View Full Version : Why was it that Ray Robinson was the best?

PeterTheGreat
12-21-2009, 06:50 AM
You hear alot of older folk that have watched boxing way back when talk about how Sugar Ray Robinson was the greatest. And alot of boxing historians say hes PHP#1 in history. Can someone fill me in on why this is? I mean his record is impressive, but I have no clue who he fought other then like Rocky Graziano, and Lamotta.

PeterTheGreat
12-21-2009, 07:02 AM
I might also add its kinda hard to dig up stuff on the guy.

The Stone Roses
12-21-2009, 07:05 AM
HAHHAHAHHA.....did you just start watching boxing yesterday?.....2 time Welterweight Champ.....5 time Middleweight Champ....at one point in his career he was 128-1.....no man ever beat Robinson twice before he reached the age of 40.....Randy Turpin, Bobo Olson, Gene Fullmer, Carmen Basillio, Jake Lamotta, Graziano, Henry Armstrong, just to name a few.....in 200 fights he was never knocked out....never....he retired on his stool once because of dehydration when he was fighting Maxim at Light Heavyweight......

.He consistently fought bigger men his entire career......when he beat Lamotta for the middleweight title, Lamotta weighed 15 pounds more than him....He was the Complete boxer, knock out power with both hands, he threw 5, 6, 7 left hook combinations in a row, brilliant defence, could dance around your arse or stand toe to toe and trade...

PeterTheGreat
12-21-2009, 07:13 AM
HAHHAHAHHA.....did you just start watching boxing yesterday?.....2 time Welterweight Champ.....5 time Middleweight Champ....at one point in his career he was 128-1.....no man ever beat Robinson twice before he reached the age of 40.....Randy Turpin, Bobo Olson, Gene Fullmer, Carmen Basillio, Jake Lamotta, Graziano, Henry Armstrong, just to name a few.....in 200 fights he was never knocked out....never....he retired on his stool once because of dehydration when he was fighting Maxim at Light Heavyweight......

.He consistently fought bigger men his entire career......when he beat Lamotta for the middleweight title, Lamotta weighed 15 pounds more than him....He was the Complete boxer, knock out power with both hands, he threw 5, 6, 7 left hook combinations in a row, brilliant defence, could dance around your arse or stand toe to toe and trade...

Heh, I'v been into it since January(Because of a friend). I saw a Berto fight, and thought this was pretty cool. I was totally sold on boxing however when I watched the Diaz-Marquez fight haha. It only got better though, I mean I'v learned quite a bit about the sport in the past year. And now it's my favorite. I like it more then hockey(I live in canada)! Thanks for the bit of info though. I have a friend who also doesnt really know alot about why sugar ray is one of the best in history.

Sugar Ram
12-21-2009, 07:20 AM
not only that he had an amateur record of 85-0. none of the fighters have that king of record even floyd got beaten in the amateurs..

BulgariasFinest
12-21-2009, 07:24 AM

:biggthump rite on the money

TheHolyCross
12-21-2009, 07:27 AM

bigger my ass, they packed more weight(fat) maybe, but most were shorter

TheHolyCross
12-21-2009, 07:29 AM
not only that he had an amateur record of 85-0. none of the fighters have that king of record even floyd got beaten in the amateurs..

what do you mean "even" floyd? you overrate him that much? and most dont have an unbeaten amatuer record because they have upto 100-300 fights

Ziggy Stardust
12-21-2009, 09:05 AM

You know, he asked a legitimate question. At least he's curious enough as someone new to the sport to want to learn about it; as opposed to a lot of NSB morons who don't know fvck all. How about trying to enlighten him without being a azzhole?

Poet

dans
12-21-2009, 09:53 AM
You hear alot of older folk that have watched boxing way back when talk about how Sugar Ray Robinson was the greatest. And alot of boxing historians say hes PHP#1 in history. Can someone fill me in on why this is? I mean his record is impressive, but I have no clue who he fought other then like Rocky Graziano, and Lamotta.

What you really need to do is just watch some of his fights and highlights. That will tell you everything.

Look at my sig.

