain without a trainer showing you. Keep up the good work...

buff_mike10
05-04-2005, 09:06 PM
im 14 ur 15 k not to many people have a lot of power behind clean punches at our age speed can help soon stength will come just dolight work outs stay lean and not to bulky and soon u will be able to punch very hard and hit heavy bags with a trainer. Get low and have explosive power from ur legs
Mike Tyson was knocking out grown men at the age of 12, and bench pressing well over 200 pounds. Everybody is different