View Full Version : Tyson's Training in the 80's (in detail) plus videoclips

JUYJUY
04-22-2005, 01:07 AM
Following on from this thread - http://www.boxingscene.com/forums/showthread.php?t=32926&page=1&pp=10

There's a more detailed anaylsis in this thread - http://www.boxingscene.com/forums/showthread.php?t=33785

Up until he fired Kevin Rooney in 1988, his ONLY diet was steak, pasta and fruit juice. How's that for discipline?

Daily Regime (7 days a week):
5am: get up and go for a 3 mile jog
6am: come back home shower and go back to bed (great workout for those huge legs of his)
10am wake up: eat oatmeal
12pm: do ring work (10 rounds of sparring)
2pm: have another meal (steak and pasta with fruit juice drink)
3pm: more ring work and 60 mins on the exercise bike (again working those huge legs for endurance)
5pm: 2000 sit-ups; 500-800 dips; 500 press-ups; 500 shrugs with a 30kg barbell and 10 mins of neck exercises
7pm: steak and pasta meal again with fruit juice (orange i think it was)
8pm: another 30 minutes on the exercise bike
then watch TV and then go to bed.

(Before jogging in the morning he did a lot of stretching followed by 10 jumps onto boxes and 10 bursts of sprints, then he went jogging. At 12pm he sparred. At 3pm he did focus mitt work or heavy bag work inside the ring. He warmed up for all ring work with light exercises such as skipping or shadow boxing or speed ball. At 5pm Tyson did 10 quick circuits, each circuit consisting of: 200 sit-ups, then 25-40 dips, then 50 press-ups, then 25-40 dips, then 50 shrugs, followed by 10 mins of neck work on the floor. What an animal! Tyson said that the shrugs "built his shoulders up" to help unleash punches with his short arms whilst at the same time building endurance in the neck. It should be noted though that Tyson couldn't do any more than 50 sit-ups a day and 50 press-ups a day when he was 13, but gradually increasing the reps each week got him to a higher level over many years, so that he was doing 2000 sit-ups inside 2 hours every day by the time he was 20.)

Mike told Ian Durke (Sky commentator) his above workout regime when he visited England to watch a Frank Bruno fight in March 1987. Durke told Mike that Bruno trained like a bodybuilder and asked Mike about this, but Mike said that floor exercises and natural exercises work better. Mike explained that his punch-power comes from nothing more than heavy bag work "works your strength through the hips" he said, despite doing shrugs with a barbell he said that lifting weights has about as much resemblance to punching as "cheesecake" (contradicting himself though due to doing shrugs). But his mentor Cus D'Amato realised that, due to Tyson's style, he needed punch-power (not that he didn't have it naturally anyway). So Cus got Mike very heavy bags to hit for a 13 yr old, and Cus gradually increased the weight of the bags Tyson used over time so that by the age of 18-19 Tyson was banging bags that no other man could budge! Also, Cus used to order Tyson to go jog 3 miles with 50lbs on his back because he didn't want Mike growing any taller (because it didn't suit his style)!

There will never be another Tyson, he has the quickest ever knockout in amateur history (6 seconds or something stupid) at the junior olympics in 1981, then he became the youngest ever heavyweight champion of the world (20 years old, 1986). It's a shame that a number of events caused his downfall - Jimmy Jacobs dying, falling out with Bill Cayton, firing Kevin Rooney, Don King entering his life, Desiree Washington messing his head up, etc. But let's not forget that Iron Mike saved a dying sport!

Check out these awesome 'young' Tyson videoclips:
Tyson clip 1 (http://www.sudo.hs.kr/~sun/Mike_Tyson-2.wmv)
Tyson clip 2 (http://vod01.damoim.net/data/2004/1225/13923795_1103985635.wmv)

JUYJUY
04-22-2005, 01:12 AM
I do miss the days when he was THE BADDEST MAN ON THE PLANET :(

Kid Achilles
04-22-2005, 01:38 AM
He really did work his ass off early on in his career. I wish he could have kept that frenzied pace up and he never would fallen into the shape he's currently in.

It's really sad when you sit down and think about it. Tyson was the last heavyweight to truly train with a balls to the wall "overtraining, what the hell does that mean?" mentality.

Makes you wonder if today's Tyson would even last one round with the 1986-88 version.

