View Full Version : Ali vs Holmes: Was it as bad as they say?

BoxingPromoter
04-25-2005, 04:35 PM
I consider myself a big Ali fan and I've seen many of his early to mid career fights. But I have not seen the bout between him and Larry Holmes. From what I have heard and read the bout was a total mismatch and Ali took alot of unneccesary punishment before his corner halted the fight. Have any of you guys seen this fight? Is it as bad as everyone says? As a fan of Muhammad Ali's should I watch it or forget about it?

Kid Achilles
04-25-2005, 05:22 PM
Don't watch it unless you're due for a good cry. Probably the most depressing fight in the history of the sport. At one point Howard Cosell (doing the commentary) sounds like he is on the verge of tears.

"His hands no longer busy, his feet no longer swift..."

Rockin'
04-25-2005, 05:46 PM
I agree, it was a sad sight. To see this once great champion taking a beating in his older years from a young stud coming up strong. Its how the game is though, no matter how good you may be time is often the greatest of the greats worst enemy. Sadly, its the way that the torch is past on in our game............Rockin' :boxing:

hollister
04-25-2005, 08:03 PM
I agree, it was a sad sight. To see this once great champion taking a beating in his older years from a young stud coming up strong. Its how the game is though, no matter how good you may be time is often the greatest of the greats worst enemy. Sadly, its the way that the torch is past on in our game............Rockin' :boxing:

Ali caught him a couple of times, but all his power was gone. I hope I don't offend anyone, but it was like watching a school bully pick a fight with a special-ed student.

Foreman
04-25-2005, 08:27 PM
Total mis-match in every way possible. Just about any of the pathetic heavys fighting now would have beat ali on that night. Not even worth watching.

franker01
04-25-2005, 11:58 PM
I remember one quick jab from Ali that landed very well. That was about it.

BadMagick
04-26-2005, 12:05 AM
Don't watch it. It's very sad to see. I almost started crying during the fight. I don't like Ali in general, but he's one of the greatest heavyweights ever, and to see him slapped around like that was heartbreaking.

BoxingPromoter
04-26-2005, 10:24 AM
Thank you guys for all the replies. I should remember Ali when he was at his best vs the likes of Liston,Paterson,Quarry,Frasier,Foreman,etc...

And not at his worst and the punishment he took in his final days in the ring vs guys like Holmes and Berbick

hollister
04-26-2005, 03:01 PM
Or vs. Cleveland Williams, that's my favorite Ali fight

BoxingPromoter
04-26-2005, 03:23 PM
Or vs. Cleveland Williams, that's my favorite Ali fight

How could I forget that fight, by many boxing pundits it is considered one of his finest performances as a pro. Now that's the Ali we should all remember! :boxing:

No-Mas
04-27-2005, 09:41 PM
Ali/Holmes was a fantastic fight.

I never was an Ali fan so to me Ali/Holmes was a great one. It's kind of like watching game six of the 1986 World Series -- you know Mookie's slow grounder to Buckner. I watch that one over and over and Ali/Holmes is just like that one. No greater joy.

Look, Ali fan or not, you can't be afraid to watch it. It's one of Ali's fights, it's on his record, watch the fight. I saw my favorite, Duran, actually quit in the ring! That's a hell of a lot worse than Ali/Holmes, but I watch Duran/Leonard II a lot...but then I put on Duran/Barkley, or Duran/Moore.

Boxing is the best -- all the best fighters have great highs and great lows. That's why we love 'em. You have to watch Ali/Holmes and then all other Ali fights become even more magical.

BoxingPromoter
04-28-2005, 01:39 PM
No-Mas, you've probaly never seen the fight otherwise you wouldn't be calling it a great fight. Who would want to see the greatest sports hero of the 20th century getting hurt in the ring? And to compare Duran's losing fight with Leonard to Ali's fight with holmes is ludricrous because Duran gave up, Ali did not.

No-Mas
04-28-2005, 08:54 PM
BostonGuy, I said I was not an Ali fan, therefore Ali/Holmes to me is a great fight. I am not a Boston Red Sox fan, therefore game six of the 1986 World Series is a great game to me. I am not a Zab Judah fan, therefore Judah doing the wild KO dance after Tszyu dropped him is a great fight for me. That's not too hard to follow, is it?

