View Full Version : Fear of losing my first amateur match.

The_One77
04-23-2005, 11:27 AM
I will have my very first amateur match in about 3 months and i was wondeing who i would fight first.
Someone who is inexperienced and is about the same level as me.
Or anyone who wants to fight me, experienced or not?
I desperately don't want to lose my first fight, it's embarrasing! :o

smallispower
04-23-2005, 11:43 AM
this is just me, but if you go against a more experienced one, i'd say you'd learn more than if its you and some guy slugging at eachother. The challange can't hurt, (Well it can physically) but if you want more experience, try your luck.
hope this helps.

Hunna
04-23-2005, 12:00 PM
DONT FIGHT SOMEONE WHOS EXPERIENCED! THIS FACT IS AS PLAIN AND UNIVERSAL AS U CAN GET!
one77 u will definitely be fighting someone with under 5 fites, if ur trainer puts u up against an experienced guy, u will only get hurt, physically and psychologically. trust me man, u will be fighting someone with limited experience. Preferably u should be fighting someone whos had 1 fight. We all have the same feeling of fearing loss, its only human and normal. Focus on grilling ya opponent and u will be right.

The_One77
04-23-2005, 12:01 PM
yeah i know and your actually right heather, but thing is i don't want to embarras my coach and myself if i lose.
You see, my gym has a good reputation for bringing up good amateur fighters and i want to be one of them.

The_One77
04-23-2005, 12:02 PM
thanks hunna :)
thats given me a boost to train harder!

spinksjinx
04-23-2005, 01:17 PM
If you gym has a rep, uphold the rep and do your best....Let your trainer pick who is more compatible for you.

Winning and losing doesnt matter in the amateurs it is all to learn experience. Personally I feel you would lose more in the ring going at in a slug fest with another amateur than getting battered by an experienced one.

2 amateurs will just throw punches like crazy with technique, a experienced will make you box and really test your skills and see if you learned what you learned in the gym.....

Id go the high road.

Tha Greatest
04-23-2005, 01:29 PM
Go with anyone ur trainer puts u with if u have a good rep like SpinxJinx says

And about losing, it's all a learning experience aint like ur on tv or anythin haha

Kid Achilles
04-23-2005, 01:47 PM
If it's your first fight, go with someone who is debuting themself or has one or possibly two fights at the most. This is going to be a completely new experience for you so you don't want a guy who's experienced or any less nervous than you're going to be. This is about you getting used to getting up there and fighting. Better to go too safe than to take a risk at this point in your boxing career.

You might not think so now, but a nasty beating could cause you to quit before you ever really started.

boxer2k5
04-23-2005, 01:49 PM
depends on how you lose

i felt the way i lose hrut more because
i could have won easy but i did ****

so i was really depressed and insecure about my skills and boxing for like 2 weeks

i didnt want to spar i barely wanted to train

im good now
ive been sparring better than ever
training hard

getting ready for my fight may 13th

The_One77
04-23-2005, 05:05 PM
thxs guys!
Btw boxer2k5 is that you at the bottom?

boxer2k5
04-23-2005, 05:53 PM
yea dats me

Pretty Boy
04-23-2005, 07:34 PM
You look like Junior Witter.

Rockin'
04-23-2005, 09:21 PM
Fear in boxing is nothing new. In the fight it will come down to whether you let the fear control you or you control the fear and work off of it.

You may be in a highly recognized gym, but believe me, all of the fighters in there have had their own share of loses. Its not bad too lose as long as you gave it what you had. Ontop of that, who said that you were going to lose. A fighters mental state is huge when stepping up to fight. If you have trained hard and done as you were supposed to then everything will be fine. Step into that ring as a winner and you wil find better results.

I know its a scary thing to do, to step up and fight for the first time. But just remember that the kid that you will throw punches with is probably running the same questions through his mind about you as you are about him. Just step up and give it everything that you have inside of you. If you do that, whether or not you win or lose the bout, the people at The Boxing scene will be proud of you....... and then you should also be proud of yourself.........Rockin' :boxing:

taden
05-01-2005, 10:15 PM
Everyone is afraid,..just suck it up and do your thing. thats all the thought u should put into it.

meeny
05-01-2005, 10:27 PM
if your afraid about losing then you might as well not be in boxing..always train to win..don't go in there being afraid be in there confident your ready for the fight..not just going in there to box make sure you are sure about yourself..never accept "o well i knew i was gonna lose anyway" if your gonna lose..lose doing your best and never question it..

.::EnRiQuE::.
05-01-2005, 10:49 PM
yeah i know and your actually right heather, but thing is i don't want to embarras my coach and myself if i lose.
You see, my gym has a good reputation for bringing up good amateur fighters and i want to be one of them.
as long as you don't quit and fight to your ability, ur not embarrassing anyone

pug1986
05-02-2005, 12:07 PM
depends man. If you mentally prepare and put in your gym work, then you shouldn't have to worry about it. Don't be afraid to lose, if you are good enough you can beat a more experienced opponent.