Sugar Ram
12-21-2009, 10:11 AM
what do you mean "even" floyd? you overrate him that much? and most dont have an unbeaten amatuer record because they have upto 100-300 fights

no you ****ing ****er even roger mayweather said that he was the greatest fighter who ever lived and then after him its floyd...and fighting 100-300 amateur fights dont mean **** fighting 100plus pro fights and losing 1 is a great feat...and besides all the greats didnt have 100-300 plus amateur fights...those who had 300 fights were sipmliy not ready for the pro game as they had no one to promote them coz bascially they were not impressive enough...so **** ur face u ****ing ****er!!!!!!!!

Sugar Ram
12-21-2009, 10:13 AM
and what u see of his highlights werent his best perfomances...ask bret sugar and the rest...the best of his fights were not captured on flim...!

Slimey Limey
12-21-2009, 10:40 AM
He is the best because the MYTH has lived on. Over 95% of the people who will give their life to defend his "#1 GOAT fo sheezy" haven't seen more than 10 of his fights. He had a lot of flaws which weren't exposed enough because there weren't enough fighters ahead of their time to do it. People mostly give him this honor because of his stats. If that were the case then Chavez should be ranked a lot higher than he is. He was consistent but misses the quality of opposition like an Ali or Leonard to be ranked #1.
I know you lads will feel gooey after reading this but you just need to get used to hearing the truth. The Slimey one has spoken.

Ziggy Stardust
12-21-2009, 11:02 AM
He is the best because the MYTH has lived on. Over 95% of the people who will give their life to defend his "#1 GOAT fo sheezy" haven't seen more than 10 of his fights. He had a lot of flaws which weren't exposed enough because there weren't enough fighters ahead of their time to do it. People mostly give him this honor because of his stats. If that were the case then Chavez should be ranked a lot higher than he is. He was consistent but misses the quality of opposition like an Ali or Leonard to be ranked #1.
I know you lads will feel gooey after reading this but you just need to get used to hearing the truth. The Slimey one has spoken.

Go gargle a grenade you uneducated, bottom-feeding troll :fing26:

Poet

Slimey Limey
12-21-2009, 11:48 AM

Poet

Hurts hearing the truth, doesn't it mate? Of cource you would lash out with insults rather than deal with it. Gay Robinson is overrated,:bottle:

dans
12-21-2009, 12:02 PM
Hurts hearing the truth, doesn't it mate? Of cource you would lash out with insults rather than deal with it. Gay Robinson is overrated,:bottle:

He beat 10 or 11 HOFers, how did he not have competition?

JAB5239
12-21-2009, 12:03 PM
bigger my ass, they packed more weight(fat) maybe, but most were shorter

Middlweights are only bigger today because they are allowed to weigh in 2 days before a fight. If they had to weigh in same day most of todays fighters wouldn't be in their current divisions.

Slimey Limey
12-21-2009, 12:06 PM
He beat 10 or 11 HOFers, how did he not have competition?

I'm not saying he was a bum, this is about him being #1 ever, so i'm comparing him to the real greatest fighters of the sport and that is where you can see that he's overrated.

JAB5239
12-21-2009, 12:12 PM

Only someone unfamiliar with his opposition or circumstances of the era would dismiss it.

JAB5239
12-21-2009, 12:13 PM
I'm not saying he was a bum, this is about him being #1 ever, so i'm comparing him to the real greatest fighters of the sport and that is where you can see that he's overrated.

Ok, who has a better resume, and why?

Slimey Limey
12-21-2009, 12:20 PM

Here's a brutal one for ya lad: Joe Louis:)
Tell me what you think about that one(It would be a healthy brain storm for you seeing as how these 2 are your idols and you have never said anything non-extremely positive about them)

JAB5239
12-21-2009, 12:23 PM
Tell me what you think about that one(It would be a healthy brain storm for you seeing as how these 2 are your idols and you have never said anything non-extremely positive about them)

Sorry, Joe Louis resume isn't even close to Robinsons, and the Brown Bomber's resume is pretty damn good. Try again. This time back your claim with facts and logical reasoning please.

Slimey Limey
12-21-2009, 12:41 PM
Sorry, Joe Louis resume isn't even close to Robinsons, and the Brown Bomber's resume is pretty damn good. Try again. This time back your claim with facts and logical reasoning please.

Elaborate some more for me sir, as you believe I don't know anything about Boxing anyway. I know it's very painful for you, but it will prove to be healthy as a poster for you.

