View Full Version : Fights of the Decade?

Obama
12-17-2009, 01:07 AM
I'm looking for a list of Ring Magazine's Fights of the Decade. I don't know if there is even anything outside of the 80s and 90s. I believe it's as follows:

1980s - Aaron Pryor vs Alexis Arguello I
1990s - Julio Cesar Chavez vs Meldrick Taylor I

I don't have anything to validate these...so help would be appreciated.

JAB5239
12-17-2009, 02:15 AM
I'm looking for a list of Ring Magazine's Fights of the Decade. I don't know if there is even anything outside of the 80s and 90s. I believe it's as follows:

Can't help you my man, but I'd bet Corrales-Castillo 1 will be fight of the decade for the 00's.

Calilloyd
12-17-2009, 02:26 AM
Can't help you my man, but I'd bet Corrales-Castillo 1 will be fight of the decade for the 00's.

Absolutely. It doesn't get any better than that. Neither fighter was the same after that in a similar way to Ali-Frazier 3.

DonTaseMeBrah
12-17-2009, 03:17 AM
fight of the decade for the 2000s imo is mahyar monshipour vs Somsak Sithchatchawal. but the fact that they are not known in the boxing mainstream they wont even get a mention.

BOLLOCKS
12-17-2009, 03:18 AM
Barrera-Morales I

Obama
12-17-2009, 04:46 AM
I can guarantee the fight of this decade will be either:

Corrales vs Castillo I or Gatti vs Ward I

Whether you agree those should be it or not is another story, one of those is going to take it. Considering one of the fighters is now dead in both fights, there's no sentimental leverage between the two. The better fight should take it. And Corrales vs Castillo is the better fight to me because it was more competitive. Gatti pretty much dominated Ward most of the fight and just got beat the hell up in a couple rounds. The judging was terrible in my opinion, the best Ward deserved was a draw.

RockyB
12-17-2009, 04:58 AM

Whether you agree those should be it or not is another story, one of those is going to take it. Considering one of the fighters is now dead in both fights, there's no sentimental leverage between the two. The better fight should take it. And Corrales vs Castillo is the better fight to me because it was more competitive. Gatti pretty much dominated Ward most of the fight and just got beat the hell up in a couple rounds. The judging was terrible in my opinion, the best Ward deserved was a draw.

Both are absolutely GREAT fights.
but i think Gatti-Ward was more entertaining. just my opinion though. :)

Obama
12-17-2009, 05:07 AM
Both are absolutely GREAT fights.
but i think Gatti-Ward was more entertaining. just my opinion though. :)

Just tell me you didn't score it for Ward?

JAB5239
12-17-2009, 05:11 AM

It was also fought at a higher level of skill imo.

1SILVA
12-17-2009, 11:00 AM

Excellent assessment. I always felt Toney-Jirov was better than gatti-Ward as far as skill and overall quality of the fight in general.

1SILVA
12-17-2009, 11:01 AM

The World Boxing magazine family(which now owns Ring and created KO as well) had as its fight of the 70's Ali-Frazier I.

BennyST
12-17-2009, 11:58 PM
Excellent assessment. I always felt Toney-Jirov was better than gatti-Ward as far as skill and overall quality of the fight in general.

This is possibly my favourite fight of all time so far.

RightCross94
12-18-2009, 12:18 AM

Yeah for sure, Corrales and Castillo weren't master technicians but they mixed up lots of good things like inside fighting, power punching, body work etc while also keeping just an overall higher grade of technique than Gatti-Ward.

Gatti-Ward was like a freaking Rocky movie or something, they just took turns punching the **** out of each other.

oldgringo
12-18-2009, 01:02 AM

Agreed. That's what does it for me. A good fight between two highly skilled great fighters is better to watch than an all out war between two lesser skilled fighters in my opinion.

I agree here as well. Toney/Jirov WAS the fight of the year in 2003 in my opinion. Those guys were fighting such a closely contested, relentless action fight at a high pace for twelve rounds. Toney is as naturally skilled as anyone throughout the history of the sport and Jirov is a bit underrated in that regard...the man was an elite Cruiserweight at his peak.

Heru
12-18-2009, 01:27 AM

That was a great fight no doubt, but Pryor-Arguello wasn't named FOTY that year, so it's like admitting that they ****ed up.