Living Legend
04-22-2005, 01:46 AM
I do miss the days when he was THE BADDEST MAN ON THE PLANET :(
I can't say much about tyson, I just want to see him knock some more people out before he retires...

akins12732
04-22-2005, 05:25 PM
how many more times are people gonna post this?

kapersky
04-22-2005, 08:39 PM
He really did work his ass off early on in his career. I wish he could have kept that frenzied pace up and he never would fallen into the shape he's currently in.

It's really sad when you sit down and think about it. Tyson was the last heavyweight to truly train with a balls to the wall "overtraining, what the hell does that mean?" mentality.

Makes you wonder if today's Tyson would even last one round with the 1986-88 version.

he wouldnt last 30seconds. from the day he fire rooney i havent seen him showing "fire" in his eyes when he fight. didnt holyfield said that only one he seen that trained harder than him was tyson?.
and we all know how well trained holyfield always was.

JUYJUY
04-23-2005, 05:18 AM
Desiree Washington messing his head up!
Sorry I meant Robin Givens not Desiree Washington, but anyway their both *****es.

Hunna
04-23-2005, 11:43 AM
Mike still is baddest man on planet!

The_One77
04-23-2005, 12:19 PM
i'm suprised noone actually DIED! against him in the ring.
A killer by instinct.

XionComrade
04-23-2005, 05:46 PM
Did he hurt anyone like Tszyu and Norton did?

JUYJUY
04-24-2005, 04:19 AM
i'm suprised noone actually DIED!
A lot of people, back in the 80's, genuinely believed that it was only a matter of time before Tyson killed somebody in the ring.

JUYJUY
04-28-2005, 06:30 AM
bump for those who missed it

meeny
04-29-2005, 06:28 PM
he was always my favorite boxer..and i will always think he was the best back in the beginning of his career..every boxer, boxing fan will always respect tysons skills in the 80's

JUYJUY
04-30-2005, 02:15 AM
I never saw a fighter make things look so easy as a Young Tyson did.
Post-Rooney he fell apart though both inside and outside the ring, he just stopped ****ing training and started partying before fights and ****.

buff_mike10
04-30-2005, 08:27 PM
Those video's are great, so much speed and power, best ever in his prime.

BadMagick
04-30-2005, 10:43 PM
Did he hurt anyone like Tszyu and Norton did?

What do you mean, did he hurt anyone? He practically killed some people.

toehead
05-01-2005, 04:57 AM
I think he's refering to Nortan breaking Ali's jaw? other than Mitchell's knee injury (that he came in the ring with) i don't know of any other "bad" injuries Kostya caused...

Kid Achilles
05-01-2005, 03:26 PM
Tyson never broke a bone or caused a serious injury in an opponent. Another reason why I think his power is overrated. Even Valuev has broken many of his opponents's ribs.

12 Gauge Shotty
05-01-2005, 05:10 PM
lol hey dude i saw that hamster pic on google images is tht whr u gt it from :rolleyes:

12 Gauge Shotty
05-01-2005, 05:11 PM
and oh yeah megadeth ROCK

Johnny_Rocket
05-02-2005, 10:00 PM
Tyson never broke a bone or caused a serious injury in an opponent. Another reason why I think his power is overrated. Even Valuev has broken many of his opponents's ribs.

Umm what about his fight with Golota? Didn't he break Golota's jaw or cheekbones or something? He had to have broken Sammy Scaff's (I believe) nose. That thing just exploded with blood.

Journeyman
05-03-2005, 03:52 AM
nice vids and info...Im one of those that believe Tyson still has a chance at becoming world champ again.

theWarhawk46
05-05-2005, 06:40 PM
Tyson broke Razor Ruddock's jaw in their rematch in 1991...

He broke Andrew Golota's cheek-bone, and damaged a vertebre in his neck I believe.

He has broken noses...

And, most importantly, he has broken many fighters careers. The 1980's gets trashed unrightfully...there were a lot of good, talented fighters in the 1980s. Many of these guys met up with iron mike and were never the same.

XionComrade
05-05-2005, 07:24 PM
lol hey dude i saw that hamster pic on google images is tht whr u gt it from :rolleyes:

No, It was off of PlanetBoredom I think, its been a while

Kostya has broken ribs, busted kidneys, and broken jaws before!

EXIGE
05-09-2005, 06:44 PM
I really love that left hook.

I like the way he takes the piss out of Larry Holmes.
Larry Holmes - one of the greatest. erm not when Tysons around.