JAB5239
12-21-2009, 12:46 PM
Elaborate some more for me sir, as you believe I don't know anything about Boxing anyway. I know it's very painful for you, but it will prove to be healthy as a poster for you.

In other words you have no defense or logic to back your claims up, right? Its not on me to elaborate, You made the claim. I'll be happy tp tear down any logic you think you can come up with though.

Slimey Limey
12-21-2009, 12:50 PM
In other words you have no defense or logic to back your claims up, right? Its not on me to elaborate, You made the claim. I'll be happy tp tear down any logic you think you can come up with though.

Just as expected, he refuses. I knew you weren't brave enough.
You asked who has a better resume. I mentioned Joe Louis. You haven't said anything to convince me that the overrated Louis does not rank higher, so here's your chance. OR you can just admit it hurts too much to say anything non-positive about these 2 men?

JAB5239
12-21-2009, 12:55 PM
Just as expected, he refuses. I knew you weren't brave enough.
You asked who has a better resume. I mentioned Joe Louis. You haven't said anything to convince me that the overrated Louis does not rank higher, so here's your chance. OR you can just admit it hurts too much to say anything non-positive about these 2 men?

I'll tell you what, why don't you tell me exactly why you think Louis' resume is better (you are the one who made that claim after all) and I'll happily explain to you why you are wrong yet again. Lets go Slimey, time to man up or shut up.

Slimey Limey
12-21-2009, 01:05 PM
I'll tell you what, why don't you tell me exactly why you think Louis' resume is better (you are the one who made that claim after all) and I'll happily explain to you why you are wrong yet again. Lets go Slimey, time to man up or shut up.

You want me to change me mind, and I feel like I don't need to because i'm comfortable with me rankings so I don't need to justify meself to anybody. YOU disagree with me, so it's up to YOU to explain to me in detail why Louis is not as good as Robinson.

Just admit you're too affraid to say anything negative about either of them and move on. Take it or leave it, mate. Chicken****e.

JAB5239
12-21-2009, 01:10 PM
You want me to change me mind, and I feel like I don't need to because i'm comfortable with me rankings so I don't need to justify meself to anybody. YOU disagree with me, so it's up to YOU to explain to me in detail why Louis is not as good as Robinson.

Just admit you're too affraid to say anything negative about either of them and move on. Take it or leave it, mate. Chicken****e.

I don't want you to change your mind at all. I want you to tell me WHY you think Louis has a better resume than Robinson so I can formulate a defense. How can I debate you if you won't tell me the points you are trying to make to solidify your opinion?

JFB629
12-21-2009, 01:16 PM
Well it's not a fact that Robinson is the best. I have heard numerous people over the years have a different fighter as the best to ever lace on the gloves etc Henry Amstrong, Harry Greb, Sam Langford, Muhammad Ali, Willie Pep etc.

But the majority of the boxing world feel Ray Robinson is the greatest prizefighter of all time and for good reason. Ray Leonard once said ''A lot of people say there was a comparision between Sugar Ray Robinson and Sugar Ray Leonard.'' ''Belive me, the was no comparison''

Robinson's resume of victories, consistencey, and skills combined are unmatched in the history of boxing. Robinson's sole loss in his first 132 bouts was to Jake Lamotta, which he avenged 5 times.

Nat Fleischer once wrote in Ring Magazine “Robinson hit the spotlight as the greatest all around fighter, pound for pound, in any division.” They have been saying it about Robinson ever since. The term “pound for pound” has come to exemplify the stature of Ray Robinson as the greatest fighter in boxing history.

Robinson had it all. Magnificent footwork, balance, co-ordination, rhythm, reflexes, precision, extremly fast hands and feet, vicious killer instinct, knockout power, anvil chin, stamina, and ring generalship.

Robinson(whose real name was Walker Smith) at his peak was a near perfect fighting machine.

He was number one ranked Lightweight Contender and defeated Champion Sammy Angott in a non title affair. He was never beaten as a Lightweight or Welterweight, won the Middleweight Title 5 times and come close to winning the LHW Title until the heat got the better of him......

Robinson fought 18 world champions and defeated 10 Hall of Famers.