Obama
12-18-2009, 07:13 PM
That was a great fight no doubt, but Pryor-Arguello wasn't named FOTY that year, so it's like admitting that they ****ed up.

Pretty much. There's just one thing. Seems to me FOTD has to have some kind of large historical impact. I wouldn't call Ali-Frazier I, Pryor-Arguello I, or Chavez-Taylor I the best fight of their respective decades.

70s Foreman-Lyle was my favorite
80s Chacon-Edwards II
90s Gatti-Robinson I

But none of those fights were nearly as important as the ones who got the award.

Anyways, thanks 1Silva.

talip bin osman
12-18-2009, 07:14 PM
lennox vs vitali should be a consideration IMO...

but gatti-ward 1 was very movie-like...

i wont argue with it if its chosen...

chimeara27
12-18-2009, 09:23 PM
well another boxing history will goin to happen when manny pacquiao beat mayweather on march 13.

Obama
12-18-2009, 09:28 PM
well another boxing history will goin to happen when manny pacquiao beat mayweather on march 13.

Pac/Mayweather will count for the 2010s. You'll have to wait another 10 years to find out if it's the FOTD.

GJC
12-19-2009, 09:09 AM
Pretty much. There's just one thing. Seems to me FOTD has to have some kind of large historical impact. I wouldn't call Ali-Frazier I, Pryor-Arguello I, or Chavez-Taylor I the best fight of their respective decades.

70s Foreman-Lyle was my favorite
80s Chacon-Edwards II
90s Gatti-Robinson I

But none of those fights were nearly as important as the ones who got the award.

Anyways, thanks 1Silva.
Think the historical context has to have some bearing really or at least the fight that most people have seen. Foreman-Lyle was a great fight but everyone, even people who had no interest in boxing, watched Ali Frazier 1.
The fact that the fight delivered and was a very good fight cemented it I guess.

PeterTheGreat
12-21-2009, 06:54 AM
For the 00's theres the Vasquez-Marquez Trilogy. There third fight probly being the best. I think this trilogy is even better then the Ali-Frazier fights.

bojangles1987
12-27-2009, 08:34 AM

Personally I think Gatti-Ward is overrated. Great fights but not on the level of Corrales-Castillo, which had heart and a high level of skill, not to mention the freaking 10th.

Give me Vazquez-Marquez III over Gatti-Ward any day.

Anti~Jalandoni
12-27-2009, 10:47 PM
Packy - Morales One

1SILVA
12-28-2009, 12:21 AM
Think the historical context has to have some bearing really or at least the fight that most people have seen. Foreman-Lyle was a great fight but everyone, even people who had no interest in boxing, watched Ali Frazier 1.
The fact that the fight delivered and was a very good fight cemented it I guess.

Historically, fights with huge hype fail to deliver. Ali-Frazier I and Leonard-Hearns were rare in that it was two fights that not only had big hype, but gave the public everything that was expected and more.

Third Degree MM
12-28-2009, 02:19 AM
Toney-Jirov
Corrales-Castillo 1
Gatti vs Ward I
Monshipour-Sithchatchawal
Vazquez-Marquez 3

all were Great fights! but in my personal opinion, Barrera-Morales 1 takes it, 2 Great fighters in their Prime going 12 full rounds.

Bigdaddy_Vh
12-28-2009, 02:32 PM
2000: Erik Morales W12 Marco Antonio Barrera I
2001: Micky Ward W10 Emanuel Burton
2002: Micky Ward W10 Arturo Gatti I
2003: Arturo Gatti W10 Micky Ward III
2004: Marco Antonio Barrera W12 Erik Morales III
2005: Diego Corrales KO10 Josť Luis Castillo I
2006: Somsak Sithchatchawal KO10 Mahyar Monshipour
2007: Israel Vazquez KO 6 Rafael Marquez II
2008: Israel Vazquez W12 Rafael Marquez III

here's the list from this decade of their fights of the year. surely gatti ward 1 or corrales castillo will win

nomadman
12-29-2009, 12:27 PM
2006: Somsak Sithchatchawal KO10 Mahyar Monshipour

This fight was absolutely crazy. Just non-stop punching for ten rounds. I remember I got so caught up in the action in round two that I lost track of things and thought we were already half way through the fight. Never seen anything like it.