12 Gauge Shotty
05-02-2005, 01:04 PM
meh i go to the gym evry day im in good shape

Santo
05-03-2005, 06:17 PM
Fear in boxing is nothing new. In the fight it will come down to whether you let the fear control you or you control the fear and work off of it.

You may be in a highly recognized gym, but believe me, all of the fighters in there have had their own share of loses. Its not bad too lose as long as you gave it what you had. Ontop of that, who said that you were going to lose. A fighters mental state is huge when stepping up to fight. If you have trained hard and done as you were supposed to then everything will be fine. Step into that ring as a winner and you wil find better results.

I know its a scary thing to do, to step up and fight for the first time. But just remember that the kid that you will throw punches with is probably running the same questions through his mind about you as you are about him. Just step up and give it everything that you have inside of you. If you do that, whether or not you win or lose the bout, the people at The Boxing scene will be proud of you....... and then you should also be proud of yourself.........Rockin' :boxing:

Well said. :biggthump

When I fist sparred I went up against this guy who had been practicin for 9 months and I only had about 3 1/3 weeks. He was the "most amateur"guy in the Gym that was my weight (Heavy). I was confused bout it at first but the fight went well. Like mentioned before, you learn a lot more fighting someone with more experience than you.

boxerman
05-03-2005, 11:53 PM
If its a bout that USA boxing is overseeing, they will match you up with someone equal ( record wise ) to your ability. If its a regular club bout and they arent that many people participating, they have it in their rules to match you up with someone within 7 to 10 lbs of your weight i belive. However, if this is the case then you and/or your trainer has to agree.

BoxingPromoter
05-04-2005, 01:54 PM
I will have my very first amateur match in about 3 months and i was wondeing who i would fight first.
Someone who is inexperienced and is about the same level as me.
Or anyone who wants to fight me, experienced or not?
I desperately don't want to lose my first fight, it's embarrasing! :o

The One77, I lost my first amateur fight after getting beat pretty bad by an experienced boxer(you can read about it on the thread,"worst boxing experience"). And it proved to be my last, I guess I didn't have the heart or the killer instinct you need to have to suceed in boxing. What happened was; I was supposed to fight another amateur kid at my boxing gym who was inexperienced like me. The night of the fight, we both weighed in and the other kid was too heavy for my weight class, so I was matched against another kid who had experience.I didn't want to back down and look like a punk, so I went ahead with the fight.
After 2-3 standing 8 counts, the referee to my relief, stopped the fight in the first round.

So, my advise to you is, try to have your trainer match you to an opponent who is on your same level. And also, do alot of sparring so you get used to how three rounds feels like going at full pace and the intesity of a competitive boxing match. That's what I lacked before my first bout, the experience and conditioning a fighter gets from sparring.

Mr. Ryan
05-04-2005, 02:02 PM
this is just me, but if you go against a more experienced one, i'd say you'd learn more than if its you and some guy slugging at eachother. The challange can't hurt, (Well it can physically) but if you want more experience, try your luck.
hope this helps.
heather
No No No No No! You're trainer will not put you in there with someone who is too experienced for you in your first bout. No way around it. If you get ****ed up bad, unless you got balls of steel or are bitter about not having a girlfriend, you will not mentally want to get back in there. When beginning the amateurs, never go in a bout against a guy who is too experienced (If its just a show you can do that, don't get into tournaments until you know you're ****) or you are unprepared.

Slipx
05-04-2005, 08:55 PM
spinks sig owns this board

leff
05-05-2005, 01:41 PM
i remeber my first fight, it was my opponents 5th fight.

i was damn nervous before the fight but i kinda lost it when we began fighting.

i lost 17-23 but i got 3 standing counts which i didnt deserve cause i was never shaken, so it should have been 20-23.

i rocked him bad in the 3d round, but didnt have the energy to follow upp on it.

my advice would be 1 be in the best shape possibel(trust me the extra will pay off in the ring).

2 fight someone at your own level

3 try relax(im saying try cause i know it was very difficult to relax).

4 box him, dont fight him(i didnt box i slugged it out and lost).

5keep your hands upp

good luck

dionysusolympus
05-05-2005, 02:07 PM
one thing from martial arts: remember, fear (of anything) is in the mind first. if you believe you can overcome an obstacle, you (quite possibly) can.

The_One77
05-05-2005, 03:40 PM
Life's a fight and everyone gets knocked down, its depends how fast you get up.

.:UK RuPtUrE:.
05-06-2005, 05:53 PM
speaking from experience im sayin no matter what you do DO NOT go out there and try and kick ass, especially if they have more fights under their belt (forgive pun :p ).

No but seriously do not rush. Keep the basics going. Use ur common sense.

If u do rush u will get counter punched jus like sum boi at my gym who beat every1 but then came up against harder opponent and got counter punched all-day.

Having said that dont let them intimidate you. Take centre stage.

Good luck :D