His resume of wins is argubaly the best in the history of boxing in a career that spanned three decades.

Ray Robinson's Resume Of Wins
-Pete Lello
-Sammy Angott
-Marty Servo (42-0)
-Fritzie Zivic
-Jake LaMotta
-Izzy Jannazzo
-Al Nettlow
-California Jackie Wilson
-Ralph Zannelli
-Henry Armstrong
-Tommy Bell
-Cecil Hudson
-Kid Gavilan
-Steve Belloise
-George Costner
-Robert Villemain
-Charley Fusari
-Jose Basora
-Bobo Olson
-Bobby Dykes
-Cyrille Delannoit
-Randy Turpin
-Rocky Graziano
-Gene Fullmer
-Carmen Basilio
-Denny Moyer

Ray Robinson's Accomplishments
-Rated By Ring Magazine As Greatest Fighter Of All Time
-Just 1 Loss In First 132 Bouts
-Rated Pound For Pound Best Fighter On The Planet
-Muhhamad Ali Called Him Greatest Fighter P4P Fighter Of All Time
-Never Defeated At Welterweight or Lightweight
-Won Middleweight Title 5 Times
-Named The Ring Fighter of the Year for 1942 and 1951
-Named "Fighter of the Century" as well as "Best Middleweight & Best Welterweight of the Century" by The Associated Press in 1999
-Max Schmeling, Ike Williams, and Muhhamad Ali Called Him The Greatest Fighter Of All Time.

Slimey Limey
12-21-2009, 01:19 PM
[COLOR="Navy"][FONT="Tahoma"]I don't want you to change your mind at all.

No? Good. Then you can stop pulling me pants and fook off, innit?

I want you to tell me WHY you think Louis has a better resume than Robinson so I can formulate a defense. How can I debate you if you won't tell me the points you are trying to make to solidify your opinion?"

I'm not looking for a debate with a person who would never change his mind or say anything negative about his 2 favorite fighters. YOU are the one who wants a debate, mate. And if you want that, it's up to you to start one not me.

JAB5239
12-21-2009, 01:20 PM
Well it's not a fact that Robinson is the best. I have heard numerous people over the years have a different fighter as the best to ever lace on the gloves etc Henry Amstrong, Harry Greb, Sam Langford, Muhammad Ali, Willie Pep etc.

But the majority of the boxing world feel Ray Robinson is the greatest prizefighter of all time and for good reason. Ray Leonard once said ''A lot of people say there was a comparision between Sugar Ray Robinson and Sugar Ray Leonard.'' ''Belive me, the was no comparison''

Robinson's resume of victories, consistencey, and skills combined are unmatched in the history of boxing. Robinson's sole loss in his first 132 bouts was to Jake Lamotta, which he avenged 5 times.

Nat Fleischer once wrote in Ring Magazine “Robinson hit the spotlight as the greatest all around fighter, pound for pound, in any division.” They have been saying it about Robinson ever since. The term “pound for pound” has come to exemplify the stature of Ray Robinson as the greatest fighter in boxing history.

Robinson had it all. Magnificent footwork, balance, co-ordination, rhythm, reflexes, precision, extremly fast hands and feet, vicious killer instinct, knockout power, anvil chin, stamina, and ring generalship.

Robinson(whose real name was Walker Smith) at his peak was a near perfect fighting machine.

He was number one ranked Lightweight Contender and defeated Champion Sammy Angott in a non title affair. He was never beaten as a Lightweight or Welterweight, won the Middleweight Title 5 times and come close to winning the LHW Title until the heat got the better of him......

His resume of wins is argubaly the best in the history of boxing in a career that spanned three decades.

