View Full Version : Who's the best defensive fighter of all-time?

Sugarr
12-16-2009, 11:58 PM
Who is it and why?

Dondi33O
12-17-2009, 12:02 AM
Will o' the Wisp.

them_apples
12-17-2009, 04:16 AM
I'm going to go with Benitez. As with all Defensive guys though, a lot of it is because they don't throw much leather back themselves.

Against orthodox fighters I'd give Floyd a nod to.

you can stick James Toney in there as well as B-Hop, in there primes they were very defensive.

Obama
12-17-2009, 05:54 AM
I'm going to go with Benitez. As with all Defensive guys though, a lot of it is because they don't throw much leather back themselves.

Against orthodox fighters I'd give Floyd a nod to.

you can stick James Toney in there as well as B-Hop, in there primes they were very defensive.

B-Hop is more defensive now than he was in his prime. Go take a look at how "defensive" he was in his late 90s fights, Echols I at the top of the list. :boxing:

Toney is just as defensive as he ever was, it's just no longer as good as it used to be. His reflexes are gone. Hard to say whether B-Hop's reflexes are any worse now. They were never really that great to begin with. His defense comes from a game plan, not too much improvisation in it. I think his problem is just his old legs.

Anyways my pick is Whitaker.

RockyB
12-17-2009, 05:56 AM
im NOT a Mayweather fan, and i hate saying it, but Floyds defence is great!

JAB5239
12-17-2009, 06:13 AM
Pea or Pep in my opinion.

RightCross94
12-17-2009, 06:24 AM
Do you mean the highest placed defensive fighter on the aTG list? Or the fighter who had the best defence from a technical standpoint?

If the former, Willie Pep. If the latter, Mayweather, Toney, Pea, Benitez are all up there

pelonxsoldier28
12-17-2009, 11:06 AM
sweet pea and mayweather. i'd rather watch a sweet pea fight cause he was way more active

TheGreatA
12-17-2009, 12:23 PM
Do you mean the highest placed defensive fighter on the aTG list? Or the fighter who had the best defence from a technical standpoint?

If the former, Willie Pep. If the latter, Mayweather, Toney, Pea, Benitez are all up there

Agreed and I'd add Nicolino Locche.

Unfortunately there's no film of Holman Williams that I know of but he was generally regarded as the best defensive fighter of the so-called "Murderer's Row" which included the likes of Charley Burley and Archie Moore who are both very impressive defensively on film.

murmagic
12-17-2009, 05:02 PM
if floyd makes pacman look like maquez in their fight then floyd takes it

GJC
12-17-2009, 05:06 PM
Ezzard resembles Kid Chocolate in that avatar lol.
Duran had a very under rated defence but for me Pep with an honourable mention to Whitaker.
Mayweather has the skills but would like to see him use them against someone for who he needs a defence.

Calilloyd
12-17-2009, 10:42 PM
Who is it and why?

Pernell Whitaker. This is why

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/_G5v_PNsl4Q&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/_G5v_PNsl4Q&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

<object width="384" height="313"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/yjTHLPmfBCQ&hl=en_US&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/yjTHLPmfBCQ&hl=en_US&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="384" height="313" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

Calilloyd
12-17-2009, 10:49 PM
Who is it and why?

There are a few who I could have also picked

Willie Pep

Floyd Mayweather Jr.

Niccolino Locche- had the least amount of offense of any of them though.

PeterTheGreat
12-21-2009, 07:59 AM
Even though Mayweather Jr. And Whitaker are probly some of the best defencive fighters of all time you gotta give props to guys like Nicolino Locche and Willie Pep for making defencive fighters what they are today.

Oselav
12-21-2009, 09:53 AM
From a heavy weight prospective, Jack Johnson looks pretty impressive on film. Fast feet that he used to keep out of range with

Ali was also very good at avoiding punches in his youth. Low hands but great head movement and lateral movement

For blocking punches and protecting key parts of body & head - Mayweather & Moore

For lateral movement - Pep

For body movement/using waist and height - Whitaker