Ali the greatest sports legend of the 20th century? Quit snorting clam chowder, BostonGuy. Ask Ali who he thinks is a legend. He'll tell you someone named Sugar Ray Robinson. Christ, Ali immitated everything Robinson did in the ring --right down to wearing the exact trunks!

Odd how the "greatest sports legend of the 20th century" couldn't even win the fight of the century. Better do some rethinking there, BostonGuy. Greatest sports legend of the twentieth century? Anyone who has ever seen a Ray Robinson fight is laughing hysterically at you right now, BostonGuy.

And don't ever say a bad word about Duran. That guy is in his mid-fifties and he could slaughter you, me, and everybody on the internet in about twenty minutes time. That guy was and still is the most ferocious fighter that ever lived.

M26
04-28-2005, 09:55 PM
BostonGuy, I said I was not an Ali fan, therefore Ali/Holmes to me is a great fight. I am not a Boston Red Sox fan, therefore game six of the 1986 World Series is a great game to me. I am not a Zab Judah fan, therefore Judah doing the wild KO dance after Tszyu dropped him is a great fight for me. That's not too hard to follow, is it?

Ali the greatest sports legend of the 20th century? Quit snorting clam chowder, BostonGuy. Ask Ali who he thinks is a legend. He'll tell you someone named Sugar Ray Robinson. Christ, Ali immitated everything Robinson did in the ring --right down to wearing the exact trunks!

Odd how the "greatest sports legend of the 20th century" couldn't even win the fight of the century. Better do some rethinking there, BostonGuy. Greatest sports legend of the twentieth century? Anyone who has ever seen a Ray Robinson fight is laughing hysterically at you right now, BostonGuy.

And don't ever say a bad word about Duran. That guy is in his mid-fifties and he could slaughter you, me, and everybody on the internet in about twenty minutes time. That guy was and still is the most ferocious fighter that ever lived.

Ali was VOTED the greatest sport legend of the 20th century.... I think this is BostonGuys point as well.

And Ali vs Holmes is by no means a great fight! No matter if you are a fan of Ali or not. This is a one-dimensional beating of an ageing 38-year-old with parkinsons syndrome (it was later found that he already at this stage was starting to show signs of this). An ageing 38-year-old who once upon a time was one of the greatest fighters of all time, taking a terrible beating. It is just sad!

Marciano vs Walcott is a great fight. Ali vs Frazier is a great fight. Dempsey vs Tunney is a great fight. Ali vs Holmes is a sad fight!

BoxingPromoter
05-11-2005, 11:19 AM
I forgot to ask you guys who saw the fight, did Holmes hold back during the fight not wanting to hurt Ali? And did Ali hit Holmes with any substantial punches?combos?

M26
05-11-2005, 01:53 PM
I forgot to ask you guys who saw the fight, did Holmes hold back during the fight not wanting to hurt Ali? And did Ali hit Holmes with any substantial punches?combos?

Yes, Holmes did hold back for a good part of the fight. It looked like he could have ended it at any time. Ali just stood there, covering up. I canīt remember him hitting Holmes with any substantial combos.

marvdave
05-11-2005, 02:02 PM
That was the saddest thing I've ever witnessed in sports. Ali was embarrassing in that fight. Not only in the ring, but the prefight hype was very sad. He couldn't hardly talk anymore. It was the first time in his career that he couldn't command the room. Press conferences were a sad place as well. Larry Holmes started fast, but quickly took it easy on Ali, becuase it was obvious nothing could help Ali. Holmes actually kept asking the ref to stop it. Finally Angie Dundee showed some passion and stopped between rounds. I have the fight on tape, but have only watched it twice. Live and one replay. By the way, I am a huge Holmes fan and I still can't watch.

