View Full Version : what do you do prior to a fight?

akins12732
04-23-2005, 05:39 PM
like how do you prepare and what exercises do you do?

Hunna
04-25-2005, 08:59 AM
good question, everyone and boxing clubs in particular are different.
there is no real right or wrong way, as long as you dont exhaust or burn yaself out!
its best to keep warm-ups light and fast to warm up reflexes
- light, fast non stop punching for 30 secs at a time ( uppercuts and high inclined punches)
- light jog for a few hundred metres if possible to lossen up followed by a stretch
- quiet thinkn time by yaself, where ur trainer and cornermen should be only persons in the room.
- simple brain and reflex exercises before physical warm-up get u focused
- obviously shadow sparing

* mind you, more expierenced fighters generally do less physical warm-ups and prepare mentally . for example, Joe Louis used to sleep right up until fite time, so his mind and body was fresh, just like waking up in morning.

Rockin'
04-25-2005, 09:09 AM
most of all I just relax, begin focusing my mind at the task that is shortly to come. Loosen your self up good with shadowboxing and light stretches. This is different, but I always shadowboxed with my weights in my hands for a few rounds before gloving up. Then some pad work with your trainer once your gloved. After dropping the weights and gloving up you will find you hands are flying. I always loved the feeling and effect. Ofcourse, get used to using the weights in the gym when shadowboxing first, then it will be a normal and familiar transition from the weights to the gloves.........Rockin' :boxing:

Rockin'
04-25-2005, 09:15 AM
* mind you, more expierenced fighters generally do less physical warm-ups and prepare mentally . for example, Joe Louis used to sleep right up until fite time, so his mind and body was fresh, just like waking up in morning.

Its funny that you would say that, its a good thing to do if you can relax that much right before a fight. One fight that I had I fell asleep about 45minutes before I gloved up. I woke up, like you said, refreshed and clear minded, and stepped up to fight. I was fighting a black guy that was just huge, muscles bulging out everywhere. I ofcourse, was the skinny whiteboy walking to the ring. As I approached the ring I could hear the people in the crowd shouting bets, all wanting the blue corner, I was in the red corner. I looked up and saw this guy in the ring for the first time and was just in shock of the size of the guy. Anyway, had one of the best and cleanest fights in my life. I was 16 and this guy was like 23 or something. I really do believe that having slept right before hand really did help me to focus and show my stuff on this guy. Joe knew what he was doing...............Rockin' :boxing:

Ark
04-26-2005, 02:58 PM
Its funny that you would say that, its a good thing to do if you can relax that much right before a fight. One fight that I had I fell asleep about 45minutes before I gloved up. I woke up, like you said, refreshed and clear minded, and stepped up to fight. I was fighting a black guy that was just huge, muscles bulging out everywhere. I ofcourse, was the skinny whiteboy walking to the ring. As I approached the ring I could hear the people in the crowd shouting bets, all wanting the blue corner, I was in the red corner. I looked up and saw this guy in the ring for the first time and was just in shock of the size of the guy. Anyway, had one of the best and cleanest fights in my life. I was 16 and this guy was like 23 or something. I really do believe that having slept right before hand really did help me to focus and show my stuff on this guy. Joe knew what he was doing...............Rockin' :boxing:

sense u didnt mention who won, am guessing you lost :D .. but still, just stepping into the ring and exchanging blows with a guy like that must have made you feel like a winner..

Rockin'
04-26-2005, 04:07 PM
Hell no I didnt lose, I easily won. As I said it was one of my cleanest fights ever. As a matter of fact I found out some time later that the guy actually quit fighting bacause of the fight he had with me. I had him under my complete control. I was freaked when I saw his size but I made the fear work for me rather than against me and did what I had to do to win the fight.............Rockin' :boxing:

jatt the ripper
04-26-2005, 04:12 PM
mental preperation is the key for me.

Pretty Boy
04-26-2005, 04:46 PM
Somebody I know used to be sick prior to every bout.He was a damn good fighter too,could've gone to the Olympics but chose his profession instead.