Ray Robinson's Resume Of Wins
-Pete Lello
-Sammy Angott
-Marty Servo (42-0)
-Fritzie Zivic
-Jake LaMotta
-Izzy Jannazzo
-Al Nettlow
-California Jackie Wilson
-Ralph Zannelli
-Henry Armstrong
-Tommy Bell
-Cecil Hudson
-Kid Gavilan
-Steve Belloise
-George Costner
-Robert Villemain
-Charley Fusari
-Jose Basora
-Bobo Olson
-Bobby Dykes
-Cyrille Delannoit
-Randy Turpin
-Rocky Graziano
-Gene Fullmer
-Carmen Basilio
-Denny Moyer

Ray Robinson's Accomplishments
-Rated By Ring Magazine As Greatest Fighter Of All Time
-Just 1 Loss In First 132 Bouts
-Rated Pound For Pound Best Fighter On The Planet
-Muhhamad Ali Called Him Greatest Fighter P4P Fighter Of All Time
-Never Defeated At Welterweight or Lightweight
-Won Middleweight Title 5 Times
-Named The Ring Fighter of the Year for 1942 and 1951
-Named "Fighter of the Century" as well as "Best Middleweight & Best Welterweight of the Century" by The Associated Press in 1999
-Max Schmeling, Ike Williams, and Muhhamad Ali Called Him The Greatest Fighter Of All Time.

Great post as usual, JFB.

JAB5239
12-21-2009, 01:23 PM

"

I'm not looking for a debate with a person who would never change his mind or say anything negative about his 2 favorite fighters. YOU are the one who wants a debate, mate. And if you want that, it's up to you to start one not me.

Nice way to duck me there Slimey. So glad this is a public forum and everyone can see how I make you tuck tail and run.

JFB629
12-21-2009, 01:23 PM
Great post as usual, JFB.

Thank You Jab. I would also like to say you in your own right are a fine poster who's a big part of the history section and always wanting to learn. :fing02:

Ziggy Stardust
12-21-2009, 01:28 PM
Nice way to duck me there Slimey. So glad this is a public forum and everyone can see how I make you tuck tail and run.

Of course, expecting Slimey Poophead to man up to anything is a bridge to far methinks. He doesn't debate because he can't debate: All the little bottom-feeding trashbag troll can do is run his c0ckwasher :lol1:

Poet

Slimey Limey
12-21-2009, 01:32 PM

I'm the one challenging you, mate so don't try to switch roles here. So you're the one that shows he doesn't even dare to say anything negative about his 2 idols. Atleast other posters would take the chance and not be affraid to tell me why Gay is better than Louis. Is it that hard to do? I thought you knew boxing mate.

Slimey Limey
12-21-2009, 01:35 PM
Of course, expecting Slimey Poophead to man up to anything is a bridge to far methinks. He doesn't debate because he can't debate: All the little bottom-feeding trashbag troll can do is run his c0ckwasher :lol1:

Poet

Poet

At least he's curious enough as someone new to the sport to want to learn about it; as opposed to a lot of NSB morons who don't know fvck all. How about trying to enlighten him without being a azzhole?:*******:

Poet

][/QUOTE]

This fat, teethless out of shape depressed individual is calling me a troll when those are the only posts he made in this thread.
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/RXux8B88eOg&hl=nl_NL&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/RXux8B88eOg&hl=nl_NL&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

JAB5239
12-21-2009, 05:22 PM
Only someone unfamiliar with his opposition or circumstances of the era would dismiss it.

I don't want you to change your mind at all. I want you to tell me WHY you think Louis has a better resume than Robinson so I can formulate a defense. How can I debate you if you won't tell me the points you are trying to make to solidify your opinion?

"

I'm the one challenging you, mate so don't try to switch roles here. So you're the one that shows he doesn't even dare to say anything negative about his 2 idols. Atleast other posters would take the chance and not be affraid to tell me why Gay is better than Louis. Is it that hard to do? I thought you knew boxing mate.

I think I've just proved again what a liar you are. You just don't want to get into it because you know I'll piss all over your sorry opinions again as usual. Now man up or just quit trolling. When ANYBODY makes a claim, especially one that is specific, it is up to THEM to prove it. Im not gonna play this childish game where you say Louis' resume is better but refuse to state reasons though.

GJC
12-21-2009, 06:45 PM
No problem with you not ranking him as the top P4P thats fair enough there have been a lot of great fighters, Greb has a fantastic record for example. Problem is you don't rate him at all, where do you rank him as a MW or WW, I've seen he doesn't make your top 3 so I'm curious where then?
For my money he might not have been the greatest ever but I haven't seen anyone better.