very sad

abdiel2k3
05-11-2005, 02:39 PM
I consider myself a big Ali fan and I've seen many of his early to mid career fights. But I have not seen the bout between him and Larry Holmes. From what I have heard and read the bout was a total mismatch and Ali took alot of unneccesary punishment before his corner halted the fight. Have any of you guys seen this fight? Is it as bad as everyone says? As a fan of Muhammad Ali's should I watch it or forget about it?
ya it is as bad as they say
should u watch it?
id say u shouldnt but its good too watch still
to see the tragedy that some boxers become
how they just can let go or pass up a chance at glory
but its def a borderline tear jerker

fistlegend
10-29-2005, 01:36 PM
no-mas, ali better'ed sugar ray robinsons style... ali was an amazing boxer, i dont know what you have against him, but he was an amazing spectacle in the ring, a tremendous fighter, he had heart

Dempsey 1919
10-29-2005, 01:55 PM
the ali-holmes fight was a mismatch, but before the fight ali took some drug that messed with the part of his brain that controlled his reflexes for most of the fight. it didn't even look like he was trying to do anything. had he not have taken the drug, it would not have been as lopsided as it was. although holmes still would have won no doubt, because he is the closest heavyweight to ali the world has ever seen. it was almost like an old ali fighting a young one! the old won didn't stand a chance.

yes it was sad. i saw it, and i almost cried too. however, larry took some tripe long after that fight about how he was a monster or something. he is still maligned to this very day for that night! he should have not have taken such a verbal thrashing. he did his job. nobody told ali to get in the ring again. it is his own fault. i read the book Facing Ali and he said that in the 70s, when he was ali's sparring partner that in the camps ali was an overwelming womanizer! he said and i quote, "he would **** a snake if you held it down for him." he said ali was not always the great person he is made out to be. i think the man deserves credit for whupping the best boxer ever. holmes is the second most underrated boxer of all time (under joe frazier). he needs the praise about ten times as much as someone like tyson.

Skydog
10-29-2005, 02:06 PM
Ali vs. Holmes and Marciano vs. Louis are two of the saddes moments in boxing to me. The 2 greatest fighters of all time, getting the hell beaten out of them by 2 younger, and rising stars.

I also think when Tyson lost to Douglas was very sad. All Tyson had in his life for him was boxing, and it all ended right there in Tokyo. Tyson trying to grab his mouthpiece is one of the most emotional things I've ever seen.

fistlegend
10-29-2005, 02:57 PM
yeah, i've also seen the alivholmes fight, and it is very sad, and the drug that ali took was given to him by the doctors, which sapped his strength but made him look great, it made him lose weight v.fast, but it had its consequence, sapped his strength made him move like an old man

habZ
10-29-2005, 03:15 PM
The drug he using made Ali look good but like Dundee said 'the tank was empty'.

It was sad to see Ali finished on his stool :(

fistlegend
10-29-2005, 03:31 PM
'he looked like a picture of health never looked better, but when he got in the ring it sapped his strength the tank was empty'

quoted from Dundee

Linx
10-29-2005, 03:36 PM
I watched the fight ages ago. I remember Ali was just standing and couldn't let his hands go, it was unreal. He looked in great shape, WAY better than his fights with Spinks (think ali weighted in at 217). He couldn't do anything and just got pummelled by a young Larry Holmes.

Kimmy
10-29-2005, 04:10 PM
It was painful. Ali, just laying on the ropes and Holmes too sensitive to fire any hard punches. I ordered the fight and watch it. It's because its history and should be watched as it chronicles Ali's career. There is always the bad with the good and this is no exceptation. You should watch it, for Ali`s sake!

fistlegend
10-29-2005, 05:53 PM
ali weighed at 224-7, alittle heavier then when he fought foreman

Dempsey 1919
10-30-2005, 11:11 PM
ali weighed at 224-7, alittle heavier then when he fought foreman
ali when he fought holmes was 217.

whatdahieu
10-30-2005, 11:45 PM
i believe the drug he was taking was tyroid? don't quote me on this.
but it was a potentailly lethal drug and ali took 3 times the prescribed amount like all his other vitamins
did it have a negative consquence?
that is what ppl should concentrate on.
hmmmm lets see, after the bout with holmes he took a bout with trevor berbick most remembered by getting decked by tyson, in what was the drama in the bahama, in that bout he showed some decent skills, he flicked his jabs well, was on his toes at various points, mustered some offense, and actually did well enough for some to believe he actually WON that fight.
mind you that yes berbick was really a very green fighter when they fought but he trained extremely hard for a chance to fight the greatest adn anyone knows a very determined but unskilled foe still has a chance.
my analysis is that ali was older and theoretically should've been way worse due to a combo of age and parkinson's and the fact he was up against a young, hungry fighter in trevor berbick but most feel he should've won this fight.
so YES i believe this was the problem the drug made him lose, i'm not fond of ali at all but lets face facts he was incredibly horrible when he fought holmes, and yet a fight later many viewed he got robbed against another rising star.
BTW holmes would've won but it would'nt be so bad