Also i like the way he turns al of that body weight of his opponents in to a chor for them to pick up once they are on the floor. The clips show how he one punched loadsa people and then they were left with the task of gettin up in 10 seconds just to find that they were down within the round again (like that dude with the afro).

nice work Tyson ... good luck with comeback .. im a supporter all the way!

buff_mike10
05-09-2005, 10:28 PM
Tyson broke Razor Ruddock's jaw in their rematch in 1991...

He broke Andrew Golota's cheek-bone, and damaged a vertebre in his neck I believe.

He has broken noses...

And, most importantly, he has broken many fighters careers. The 1980's gets trashed unrightfully...there were a lot of good, talented fighters in the 1980s. Many of these guys met up with iron mike and were never the same.
Thats true, Michael Spinks, Tyrell Biggs, Razor Ruddock, Frank Bruno, ect ect ect. No one had a chance to be great with prime Tyson in the ring

Dio2
05-11-2005, 06:32 PM
Great post Juyjuy, where did you get the info about his workout?

Warhawk46
05-16-2005, 12:42 AM
That's what I was saying buddy....

Because Tyson, in his short prime, was so dominant other fighter who might have been very good did not look great against him. He ruined some fighters' careers, no doubt about that. Getting KO's the way Tyson can KO you, it messes up the mind and many fighters who might have been very very good didnt fully recover from their KO to Tyson.

jiggyjaguar
01-23-2006, 07:28 PM
"500 shrugs with a 30kg barbell"

I was wondering if this was Back shurgs or Shoulder shrugs. I would like to build up to 500 but I was wondering if it was back shrugs cause if you see any early Tyson fights his back looked like he had wings. However it could be shoulder shurgs because of his powerful shoulders?

Anyone can clear this up I would appreicate it.

BlueBlazer
01-23-2006, 09:10 PM
Take no notice of that routine, I've found out that the whole thing was just made up by some lunatic on the Larry Holmes forum.

Verstyle
01-23-2006, 09:56 PM

he's broken noses(sammy scaff.*split nose*,jesse furgeson*broken nose*. knocked ppl's teeth(michael jack johnson)(mitch green*knocked out his bridge work out*) and stuff like that.

edit:1-19-07. also hes broken jaws(ruddock 2)

Verstyle
01-19-2007, 10:44 PM
gotta bring it back

Greatest_D
01-20-2007, 03:37 AM
That routine looks suspect as hell. How can a human being withstand that much physical work 24/7? I'm pretty sure I've also seen Mike do weight training; squats, overhead press, military press and more. WTF?

Verstyle
01-20-2007, 09:14 AM
That routine looks suspect as hell. How can a human being withstand that much physical work 24/7? I'm pretty sure I've also seen Mike do weight training; squats, overhead press, military press and more. WTF?

after prison he did.and all of that stuff is spread within 10hours

-Antonio-
01-20-2007, 01:28 PM
That workout is unbelievable. Mike was a machine.

KidDynamite86
01-20-2007, 04:12 PM
I really wouldn't take it into that much consideration. According to that, he did no jump rope, mitt work, and suprisingly, no heavybag work.

Unless I hear it from Rooney, I doubt that's what he did.

ikon
01-20-2007, 06:51 PM
Take no notice of that routine, I've found out that the whole thing was just made up by some lunatic on the Larry Holmes forum.
^
Though I don't like reviving threads.

Verstyle
01-20-2007, 07:02 PM
there is a video somewhere around this forum with that guy that interviewed him and tyson. and he does say alot of that stuff

KidDynamite86
01-20-2007, 08:39 PM
there is a video somewhere around this forum with that guy that interviewed him and tyson. and he does say alot of that stuff

Really?? I'd really like to see that. Coming from Tyson would be even better than coming from Rooney :D

-Antonio-
01-20-2007, 08:59 PM
I had a feeling it was atleast a bit fabricated. That work out seems way too intense.

Verstyle
01-20-2007, 09:02 PM
I had a feeling it was atleast a bit fabricated. That work out seems way too intense.

i cant find the video. but more then 1 person has posted this workout. but on the video i cant ****in find he says it

Greatest_D
01-20-2007, 11:36 PM
Until I see that video, I'm gonna have to call BS.

Verstyle
01-20-2007, 11:38 PM
Until I see that video, I'm gonna have to call BS.

i dont blame you. damn i wish i remembered where it was:nonono:

j
01-20-2007, 11:46 PM
take this for what it's worth, but i thought i remember that tyson did mostly pull ups to work his arms and not much more else.

am i wrong or thinkling of another fighter? i am sure i heard that about tyson.