GJC
12-21-2009, 06:49 PM
Jeez you loath Louis!
So if we try and then say Louis is the best you will throw up SRR's name right?
You just have nothing to contribute and take up the contrary position for attention.
So you must obviously agree that Louis was a fantastic fighter that he has a resume to compare with Robinson's right?

billionaire
12-21-2009, 06:51 PM
and what u see of his highlights werent his best perfomances...ask bret sugar and the rest...the best of his fights were not captured on flim...!

hahaha how can you possibly fall for this? and who cares about his amateur record...he was 6 feet fighting at 130......personally i think louis ali and holmes are better call me crazy....

billionaire
12-21-2009, 06:54 PM
why i rank louis higher than robinson:
so what if robinson was outweighted by 15 pounds vs lamotta.......louis was outweighed by 50 pounds in a few fights and still won by ko.......

Slimey Limey
12-21-2009, 08:31 PM
I think I've just proved again what a liar you are. You just don't want to get into it because you know I'll piss all over your sorry opinions again as usual. Now man up or just quit trolling. When ANYBODY makes a claim, especially one that is specific, it is up to THEM to prove it. Im not gonna play this childish game where you say Louis' resume is better but refuse to state reasons though.

You didn't prove anything. Or actually you did. You fell into my trap, because you were exposed as a biased nuthugger who won't say anything negative about his 2 favorite fighters. It was right after I proved this that I saw that debating a lad like you is like hammering a brick wall. You can use blunt force all you want but it won't budge, mate.

Sugar Ram
12-21-2009, 08:32 PM

****ing ****er **** ur face!!!

Slimey Limey
12-21-2009, 08:33 PM
why i rank louis higher than robinson:
so what if robinson was outweighted by 15 pounds vs lamotta.......louis was outweighed by 50 pounds in a few fights and still won by ko.......

And you can't count any of his losses before he was 40 because he was out of his weight class. And 40+ he was old already.
That's how you built up an overrated legend into the myth he is.

Slimey Limey
12-21-2009, 08:34 PM

Aww, now that's not very nice. "U mad?" as your kind would say.

Sugar Ram
12-21-2009, 08:37 PM
Aww, now that's not very nice. "U mad?" as your kind would say.

calling a legend gay is also not very nice u ****ing piece of a ****!!

Ziggy Stardust
12-21-2009, 08:54 PM
calling a legend gay is also not very nice u ****ing piece of a ****!!

Actually "piece of sh1t" is a step UP for Slimey Poophead :boxing:

Poet

Earl Hickey
12-21-2009, 09:38 PM
What was amazing was that he was outweighed by 15lbs when he fought for the Light Heavyweight Title, and he was winning the fight, but late in the fight he got heatstroke and had to pull out (2 rounds earlier the referee got heatstroke and had to be replaced)

paulsinghnl
12-21-2009, 10:07 PM
What was amazing was that he was outweighed by 15lbs when he fought for the Light Heavyweight Title, and he was winning the fight, but late in the fight he got heatstroke and had to pull out (2 rounds earlier the referee got heatstroke and had to be replaced)

that's the thing that sucked. imagine if he would've won that fight.. this whole thread wouldn't even exist man.. that'd be nuts!

maybe he'd even go for the HW title someday then.. haha, u never know.

The Stone Roses
12-21-2009, 10:21 PM
WOW....just WOW....you have lost all credibility on this site....keep that ****ing stupid mouth shut

GJC
12-22-2009, 12:23 AM
You didn't prove anything. Or actually you did. You fell into my trap, because you were exposed as a biased nuthugger who won't say anything negative about his 2 favorite fighters. It was right after I proved this that I saw that debating a lad like you is like hammering a brick wall. You can use blunt force all you want but it won't budge, mate.
Jabs it counts as bullying to have a battle of wits and intelligence with someone who is un-armed so desist before I am forced to report you :)

JAB5239
12-22-2009, 12:37 AM

Im happy to debate why I think Robinson's resume is superior to Louis or any other fighter you can name. Unfortunately you're to scared to present any facts for me to contradict. Seems to me you want me to debate myself and not you. Typical cowardly behavior from a **** poster.

JAB5239
12-22-2009, 12:49 AM

Normally I frown upon these types of responses. But considering who its directed at it's almost warranted. Had it been pointed towards a poster willing to actually back up what he says with logic and reason I probably would have red K'd you. Since it's not............:dunno:

Word of advice though my man. Responses like this will not endear you to other knowledgeable posters here, and get you banned pretty quick. Try to keep your insults withing the realm of a boxing discussion and don't go overboard like this. All it is is food for the trolls like Slimey who really can't back up their opinions. Jmo.