Dempsey 1919
10-30-2005, 11:58 PM
exactly what i said.

salsanchezfan
10-31-2005, 12:13 AM
Holmes-Ali was the single saddest event I watched since I've been following boxing. It's all been rehashed here, but Ali had absolutely nothing. I give Holmes credit for pulling his punches at times during the fight; I even remember him appealing to the referee to stop it at one point.

And Ali's corner should be taken to task here too for not stopping it sooner. They should have known better than anyone in the arena or watching it on TV that it was a lost cause.

TheBostonBasher
01-26-2006, 02:50 AM
I always really dug the Holmes/Ali fight. It always stuck me as one of the sexiest fights in history. It could have only been better if Larry would have been throwing real punches and knocked that clown clean out. Sexy fun time I have watchin' Ali's eyes get all big after some of the more serious blows in the early rounds, man it turns me on. Yeah! He was a paper champion and Holmes proved it!

PS- Round 7 of his last carrer fight with T.B. was another round that turns me on oine Ali got slammed good and almost went down, which would have been glorious!!! :boxing:

Heckler
01-26-2006, 05:34 AM
I always really dug the Holmes/Ali fight. It always stuck me as one of the sexiest fights in history. It could have only been better if Larry would have been throwing real punches and knocked that clown clean out. Sexy fun time I have watchin' Ali's eyes get all big after some of the more serious blows in the early rounds, man it turns me on. Yeah! He was a paper champion and Holmes proved it!

PS- Round 7 of his last carrer fight with T.B. was another round that turns me on oine Ali got slammed good and almost went down, which would have been glorious!!! :boxing:

Yeah a 38 year old man, taken some of the most brutal punishment seen in boxing, with parkisons is a paper champion cos he got beaten by a brilliant boxer in his prime, ****en moron... you dont have to like Ali, but anyone whom appreciates boxing should atleast RESPECT him.

Kimmy
01-26-2006, 10:42 AM
And Ali's corner should be taken to task here too for not stopping it sooner. They should have known better than anyone in the arena or watching it on TV that it was a lost cause.
"Believe, Dundee wanted this fight stopped around the fifth round but he was scared off doing so because Eligeih Muhammad, Ali's manager, was in the audience and got word to Dundee that any attempt to stop the fight and prevent God's intervention would result in serious damage to he and his own.

Only in the tenth round did Ali's manager gave signal to Dundee that he could stop the fight."

Ref: Thomas Hauser, Ali: 2000 re-print

Frazier's 15th round
01-26-2006, 12:40 PM
Ali's corner was pretty cruel throughout his career. You have Dundee pushing him out blind into Round 5 against Liston, you had them telling him to suck it up and keep going while he was nearly passing out against Frazier III, and now I learn that Elijah Muhammad wouldn't let Dundee stop it until round 10.

Brassangel
01-26-2006, 01:03 PM
It wasn't a pretty fight. Keep in mind that Holmes had the privelage of being Ali's sparring partner for a while, and he could have been a formidable opponent for Ali in any era. While Muhammad would have won 2 out of 3 (perhaps), Holmes is one of the all-time greats. Pitting a brilliant Holmes against a 38 year old man and allowing the fight to go beyond 5 was rediculous.

Dempsey 1919
01-26-2006, 02:57 PM

you are one gay ******. i'm sure even the ali that fought holmes would beat your ass with ease, you cunt. "ali was a paper champ" STFU, if ali was a paper champ then every other champion in sports history was and is a paper champion you stupid mofo. the guy had parkinson's disease and was on drugs, that don't mean ****! lol, you must be a white racist or joe frazier or someone else that ali KTFO! you're a brainless prick, so go post your bull**** elsewhere.

