View Full Version : famous mexican boxers ?

kdr
04-25-2005, 10:19 AM
hi
if any one speak about mexican boxers and the famous boxers there
i will be appreciate
and 10x :d

xcaret
04-27-2005, 03:42 PM
theres alot, i like barrera and morales...

Tiredoldngrey
06-18-2005, 03:46 AM
I grew up in LA-area, watching Olivares, Zarate, Zamora, Little Red Lopez, the Sandovals and Alberto Davila. Interesting thing about Zarate and the famous Mexican hook to the liver; he didn't throw it often at all. What he did, and it is unique, was constantly use a short jarring left uppercut to the belly. He used it like most fighters use a jab. Also, despite his height, his efective punches were rarely from the outside; he often came inside under cover of a long looping right and would land his very powerful and short left hook. His right uppercut was also quite damaging.

Roberto_Roldan_
06-05-2006, 01:46 PM
JCC cant forget that one

hellfire508
06-05-2006, 09:12 PM
Chavez would be the most famous I'd say.

Then you've got Sanchez, Lopez, Zarate, Morales, Barrera etc.

Round 1
06-05-2006, 09:34 PM
I grew up in LA-area, watching Olivares, Zarate, Zamora, Little Red Lopez, the Sandovals and Alberto Davila. Interesting thing about Zarate and the famous Mexican hook to the liver; he didn't throw it often at all. What he did, and it is unique, was constantly use a short jarring left uppercut to the belly. He used it like most fighters use a jab. Also, despite his height, his efective punches were rarely from the outside; he often came inside under cover of a long looping right and would land his very powerful and short left hook. His right uppercut was also quite damaging.
Carlos "El Caņas" Zarate was always exiting to watch, can't forget his fight against Alfonso Zamora at the Forum in Inglewood, Zamoras father and Zarates trainer, El Cuyo Hdez, got into a fist fight there in the ring at the end of the fight.

K-DOGG
06-05-2006, 09:50 PM
Off the cuff, definetly Carlos Zarate, Salvador Sanchez, Ruben Olivarez, Danny Little Red Lopez,...even Pipino Cuevas (during his title reign, excluding the Tommy Hearns fight,of course)...Julio Caesar Chavez. There are a few others....actually, a couple of months ago Ring Magazine had a Mexican Boxers issue where it named the top 20 of all time, in their estimation...very interesting read.

K-DOGG
06-05-2006, 09:53 PM
Carlos "El Caņas" Zarate was always exiting to watch, can't forget his fight against Alfonso Zamora at the Forum in Inglewood, Zamoras father and Zarates trainer, El Cuyo Hdez, got into a fist fight there in the ring at the end of the fight.

Helluva Avatar....makes me want to desecrate a flag...and not in a bad way. :rolleyes:

Ricomania77
06-06-2006, 02:19 AM
Off the cuff, definetly Carlos Zarate, Salvador Sanchez, Ruben Olivarez, Danny Little Red Lopez,...even Pipino Cuevas (during his title reign, excluding the Tommy Hearns fight,of course)...Julio Caesar Chavez. There are a few others....actually, a couple of months ago Ring Magazine had a Mexican Boxers issue where it named the top 20 of all time, in their estimation...very interesting read.
could you post the link to that? or at least write down the list?

Amaro
06-06-2006, 03:09 AM
i LIKE JOSE "TOLUCO" LOPEZ

BACK IN THE 1930S THEIR WAS KID AZTECA ,BABY CASANOVA, AND BABY ARIZMENDI

Yogi
06-06-2006, 03:33 AM

Here you go, buddy;

1. Julio Cesar Chavez
2. Ruben Olivares
3. Miguel Canto
4. Carlos Zarate
5. Salvador Sanchez
6. Vicente Saldivar
7. Ricardo Lopez
8. Kid Azteca
9. Jose Beccera
10. Humberto Gonzalez
11. Baby Arizmendi
12. Pipino Cuevas
13. Chalky Wright
14. Juan Zurita
15. Carlos Palomino
16. Jose Luis Ramirez
17. Lupe Pintor
18. Daniel Zaragoza
19. Rodolfo Gonzalez
20. Jesus Pimentel

ferocity
06-06-2006, 04:04 AM
Ramon "Yori Boy" Campas hasn't been mentioned

Mario "Alzbeche" (sp) Martinez, a couple of trainers tell me Martinez at the time he faced Chavez was more popular then Chavez

Miguel Angel Gonzalez

Jose "Manteqia" Napoles, Mexican citzan was famous in Mexico and last time i spoke with a few boxing fans in tijuana they mentioned napoles name

their are other fighters that were well known, some of my previous co-workers could name, names of famous Mexican fighters in their time i just can't recall their names. but they could name a few fighters that they said were good Mexican fighters and well known, of course probably more so in Mexico

Antonio Margarito is growing in popularity

I forget his name but his nickname was "El Bollio or Bollo" he fought at jr. welterweight and welterweight i think his name was carlos somthing

Alejandro "la cobrita" Gonzalez

Manuel "manteqia" Medina

their is also Juan and Rafael Marquez

Jose Luis Castillo

Jorge Arce

Martin Castillo is growing in popularity

Juan Diaz

Antonio Diaz

Julio Diaz

Jose Luis Lopez

Guty Espadas Sr. Jr. was also well represented

Francisco "panchito" Bojado

these are the ones the havn't been mentioned and theirs a few other of course that im forgetting

K-DOGG
06-06-2006, 05:09 PM

Not sure if there is a link; but give me a day and I'll dig up my copy and post the names.

K-DOGG
06-06-2006, 05:10 PM
Here you go, buddy;

1. Julio Cesar Chavez
2. Ruben Olivares
3. Miguel Canto
4. Carlos Zarate
5. Salvador Sanchez
6. Vicente Saldivar
7. Ricardo Lopez
8. Kid Azteca
9. Jose Beccera
10. Humberto Gonzalez
11. Baby Arizmendi
12. Pipino Cuevas
13. Chalky Wright
14. Juan Zurita
15. Carlos Palomino
16. Jose Luis Ramirez
17. Lupe Pintor
18. Daniel Zaragoza
19. Rodolfo Gonzalez
20. Jesus Pimentel

Oh hell. Well, nevermind. Who needs a link when you've got a Yogi. :D

ferocity
06-07-2006, 12:43 AM
Here you go, buddy;

1. Julio Cesar Chavez
2. Ruben Olivares
3. Miguel Canto
4. Carlos Zarate
5. Salvador Sanchez
6. Vicente Saldivar
7. Ricardo Lopez
8. Kid Azteca
9. Jose Beccera
10. Humberto Gonzalez
11. Baby Arizmendi
12. Pipino Cuevas
13. Chalky Wright
14. Juan Zurita
15. Carlos Palomino
16. Jose Luis Ramirez
17. Lupe Pintor
18. Daniel Zaragoza
19. Rodolfo Gonzalez
20. Jesus Pimentel

the ring magazien mentioned.....only reired boxers are included and only Mexican born fighters are included...which is why delaoya, napoles, tapia ect. are not included.