JAB5239
12-22-2009, 12:55 AM
And you can't count any of his losses before he was 40 because he was out of his weight class. And 40+ he was old already.
That's how you built up an overrated legend into the myth he is.

Of course you don't take into consideration the wear and tear gathered over a 200 fight career against some of the best fighters all time, do you?

JAB5239
12-22-2009, 01:07 AM
WOW....just WOW....you have lost all credibility on this site....keep that ****ing stupid mouth shut

He's never had any credibility on this site.

JAB5239
12-22-2009, 01:09 AM
Jabs it counts as bullying to have a battle of wits and intelligence with someone who is un-armed so desist before I am forced to report you :)

It is sort of like abusing the handicapped, isn't it?

donkim
12-22-2009, 03:48 AM

You may have only been joking here but your mate gabby and the other gremlin do actually go out of their way to report users who disagree with them.Gabby has even gone as far as to searching through my posts and handing out enough of these infractions to get my account suspended.

I'm still awaiting gabs to list James Toney's other bouts as a middleweight after his first fight with McCallum.And how Panama Lewis wasn't the corner man in one of Arturo Gatti's earlier bouts despite actual footage contradicting his claims.

Normally I frown upon these types of responses. But considering who its directed at it's almost warranted. Had it been pointed towards a poster willing to actually back up what he says with logic and reason I probably would have red K'd you. Since it's not............:dunno:

Word of advice though my man. Responses like this will not endear you to other knowledgeable posters here, and get you banned pretty quick. Try to keep your insults withing the realm of a boxing discussion and don't go overboard like this. All it is is food for the trolls like Slimey who really can't back up their opinions. Jmo.

Quite amazing that you act as an apologist for a user who is willing to throw around racial slurs to make his point.

PeterTheGreat
12-22-2009, 06:03 AM
Haha, thx for the info guy's. And what a great internet bout'! You can't deny Robinson's skill, record, etc. And PHP there may be fighters that are better then him. And people back in the day rated him PHP the best because of how damn good he was compared to everyone else. But I think people continue to rank him PHP the best because of what he did for the sport, and how he made fighters what they are today. I mean Muhammad Ali watched his fights over and over again, and would try to emulate his style. Ali's arguebly the best(or close to the best) heavyweight champion of all time. But what do I know I'v only been into boxing since the start of the year haha.

5betlight
12-22-2009, 06:27 AM
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/i9WOdnR-Nfs&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/i9WOdnR-Nfs&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Haha, thx for the info guy's. And what a great internet bout'! You can't deny Robinson's skill, record, etc. And PHP there may be fighters that are better then him. And people back in the day rated him PHP the best because of how damn good he was compared to everyone else. But I think people continue to rank him PHP the best because of what he did for the sport, and how he made fighters what they are today. I mean Muhammad Ali watched his fights over and over again, and would try to emulate his style. Ali's arguebly the best(or close to the best) heavyweight champion of all time. But what do I know I'v only been into boxing since the start of the year haha.

It's P4P, not PHP. PHP is an internet programming language lol.

But yeah, everyone covered this pretty well. He was more dominant in his prime than anyone else in history. 128 wins with only one (decision) loss. That loss coming from another ATG Jake Lamotta and he avenged that loss 5 times and was the only person to genuinely stop Lamotta, who had, in my opinion, the best chin in the history of boxing.

The only person ever to stop Ray Robinson was God himself when he succumbed to 109 degree heat that had already claimed the referee.

billionaire
12-22-2009, 05:46 PM
stop making excuses maxim beat robinson plain and simple........if you go by that logic i guess liston never lost to ali then...........fact is the record speaks for itself...........

JAB5239
12-22-2009, 05:54 PM
stop making excuses maxim beat robinson plain and simple........if you go by that logic i guess liston never lost to ali then...........fact is the record speaks for itself...........

There is a difference between beating someone "plain and simple" and winning fair and square. Maxim did the latter in my opinion. Robinson couldn't continue. But he was winning handily.