Southpaw Stinger
01-26-2006, 03:36 PM
you are one gay ******. i'm sure even the ali that fought holmes would beat your ass with ease, you cunt. "ali was a paper champ" STFU, if ali was a paper champ then every other champion in sports history was and is a paper champion you stupid mofo. the guy had parkinson's disease and was on drugs, that don't mean ****! lol, you must be a white racist or joe frazier or someone else that ali KTFO! you're a brainless prick, so go post your bull**** elsewhere.

I'm sure the guy was joking. If he was being serious then he deserves a good whuppon! :boxing:

Boxclever
01-26-2006, 03:49 PM

If you watch it you WILL be upset. I've seen it once and will NEVER watch it again. :(

Frazier's 15th round
01-26-2006, 04:38 PM
or joe frazier or someone else that ali KTFO

To knock someone the **** out, you'd have to knock them down, first.

hellfire508
01-26-2006, 11:35 PM
Muhammad's fight against Holmes was atrocious. Of course, his age was a major factor - and the fact that he was shot. But in addition, his health was affected by a prescribed drug that Herbet Muhammad's doctor (Dr. Charles Williams) had given Ali. He prescribed a drug called Thyrolar, which was to help Ali's 'hyperthyroid' condition, which was diagnosed by Williams. The side effects of the drug included speeding up the metabolism of the body, and failing the cooling mechanisms within body. This meant that Ali was constantly losing weight, and always feeling sluggish and fatigued.

So by fight time, Ali could barely throw a punch, let alone dance and clown like he used to. He had a sparring session with a guy called Marty Monroe, who was a cruiserweight - just before the fight. Ali always lost in sparring - working on his weaknesses. But this time it was different, he was trying his absolute best, and Monroe beat the living **** out of him, which proves his appalling health condition. How Muhammad was allowed to fight is totally beyond me. A trusted physician said there is no way Ali should fight, the day before the fight. He was falling asleep all the time, couldn't even do roadwork.

Dr Williams was full of ****, he didn't even conduct tests to make his diagnosis, he just assumed that's what it was. If it weren't for him, the fight may have been a little better. Ali may have won a couple of rounds. But the fight was a shut out, he looked like a 60 year old man. His chin and heart kept him going, and if it weren't for his corner throwing in the towel, he may not even be alive today.

The Berbick fight on the other hand, was a bit more competitive. Ali was still shot, but didn't have the same health problems from the Holmes fight. Berbick was the aggressor, and landed to the body alot. But still, Berbick won comfortably.

The Holmes fight is extremely depressing for me to watch. It is my biggest idol getting destroyed by an opponent he most likely would have beaten in his prime.

I was upset for Tszyu losing to Hatton, my idol getting crushed. I was upset for Morales losing to Pacquiao, another idol tasting the canvas for the first time, but went out on his shield. But Holmes-Ali was far, far worse. Ali was a warrior, but could do nothing. Couldn't fight back. Sad fight.

American_Ninja
01-27-2006, 02:21 PM
I was at this fight and saw Ali sparring before the fight. One day he sparred 14 rounds with 7 different sparring partners. He looked good. He didnt show signs of fatigue. Thats was a week before the fight. Once the fight started it didnt take long for everyone to see that something was not right. Holmes was in his prime. Ali did nothing, or couldnt do anything. Luckily Holmes had sympathy for his one time mentor and started motioning for the Ref, to stop it. Yes, Holmes held back towards the end. He knew Ali was finished. I was so shocked and upset. I headed for the exit as fast as I could. Didnt want anyone to see me cry. I'll never forget that night.

flecka
01-27-2006, 02:26 PM
definately dont watch this fight if you are an ALI fan, it was a complete mismatch with Larry Holmes at times standing back and practically begging the referee to stop the fight. a sad day for ali and boxing

evtv1
01-27-2006, 04:05 PM
You just have to remember him in his prime.

Ali - Skill, Brains and Guts
http://www.evtv1.com/index.asp-itemnum-207

Dempsey1238
01-27-2006, 04:32 PM
yeah it was sad, to see Holmes beat a Ali, that could not even thown a punch.

