View Full Version : Sam Langford

Joey Giardello
12-14-2009, 11:26 PM
One of the all time best, beat joe gans who at the time was lighweight champion at the age of 17! how high do you rate langford and how does he match up with these 5 fighters below

Jessie Willird
louis Firpo
Harry Greb
Billy Papke
Jack dempsey

Southpaw16BF
12-14-2009, 11:31 PM
One of the all time best, beat joe gans who at the time was lighweight champion at the age of 17! how high do you rate langford and how does he match up with these 5 fighters below

Jessie Willird
louis Firpo
Harry Greb
Billy Papke
Jack dempsey

All very hard fights to pick. Willard and Firpo would have huge phyiscal advantages over Langford. But if a prime Langford could defeat big men like Mcvea and Jeannete. I wound't be surprised it were to do it to here.

If Dempsey would of fought the shot Langford that was offered but still turned down, he would of knocked out without much trouble. A prime Langford do would have a great chance.

Dempsey was in fear even of a old Langford. So there is a chance he may of froze against against Langford at his peak.

I think he may have scored the KO victory over Papke at 160lb. Just to good of a fighter.

Greb and Langford in my opinion are just to hard to split in a fanstay fight and accomplsiments.

BTW Mr Giardello stick around on the history section. You're a great addition and add something new to the forum. :fing02:

Joey Giardello
12-14-2009, 11:34 PM
All very hard fights to pick. Willard and Firpo would have huge phyiscal advantages over Langford. But if a prime Langford could defeat big men like Mcvea and Jeannete. I wound't be surprised it were to do it to here.

If Dempsey would of fought the shot Langford that was offered but still turned down, he would of knocked out without much trouble. A prime Langford do would have a great chance.

Dempsey was in fear even of a old Langford. So there is a chance he may of froze against against Langford at his peak.

I think he may have scored the KO victory over Papke at 160lb. Just to good of a fighter.

Greb and Langford in my opinion are just to hard to split in a fanstay fight and accomplsiments.

BTW Mr Giardello stick around on the history section. You're a great addition and add something new to the forum. .:fing02

thanks southpaw.

Southpaw16BF
12-14-2009, 11:36 PM
thanks southpaw.

No problem. BTW I love the avater name of a great and underrated little fighter in Joey......:boxing:

Great little fight at his peak, also a very nice person,

Joey Giardello
12-14-2009, 11:50 PM
No problem. BTW I love the avater name of a great and underrated little fighter in Joey......:boxing:

Great little fight at his peak, also a very nice person,

Yeah joey never had no amateur experience and learned his trade as he went along as a pro, had 3 hard fights with dick tiger! joey never avoided no one, terry downes said giardello was the strongest fight he fought

Obama
12-15-2009, 12:04 AM

Jessie Willird
louis Firpo
Harry Greb
Billy Papke
Jack dempsey

#2 all time p4p

KOs Willard
KOs Firpo
Might drop a decision to Greb
KOs Papke
KOs Dempsey

Dempsey was scared of him when he was already past it, prime for prime Dempsey would vacate the title if forced to fight the man.

JAB5239
12-15-2009, 05:57 AM
#2 all time p4p

KOs Willard
KOs Firpo
Might drop a decision to Greb
KOs Papke
KOs Dempsey

Dempsey was scared of him when he was already past it, prime for prime Dempsey would vacate the title if forced to fight the man.

I agree with Obama here. Greb is the only one I give a chance to out point Langford. Either man could win on any given night.

Sugarr
12-15-2009, 03:19 PM
He's a top 10 all-time great, for sure. I was always impressed that a man of his size could accomplish so much.

He was really the older version of Manny Pacquiao. Starting in the smaller divisions and kept climbing up. The difference however, is that Langford climbed up more weight classes than Pacquiao. He started as a featherweight, I believe, and ended up at heavyweight. That's about 70 pounds.

It's a shame that he couldn't get a world title shot, but I think he'll be remembered as the greatest fighter to never win a world title.

cotto16
12-15-2009, 07:52 PM
He's a top 10 all-time great, for sure. I was always impressed that a man of his size could accomplish so much.

He was really the older version of Manny Pacquiao. Starting in the smaller divisions and kept climbing up. The difference however, is that Langford climbed up more weight classes than Pacquiao. He started as a featherweight, I believe, and ended up at heavyweight. That's about 70 pounds.

It's a shame that he couldn't get a world title shot, but I think he'll be remembered as the greatest fighter to never win a world title.

another difference you forgot was langford wouldnt ask fighters to boil down to catch weights like manny does

GJC
12-15-2009, 08:14 PM
I would say Pake, Willard and Firpo have no chance. Dempsey has a chance and Greb has a good chance.

eslubin
12-24-2009, 01:21 AM
Langford KO3 Willard, sched unlimited
Langford KO2 Firpo, sched 15
Langford W20 Greb
Langford KO7 Papke, sched 20
Langford W10 Dempsey. Anything longer he stops Jack