GJC
12-24-2009, 03:01 PM
You may have only been joking here but your mate gabby and the other gremlin do actually go out of their way to report users who disagree with them.Gabby has even gone as far as to searching through my posts and handing out enough of these infractions to get my account suspended.

I don't agree with reporting people, except for racism or such like. You wouldn't cause such antogonism towards yourself if you didn't go out of your way to insult people. You are a knowledgable poster, I don't agree with you on a lot of occassions but I wouldn't argue that you know your stuff. Why not put over your opinions in a less confrontational way?

Quite amazing that you act as an apologist for a user who is willing to throw around racial slurs to make his point.
If this is the Poet thing being rehashed then I would say that accusing somebody of racism without foundation is reportable

res
12-25-2009, 03:38 AM
Slimey, logically speaking if you claim that a fighter has a better resume than another fighter who is being discussed, it is up to you to prove your point by comparison, it is not up to the other person to take the fighter YOU have just introduced into the conversation and compare his record to the first one.

JAB5239
12-25-2009, 07:07 AM
Slimey, logically speaking if you claim that a fighter has a better resume than another fighter who is being discussed, it is up to you to prove your point by comparison, it is not up to the other person to take the fighter YOU have just introduced into the conversation and compare his record to the first one.

:lol1: Thank you!!:lol1:

Silencers
12-25-2009, 08:58 AM
I think Robinson put together everything the best, I mean he could do pretty much everything on offense and had good defense too, although he was never a defensive specialist like Pep or anything like that but he put together all his skills really well, his accomplishments and resume speak for themselves.

Clegg
12-25-2009, 09:05 AM
I think Robinson put together everything the best, I mean he could do pretty much everything on offense and had good defense too, although he was never a defensive specialist like Pep or anything like that but he put together all his skills really well, his accomplishments and resume speak for themselves.

Would you rate his defense above Duran's?

Bit of a strange comparison perhaps, but I ask as I think of Duran as a great offensive fighter who was also good defensively.

boxing_great
12-25-2009, 09:30 AM
]

This fat, teethless out of shape depressed individual is calling me a troll when those are the only posts he made in this thread.
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/RXux8B88eOg&hl=nl_NL&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/RXux8B88eOg&hl=nl_NL&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/QUOTE]

this is poet??

minasyan
12-25-2009, 10:02 AM
such a great thread that maybe the mods can delete the bull**** talk on here

i like the thread starter have learnt a couple things here

thanks

by the way peter download the robinson doco in the video section

EMACULATE
12-25-2009, 10:15 AM
I really like Ray Robinson but feel that he is no better than Armstrong, Whitaker, Leonard or Mayweather. All of these fighters were multi-dimentional and could win in various ways. I like Pernell more than any of them because he didnt have the power that any of the others did but he had an excellent jab, excellent hook, could fight aggressivelly or going backwards, go to the body, counter and make a great fighter standing in front of him look out of his league. He should always be ranked ahead of Chavez especially since he spnked that ANUS.

Silencers
12-25-2009, 10:46 AM
Would you rate his defense above Duran's?

Bit of a strange comparison perhaps, but I ask as I think of Duran as a great offensive fighter who was also good defensively.

That's an interesting question, never really thought about it before. I'd say Duran's defense on the inside was better than Robinson's, Duran was a master at slipping, blocking and rolling with shots on the inside while making his own offense at the same time. It was brilliant to watch.

Robinson's defense was better on the outside where he could utilize his legs to maneuver himself in and out of range.

phallus
12-27-2009, 07:14 PM
robinson could outbox a boxer, outpunch a puncher, outdance a dancer. he was probably the most complete fighter

Ziggy Stardust
12-28-2009, 09:47 AM
robinson could outbox a boxer, outpunch a puncher, outdance a dancer. he was probably the most complete fighter

p4p GOAT, no question in my mind.

Poet

GJC
12-28-2009, 12:15 PM
Wouldn't say Robinson was the greatest boxer or puncher etc but he was good at pretty much everything and had no noticable weaknesses.
He tested himself over a long period of time against the best of his era.
I think it is a matter of throwing up someone and seeing if they can stand up to the same amount of scruitiny as SRR.
Like I always say I'm not saying he was/is the greatest but I haven't seen anyone better.