I only rember a few jabs Ali thown, but other than that. Holmes was hitting Ali often early, and than he back off.

But we all should know this sport, the young eats the old.

Even thought I was not born in the 1930's(1981 is DOB)

I was watching shot Benny L get hammer by Jimmy McClarin. Sad. it was truely sad to watch this great fighter, old and shot, get ko in 6 easy rounds. And even getting knockdown.

OTher one already mention before is Louis vs Marciano. Marciano just ate Louis up and spit him out.

Of couse Holyfiled's recent fights of late are sad to watch. Him vs Toney had me pretty sad.

And Ray Robinson's last bouts, even with Joey Archer. These guys fight on pass there best. And in the end, they get beating by the young guys.

Of couse the image of Louis being send out of the ring, and helpless, is a strong one. Just as seeing Bennny L knockdown in round 2.

BBKing
01-27-2006, 10:56 PM
Yeah it was bad. As the saying goes Ali "got old before our eyes". I always think it's sad when a great champion's age catches up to him and he is made to look like a bum. :( Holmes even claims to have felt sorry for his idol Ali as he was pummeling him.

robertolarocca
04-09-2007, 12:53 PM
First of all, all you cry-baby Ali fans who say it was sad to see, and hard to watch better do your Ali homework! Poor Muhammad had no pity or sympathy on a 47 yr old Archie Moore when he beat him up & took 'em out in 4 rounds!

Secondly, it wouldn't have mattered anyhow the timeframe when Holmes & Ali met in the the ring? Holmes would've beat Ali anyway! Just think about it?

Think of all of Ali's opponents that gave him pur HELL in the ring! People like Norton, whom I dare say in my book actually won 2 out of their 3 fights...and Shavers..he had Ali so scared he was jumping out of his boots from the hard blows...

Now..Larry did way better than Ali on these 2 guy's...He went toe to toe with a still prime Norton, and he wasn't afraid to mix it up with Shavers and took his hardest punches & won both fights!

And also, Ali let a 7-0 Neon Leon beat him, when Larry disposed of Spinks in rather quick fashion by way of TKO.

But getting back to "YOU GUY'S" feeling sad for Ali in the holmes fight..just call yourself lucky that Holmes did have some sympathy & not destry your hero in quicker fashion by way of Knockout, in which he could've easily that night, but chose to carry his idol as long as he could.

Ali is a man..a tough competitor...a pro...And, it may sound like I'm hatin' on The Greatest, but I'm not..I'm a fan..but this whole Boo-Hoo-ing crap about the Holmes-Ali fight makes me laugh...

It happens in all boxing, even when your hero took no pity on aging fighters, it was no big deal then? why is it for him? Holmes is the Best Heavyweight that ever lived in my book

LondonRingRules
04-09-2007, 02:59 PM
Holmes is the Best Heavyweight that ever lived in my book
** Wow, the world's first 1 line book. Congrats!

Solntse
04-09-2007, 03:07 PM
Marciano-Louis was harder to watch than this one, because Louis had to fight because he was broke. Watching a legend go take a beating for a few bucks was really sad.

Southpaw Stinger
04-09-2007, 03:36 PM
** Wow, the world's first 1 line book. Congrats!

LOL! :fing02:

American_Ninja
04-09-2007, 05:41 PM
First of all, all you cry-baby Ali fans who say it was sad to see, and hard to watch better do your Ali homework! Poor Muhammad had no pity or sympathy on a 47 yr old Archie Moore when he beat him up & took 'em out in 4 rounds!

Secondly, it wouldn't have mattered anyhow the timeframe when Holmes & Ali met in the the ring? Holmes would've beat Ali anyway! Just think about it?

Think of all of Ali's opponents that gave him pur HELL in the ring! People like Norton, whom I dare say in my book actually won 2 out of their 3 fights...and Shavers..he had Ali so scared he was jumping out of his boots from the hard blows...

Now..Larry did way better than Ali on these 2 guy's...He went toe to toe with a still prime Norton, and he wasn't afraid to mix it up with Shavers and took his hardest punches & won both fights!

And also, Ali let a 7-0 Neon Leon beat him, when Larry disposed of Spinks in rather quick fashion by way of TKO.

But getting back to "YOU GUY'S" feeling sad for Ali in the holmes fight..just call yourself lucky that Holmes did have some sympathy & not destry your hero in quicker fashion by way of Knockout, in which he could've easily that night, but chose to carry his idol as long as he could.

Ali is a man..a tough competitor...a pro...And, it may sound like I'm hatin' on The Greatest, but I'm not..I'm a fan..but this whole Boo-Hoo-ing crap about the Holmes-Ali fight makes me laugh...

It happens in all boxing, even when your hero took no pity on aging fighters, it was no big deal then? why is it for him? Holmes is the Best Heavyweight that ever lived in my book

Ali in his prime would have beatin Holmes, no question. Those who were saddened by that fight, had seen him at his best, and had grown to love him. He was 36 when he lost to a young lion in Leon Spinks. The guy Holmes fought was a burned out drug addict. A still prime Norton? Hardly, Norton had been KO'd by Foreman. And to say Ali was afraid of Shavers is just plain stupid. Shavers knocked Holmes down and nearly out, He couldn't knock Ali down. Ali passed the torch that night, long ago to Holmes. I was there at ring side, and I saw it happen.

.Mik.
04-09-2007, 06:31 PM
Marciano-Louis was harder to watch than this one, because Louis had to fight because he was broke. Watching a legend go take a beating for a few bucks was really sad.

Not to mention the horrible reasons for him being broke. The guy was a hero.

Dempsey 1919
04-09-2007, 06:32 PM
Not to mention the horrible reasons for him being broke. The guy was a hero.

:fing02:...

Carolina Bomber
04-09-2007, 06:42 PM

I read somewhere that Ali was sabotaged in the weeks leading up to the fight, one of his trainers or fight doctors or something started giving him these pills to take, and Ali took them thinking they were vitamins or something because he trusted the guy, and shortly after that he went from running 6 miles a day to barely being able to run a mile. At one point in training for the fight Ali sparred 36 straight rounds, but then was barely able to make it for the fight.

Southpaw Stinger
04-10-2007, 08:56 AM
I read somewhere that Ali was sabotaged in the weeks leading up to the fight, one of his trainers or fight doctors or something started giving him these pills to take, and Ali took them thinking they were vitamins or something because he trusted the guy, and shortly after that he went from running 6 miles a day to barely being able to run a mile. At one point in training for the fight Ali sparred 36 straight rounds, but then was barely able to make it for the fight.

They were pills to try to corect his thyroid problems but they ****ed up with his body's cooling system. If you watch the fight footage against Holmes you can see Ali doesn't even sweat. I don't know whether it was a sabotage. I heard the doctor gave them to him in his best interests but they just didn't have the right effect.

Yaman
04-10-2007, 09:29 AM
Well i can agree with that. Ali at the time definitely could have done better. He barely threw anything and it looked like he didn't know where he was.

SABBATH
04-10-2007, 10:54 AM
http://www.boxingscene.com/?m=show&id=4415

http://www.boxingscene.com/?m=show&id=4513

This article provides details into Ali's drug use prior to the Holmes fight, the second link in particular.

bill1234
04-12-2007, 08:16 PM
Shavers knocked Holmes down and nearly out, He couldn't knock Ali down.

Shavers knocked Ali down, and he also near beat him. Holmes was almost KO'd by one of the best if not the best right hands Shavers ever through and landed clean on the chin.

Dempsey 1919
04-14-2007, 01:50 PM
Shavers knocked Ali down

No, he didn't.

Boxclever
04-16-2007, 06:53 AM
No, he didn't.

Didn't Ali fight Berbick after Holmes and put in an improved performance so it must have been down partly to the pills i guess.

Southpaw Stinger
04-16-2007, 09:32 AM
Didn't Ali fight Berbick after Holmes and put in an improved performance so it must have been down partly to the pills i guess.

yeah and the fact that Berbick wasn't in the same league as Holmes. But the pills were partly responsible.

Dempsey 1919
04-16-2007, 03:34 PM
yeah and the fact that Berbick wasn't in the same league as Holmes. But the pills were partly responsible.

:fing02:...